iLenovo G550

178 posts in this topic

This is a Tutorial on how to install Mac OSX 10.6 on to your Lenovo G550 to Make it a iLenovo G550.

You need all the downloads from this topic including the BIOS updates which have the WhiteList Removed enabling you to use a Broadcom WiFi that works as a Airport Device.

Website now Dedicated to Lenovo G550 now at http://ilenovo-g550.ultrahostinguk.co.uk/

BOOTCD-132 Rev 2 Beta is Released now at ilenovo-g550 website

Now we have a Boot-132 Dedicated to the iLenovo G550 with working Trackpad during install.
New Link Below

UPDATE, Nvidia M GFX users there is now a New Driver Update for 10.6.4 which you can download HERE

The Files:- (New Links Enabled to http://ilenovo-g550.ultrahostinguk.co.uk/)
32Bit Lenovo G550 Bios (Whitelist Removed) !Signup to download
64bit Lenovo G550 Bios (Whitelist Removed)!Signup to download
iLenovo G550 Boot-132 CD!Signup to download
iLenovo G550 Boot-132 CD Rev2 beta !Signup to download
Apple Mac OSX 10.6.3 Update V1.1
BroadCom Wifi Patch (How to Install the patch can be found HERE)
Kext Helper 7B

ALL LINKS APART FROM APPLE UPDATE ARE DEAD!

To start lets Boot into Windows and Use One recovery to Make a Factory Restore Disk Set this will backup that lovely recovery partition and the OneKey Recovery Bootup. Also Backup the Drivers Folder in D:\ this is for the Windows 7 Install later!!!!!!!!

Now Flash your Bios with 32 bit Version for 32bit Windows 7 install and 64 Bit for Windows 7 64bit.

Now reboot back to Windows and Burn the iLenovo G550 CD. This now has all the files in order to make a
clean install of mac OSX 10.6.x (10.6.3 Tested only).

Now if you have important data i suggest you back all that up as well as this Tutorial will Ease your Hard Disc completey as it needs to be a GPT formatted Disk.

You'll Need a Retail 10.6.x DVD for this if you have a Retail DVD with 10.6.3 you don't need the 10.6.3 update.

There will Be Two Version of this Tutorial, One for Single Boot and One for Dual Boot. Single Boot will be the last one as most use Dual Boot now adays.

Now i don't take an credit for all this as i didn't make the files all i have done is put them all together for you.

Dual Boot Guide.

1) Boot From your iLenovo G500 CD after thats booted replace the CD with the Snow Leopard DVD and press F5.
2) Select the Snow Leopard DVD and then type -f -v.
3) Now once Snow Leopard is Loaded head over to the Disk Utillies Program and Partition your Drive to GPT (Remember the 4 Primary Partition rule Still counts for windows and EFI counts as one of them also make sure to Format the Windows Partitions as Fat 32 so you can format them in Windows 7.)
4) Now Close Disk Utillites and open Terminal.
5) Type into terminal fdisk -e /dev/disk0.
6) Now Type F 3 and press enter then follow with U and then W. You may now exit Terminal.
7) Now with the Windows Partition Marked as active reboot the Laptop and boot off your Windows 7 Install ( Google for Download and how to Activate it, No bootloaders are Required as SLIC 2.1 is already in the bios Cert and key is all that is required)
8) Once You get to install Windows 7 you'll get to the Partition Tool, now Choose the Fat32 Partition you made for Windows and Format it, the 200MB Partition that Windows 7 Makes will no longer install so it will al go in the Windows partition.
9) Continue to install Windows 7.
10) Once Windows 7 is installed and you have all the Drivers installed reboot your laptop and boot Again from the iLenovo G550 CD and Snow Leopard CD.
11) Now Your Back Into Snow Leopard Continue to install the OS and Select the partition For Mac OSX. (Advice Do not Install Printers or Languges as these will make the install take 2 Hours + just install the Quicktime Roseta and the Core for Now...)
12) After install is completed restart your PC and Boot again From iLenovo G550 CD.
13) Now Select Your Snow Leopard Partition and type -f -v. Now Mac Should boot up.
14) Once you have Setup your username etc, Load the BootCD and read the readme!
15) Install Charmelon via its installer then head over to your Snow leopard Partition and Copy my files in the Extra's download to the Extra's folder on your Snow leapord Partition.
16) Now Extract and Run Kext Helper 7B and install the Voodoo HDA kext file.
17) Now Install 10.6.3 V1.1 Update (After It Complete's Don't Restart)
18) Head over to /System/Library/Extensions and remove AppleHDA.Kext (sound will not work with that in) Also then Remove IONetworking as well then using Kext Help install the Version in the Extra's Extensions Folder.
19) Now Run the Wifi Patch if your using a Broadcom Wifi Card!
20) Then Run Disc Utillites and Run a Repair Disc Permissions.
21) Now if you have done all the above to the letter you may reboot your Mac OSX.
22) Boot of the Hard Drive Select Mac Partition and type -f -v and enjoy your iLenovo G550

Single Boot Guide.

