Sony Vaio VPCF115FM Discussion: DSDT Injection

kizwan

787 posts in this topic

Also on like page 3 of this thread :( I don't mind re-approaching things but so far the following things have been covered:

EDID injection: about 9000 times.

NVCAPs: about 10 times

DSDT patching: Doesn't really work

SNY controller makes it not work: The SNC drivers have nothing to do with the LCD being on or off

I'm not discouraging you, in fact it'd be funny if someone modded their sound driver and their monitor randomly started working.. but yea.

Ever wish you bought an E series instead of an F series? That'd be me right now lol

hi

i m not sure we can sayd 100 o/o it couldn t be sny5001 because no one find the real reason but i think we can search on dlna protocole and i remember 4 years ago industrial talks to something against piracy that shut screen if media don t prof is original don t remember the name of the protocole and i think the result to say we never find theway is just something to kill the topics

Well, i suppose you are monitoring the success on black screen with ATI mobility cards....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249642

This people is patching the LVDS section on ATI driver, maybe we can do the same with Nvidia drivers?

Here is an answer of bcc9:

QUOTE (Funky frank @ Mar 19 2011, 10:09 AM)

I am a Sony VAIO F11 user with a nvidia gt330m card. I believe sony users have similar problems with the nvidia driver. For windows nvidia patched their driver especially for sony notebooks, since 260+.

Under OSX the driver will lead into a black internal screen. All investigations show the problem must be inside the driver. The ioreg shows the driver is correctly loaded, also hdmi works. Only display0 inside Display-B is matched by IOGraphicsFamily, but there is a Display-A missing: screenshot ioreg

Now I have some questions to you:

1. How did you find out that there are these personalities inside the driver?
It was well known from the ATI injection techniques that the driver had these personalities. Kabyl's chameleon branch went a bit further and allowed one to dynamically specify which personality to try (but still left you with 26 hardcoded choices to trudge through).

Additionally, even without the above, the "I/O Kit Fundamentals" document defines driver personalities, and it was obvious these personalities existed just from looking at the Info.plist for the ATI Framebuffer kext.

2. How did you know you have to look into the atiframebuffer kext, and not another ati kext?

When you look at the driver personality definitions in the info.plist, you can quickly see that there are only a couple parameters that are defined there, and these are insufficient to explain the behavioral difference seen in practice when you test against different personalities.

So the code must be checking the personality string itself. A simple

cd /System/Library/Extensions

find . -exec fgrep -l Vervet {} \;

showed that, lacking obfuscation, only the ATIFramebuffer kext references the example personality string. Then looking at the decompiled or disassembled code, it is clear that these strings are only set in the C++ class specific createInfo() routines, where those routines were also initializing other important attributes beyond what was in the Info.plist.

3. Do you have any suggestions how I could start investigation on the nvidia kexts to fix this problem?

Getting a bit off topic, but...

The nvidia and ati drivers have several key IO registry values in common such as the connector-type, and av-signal-type, that seem to share the same pre-defined values. I was able to, for example, see that my nvidia 9400m's HDMI audio was failing due to the connector-type being identified wrong after I figured out the connector-type for HDMI from the ATI driver.

It takes quite a bit of programming experience to be able to figure out the semantics of what the code is doing just from looking at the disassembled/decompiled kexts. Unfortunately the nvidia driver is harder to look at than the ati driver, as it looks like there is a bloated abstraction layer in NVDAResman that gets in the way.

So a simpler approach is probably to figure out the answer as to what exactly is different under OSX about a genuine mac with a gt330m vs a sony with a gt330m. Prepare to compare hardware initialization via breakpointing of the kexts if you have to. If sony really has a necessary hardware specific patch for the driver under windows, figure out exactly what it is doing, then check for such support in OSX if applicable.

But probably it's a simple matter of getting the right values for NVCAP and perhaps display-cfg. nvenabler trys to compute these dynamically for you, unfortunately it's closed source. Are you sure nobody has figured out working NVCAP/display-cfg for your hardware?

