rme hammerfall and xp on macbookpro + logic +live

2 posts in this topic

hi. i use xp and rme hammerfall dsp pcmcia multiface. i use logic, i use live. i use audiomulch.

i have logic6, i could upgrade to logic7.2 or something.

what i was hoping, honestly, was this:

i get a 17" macbook pro. i install XP into it. i dont know, bootcamp, x86 tiger, i dont know any of the words. something that makes me run XP. that XP, will, run exactly like my xp on pc laptop. i.e. i will be able to get sound out with the rme, it will have asio, i can run software that doesnt exist as universal-binary on the mac, yet, until it exists.

what im basically asking is this:

should i do this? should i ditch my pc laptop, dump wholesale into a macbook pro, get the 2gb memory and all that, and SHOULD I GO IN HOPING that i will be able to run, on the MBP/XP = logic5.5.1, audiomulch.. and on the MBP, live5.2 and eventually logic and other software, using my soundcards? (rme hammerfall dsp pcmcia, and echo indigo pcmcia). should i go here, because i do not know, some people tell me "theres no asio on the bootcamp", other people say "yes there is", i dont know anything, i cant do any research, i cant understand anything, i today found that i could get a MBP, and

i was strictly speaking hoping that i could throw this piece of {censored} p4/2ghz laptop out the fkn window, and USE, and COMPOSE, on a ultrasilent mac-book-pro, WITHOUT trouble, without any hassle, and eventually when theres more UB/MBP programs could get into using them. the xp part of it would be to access VST..

should i just stop all this computer mess and start a career in carving out my brain with a knife or WOT

_please help_

:blink:

hi. i use xp and rme hammerfall dsp pcmcia multiface. i use logic, i use live. i use audiomulch.

i have logic6, i could upgrade to logic7.2 or something.

what i was hoping, honestly, was this:

i get a 17" macbook pro. i install XP into it. i dont know, bootcamp, x86 tiger, i dont know any of the words. something that makes me run XP. that XP, will, run exactly like my xp on pc laptop. i.e. i will be able to get sound out with the rme, it will have asio, i can run software that doesnt exist as universal-binary on the mac, yet, until it exists.

what im basically asking is this:

should i do this? should i ditch my pc laptop, dump wholesale into a macbook pro, get the 2gb memory and all that, and SHOULD I GO IN HOPING that i will be able to run, on the MBP/XP = logic5.5.1, audiomulch.. and on the MBP, live5.2 and eventually logic and other software, using my soundcards? (rme hammerfall dsp pcmcia, and echo indigo pcmcia). should i go here, because i do not know, some people tell me "theres no asio on the bootcamp", other people say "yes there is", i dont know anything, i cant do any research, i cant understand anything, i today found that i could get a MBP, and

i was strictly speaking hoping that i could throw this piece of {censored} p4/2ghz laptop out the fkn window, and USE, and COMPOSE, on a ultrasilent mac-book-pro, WITHOUT trouble, without any hassle, and eventually when theres more UB/MBP programs could get into using them. the xp part of it would be to access VST..

should i just stop all this computer mess and start a career in carving out my brain with a knife or WOT

_please help_

:blink:

I don't know about whether ASIO works or not, but I'd say the biggest problem with your proposed setup is the lack of PCMCIA slots on the macbook pro. I would suggest to you to just stick with what you have for now. Save your pennies and get a macbook (not pro) when Logic 8 and leopard are released.

The money you'd save by not going MBP, you can spend on an audio interface or some smokin converters. If you use the built in digital SPDIF optical on the macbook, all you would need is a two channel AD/DA converter straight in and you'd have the lowest recording latency without getting into DSP cards AND awesome converters to boot. Think of an Apogee Mini-Me going into your laptop direct. No CPU overhead from firewire/usb/PCMCIA device drivers. Now OTOH, if you ned to record more than two channels at once, then look at a fireface 800 and be done with it.

There has been extensive discussion about using a mac's built in SPDIF at gearslutz.com on this thread:

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=61431