[Guide] Sony VAIO VPCF115FM 10.6.3 installation, Chameleon on own partition, dual boot.

65 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
* UPDATE JUNE 3, 2010 *

Part IV of the Installation Guide has FINALLY been posted!

This is the guide that shows you how to get Windows 7 installed, and not just how to install Windows 7, most of us know how to do that, but how to take the factory image of Windows 7 from Sony and install THAT so you don't have to waste HOURS and days trying to get a fully working version of Windows 7 on a LAPTOP.

We'll also setup our Repair installation of OS X, and I finally show you how to get networking using a firewire cable connected to another Mac / Hack system, so you can transfer files and get on the Internet from your VAIO PLUS be able to get updates from Apple.

This is the biggest guide, packed with the most information and tips, so get it now from the FILES section of the first post.

PLEASE post your comments at some point.

Thanks,

Mammoth

Hi Mammoth;

i intalled yesterday SL 10.63 on my Vaio F113F/D that has:

intel i7 cpu

nvidia 310M video card (after installation i got 1600x900 only)

6GB memory

and the other vaio F11s have.

i copied recovery partition into an external HD before wipe out the hard drive.

After i installed using Mammoth cd boot then inserted SL 10.63 dvd and push F5, the installation was successful from the first try, then i reboot and used Mammoth boot cd to bootup the system and it did bootup! this is great Mammoth (exactlly as you said in your guide). But i still use the boot cd to Boot.

Then i installed windows7 in windows partition as mentioned in the guide, the installation was smooth and as it use to, when 10.63 started i realized that when i click on about this mac the system refresh ans goes back as after the first boot and getting backup option. Is this normal? i can't run About this Mac at all! i run system profile, i noticed that the memory showed is only 2GB on it ( i have 6 GB) and profile for macpro 6.1, i have no internet connection as you mentioned in your guide and have no sound and icons for other partitions or OSX partition icon on the desktop.

How to install Chameleon in the Cham partition? ( still have Cham empty partition) and of i install Chameleon does it affect the windows boot system ? and the boot cd has not the folder you mentioned in your guide except the one in the root ( and it is not the one that is required) how i can get that folder?

if there is a fix for wireless lan and sound please let me know

Your Guide is great and is the first easy to follow, Please Keep it up

Thank you Mammoth for this best guide

maly70

Hi Mammoth;

i intalled yesterday SL 10.63 on my Vaio F113F/D that has:

intel i7 cpu

nvidia 310M video card (after installation i got 1600x900 only)

6GB memory

and the other vaio F11s have.

i copied recovery partition into an external HD before wipe out the hard drive.

After i installed using Mammoth cd boot then inserted SL 10.63 dvd and push F5, the installation was successful from the first try, then i reboot and used Mammoth boot cd to bootup the system and it did bootup! this is great Mammoth (exactlly as you said in your guide). But i still use the boot cd to Boot.

Then i installed windows7 in windows partition as mentioned in the guide, the installation was smooth and as it use to, when 10.63 started i realized that when i click on about this mac the system refresh ans goes back as after the first boot and getting backup option. Is this normal? i can't run About this Mac at all! i run system profile, i noticed that the memory showed is only 2GB on it ( i have 6 GB) and profile for macpro 6.1, i have no internet connection as you mentioned in your guide and have no sound and icons for other partitions or OSX partition icon on the desktop.

How to install Chameleon in the Cham partition? ( still have Cham empty partition) and of i install Chameleon does it affect the windows boot system ? and the boot cd has not the folder you mentioned in your guide except the one in the root ( and it is not the one that is required) how i can get that folder?

if there is a fix for wireless lan and sound please let me know

Your Guide is great and is the first easy to follow, Please Keep it up

Thank you Mammoth for this best guide

maly70

Hello Maly70!

Glad the guide has worked so well for you! I put a lot of effort into it so it would be just that easy and work. :P

On the "About This Mac", that is a problem all of these VAIO machines are doing under OS X. I don't know why or how to correct that. You have discovered you can launch System Profiler though, so that's what I was doing.

The memory, bus, CPU, and other stats are controlled by SMBIOS.plist. Those are mostly cosmetic.

On installing Chameleon, did you download all 4 guides? The part for installing Chameleon is in Part III. Do you have v1.20 of the boot CD? Many people have downloaded the guides and boot CD and not had this problem. Perhaps something in the burn process is failing? Get the free program "SimplyBurns" (which is OS X not Windows), and use that to burn the CD and let me know how that works.