EDIT:

New answers from bcc9 and kizwan: read here

i m not sure we can sayd 100 o/o it couldn t be sny5001 because no one find the real reason but i think we can search on dlna protocole and i remember 4 years ago industrial talks to something against piracy that shut screen if media don t prof is original don t remember the name of the protocole and i think the result to say we never find theway is just something to kill the topics

The nvidia driver 260+ works also without the sny501 driver sys on Windows. So I guess it's not used to enable the display.

I've been reading through your comments and posts here with great interest. I have a Vaio, VPCF131FM/B and I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a solution to the internal LCD graphics enabler issue as well.

At the risk of pissing off those of you who have been working so hard on this DSDT approach, I'd like to suggest that it might not be the best way to go. Having said that, it seems that there may be multiple approaches to this problem, but I'd like to suggest an alternate approach from my experience.

I think the real problem may lie in the driver. I think this because I have created a triple boot system with Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OSX; though the OSX portion still does not have full resolution.

When I installed Ubuntu I had an issue with the LCD there as well. While I never connected it to an external video source, I believe it was doing the exact same thing using the stock driver provided with 10.10 Ubuntu as OSX does with GraphicsEnabler=yes on this computer. After searching around for a fix I found this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Laptop/So...Series/Maverick

or for those of you who like "clicky click"

Ubuntu Sony Vaio F Series Maverick LCD Fix

Additionally, it can be a hassle to reinstall Windows 7 on these computers due to the same driver issue. It looks like NVIDIA fixed the issue by creating new drivers for Sony for all platforms... except OSX. Compounding the issue, NVIDIA refuses to release the source code of their drivers.

However, there may be hope. NVIDIA does have a little to work with, available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

nvidia drivers

So... I'm no expert on coding drivers, and I'm not sure what went into "GraphicsEnabler" soup, but it would seem to me that this kext uses the outdated driver or a one-off that causes the same issues in Windows and Ubuntu as well as numerous other Unix/Linux distros and if one could come up with a new version of the GraphicsEnabler kext using the updated drivers from nvidia, and believe me I have no time to teach myself how to accomplish such a feat at the moment, I think it might result in a fix to the LCD issue.

Thoughts? Is this possible? It sounds like the closest version to the Darwin system OSX uses would be the BSD driver, which is available from nvidia... sooo.... anyone know someone who could port this driver to OSX? I'm pretty confident that if it could be done it would solve this problem.

Not sure how soon I'll be back here, but if I can offer any testing help, or any other help comment back or send me an email Nerdy.Matthew@gmail.com

hi M_Bilyeu, i'm happy to see new people trying to get this solved ;)

You're deductions seems correct, i also believe that the real problem is in the nvidia driver (i have triple boot too) but i think no one can write a 100% working driver starting from 0 for a modern vga :unsure:

We have 2 approach to the problem now:

- try to patch the driver (some ati user have done that, we can learn from they're experience)

- try to understand the real reason behind the not working lcd. Ok it's the driver, but why? If we discover that we can try to find alternative solutions.

Some people believe the problem is in the SNC (Sony Notebook Controller), and you can try to edit that via DSDT, but i really don't know nothing about that.. maybe someone can explain this better.

Last thing: maybe i did not understand you about the GraphicsEnabler, but it doesn't force any driver. It just inject some information about the video card to make OSX auto-detect the right kext to assign. Sadly the "right kext" is the nvidia v256 driver, with the in-famous problem of blank lcd. I'm still hoping in a new v260 driver that can fix this, but i don't think nvidia will release new driver.. and even if nvidia releases it we have no guarantee that it will work.

Good luck with your investigations! :D

First i wanna thank Alex for his efforts about the blank screen !

I also own a sony vaio vgn-fz31z with the same exactly problem as everyone else . My setup is a triple boot setup with chameleon bootloader ( OSx -Win7 - Ubuntu 10.10 ) my vga is the 8600M GS the one with the faulty chipset that you have to heat up with a heat-gun every time it fails......

