Anyone try the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board?

digitz

120 posts in this topic

Hi There,

has anybody of the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board user managed to have a working

sound function in OSX?

Network is working using a standard network card, but what about the sound???

Who has a solution?

Thanx in advance

Greetings

URBANsUNITED

Hi There,

sound function in OSX?

Who has a solution?

Thanx in advance

Greetings

URBANsUNITED

No solutions for either yet.

Paul

Hi There,

sound function in OSX?

Who has a solution?

Thanx in advance

Greetings

URBANsUNITED

This is what I'm using...works great right out of the box.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/

• 2 weeks later...
Still trying to figure that out myself too...driving me bonkers...

thanks for the sata tips though guys, added the devices to the viaata only and it worked great!

Both worked without adding the IDs to AppleACHIPort.kext?

Doh, I should add though, I don't have write access to them, just read...that's probably why, but I'd prefer that atm, too much critical data on them, and no need to write to them unless we can't get out IDE channels out of PIO mode...in which case I'll probably swap my install over to a partition on one of the Satas.

edit: Ok, I just checked the AHCIport kext, and the sata device IDs were in there...they must have added themselves, seriously. When I first edited the VIAATA kext and rebooted, I got one of those yellow error boxes when the gui loaded and had no sata, so I repaired permissions and rebooted again, and then the satas showed up...so, hehe, smart OS.

Doh, I should add though, I don't have write access to them, just read...that's probably why, but I'd prefer that atm, too much critical data on them, and no need to write to them unless we can't get out IDE channels out of PIO mode...in which case I'll probably swap my install over to a partition on one of the Satas.

edit: Ok, I just checked the AHCIport kext, and the sata device IDs were in there...they must have added themselves, seriously. When I first edited the VIAATA kext and rebooted, I got one of those yellow error boxes when the gui loaded and had no sata, so I repaired permissions and rebooted again, and then the satas showed up...so, hehe, smart OS.

The reason you don't have write access to them is not because they are SATA, but because they are NTFS more than likely. OS X does not have write access to NTFS, but it does to FAT32. I created a 50 gig partition on my 250gig drive so that I can pass files between Mac and Windows on my 300 gig. Anyways, glad the SATA drives work on the Asrock board.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that makes more sense...strange though, how OSx dosnt 'write' to NTFS drives, or wont allow you to, but it will leave it's little DS.store files and such all over NTFS drives...buggers!

Sad to hear that IDE ist so slow!

I'm thinking of buying an IDE to SATA Adaptor for my beloved 160GB IDE 133 HD and so connect it to the SATA Port. That should give me some speed increase.... Costs only 9 Euros or so

• 3 weeks later...

So, there's no way to enable udma mode on asrock dual sata 2 :( maybe next release .....but why people wrote in wiki page that asrock dual sata2 works good if isn't it?

"Installed native. Everything works except ULi ethernet adapter and SATA/SATA-II."

Sound doesn't work, ide only 3mb/s mode...works what? Sux everythings !

have you tried to install osx native on sata hdd ? is it possible?

Apple move to sell a full working version of mac osx for all machines :D !!!

• 3 weeks later...

This reply is so that people realize that they don't need my AppleVIAATA.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext files. Here are my instructions that were already posted in this thread:

All you have to do is copy the AppleVIAATA.kext from 10.4.4 or if you already have it, just add both of the following device IDs to it. Add DevID of SATAII to the PCI match section of Generic SATA in AppleAHCIPort.kext/contents/info.plist.

The device ids that you need are:

SATA: 0x528910B9

SATAII: 0x2360197B

My files are no different than yours other than those modifications.

This reply is so that people realize that they don't need my AppleVIAATA.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext files. Here are my instructions that were already posted in this thread:

All you have to do is copy the AppleVIAATA.kext from 10.4.4 or if you already have it, just add both of the following device IDs to it. Add DevID of SATAII to the PCI match section of Generic SATA in AppleAHCIPort.kext/contents/info.plist.

The device ids that you need are:

SATA: 0x528910B9

SATAII: 0x2360197B

My files are no different than yours other than those modifications.