To get sound working, you could try VoodooHDA, and for wireless, if you can buy an actual Apple WiFi card (that will fit in the machine) and swap out the existing card, that MAY work. If you could borrow one from someone to test, that would be best.

I'm very happy you have enjoyed the guides, that they have been so useful to you, AND that you took the time to reply. Thank YOU! :D

Note that I no longer have my VAIO, I sold it on eBay and replaced it with an HP DV8t. Following is my new thread for that machine:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653

Mammoth

Hi again;

i reinstalled 10.63 again yesterday with the latest boot cd you mentioned yesterday, the first defference is that the display was better and briter then before but still have the same issues that i told you about.

i tried to installed or transfer chameleon to Cham partition but for some how it did not (duno why)

i just dragged extra folder as you mentioned and then ...404 file and then typed the commands you said and no chance to get the booting from cham partition!

i still using the boot CD til i figure out how to install chameleon part from boot cd.

Can i install chameleon directly from osx 10.63 to cham partition?

Will this harm windows boot partition and/or osx partition?

Thank you for this new boot cd, i realy now comfirm that the latest boot cd is better and more stable then the first one. ( after booting with boot cd v.1.20) under verboose mode the system sees more devices than before.

VoodooHDA is not compatible at all (i got kernel panic after i install it )

i installed i7 fix for Atheros but still did not work, the sound in system profiler has more details than before.

That's all i have now Mammoth and good luck

maly70

Hi again;

i reinstalled 10.63 again yesterday with the latest boot cd you mentioned yesterday, the first defference is that the display was better and briter then before but still have the same issues that i told you about.

i tried to installed or transfer chameleon to Cham partition but for some how it did not (duno why)

i just dragged extra folder as you mentioned and then ...404 file and then typed the commands you said and no chance to get the booting from cham partition!

i still using the boot CD til i figure out how to install chameleon part from boot cd.

Can i install chameleon directly from osx 10.63 to cham partition?

Will this harm windows boot partition and/or osx partition?

Thank you for this new boot cd, i realy now comfirm that the latest boot cd is better and more stable then the first one. ( after booting with boot cd v.1.20) under verboose mode the system sees more devices than before.

VoodooHDA is not compatible at all (i got kernel panic after i install it )

i installed i7 fix for Atheros but still did not work, the sound in system profiler has more details than before.

That's all i have now Mammoth and good luck

maly70

Hi again Maly70,

Is your machine a "VPCF115FM/B" or maybe it's slightly differenct? Maybe that could be the case. There could be something strange/wrong with your hard drive, but I doubt it. If you have the exact same machine and parts in it and I had to place money on a bet as to what the problem is, I would say there is something you are missing, or interpreting incorrectly with the instructions. I say that only because so many people have setup their machines with this method and either not had the issue or not reported it. If anyone else could post about this, that would be great.

Chameleon (Cham) is not part of OS X or its 10.6.3 DVD. So no to that question.

My other suggestion would be to look at this part of the procedure on the newer guides I have created on my DV8t thread. They are tailored for the DV8t, so hopefully that won't be more confusing, but I have worded things differently and steamlined the process. Check it out here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653

Also, for those who still have this machine and could help out Maly70, that would be great.

Mammoth

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Could you please tell me what was the problem(s) when you try to make a hackintosh with your sony vaio i7 ??? I hope you can guide me on your experience

Thanks a lot !!

skydivemail@yahoo.com

Absolutely NOT! I am selling my VAIO and getting the HP DV8T to become my Windows 7 & OS X HacBook Pro.

Does anyone know about Snow leopard in a SONY VAIO i7 ( VPCF13PFX )

I'm pretending to use it for Final Cut Pro (so audio & video must work)

Hardware content:

Processor: i7-740QM 1.73 GHz

VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 310M / GT 425M

AUDIO: Realtek® Audio HD PCEE

ETHERNET: Marvell® Yukon® 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

WIRELESS: Marvell® Atheros® AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter

MOTHERBOARD: Intel® 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI

Please anything you know will be really helpfull

Thanks

skydivemail@yahoo.com

• 3 months later...
Hi.

When i put Snow Leopard DVD and hit ENTER my sony VPCF115FM restarts.

I used MAMOOTH BOOT CD and SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3 Retail.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Goodbye.

Eduardo.

to boot to the disc you have to use the boot arguments "busratio=12 cpus=8" to get it to boot. Busratio sets the bus speed or id im assuming, and cpus=8 sets the max cpu threads to be 8 (which is what the i7 wants from every OS).