I wanna say that i never had a problem with ubuntu cause i used the latest drivers the first time ( i got this laptop in my hands 2 months ago )

Searching around for a fix i found that nvidia doesn't have any driver or driver support on her FTP site for OSx other than this on her download site

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-3.1-driver.html

I dont know if this is the full driver or something for cuda support only but i can see that my vga is supported there.

im running in vesa mode under osx and when im trying to install this one i only getting an error that "This computer is not supported" of course i can try to install the individual packages inside the main installer but i didn't i ( im now on ubuntu and cant remember exactly tha name of those 3 packages - i will restart in OSx and Edit later with the names)

Im nowhere near to your knowledge about how the OSx kexts work ( Im a normal Linux user - win )

But im curious about one thing how is it possible that our LCD working under Vesa Mode? and not under nvidia there must be a detection procedure for our stupid software edid cause when i did a edid export under osx vesa mode using SwitchResX ( http://www.madrau.com/download/latest/latest.html )

all i found is nonsense and some fake edid data but other than that the lcd is working great as we all know ;/ So what exactly is happening here Vesa driver ( or what vesa is ) doesn't detect any edid from our LCD and fill in same fake one ?

Nevermind im already confused

Ok the driver package from the nvidia driver has those individual packages inside :

Driver Driver.pkg

OpenGL Driver.pkg

Video Driver.pkg

Plus this is my edid export under osx vesa mode

DDC block report generated by SwitchResX version 4.2.3 for display
Unknown Monitor

-----------------------------------------------------
------------------- RAW DATA ------------------------
  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F
0  | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 17 07 00 00 00 00
1  | 0A 0A 01 01 0C 1E 17 BE E8 2D C9 A0 57 47 98 27
2  | 12 48 4C 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
3  | 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 00 00 FE 00 53 52 58 46 61
4  | 6B 65 45 44 49 44 0A 20 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
5  | 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
6  | 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
7  | 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 5A

<  00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 00001707 00000000 0A0A0101 0C1E17BE E82DC9A0 57479827 12484C00 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010000 00FE0053 52584661 6B654544 49440A20 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101005A	>

{  0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF,  0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00,  0x00, 0x00, 0x17, 0x07,  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,  0x0A, 0x0A, 0x01, 0x01,  0x0C, 0x1E, 0x17, 0xBE,  0xE8, 0x2D, 0xC9, 0xA0,  0x57, 0x47, 0x98, 0x27,  0x12, 0x48, 0x4C, 0x00,  0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00,  0x00, 0xFE, 0x00, 0x53,  0x52, 0x58, 0x46, 0x61,  0x6B, 0x65, 0x45, 0x44,  0x49, 0x44, 0x0A, 0x20,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,  0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x5A, 	}

Valid EDID block: checksum passed

------------------- MAIN EDID BLOCK -----------------

EDID Version........1.1
Manufacturer........@@@
Product Code........5895 (1707) (0717)
Serial Number.......00000000

Manufactured........Week 10 of year 2000
Max H Size..........30 cm
Max V Size..........23 cm
Gamma...............2.90

Display Supported Features:
---------------------------
Power Management: Active off	Power Management: Suspend	Power Management: Standby

Display type:
-------------
RGB color display
Display is non continuous frequency
Default color space is not sRGB standard

Input signal & sync:
--------------------
Analog input with: 	0.700V / 0.300V
Separate Sync
Composite Sync

Color info:
-----------
Red x = 0.625  Green x = 0.280  Blue x = 0.155  White x = 0.283
Red y = 0.342  Green y = 0.595  Blue y = 0.070  White y = 0.298

Established Timings:
--------------------

Manufacturer Reserved Timings:
------------------------------

Standard Timing Identification:
-------------------------------

Monitor Description blocks:
---------------------------
Descriptor #0 - ASCII data:
		SRXFakeEDID		   <------- This is what bothers me 

Descriptor #1 - Empty descriptor

Descriptor #2 - Empty descriptor

Descriptor #3 - Empty descriptor

hi zzecool, i'm a normal user (windows only!) like you so i'm not that experienced :P

in your case you can't install the new nvidia driver is because it support 330m and 320m model only :( i'm a totally noob and i don't know how to force, but you can try to use the tonymacx86 modded driver, seems like it works for a lot of model: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=69/ (registration required!)

