Sony Vaio VPCF115FM Discussion: DSDT Injection

kizwan

787 posts in this topic

PS/2

As many have noted, passwd root does not work and, consequently, the first launch of the PS/2 pass fail

cd / System / Library / CoreServices / Setup \ Assistant.app / Contents /

sudo nano Info.plist

At the end of the file comes with an array of key pages of the installer when you first start.

Delete:

<string> DeviceSection </ string>

<string> KeyboardTypeSection </ string>

Save the file (Ctrl + O), reboot and the installer will no longer look for USB / Bluetooth keyboard - you can safely pass the installation

kernel output says: EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

try to study this

i havent got the file in my install image:

/ System / Library / CoreServices / Setup \ Assistant.app / Contents /

i think it will be there when lion is installed.

but right now i'm booting the install image from usb.

VoodooPS2 also makes no difference.

To the USB issue: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] isnt capable of injecting a dsdt so i will fix this later.

so right now i'm unable to give the installation process any input

i havent got the file in my install image:

/ System / Library / CoreServices / Setup \ Assistant.app / Contents /

i think it will be there when lion is installed.

but right now i'm booting the install image from usb.

VoodooPS2 also makes no difference.

To the USB issue: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] isnt capable of injecting a dsdt so i will fix this later.

so right now i'm unable to give the installation process any input

as I remember best way is not to install Lion from image, but you should open image before, so there, I think, you can find nessery files (can't remember exact sequence, so try to check, for example, netkas.org, or applelife.ru (it's on Russian, but Google translate should help :( )

try XPC bootloader instead [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] - it can pick up customized DSDT

people, i think i got the real reason behind our not working internal LCD :gun:

read that and say what u think:

In my humble opinion, the real problem is the Hardware ID of our lcd and how the nvidia driver manage it. I looked for other display hardware ID and ALL of them is by the UUUYYYY standard (the EISA-type ID standard), where U is a upper-case letter and Y an hex number. I used in my vaio 2 external lcd, with id: ACR0009 and SHP07EE, both of them working. The internal LCD have hardware id MS_0025 and, because of the "_" character, is a non-standard hardware id. This because DSDT uses the EISAID istruction to tell the hardware id of the display, and if you try to edit your dsdt to force MS_0025 as id you can't compile for this error.

So, i looked for other hardware id: the user ijvaio (he posted a lot in this very thread) have display hardware id MS_0026, it's a coincidence? :P

All the Vaio E, F and Z series have MS_0025 as hardware id for display, but not the VPCFZ21 (it has NVD0300). The SZ series has MS_0040 and i'm sure if we investigate on that we'll find that MS_ in all non-working display.

So, i THINK the nvidia driver looks for a standard hardware ID before make the connection, and he found that MS_ that is Not a standard value, or maybe he can't get the HID at all. Maybe ATI user doesn't have that problem because it's a nvidia driver method for find displays (always due my non confirmed theory).

About windows: when you install driver it automatically write in your registry the MS_0025 value (in my case) so the os-displaydriver combination manage to find the display. Maybe in linux it works in a different way, i'm not that good to theorize that.

If THIS is the problem, do you have an idea to how solve it? Hardware id is unique and you can not change it in the hardware so we need a way to "virtually replace" it. I'm really not good in this so i need your help :D

Thank you!

Hi AlexanderPD,

I dont have a sony vaio laptop but an asus laptop having the same issue with unknown internal display. My Display Model name is NVD0800. As I understood the quote above you mean that NVD0xxx should work ?

My is not working. I hope that we can some day fix this, I really would love to have osx on my laptop. I already tried a lot of things that came to my mind to solve this but everything failed.

What is your progress so far what are you thinking just keep us up to date so we can think together.

Maybe we should just made one thread about "internal displays not recognized" not only for sony vaios but also from other notebooks.

In that thread we should make a list with non working displays (Im speaking about displays that are not recognized at all, not for those which can be fixed by adding EDID,... .)