I used the hazard snow leopard 10.6.6intel install to get it to work (dont select any graphics or audio packages otherwise it wont boot because of kernel panics).

I did not need to put "busratio=12 cpus=8" to boot mac after it installed though, but if it doesnt boot (restarts right away) then try that.

Also use EasyBCD to add an entry to windows boot loader to another partition for mac. This will save countless hours of having to swap disc. After the first time of installing macosx86 i had to use startup repair from my win7 disc to set my windows partition as active. It does it automatically and changes a few partition numbers, but after that i could install and reinstall without using my windows disc.

Make sure to select chamelion rc5 in the hazard customizations selection (and no kernel as i7 works on vanilla kernel) to get it installed right.

Hardware content:

Thanks

skydivemail@yahoo.com

I have a sony vaio VPCF13YFX if thats what you meant. mine has same specs as you mentioned, except it says i have an "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN" wireless card.

I also have geforce 425m and a blue ray drive.

My mobo seems to match yours as being Intel5 series. (so it wasnt affected by i7 sandy bridge recall as series 6 was).

BTW i got ALC275 working from a kext i found online, they must have known what vender id and model id's to change in some kext. It does use VoodooHDA kext as a base tho, but hey it works (but still unsure if it is stereo, and surround sound)

Hardware content:

Thanks

skydivemail@yahoo.com

I have a Sony Vaio VPCF13YFX, i think you meant a Y instead of a P. My computer has all the same specs (i7 740QM processor) but has an nvidia geforce 425GM and a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN wifi card.

ALC275 audio

I have gotten my audio to work, but ethernet and wifi and graphics card are unrceognized.

It also only sees 2gb (so only first stick in slots available?) and also my USB ports do not work, yet my keyboard and trackpad work fine. My "About this mac" screen causes the GUI to crash but it just reloads right away. And when my computer is on the fans go to full speed and the CPU runs hot like it is doing a lot of processes even if i am idling at the desktop. Powermanagement problem kext? i have no idea.

I used hazard 10.6.6 intel distro and installed it using no audio/graphics options.

I also have mac on a seperate partition dual booting win7x64 using windows bootloader and chamelion on the mac partition. I used EasyBCD for windows to add the entry to the windows boot loader.

To boot Hazard distro i had to press f8 at main screen and enter "busratio=12 cpus=8" to boot it, otherwise it restarts quickly.

i also have a problem with my audio even thought it works. Every time i boot up mac i hear a low faint hiss coming from my speakers, like its playing a small noise. Everytime it turns off i get a small pop sound. I think it is applying a voltage or reading the baseline level as being higher so it plays a low sound. how can i check/change this? Anybody else encounter this with ALC275 enabled with a VoodooHDA kext? (I found it online and i think they just edited the vender/model id's)

• 2 months later...
2) Clicking on "About this Mac" causes the GUI to crash.

Workaround: none yet.

(The GUI comes right back after displaying a black screen, so just use System Profiler to get the info you need).

Hi,

I don't have a Vaio, but a friend who has one told me that this crash is fixed by this kext

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1616746

Looks like it's something about the "board-id" property, Chameleon isn't able to inject it on Vaios.

I modified the kext to my friend's desired SMBIOS values (they are hardcoded)

http://www.mediafire.com/?o0mpbdam7c3mba3

Hi,

I don't have a Vaio, but a friend who has one told me that this crash is fixed by this kext

Looks like it's something about the "board-id" property, Chameleon isn't able to inject it on Vaios.

Thanks a bunch. Hmm what other hardware id's need to be modified or manually injected to restore functionality like sleep, graphics and etc? I tried a graphgics efi string but it says i have the card i specified but i still dont see full hardware accelleration.

What about other devices like networking and wireless? (aassuming the current drivers i can obtain can support the hardware)

Im just curious what properties and kexts have to be modified to get mac to fully recofnize my motherboard, chipset, graphics and other lower level devices.

Hi,

How would i also use the current smbios.plist and combine that EFI string with my grpahics and sound efi string?

Hi, All.

I have Sony Vaio VPCF115FM and I'm totally confused!!!!

There are two different threads for this model; This one and the following:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218556

I can get SL installed and booted successfully. But I don't know which is the best way to get SL working on this model! What are the best dsdt.aml, smbios.plist? What shoud be in my Extra" Folder? And what are the latest working kexts for Video, Audio and Networking!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GUIDE ME THRU? I'm desperate.

Thanx in advance

Hi,

Thanks Buddy but still its the same problem of GUI crash

• Like 1

• 9 months later...