Can anyone do my a great favor and send me that file? Please? I've instaled the 10.4.6 by vmware but i really want to try it native if some one could help i really apreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I have this mobo too and i run JaS Install DVD osx 10.4.6. I think im enable secondary IDE Controller on this mobo i dont know how to check if UDMA mode enable too but i think not because speed of transfer is still ~3 MBps. Ok so... I edit

/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGenericPCATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and change line:

<string>0x01010000&0xffff0000</string>

to line:

<string>0x06018A00&0xffff0000</string>

After remove cache and reboot i see devices on both IDE controllers. Mayby is not good solution but it works for me ;-) If anybody enable UDMA mode on ATA disk or built-in sound (realtek 850) on this mobo please write solution in this topic. Sorry for my poor english :-)

Hi Ravic

Thanks for the great tip. Works for my machine to see the other drives on the second ide. The problem is that it does not see the drives corectly. The drives are master 300G slave 200g. The 300 is new not formated and will become the the primary master with room for OSX. The 200 is my old master with Linux and xp. OSX is on an old 10G now and seems to work ok. Linux and xp see the drives fine. OSX sees them as 128 G and 1.5 G? Do others have this problem? Seems like maybe some kext for large hard drives may not be loading? Is there such a thing? I am mostly concerned about the 300 showing up as 128. The 200 may not show up because it is ext3 and ntfs but the 300 is not formated and I think should show as 300 in disk util right? It only shows as 128. I think the 1.5 G partition is a linux swap partition. I will try moving the cables so that the 200 and 300 are on the 1st ide when I can find a longer cable. I don't think that should change any thing though.

Thanks Don

ATA Bus:

Maxtor 6L300R0:

Capacity: 128 GB

Model: Maxtor 6L300R0

Revision: BAJ41G20

Serial Number: Lxxxxxx

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk1

Protocol: ATA

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Maxtor 6L200P0:

Capacity: 1.46 GB

Model: Maxtor 6L200P0

Revision: BAH41G10

Serial Number: LXXXXX

BSD Name: disk2

Unit Number: 1

Hi Ravic

Thanks for the great tip. Works for my machine to see the other drives on the second ide. The problem is that it does not see the drives corectly. The drives are master 300G slave 200g. The 300 is new not formated and will become the the primary master with room for OSX. The 200 is my old master with Linux and xp. OSX is on an old 10G now and seems to work ok. Linux and xp see the drives fine. OSX sees them as 128 G and 1.5 G? Do others have this problem? Seems like maybe some kext for large hard drives may not be loading? Is there such a thing? I am mostly concerned about the 300 showing up as 128. The 200 may not show up because it is ext3 and ntfs but the 300 is not formated and I think should show as 300 in disk util right? It only shows as 128. I think the 1.5 G partition is a linux swap partition. I will try moving the cables so that the 200 and 300 are on the 1st ide when I can find a longer cable. I don't think that should change any thing though.

Thanks Don

ATA Bus:

Maxtor 6L300R0:

Capacity: 128 GB

Model: Maxtor 6L300R0

Revision: BAJ41G20

Serial Number: Lxxxxxx

BSD Name: disk1

Unit Number: 0

Maxtor 6L200P0:

Capacity: 1.46 GB

Model: Maxtor 6L200P0

Revision: BAH41G10

Serial Number: LXXXXX

BSD Name: disk2

Unit Number: 1

I'm pretty sure the reason for this is that AppleGenericATA.kext doesn't support LBA48 which is what lets drives be recognized as larger than 137GB (128GB formatted). Best thing I can suggest is to try and do this edit to one of the other ATA kexts in IOATAFamily.kext and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, first post here, but been lurking a long while...

I've installed 10.4.3 on my Asrock DS2 and I've got both IDE channels out of the box, so to speak! I've got my 80GB IDE drive on IDE#1 and my DVD/RW on IDDE#2 and it installs fine, was the same with 10.4.1!

Going to be installing the Goatsecx 10.4.6 in a few days and I'm hoping for the same success!

Are there any updates on the onboard audio and LAN? Will the Goatsecx DVD address either of them? What about UDMA?

Hi Kup

I used goatsek and have the problem above. Make a good backup of what you have working. If your drives are smaller than 128 G you will be OK. You may have to put both drives on the primary ide to get it to install.

I tried modifying other kext to get larger drives working with no luck. Not sure I did all or properly. I gave up and bought an sata2 drive.

I also bought a cheap usb audio for sound. http://www.gwctech.com/ebproductdetail.asp?id=88 $20 at new egg. Works in stereo only on mac. Ok if you are not to demanding.

Don H

• 2 weeks later...

Goatsecx DVD installed, updated to 10.4.7 and everything patched...

AMD 3700+ - SSE3

Arock Dual Sata II - SATA, SATAII and UDMA

Sapphire 9800 Pro 256MB - QE/CI

Belkin Wireless - Broadcom chipset

Just need to get the audio working, literally everything has been a breeze...asid for deleting the wrong line in boot.plist and needed a reinstall... :D

EDIT: Ok, just moved the drive back over to my SATA, and it gives me a "Waiting for root device" error...back on IDE it's fine... any solutions?