[GUIDE] HP DV7, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Mac OS X (75 member(s) have cast votes)

If Apple Would Release an OS X For PC would you buy it?

1. Only if it worked with my hardware. (26 votes [34.67%])

Percentage of vote: 34.67%

2. Yes! (43 votes [57.33%])

Percentage of vote: 57.33%

3. I do not like OS X, i am a windows person. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I like OS X but not enough to buy it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I prefer hacking OS X to get it to work. (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

6. I love the InsanelyMac Community and Mac for PC would take away my joy (5 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Has this guide helped you install OS X?

1. YES! (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No. (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

prg321

prg321

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi, Zack,

Thanks for your wonderful guide. I followed it to install 10.6.4 on my dv7-3186cl and mostly succeeded (GeekBench = 4430). But I still have a few things not working:
- Sleep/Lid sleep
- no scrolling on the touchpad
- No audio over HDMI
- no brightness control

Has anyone solved any of these problems?

Thanks in advance

Jack87

Jack87

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
You keep reffering to an E-Sata cable for the 2nd HardDrive... but its not an esata cable its a sata cable... esata is the port to the right side of the computer that shares a USB port. The internal port is sata. It just made things confusing.

Great Guide though... Was wondering if you have a wifi compatibility list you can post.

Hi, Zack,

Thanks for your wonderful guide. I followed it to install 10.6.4 on my dv7-3186cl and mostly succeeded (GeekBench = 4430). But I still have a few things not working:
- Sleep/Lid sleep
- no scrolling on the touchpad
- No audio over HDMI
- no brightness control

Has anyone solved any of these problems?

Thanks in advance

Awesome. I have same computer... question is did you need to change the wifi card or did the stock card work?

prg321

prg321

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Awesome. I have same computer... question is did you need to change the wifi card or did the stock card work?
[/quote]

Unfortunately my built-in WiFi is not working (no working kext for the BCM card) and I have settled on an EdiMax 11n dongle which works very well. Also, after installing the SleepEnabler kext for 10.6.4., the sleep is partially working now - I am use the power button (from the control manual) to put the laptop into sleep, and use the power button to wake it up. With VooDooHDA 2.6.2, the audio also works after wake up.

reddragon105

reddragon105

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I hope someone can help me - I have a HP DV7-3110EA laptop and am trying to get Mac OS X working correctly on it.

I have followed a variety of tutorials, most recently using the one in this thread. I can successfully install Mac OS 10.6 using ##### or MBCD and a retail Snow Leopard DVD. I've found ##### is slightly better for my laptop because it allows me to use my laptop's trackpad during installation - if I use MBCD I need to use a USB mouse to install. With either boot disk I've found I need to use the '-x -v CPUS=1' command to install, simply using 'CPUS=1' does not work.

The bit I'm stuck at is post-installation. I'm having trouble installing drivers/kexts to get anything to work that doesn't already work out of the box. I also seem to be unable to fix my bootloader to load from HD (a boot disk and '-x -v CPUS=1' is required every time). I have followed the post-installation section of this tutorial to the letter, but after updating to 10.6.4 and restarting, Mac OS X will not boot from hard drive and still requires the boot disk and safe mode. I've tried various versions of Chameleon and ##### with both 10.6.4 and 10.6.6 (following various tutorials for DV7s) with no luck. Any suggestions?

Zman21295

Zman21295

MY NAME IS ZACK!!! HEHE

• Donators
  • 143 posts

You keep reffering to an E-Sata cable for the 2nd HardDrive... but its not an esata cable its a sata cable... esata is the port to the right side of the computer that shares a USB port. The internal port is sata. It just made things confusing.

Hahaha, Yes you are right! I am so sorry. Yes eSATA stands for External Serial Advanced Technology Attachment. ;)

steveh

steveh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there,

im trying to install Snow Leopard (kext & DSDT's) but is the WiFi-card driver available yet? I can't find it anywhere, and the last message here is from; November 2011.

i could also use some help to update from 10.6.3 to Maverick/Mountain Lion?

All help is welcome!
Steve.

I have a HP Pavilion DV7 3080ed Specs; www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7-3080ed/4507-3121_7-35277205.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy