Steam for Mac is released.

atlee

41 posts in this topic

There are a few things I dont like about Steam

(1) Steam wants to load up when OS X loads.

(2) Every Steam game seams to start by loading Steam.

(3) Offline play sometimes wont work, is tricky to get working,

or just pain dont work.

(4) Always seams to be downloading updates, gets in the way of playing games.

(5) If you are downloading, someone is watching Hulu, and so on, Steam may

not connect, and you cant play your game.

All that DRM seams like a pain in the butt to me, I think I will skip

putting up with it, and just buy the game on CD/DVD and do what

I need to ;)

I use Steam since the very first day it was released and there have never been problems. Except of servers being down when everyone tried to download counter strike 1.6 :D

Steam has worked great for me through XP, Vista and now Windows 7, and it runs surprisingly well on the Hackintosh too, I finished Portal on it the other day and started playing Torchlight again. No problems at all.

sadly, im disappointed and hope that they only optimize the games in the future. hl2 chokes on high settings on my macbook pro in snow leopard, but runs much smoother, with a higher frame rate and loading times in windows 7 (same machine).

Can only blame apples {censored} drivers for that then , is nothing to do with steam really stea mis just a frontend

I had already played portal almost all the way threw, and had used Steam

since it came out with no real problems, other than having to wait for

updates to download, that seamed to happen every time I started Steam,

and the keyboard has never messed up on my Hackintosh, except after that

update it downloaded for Portal, and the keyboard worked fine after I

was able to exit, ether way I dont want to rely on there DRM or the Network

to play a game.

ether way I dont want to rely on there DRM or the Network

to play a game.

OK, fine. We get your point. Steam won't be getting any more of your money. There are millions of others who use Steam quite happily. Frankly, Valve and Steam have breathed life into the PC gaming world, and have kick-started the Mac gaming scene very successfully in a couple of weeks.

Like it or loathe it, I'm afraid this is the way things are going. DRM, internet validation on product keys so you can't sell your games on, etc. Things are changing.

Pity it wasn't for you, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I should be surprised if Apple, Valve and Nvidia/ATI aren't working together right now to optimize the OS X drivers better for gaming. AFAIK, Steam collects performance data, and they should have lots of that by now.

For me having Steam on the Mac is just a bonus - I already bought the games and play them in Windows - having one more platform to play them on is great. I'm pretty sure that's the case for the majority of people who run Steam on their Macs or Hacks. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any issues at all - except for the black portals but everyone got that and it was fixed in a few days.

I'm sure the bugs will get ironed out in time, I'm glad to see all the updates Steam gets on the Mac, that proves that they're working on improving it.

To me it's all unicorns and rainbows, and if I want the extra performance, for now, I can still boot into Windows.

I had already played portal almost all the way threw, and had used Steam

since it came out with no real problems, other than having to wait for

updates to download, that seamed to happen every time I started Steam,

and the keyboard has never messed up on my Hackintosh, except after that

update it downloaded for Portal, and the keyboard worked fine after I

was able to exit, ether way I dont want to rely on there DRM or the Network

to play a game.

Easy option then mate simply dont use it :( its just the way it is and having it that way on an apple system is better than not at all

Hackint0sh + Steam is what I always dreamed of, but the fps on my machine sucks. On windows 7 or XP with the same machine I get like 3~4x more fps on the same games. Would it be any problem with the way I installed my vga?

There are a few things I dont like about Steam

(1) Steam wants to load up when OS X loads.

(2) Every Steam game seams to start by loading Steam.

(3) Offline play sometimes wont work, is tricky to get working,

or just pain dont work.

(4) Always seams to be downloading updates, gets in the way of playing games.

(5) If you are downloading, someone is watching Hulu, and so on, Steam may

not connect, and you cant play your game.

All that DRM seams like a pain in the butt to me, I think I will skip

putting up with it, and just buy the game on CD/DVD and do what

I need to ;)

1) like they said above you can change that

2) This ensures you have all updates, plus u can use the overlay (shift+tab) to talk to friends

3) it just came out for mac give it time, windows works fine (I have over 80 games on steam)

4) that is a known bug will be fixed soon

5) pop off the ethernet cable and if you've told it to save you password before hand it will offer offline mode

DRM? its completly worth it, no installs.. no cds.. on demand.. what else could a mac user ask for

This is a huge step for mac.. and they want to get feedback from the community so of course it will be buggy.

the best software is software released early and followed through to a fully stable version.

Hackint0sh + Steam is what I always dreamed of, but the fps on my machine sucks. On windows 7 or XP with the same machine I get like 3~4x more fps on the same games. Would it be any problem with the way I installed my vga?

Hi ive got the same card as you ati hd4870 and i find it the same a little less fps than i get in my windows 7 but itll get better in time with descent apple ati drivers ( hopefully ) :P

currently yes the fps in mac are significantly lower than windows, they are still optimizing the opengl portion of the code give it time.

I have a 9800 gx2 and im getting barely 30-50 fps.. a week ago i was getting 15-30 fps so its getting better.. i should get about 70-130 when its fully optimized (monitor maxes out at 60 so i wont notice)