Hi AlexanderPD,

I dont have a sony vaio laptop but an asus laptop having the same issue with unknown internal display. My Display Model name is NVD0800. As I understood the quote above you mean that NVD0xxx should work ?

My is not working. I hope that we can some day fix this, I really would love to have osx on my laptop. I already tried a lot of things that came to my mind to solve this but everything failed.

What is your progress so far what are you thinking just keep us up to date so we can think together.

Maybe we should just made one thread about "internal displays not recognized" not only for sony vaios but also from other notebooks.

In that thread we should make a list with non working displays (Im speaking about displays that are not recognized at all, not for those which can be fixed by adding EDID,... .)

sorry i already verified that my theory is only {censored} :gun: actually i have no clue oh the real reason behind this error, the only thing "almost sure" is that the problem is in nvidia driver. Why? dunno.

i need to edit that old post

sorry i already verified that my theory is only {censored} :) actually i have no clue oh the real reason behind this error, the only thing "almost sure" is that the problem is in nvidia driver. Why? dunno.

i need to edit that old post

It must to do with the "NVDAResman.kext" as when you delete this and reboot the system the internal display works.

but I´m not for sure if this is really NVDAResman problem... .

One thing i want to add. I remember i found on this forum someone who had a asus notebook, too that was very similar to my and for him everything worked fine. I tried to use his dsdt and I had the same issue (it was lucky that his dsdt worked with my notebook).

Strange is that my Display Model is indeed a "NVIDIA DEFAULT DISPLAY". nvidia display that dont work with nvidia drivers is really heavy duty. Nevermind we should keep going to solve this. I see it as a challenge but my ideas are all gone now as non of my ideas worked(maybe because I was also focused like you that it is a DSDT Problem).

with best wishes,

hectory

{censored}! I meant to post this as a reply on this thread, but I screwed up. I was going through my DSDT and found some odd entries 5 different EDID values linked up to the LCD. I'm not sure if I'm on to something or not, kinda need someone better with EDID, but my new topic post is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1667869

Kinda strange, I'm not sure why it would have 5 EDID values, 6 if you count the mysterious empty version.

I have no EDID information in my dsdt, so i cant tell you but i remember reading this somewhere I think from Alexander that he also found this like you but didn´t help either. he deleted all and leaved only one edid information but no result

as I remember best way is not to install Lion from image, but you should open image before, so there, I think, you can find nessery files (can't remember exact sequence, so try to check, for example, netkas.org, or applelife.ru (it's on Russian, but Google translate should help :o )

try XPC bootloader instead [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] - it can pick up customized DSDT

thanks.

but neither xpc nor the newest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] did work with dsdt

the newest xpc didn't come up at all while an older version (think 0.70) boot but hang on dsdt inject

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 1.5a did hang on volume select

i will cancel my testings now due to school and try again later when things are working more stable

maybe taranfx who created the guide can help, in the video he shows an working vaio cw

boot think supports DSDTs but it doesn't do the same kinda graphics mode system chameleon does.

http://www.presence-pc.com/actualite/sony-...35991/#comments

???????????????????????????????????????????

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl...amp;news_id=349

<h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27</h1>

Here is a manual to successfully compile IOGraphicsFamily:

manual post

AlexanderPD: Ok, I compiled a IOGraphicsFamily for 10.6.6, but exactly as your problem, the version produces lots of dependency errors while booting. Any idea how we can fix this? Maybe we could open a new thread in the projectosx forum, I believe these people there are more experienced...

In case video output lags while moving windows around or the window under mouse pointer lags on your external accelerated display, put this script-app into your users autostart. It requires Quartz Debug installed and will disable beam sync.

There is also the script inside that you can edit with Apple Script Editor. There are 3 lines you can uncomment if you also want to permanently enable QuartzGL.

quartzdis.zip

In case video output lags while moving windows around or the window under mouse pointer lags on your external accelerated display, put this script-app into your users autostart. It requires Quartz Debug installed and will disable beam sync.

