Anyone try the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board?

digitz

120 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

I have this motherboard, having some problems picking up my hard disks in Disk Utility. Has anyone found a solution for the audio/LAN yet?

I can see people mentioning in this thread that they have to copy a kext file over to OS X and it'll work fine, but how is this supposed to be done when the OS won't even install in the first place?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can confirm this motherboard to be working with Leopard as well.

Currently having 10.5.1 installed. Spent quite some time getting my xfx 7950 Gt 512 MB to work; finally after flashing the bios of my gpu card it works fine.

My system:

AMD X2 4400+ (939)

Samsung HDD ( IDE master)

DVD-ROm (IDE Slave)

Geforce 7950GT (PCI-e)

There are though several issues left to be solved:

1. UDMA on my IDE interface not yet working so it's damn slow

2. Onboard NIC not yet working (though I have good hope it'll be working since it does work in Tiger, thumbs up once again to orByte )

3. My connected SATA drives are not yet recognized (related to 1?)

4. Haven't tried sound yet.

Anyway, it would be nice if people looking for solutions to get this board fully working in Leopard post their instructions here.

I will try to fix some stuff as well the next few days

Ciao!

The JMicron sata2 controller also works by adding the device ID (see one of the first posts in this thread)

It appears that the trick to add sata1 (the Uli chipset controller) to work by using the device ID in the AppleVIAATA.kext does not work. Also there's no UDMA on the IDE controller even, which, sucks.

Anyway I will continue to look further into this.

Anyone else has some tips how to get UDMA, SATAI or sound working? Hopefully the ethernet driver is to be modified with Tiger as well!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi there my first post here!!

i am a noob and i need help,

can anybody tell me with simple words how to install the lan kext for this board?

what i did is i downloaded the zip, i extract it to desktop ,i moved the kext file to system/library/extensions/and the lan was working. After the second boot when login a message appears on screen that tells me that the kext is not installed properly kai needs reinstall.when i install it again after the second boot the same.

what am i doing wrong?or someone tell me a simple way to install it please!!!!

i have read the topic and if that helps,i would like to tell you that i have download Myzar 10.4.9 dvd and installed it to my pc (Ashrock 939 dual sata2,AMD 3200,1g ram,gforce 5200),and it worked fine.Actually this is the first time i hade a succesfull installation after many dvd's i have downloaded. I just put in IDE 1 the dvd drive in slave and a maxtor 20gb hd as master. After the installation i put in ide 2 a maxtror 20 gb hd (with ubuntu) as slave and the dvd drive as master ,in ide 1 as master a wd hd 200gb ntfs formated (with data) and the osx maxtor hd as slave and another sata 80 gb wd hd (windows xp ) on a sata conector.

When i boot the pc i just press f11 and at the boot menu if i choose windows disk it boots normaly,also the ubuntu disk and the macosx disk.

The reason i tell you all this is that maybe another person will get help and second i would like to tell you( correct me if i am wrong) that when i boot to macosx the first time i saw a message that tells me that i cant see the linux hd and if i want to unmount it and the dvd is working,so both the ide's are working all the drives are correct in capacity, and also i can see the sata drive,so both ide channels and sata are working,without changing a thing, according to the previous posts. I dont have a sataII hd to check if it works. The ntfs drives are read only. I dont know how to check if udma in enabled but i think not because when i transfer files among the disks the transfer is slow, i will try the methods in the previous post later ,because i got disappointed about the lan kext file that i dont know how to install.

No audio but the lan will be ok if somebody help me.

Sorry for my english, and for the big post.

I hope that maybe someone gets help from this,

and i am waiting for your help!

• 3 months later...

@komakino

I've just made my ethernet work with the kext referenced here (search "M5263" on this excellent forum :) ):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=405457

and followed the instructions. Thanks a lot Common Sense.

Note that you have to copy that kext into your existing IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Followed this for SATA and UDMA to work (Thanks to Black Knight) :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=159731

Everything works except sound ;)

Btw my signature does not refer to this new config. I'll add this one later.

• 8 months later...

Using the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board, managed to get everything working.

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2, most everything working out of box. Used the above tutorials for Ethernet and Sata1 and UDMA to work.

Used the 2 attached kext's to get sound and SATA2 working. The reason why it won't work by editing the VIAATA kexts is because its not part of the ALi/ULi chipset, but part of the JMB360 JMicron chipset that runs the PCIe bridge.