Sadly, the problem isn't in the edid detection, in the first pages of this thread you can see some people succesfully inject the edid without any result. Even some real guru (like krazubu, the nvenabler developer) said that the problem is not in edid, and i trust him more than myself :P

The cuda driver seems to be an "add-on" to the normal driver that not replace it.. so we can't have any result with that.

good luck :P

Alex take a look here : http://www.taranfx.com/install-mac-os-lion...n-pc-hackintosh

This guy have a full guide for installing lion on a sony vaio CW 16 and looks like he made it with full Acceleration

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony Vaio specs :

Sony Vaio VPC-CW16 (Screen 14''; P8700 2.53Ghz ; 4 GB RAM; 320 GB Hard drive; NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M GPU (512MB) ; HDMI Output. Etc..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.O

ill look for this a bit more cause from what they say chameleon doesnt support booting lion ( netkas blog ) So i have to wait till they release a working chameleon cause i dont want to ruin my system

After all i love my Chameleon theme ;)

I just burned a bunch of time I should have spend studying for a test, sooo... what's a few more minutes right? I'm trying the Lion version immediately. I'll report back if it works. I think it sounds like it might be the simplest way to go about it. I've used a taranfax guide before and found it worked quite well. As for the Chameleon vs EFI, I actually like EFI, and you could always just load it from a bootable CD or USB and use it load your... whatever you feel like using that day. Lucky me I have that 8gb USB stick as well. Too bad I'll have to delete my customized Ubuntu distro, but Oh well. I'll be downloading this, and I'll let you all know how it goes.

zzecool, sadly only some vaios have this blank screen problem, the CW model works fine while our F sucks :P

we can try to do a list of vaio model with this problem, maybe we can found some clue!

M_Bilyeu, good luck with your lion test, i can't wait for your result ;)

Hey guys,

Food for thought, I was sitting around trying to figure out based on other situations what we need to head the right direction. Now, I have a HP tablet with a ATI mobility card in it. A while back the best I could get graphics wise was essentially nothing...BUT, then Dong released his RadeonHD kext and I was able to get my native resolution, still no acceleration but its a IGP so no hopes there. Anyways I am saying this b/c I believe that this is the route we need to take, RadeonHD.kext acts as a framebuffer for unsupported gfx cards, it has nothing to do with acceleration (if your card isn't supported by the built in kexts that do accelerataion with or without modding then the best you'd get is your native resolution). Luckily we know that the GT 330M is infact supported by OS X. So I believe our issue is the framebuffer, this leaves us two options: 1) we modify the builtin framebuffer some way to make it work with our card (no idea how to do this). or 2) create a new framebuffer (or port an existing open source one if it exists) that will work with our cardd (I'm a java programmer and have very little obj-c experience so this needs pros). Tell me what y'all think if this sounds about right.

~DemonBlitz~

Alex take a look here : http://www.taranfx.com/install-mac-os-lion...n-pc-hackintosh

This guy have a full guide for installing lion on a sony vaio CW 16 and looks like he made it with full Acceleration

Sony Vaio specs :

Sony Vaio VPC-CW16 (Screen 14''; P8700 2.53Ghz ; 4 GB RAM; 320 GB Hard drive; NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M GPU (512MB) ; HDMI Output. Etc..

O.O

ill look for this a bit more cause from what they say chameleon doesnt support booting lion ( netkas blog ) So i have to wait till they release a working chameleon cause i dont want to ruin my system

After all i love my Chameleon theme :D

Hey thanks for these good news!

I have a quite similar notebook and can't wait to try it out!

hopefully i'll find time this week

@AlexanderPD: The CW Series had the same problems with the internal screen just like the f series

Hey thanks for these good news!

I have a quite similar notebook and can't wait to try it out!

hopefully i'll find time this week

@AlexanderPD: The CW Series had the same problems with the internal screen just like the f series

Ohhh great im waiting for any news :)

Hey fellow hackintoshers, I think I may have a lead on a solution here.