There is also the script inside that you can edit with Apple Script Editor. There are 3 lines you can uncomment if you also want to permanently enable QuartzGL.

quartzdis.zip

does all this have anything to do about sony vaio laptops ( power by nvidia gpu ) and internal lcd fix ?

does all this have anything to do about sony vaio laptops ( power by nvidia gpu ) and internal lcd fix ?

Nothing. Speeds up your external display on Vaio.

Here is a good smbios.plist for Chameleon/Anval Bootloader.

It activates a proper gfx power management profile in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, so the nvidia display do not stutter or mouse jumps/lags.

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP51.88Z.5671.B99.0867221733</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1066</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>1</string>

You may add SMSerial and SMUUID (google for it).

Hey guys, been following this thread since the beginning and it's great to see the amount of progress that has been made so far. I look forward to the day that one of us figures out how to make our graphics play nicely with the internal display. Until then I have a possible alternative that may interest some people.

If anyone here is like me, the main purpose for installing OSX has been for iOS development. The two main issues I have had with using the current solution for this purpose are the inability to display at the screen's native resolution (QE/CI would also be great but I could make do without), and the lack of wifi support.

Over the easter weekend I had an idea. Since all our hardware works under windows, we SHOULD be able to get access to it using with working drivers from an OSX virtual machine running on windows. Maybe some of you have considered or even tried this before. I set up Snow Leopard in VMware a while back and although I got it to boot, it still wasnt fully functional and ran quite slow, so I didn't consider it a viable option.

I decided to look back into virtualising OSX to see if any major advances had been made and was pleasantly surprised. I came across this tutorial here by Mac Son of Knife, which explains how to install Snow Leopard under VMware (I found the tutorial a little confusing at first, if anyone wants to try this and is having trouble I'd be happy to write a quick tutorial for setting it up on our vaios). It seems that official support for a Mac OS guest can now be enabled under a windows host, and VMware tools can be installed, meaning performance is much better than before. The installation is fairly simple, quite a bit easier than doing a native installation.

I now have a near fully functional OS X 10.6.7 VM set up which can run at my native resolution of 1920x1080, does not require a custom bootloader, with working audio and wifi and even partial hardware graphics acceleration. Admittedly, I am yet to try installing any software other than xcode but performance so far seems quite good. For my needs, I believe this is a superior alternative to the native installation at this point in time. I hope that others may also find this a useful intermediate step until problems with native installations have been solved.

I also had a crack at installing under virtualbox but performance seemed a little poor and I was unable to get native resolution support. I also didn't have any luck in making it work without chameleon, so the installation procedure is a bit more complex. For these reasons I would suggest pursuing the VMware option if possible.

Over the easter weekend I had an idea. Since all our hardware works under windows, we SHOULD be able to get access to it using with working drivers from an OSX virtual machine running on windows. Maybe some of you have considered or even tried this before. I set up Snow Leopard in VMware a while back and although I got it to boot, it still wasnt fully functional and ran quite slow, so I didn't consider it a viable option.

Sorry, this is impossible :wacko:

A native osX installation uses driver for real hardware (example: geforce nvidia 330m), a osX in Vmware uses driver for virtual hardware (example: vmware video adapter), they are totally different and you can't use it ;)

Maybe your only goal is to have 1920x1080 resolution, maybe switchResX can help (i never tried it), but if you want to do it without any software the only way is using a working driver. Actually in vmware osX uses a "standard video driver" without any QI/QE and you can se 1920x1080 because the virtual monitor support this resolution. In our vaios osX can't read the lcd's edid so it don't know what resolutions are supported.. this means only VESA standard resolution, you can change it from chameleon (i use 1280x800.. better than the default 800x600).

Sorry, this is impossible :(

A native osX installation uses driver for real hardware (example: geforce nvidia 330m), a osX in Vmware uses driver for virtual hardware (example: vmware video adapter), they are totally different and you can't use it :(

Maybe you have not quite understood the point I was making. The fact that VMware presents virtual hardware to the OS is exactly what made me think of using a VM. Instead of OS X seeing our unsupported hardware it sees virtual hardware for which it has working drivers. The virtual hardware still has to talk to our real hardware otherwise what would be the point? The OS X VM may think it is outputting to some generic display adapter, but it must communicate with the windows driver (via VMware) for our nvidia card to actually display an image. While I understand this will not yield the same level of performance as in a native installtion, the point is that OS X is able to indirectly control the display adapter using a driver that functions correctly.