Use kexthelper to install. Should be good to go.

AppleAC97Audio_1.kext.zip

JMicronATA.kext.zip

• 6 months later...

Hi,

when i install a driver for my ati 3870 a blue screen will appear every time. I can only see my mouse and move it. The problem comes with the pkg installer, the efi-string and the dvd-drivers. I tried everything but nothing worked. When i dont install the video-driver it works with "-x". But it dont works when it is installed. I used iPC or iDeneb 1.4...nothing work

I tried it with switching the dvi-cabel -> blue screen

I tried it with a second monitor -> blue screen

I tried it with bios settings, set pciexpress as main -> blue screen

I tried to install osx86 without any additonal stuff and then install the pkg-installer for driver -> blue screen

my specifications:

board: asrock dual-sata2 socket939

cpu: amd athlon x2 4200

graphic: msi ati radeon 3870 HD (ID: 9501)

Ram: 2048 mb

the onboard lan is working with a driver i found here on the board.

please help me

Hi,

We are in the same boat I guess as I have been trying to get my ATI 1950 Pro to work with this MB. So far I have been tracking this video problem for a while and my conclusion is that this MB can support both AGP and PCIE and the problem lies with the display card addressing mechanism by Mac.

In my case, the address for AGP or PCIE alone is 7280. But when one is installing PCIE only, the system will assign an address of 72A0. In such case, when I install the driver for 1950 Pro, it will result in Blue Screen like what you have described. After deleting the driver, the display resume normal with no CI/QE and resolution setting.

I have also attempt to modifiy the Plist of the KEXT by adding 72A0. However, this will result in Kernal Panic. So if some one has solved this problem, please share their solution.

Lugui

Hi,

when i install a driver for my ati 3870 a blue screen will appear every time. I can only see my mouse and move it. The problem comes with the pkg installer, the efi-string and the dvd-drivers. I tried everything but nothing worked. When i dont install the video-driver it works with "-x". But it dont works when it is installed. I used iPC or iDeneb 1.4...nothing work

I tried it with switching the dvi-cabel -> blue screen

I tried it with a second monitor -> blue screen

I tried it with bios settings, set pciexpress as main -> blue screen

I tried to install osx86 without any additonal stuff and then install the pkg-installer for driver -> blue screen

my specifications:

board: asrock dual-sata2 socket939

cpu: amd athlon x2 4200

graphic: msi ati radeon 3870 HD (ID: 9501)

Ram: 2048 mb

the onboard lan is working with a driver i found here on the board.

please help me

when i remove all ati...kext files osx86 is working without safe boot. the soundcard is working too. but i cant change the resolution in the system configurations. with the "graphics mode" command i can change it to 1600x1200 but not to 16:10 (i tried 1900x1200x32). quartz isnt supperted too.

i found this natit: maybe useful Natit3870Megalodon.zip (after this is installed the osx system profiler shows more compatibles but quartz and the change of resolution dont work)

do you have any ideas now? perhaps it helps you to find a way :dev:

edit: i tried it with a ati radeon 3650 -> same problem -> blue screen ;) i updated the bios to 2.30 and tried the kalyway 10.5.2 -> blue screen.

i got a nvidia 8600 GT to work!!! i dont know why this is working. i think i will sell my ati card in ebay and buy a newer nvidia card. i am a ati user since 6 years and now i have to say nvidia rulez :)

i got a nvidia 8600 GT to work!!! i dont know why this is working. i think i will sell my ati card in ebay and buy a newer nvidia card. i am a ati user since 6 years and now i have to say nvidia rulez :D

Hi,

Nice to hear that you have the Nvidia's card working. By the way, can you please confirm whether you are using the PCIE version ?

Thanks

Lugui

• 2 weeks later...

i used the 8600 gt with pciexpress

i installed the latest video driver package from netkas and the nvkush injector. (the nvinjector is working to but there's no quartz extreme support.)

now i'm trying to get my new 260 gtx working. no success yet. i will report if its working too.

• 1 month later...

I`m getting the dual sata2 in a few days, has anyone tried snow leopard?

It`s got a A64 3000+, and i`m thinking about getting a cheap PCIE card (7200gs or something) and use it as a internet and work system.

Should be fast enough..