[GUIDE] HP DV7, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard

Mac OS X  

75 members have voted

1. 1. If Apple Would Release an OS X For PC would you buy it?

• Only if it worked with my hardware.
    • Yes!
    • I do not like OS X, i am a windows person.
    • I like OS X but not enough to buy it.
    • I prefer hacking OS X to get it to work.
    • I love the InsanelyMac Community and Mac for PC would take away my joy
  2. 2. Has this guide helped you install OS X?

• YES!
    • No.

46 posts in this topic

Post Installation (Kexts and Fixes):

Ok now remove the OS X installation DVD from your DVD-Rom drive and insert the MBCD Boot disk and boot up to the CD. This time select the Newly installed OS X Hard Drive and type "cpus=1" (Without quotes) and complete the set up process.

1. Now Install the Chameleon bootloader (From "!1 Install" Folder) on to the OS X Hard drive.

2. Move the contents of the folder "!2 Copy to Root" to the root of your HD replacing old files.

3. Move the com.apple.boot.plist from "!3 com.apple.boot.plist" to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

4. Install any Extra Kexts from the "Extra Kexts and Fixes" Folder (Use Kext Helper b7.app to install)

5. Install Qoopz' 10.4.0 Kernel From the "!1 Install" folder. DO NOT Reboot.

6. Install the 10.6.4 Update. (You may get a KP At the end of the install. This is OK just force shut down

7. You should now be booting with out the Boot CD and with all working hard ware. (If some of your hardware is not working simply find the kexts for that hardware and install them using "Kext Helper b7.app")

Dual Boot Preparation:

Now that you have a working OS X Hard Drive and A Working Windows Hard drive. It is time to put them both together and see if they like each-other.

1. Take out the battery and both of the hard drive covers (Hard drive 1 then hard drive 2)

post-538112-1274199476_thumb.jpg

2. Attach the eSATA Cable that came with your secondary hard drive rails to the logic board in the number 2 HD slot. post-538112-1274199998_thumb.jpg

3. Now take your windows installed hard drive and put it in your number two HD slot.

4. Take your Mac Installed Hard Drive and put it in your number one HD Slot

5. Reboot.

Now you should see the beautiful Chameleon boot-loader with options for both Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7. Boot into both and make sure your system is running good.

Downloads:

Kext's and Fixes.

General DV7 Kexts | Last Update: 10/22/2010 Download

Boot CD:

Get it Here | Last Update: 10/22/2010

I am stuck. I have achieved the install of Snow Leopard onto the secondary hard drive, but the MBCD link is no longer working. I need the files that I have to copy from the boot cd: "!1 Install", "!2 Copy to Root", "!3 com.apple.boot.plist", etc that are listed in the first seven steps of the quote. I used another MBCD download to get my purchased Snow Leopard onto the hard drive and, naturally, it didn't contain the files mentioned above. I have no idea where to go from here. I am attempting to boot Win7 and Snow from separate drives on my HP DV7-3085dx. I would have gone the other route of booting from one drive, but I cannot risk partitioning my Windows drive due to the huge amount of time it would take to reload all of my apps should I fail.

I am stuck. I have achieved the install of Snow Leopard onto the secondary hard drive, but the MBCD link is no longer working. I need the files that I have to copy from the boot cd: "!1 Install", "!2 Copy to Root", "!3 com.apple.boot.plist", etc that are listed in the first seven steps of the quote. I used another MBCD download to get my purchased Snow Leopard onto the hard drive and, naturally, it didn't contain the files mentioned above. I have no idea where to go from here. I am attempting to boot Win7 and Snow from separate drives on my HP DV7-3085dx. I would have gone the other route of booting from one drive, but I cannot risk partitioning my Windows drive due to the huge amount of time it would take to reload all of my apps should I fail.

Hello,

First off let me start by saying, I would never Partition your drive to install OS X. There is WAY to big a risk of loosing data.

Second, I may have been a bit vague about the drivers.... They are NOT located on the MBCD but on a download that can be found here. Once there click on DV7 Fixes and Save the ZIP to a external drive.

Also if you are having trouble with the MBCD Try downloading [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Hope this helps!

Hello,

First off let me start by saying, I would never Partition your drive to install OS X. There is WAY to big a risk of loosing data.

Second, I may have been a bit vague about the drivers.... They are NOT located on the MBCD but on a download that can be found here. Once there click on DV7 Fixes and Save the ZIP to a external drive.

Also if you are having trouble with the MBCD Try downloading [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for returning to a thread that you previously said you no longer supported. You have made my day by clarifying the issue I was having with the post installation. The chameleon works fine to boot, but I was stuck at having to swap drives, load the MBCD, run OSX and then swap drives again to use Windows. I will attempt the rest of the post install after I wake up. Once again, thank you!

Thank you very much for returning to a thread that you previously said you no longer supported. You have made my day by clarifying the issue I was having with the post installation. The chameleon works fine to boot, but I was stuck at having to swap drives, load the MBCD, run OSX and then swap drives again to use Windows. I will attempt the rest of the post install after I wake up. Once again, thank you!