EDIT: No, actually I don't. However, I think there may be information here that could be useful, or at least help someone else not get sucked down this false lead so I'm leaving my shame up here. Long story short, the plist files discussed below are created by one of the display configuration programs and can ultimately affect how your display works, but only if your display shows up in IOService registry first, which mine and I'm pretty sure yours does not.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post already in progress.......

However, I want to run it by a few of you who may have a little more experience with OS X to see what you think and to see if I'm on the right track.

Oh, first off, I have not tried the Lion version posted above, if anyone has please be sure to post back with your results. After I reviewed it, I became skeptical because it appears to use the same drivers that the 10.6.7 version I'm using utilizes, so I think it may be a waste of time. This song of mine may change once the official release of 10.7 comes out.

Anyway, I have been doing a considerable amount of data mining on the mac forums and I've come across an idea. I read a bunch of posts dealing with display connection issues and how OS X stores display information. That combined with my own observations of the different plist files OS X generates has planted a little seed of an idea. Here is the dirty:

Ok, so I kept looking at the Linux solutions to this issue with the Vaio F series and the current solution is a driver update, however, the former solution before the new driver was released was to add a reference to the Xorg.conf file for the EDID for the display pulled from within Windows. Now, I know some of you have tried injecting EDID and this has failed, I'd like to know how that works but this isn't quite going in that direction.

So, I started looking for an analogous configuration file in OS X. com.apple.windowserver.plist presents itself as the most likely candidate, so I look at it and I do more research.

I found out that this file is automatically generated by OS X for detected displays. Now, I had been toying around with connecting to my flat screen TV and modifying com.apple.boot.plist to try to get it to load the correct driver settings. That did do something, it blacked out my screen completely, no internal or external display and no luck removing the device key from boot.plist under single user mode, so I just reinstalled OS X and went looking for com.apple.windowserver.plist again...

And guess what I found? Nothing. It's not there, and I'm guessing this is because OS X isn't detecting the LCD at all, which isn't much of a revelation.

What I'm betting is that if I connect to my LCD, reboot, shutdown, and restart, I'm going to find com.apple.windowserver.plist again. I'm also betting that I'm going to find a com.apple.windowserver.xxxxx.plist file somewhere else, where the xxxx portion is some unique identifier for my LCD flat screen TV.

So, the payoff. I'm waiting on a friend to send files from her mac, but I'm thinking if we can edit com.apple.windowserver.plist correctly AND insert the com.apple.windowserver.xxxx.plist file appropriately edited for the settings of the internal LCD and I guess editing the xxxx portion, we might just get a working internal LCD.

I'm not sure if this would be the total solution or not, but if the internal LCD is going to work I'm pretty confident that these files MUST be there. From what I can tell they are also persistent after they are generated, or were as of OS X 10.5, maybe latter, so we don't have to worry about them being destroyed.

I'm going to give it a shot, but let me know what you all think, especially if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree and I might just go back to the Lion solution again. I'll report back with further findings soon.

Just for reference for the rest of you if you want to do your own investigations I'm using a Vaio VPCF131FM with the Geforce 310m card. To install I used the Hazard 10.6.6i, which is actually 10.6.7, with boot flags -v -x cpus=2 busratio=18 and I did the install vanilla and use no boot flags at all when booting after. When I use graphicsenabler=yes I get full resolution and acceleration on an external TV through HDMI but nothing on my screen. No audio or wifi.

Well???

Lies, all lies!

Ok.... this is actually not so good.

Here is what I learned.

Forget everything I just said about the com.apple.windowserver.plist files, they are not the key, the internal LCD simply isn't located in IOService registry. I'm looking for a way to edit that manually, but we will have to see what happens or if it's even possible.

More bad news, I don't have full acceleration on the LCD TV, no QE, maybe you all should check or let me know what kext you are using if you do have full acceleration?

I had a hopeful moment when it identified the card correctly, but I just realized that was information it was getting from VBIOS, so thats no use. I'm going to see if IORegistry can be altered manually, and if not I figure what the hell, I'll try Lion, not like I've got any better ideas. Maybe it does contain an updated driver.