Maybe your only goal is to have 1920x1080 resolution, maybe switchResX can help (i never tried it), but if you want to do it without any software the only way is using a working driver. Actually in vmware osX uses a "standard video driver" without any QI/QE and you can se 1920x1080 because the virtual monitor support this resolution. In our vaios osX can't read the lcd's edid so it don't know what resolutions are supported.. this means only VESA standard resolution, you can change it from chameleon (i use 1280x800.. better than the default 800x600).

I don't think anybody has managed 1920x1080 using any method for a native install. I'm also using 1280x800, and although much better than the default 800x600 it still falls far short of the display quality when running at the native resolution. Using a VM is the only way I am aware of (short of connecting to an external display) for getting native resolution so far.

If you take a look over at the tutorial I linked, there are a couple of drivers written by Zenith432 used which implement some openGL features for improved graphics performance. While they are by no means complete and do not offer full QE/CI support they are much better than just using the standard VMware video driver

just tried and posted result on projextosx.. still same s**t as before :rolleyes:

Hm, why slice writes about repair permissions - I believe that's odd...

EDIT:

One silly idea to fix the display prob:

If you installed devtools, cd to extensions and enter:

otool -arch i386 -vt NVDAResman.kext/Contents/MacOS/NVDAResman | c++filt | grep PowerOff

You'll get two functions:

_osLegacyFlatPanelPowerOff:

_dacPowerOffAllMobilePanels

If we could disable these functions by binpatch the NVDAResman, maybe the display would stay online, no matter what happens? I got this info about usage of otool from here.

EDIT:

otool -arch i386 -vt NVDAResman.kext/Contents/MacOS/NVDAResman | c++filt | grep Panel

_osLegacyFlatPanelPowerOn:

_osLegacyFlatPanelPowerOff:

_dacIsFlatPanelOn:

_dacGetHeadForMobilePanel:

_dacDisableFlatPanelTimingGeneratorSyncs:

_dacPowerOffAllMobilePanels:

_dacExecuteFlatPanelScripts:

_dacSetFlatPanelMode:

_dispInitPanelPowerSaving_STUB:

_dispSetPanelPowerSaving_STUB:

_sorWriteDpInternalPanelBit_STUB:

_sorIsDpInternalPanel_STUB:

Maybe just change the names with hexeditor (like 0xed) to disable?

Just adding a humble, most probably useless contribution:

I had nothing better to do yesterday and so tried to find some hint strings in NVIDIA's kexts among other things hoping to learn something in the process. Firstly I tried to find some probable hardcoded name for display (in Windows, my VAIO's display is identified as DISPLAY\MS_0025, in Linux, without any patch, NVIDIA's control panel shows a "MS panel" for the internal display LVDS). Actually, I found a boot option in NVDAResman that I didn't know before (nv_disable=1).

So I booted up my hackintosh with "GraphicsEnabler=yes nv_disable=1". In this way, the geforce driver were loaded but disabled. The GUI came normally as it would without using GraphicsEnabler. But this time the properties of the graphics card and display were properly listed in the System Profiler, although "Display connector" was totally blank. But I noticed that in PCI Devices it showed two devices regarding the NVIDIA card (a "display_b" with vendor/device ids 0x10de,0x0a29 and another entry called "NVDA, Parent", with ids 0x10de, 0x0be2 which may be the HDMI port, although it has different device ID in Windows). The last one has "ejection relations" to the first one in the Device Manager of Windows 7. When not using the GraphicsEnabler boot option, none of these devices appear in System Profiler.

IMHO, the "only" problem we have is that the geforce driver has no proper display driver to attach to. I guess that's the same reason why we cannot get full native resolution without GraphicsEnabler. But this isn't any news, I know :rolleyes:

My VAIO: VPCF12M0E/B

GeForce 330M