You are very welcome. Also Remember that the DV7-3*** has two HD Slots. The Fist is where OS X HD goes and Second is for Windows HD.

I am getting a kernel panic upon boot. I have the OSX harddrive in Slot1 and the Win7 hardrive in Slot2. Chameleon recognizes all drives and I can boot into Windows fine, but not into OSX. I started with a fresh install of Snowleopard from my OEM CD and completed everything except for the upgrade to the latest OS from Apple. For one reason or another it couldn't detect an internet signal through the ethernet connection so I skipped that part of the Post Install. I installed chameleon to the root of OSX, loaded all of the kexts and Quooptz and then rebooted. I am not sure where to go from there. I have tried -v, -x, busratios, cpus at loading to no avail. The OS is there though as I can watch it load everything in verbose mode until it gets to the end and panics. It gets to the DSDT loading and says no DSDT found and then a couple of other sentences that pass by too quickly for me to see. I have taken out one of my RAM sticks to drop it to 6GB in hopes of it working with Maxmem=6048. OSX runs on this machine as I have it running Virtually through Win7 with VMWarestation 7.

I am getting a kernel panic upon boot. I have the OSX harddrive in Slot1 and the Win7 hardrive in Slot2. Chameleon recognizes all drives and I can boot into Windows fine, but not into OSX. I started with a fresh install of Snowleopard from my OEM CD and completed everything except for the upgrade to the latest OS from Apple. For one reason or another it couldn't detect an internet signal through the ethernet connection so I skipped that part of the Post Install. I installed chameleon to the root of OSX, loaded all of the kexts and Quooptz and then rebooted. I am not sure where to go from there. I have tried -v, -x, busratios, cpus at loading to no avail. The OS is there though as I can watch it load everything in verbose mode until it gets to the end and panics. It gets to the DSDT loading and says no DSDT found and then a couple of other sentences that pass by too quickly for me to see. I have taken out one of my RAM sticks to drop it to 6GB in hopes of it working with Maxmem=6048. OSX runs on this machine as I have it running Virtually through Win7 with VMWarestation 7.

You problem is.... The new Qoopz Kernel that you installed ONLY works with 10.6.4. After you install the Qoopz Kernel you MUST install the 10.6.4 update or you will not be able to get back into the system.

The reason I have people install the kernel before the update is some times the update KP's at the end and it is best to have the kernel already there.

If you don't want to update to the latest version do the following (In addition to the rest of the guide, but don't install the Qoopz kernel from the install package):

1. Move the Mach_Kernel.Qoopz from the Boot CD to the root of your OS X hard drive.

2. Chang the string in the "Extra\com.apple.boot.plist" and "Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.boot.plist" from:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>Legacy_Kernel</sting>

and change them to:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>Mach_Kernel.qoopz</sting>

Make sure these are the LAST two step's you complete. (Get the rest of the guide done FRIST, where the guide says to install the Qoopz Kernel, stop, do what I have just told you, restart and you should be fine.)

If you have any more questions, please just let me know!

PS: You may want to boot with the flag "maxmem=4000" without the quotes. This might help.

Awesome. Will do. I will have to wait until next week to reinstall as my Snow Leopard CD has label peeling off of it at the very edge and it has made installation from it impossible. Maybe Best Buy will give me a replacement(I just purchased it a month ago) or I will just buy another CD. I am not near a store right now to get a new one. All I can use the disc for is repair/permissions/verifying/terminal stuff. Once I am back on land I will start from scratch. I will install without the update using the modified plists until I can figure out why the ethernet connection isn't working. Then I will proceed from there.

Awesome. Will do. I will have to wait until next week to reinstall as my Snow Leopard CD has label peeling off of it at the very edge and it has made installation from it impossible. Maybe Best Buy will give me a replacement(I just purchased it a month ago) or I will just buy another CD. I am not near a store right now to get a new one. All I can use the disc for is repair/permissions/verifying/terminal stuff. Once I am back on land I will start from scratch. I will install without the update using the modified plists until I can figure out why the ethernet connection isn't working. Then I will proceed from there.

Well I wish you the best of luck! Also, I see that you have an i7.... Follow the guide in my Signature to find your busratio as it differs from the one I provided in the guide... this my also help in booting... Have FUN!

EDIT: You do not need to follow the guide, I did it for your. Replace the "busratio=17" in the com.apple.boot.plist (both of them) with this: "busratio=12". Because 1600/133=12.03 (Clock speed, devided by 133 = busratio!)

Marry Christmas!

• 1 month later...
Well I wish you the best of luck! Also, I see that you have an i7.... Follow the guide in my Signature to find your busratio as it differs from the one I provided in the guide... this my also help in booting... Have FUN!

EDIT: You do not need to follow the guide, I did it for your. Replace the "busratio=17" in the com.apple.boot.plist (both of them) with this: "busratio=12". Because 1600/133=12.03 (Clock speed, devided by 133 = busratio!)

Marry Christmas!