Not sure how else to check for QE, but I have iLife installed and iMovie goes nowhere if I attempt to run it, but it is detecting the card anyway. I get a no QE no iMovie message. Front Row does work however, so WTF? My mouse is blue as well, I'm thinking I may have included an NVIDIA kext the first time and might have had full acceleration, or perhaps not. Looking forward to Lion I guess.

Good luck all

And.... I'm out.

For now anyway.

At least for my Vaio, I have no QE on external display so it's not simply a matter of getting the internal LCD detected, it's also a matter of figuring out how to get the card I have supported.

I think it might be possible to port the OpenBSD driver to OS X. It might not even be that difficult, I've been looking at the code for the past few hours and it even contains some interesting references to Mac and OS X, but this may simply be for OpenBSD systems dual booting on real mac hardware, or there may be something else to it. I'd imagine nvidia reuses as much code as possible, which suggest to me that porting the driver might be possible.

I simply don't have the time to do it right now though, and for my situation, that is the only thing that would produce satisfying results. Additionally, the only reason I started my Hackintosh projects is to get the iOS SDK, which I have anyway, and since using "Graphics Mode"="1600X900X60" is functionally the same thing I would get if I did get the internal screen detected with GraphicsEnabler=yes, I see no point in continuing until I can code a proper driver and kill two birds with one stone.

I do, however, have a parting suggestion for those of you with the 320m and 330m cards that you may want to try.

I believe I read somewhere that some of you had tried to install the updated driver from the nvidia site... try this:

Get This:

Ok, I can't post the direct link but I'm pretty sure if you type "Hazard" "10.6.6i" and "torrent" into Google you will get a link to the iratePaye ayBaye and you can download this essential file. Go buy a retail DVD if you feel bad to reset your Karmic balance after you get this.

Burn the DVD and use that to install. You will need flags -v, -x, cpu, and busratio as well, look up what is appropriate for your machine, in order to boot the DVD to install, after that you will need no flags to boot after install. Select no options, it should work for you without them, or you might need the kext support for i7, not sure on that one, or you could try cpu and busratio flags after the fact, I don't know, you figure it out.

Anyway, get it up and running and download the most recent nvidia driver if you don't have it already:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Now, if you get the "This solution is unsupported in your system" message don't be a double click dummy, right click on it, it's an image file, click the view contents option and drill down till you find the folder with the three package files for the install and you can force the install that way. It didn't do anything for me, but I don't have a 320m or 330m card. No, I have a mother f****** 310m card.

Anyway, good luck to all of you and don't let me miss it if you find an overall solution!

http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/my-vaio-ux/

?????????????????????????????????,,,,,,

Neat, but it's a completely different system and graphics card. So there isn't really anything we can do with this experience. It's kind of a pain actually. You can throw OSX on this, or a Dell Mini 9 and with little problems, but try it with a full fledged 1k laptop and it's a little sh**! Oh well...

Yeah, after one last huff, I'm done with this.

I don't think it can be done at all.

The linux solution hands off the EDID directly to the GPU, if those of you with natively supported cards can figure out a way to do this possibly with the com.apple.windowserver.plist files, you might be able to make something happen, but I don't think so.

I think this has something to do with how the card and lcd are implemented in the vaio. I don't think it's a simple BIOS issue, it would have been much simpler to send out a bios flash update than to have NVIDIA fix the driver.

No, whatever this is, it's in the nvidia drivers, and it's fixed for everything but OS X because, well, these machines aren't really supposed to be running OS X. No more losing sleep over this one peeps.

Again, the leverage of the entire Linux community only found one way to do this, give that EDID in .bin format directly to the card, but I don't know if OS X would even begin to support any type of fix like this, and apple isn't forthcoming with any ways to manually register devices in the IO tree.

Maybe a DSDT, maybe not.

In general though, I think we are all SOL unless someone can talk NVIDIA into releasing an updated driver for OSX that includes the fix they had to do for the Sony laptops, and what do you think the odds of that are? I'll be focusing my attentions on my Toshiba when I get it back. Good luck all!