Well, thanks to this thread I now have OSX and Win7 dual booting. I had to go the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] route because at the time I couldn't get it to work using the Combo Update/Qooptz.

Working:

OSX on the Primary drive, Win7 on the Secondary drive

Selective boot screen using Chameleon

Sound

Video

All USB ports

Keyboard

Trackpad(although it shows none listed)

DVD Drive

USB internet tethering via my iPhone

Not Working(Still getting to try these)

4 CPUs. I only have CPUS=1. This machine is super fast though.

Webcam

Microphone

Wifi(I don't think my card is supported. I am going to get a USB wifi dongle)

HP Remote Control

System sound from the upper task bar

System sound from the touch slider on the keyboard

Multicard reader(SD/MS/Pro/MMC/XD)

Battery Readings

Thank you very much for helping me think outside of the box. All other tutorials are about dual booting on one hard drive. This guide helped me do it from two individual drives.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same set up as you.I bought from Costco at Christmas. What did you do to get SL it installed? Have tried this guide and one other and still cant get it to work

Correct, this guide is for the DV7-3***... the best bet for you is to try the DV7 Guide by Mammoth.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653

I tried that site also.

Get ebios can't be found then goes it to loop

Oh yes sorry... I forgot.... use Mammoths guide, but instead of his Boot CD use either [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or the MBCD included with this guide.

Goes in to loop or will not boot on all of your ideas. What did you use to boot to get Snow leopard installed on your laptop that you have listed on your reply for this is the same machine that I have?

Ok, on my HP HP DV7-3183cl I used the method described in this guide. On my DV7-4083cl I used Mammoths Guide, but as a replacement for the boot disc that is provided by mammoth I used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD HERE or the MBCD HERE (Can't remember which one)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Zack,

Thanks for your wonderful guide. I followed it to install 10.6.4 on my dv7-3186cl and mostly succeeded (GeekBench = 4430). But I still have a few things not working:

- Sleep/Lid sleep

- no scrolling on the touchpad

- No audio over HDMI

- no brightness control

Has anyone solved any of these problems?

Thanks in advance

You keep reffering to an E-Sata cable for the 2nd HardDrive... but its not an esata cable its a sata cable... esata is the port to the right side of the computer that shares a USB port. The internal port is sata. It just made things confusing.

Great Guide though... Was wondering if you have a wifi compatibility list you can post.

Hi, Zack,

Thanks for your wonderful guide. I followed it to install 10.6.4 on my dv7-3186cl and mostly succeeded (GeekBench = 4430). But I still have a few things not working:

- Sleep/Lid sleep

- no scrolling on the touchpad

- No audio over HDMI

- no brightness control

Has anyone solved any of these problems?

Thanks in advance

Awesome. I have same computer... question is did you need to change the wifi card or did the stock card work?

Awesome. I have same computer... question is did you need to change the wifi card or did the stock card work?

Unfortunately my built-in WiFi is not working (no working kext for the BCM card) and I have settled on an EdiMax 11n dongle which works very well. Also, after installing the SleepEnabler kext for 10.6.4., the sleep is partially working now - I am use the power button (from the control manual) to put the laptop into sleep, and use the power button to wake it up. With VooDooHDA 2.6.2, the audio also works after wake up.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope someone can help me - I have a HP DV7-3110EA laptop and am trying to get Mac OS X working correctly on it.

I have followed a variety of tutorials, most recently using the one in this thread. I can successfully install Mac OS 10.6 using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or MBCD and a retail Snow Leopard DVD. I've found [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] is slightly better for my laptop because it allows me to use my laptop's trackpad during installation - if I use MBCD I need to use a USB mouse to install. With either boot disk I've found I need to use the '-x -v CPUS=1' command to install, simply using 'CPUS=1' does not work.

The bit I'm stuck at is post-installation. I'm having trouble installing drivers/kexts to get anything to work that doesn't already work out of the box. I also seem to be unable to fix my bootloader to load from HD (a boot disk and '-x -v CPUS=1' is required every time). I have followed the post-installation section of this tutorial to the letter, but after updating to 10.6.4 and restarting, Mac OS X will not boot from hard drive and still requires the boot disk and safe mode. I've tried various versions of Chameleon and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with both 10.6.4 and 10.6.6 (following various tutorials for DV7s) with no luck. Any suggestions?

• 7 months later...

You keep reffering to an E-Sata cable for the 2nd HardDrive... but its not an esata cable its a sata cable... esata is the port to the right side of the computer that shares a USB port. The internal port is sata. It just made things confusing.

Hahaha, Yes you are right! I am so sorry. Yes eSATA stands for External Serial Advanced Technology Attachment. ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

im trying to install Snow Leopard (kext & DSDT's) but is the WiFi-card driver available yet? I can't find it anywhere, and the last message here is from; November 2011.

i could also use some help to update from 10.6.3 to Maverick/Mountain Lion?

All help is welcome!
Steve.

I have a HP Pavilion DV7 3080ed Specs; www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7-3080ed/4507-3121_7-35277205.html