1) Boot From your iLenovo G550 CD after thats booted replace the CD with the Snow Leopard DVD and press F5.
2) Select the Snow Leopard DVD and then type -f -v.
3) Now once Snow Leopard is Loaded head over to the Disk Utillies Program and Partition your Drive to GPT
4) Now Close Disk Utillites.
5) Now Continue to install the OS and Select the partition For Mac OSX. (Advice Do not Install Printers or Languges as these will make the install take 2 Hours + just install the Quicktime Roseta and the Core for Now...)
6) After install is completed restart your PC and Boot again From iLenovo G550 CD.
7) Now Select Your Snow Leopard Partition and type -f -v. Now Mac Should boot up.
8) Once you have Setup your username etc, Load Up the Boot cd and read the readme..
9) Install Charmelon via its installer then head over to your Snow leopard Partition and Copy my files in the Extra's download to the Extra's folder on your Snow leapord Partition.
10) Now Extract and Run Kext Helper 7B and install the Voodoo HDA kext file.
11) Now Install 10.6.3 V1.1 Update (After It Complete's Don't Restart)
12) Head over to /System/Library/Extensions and remove AppleHDA.Kext (sound will not work with that in) Also then Remove IONetworking as well then using Kext Help install the Version in the Extra's Extensions Folder.
13) Now Run the Wifi Patch if your using a Broadcom Wifi Card!
14) Then Run Disc Utillites and Run a Repair Disc Permissions.
15) Now if you have done all the above to the letter you may reboot your Mac OSX.
16) Boot of the Hard Drive Select Mac Partition and type -f -v and enjoy your iLenovo G550

All Thanks Go To the Following for there Work.

Alexey for the BIOS Mods
DR. Hurt for The Charmelon EFI Installer
Charmelon EFI Team: Crazor, Dense, fassl, iNDi, Kabyl, kaitek, mackerintel, mercurysquad, munky, Turbo, zef
Thanks to: bumby, cosmo1t, dfe, Galaxy, kalyway, netkas, sckevyn, XyZ For Charmelon EFI
MCSMART for the Wifi Patch
KakeWalk for Thier CD Boot 132

And all the other Dev's in the OSX86 world that made the Kext Files that i have Used!

BIOS RECOVERY! (Just incase)

I suggest you download or make a backup of your bios.wph file.

Download this WinCrisis Bios Recovery and copy to a USB Flash drive that has been formatted in FAT16 or Fat32 copy your bios.wph also in the root of the flash drive.

Then Follow the steps below.

1. Disconnect the power cable and battery.
2. Press and hold Fn + B. (This may not work as Keys Combos are different, you can try Fn + Esc, WinLogo + B, and WinLogo + Esc)
3. While holding Fn + B, plug in the power cable. At this point you may notice a brief flash on the screen, which is a good sign.
4. While still holding Fn + B, press power on.
5. Release Fn + B.
6.The system should now boot in Crisis Recovery Mode.

I took a blind dive at mine and its still working using it at this moment to type this.

Important Notice if you turn your lenovo G550 into a door stop neither myself nor insanelymac takes and responsiblity for any damage.
If you don't know how to flash a bios JUST DON'T DO IT!

Yes i also have the 210M GFX on mine although Intel 5100 AGN doesn't work with Snow Leopard. Flash with bios fix and then use a Broadcom Wifi. Will sort out my Trackpad then will make a Boot-132 CD for everyone with all the downloads on it.

Yes i also have the 210M GFX on mine although Intel 5100 AGN doesn't work with Snow Leopard. Flash with bios fix and then use a Broadcom Wifi. Will sort out my Trackpad then will make a Boot-132 CD for everyone with all the downloads on it.

Impresive work... just tested your extra folder... needed to edit LPC injector because my device id is 2919... and droped my tempereature for 5'.

can you send me your full model number "bottom of laptop" before i flash my bios please =)

my is :

model name 20023

My model number is:CB091105AY OR 2985.

the bios works on the G450 and G550.

The orignal BIOS of the 2.53 is here http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/dr..._Show_2884.html if this is where you get your bios from then its safe.

How ever if it does fail you can recover the bios.

Download this WinCrisis Bios Recovery and copy to a USB Flash drive that has been formatted in FAT16 or Fat32 copy your bios.wph also in the root of the flash drive.

2. Press and hold Fn + B. (This may not work as Keys Combos are different, you can try Fn + Esc, WinLogo + B, and WinLogo + Esc)

3. While holding Fn + B, plug in the power cable. At this point you may notice a brief flash on the screen, which is a good sign.

5. Release Fn + B.

I took a blind dive at mine and its still working using it at this moment to type this.

My model number is:CB091105AY OR 2985.

the bios works on the G450 and G550.

The orignal BIOS of the 2.53 is here http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/dr..._Show_2884.html if this is where you get your bios from then its safe.

How ever if it does fail you can recover the bios.

5. Release Fn + B.

TNX! for fulll info! FLASHING NOW! :(

how did the flash go, is all working?? I'm working on a New set of kexts and to try and solve the Nvidia Profile info in system profiler as well.

BIOS flash - OK...

I have my test DSDT with USB,SBUS,SATA,HPET,RTC,LPCB fixes ... what i don't like in your extra... is to much of kexts...

i can send you my dsdt for test or improvement... in my extra i have only fakesmc, voodoobattery, voodoops2contorler

regards...

BIOS flash - OK...

I have my test DSDT with USB,SBUS,SATA,HPET,RTC,LPCB fixes ... what i don't like in your extra... is to much of kexts...

i can send you my dsdt for test or improvement... in my extra i have only fakesmc, voodoobattery, voodoops2contorler

regards...

Please send me the DSDT to try i also agree but once a DSDT is sorted then Kext can then be reduced, glad the flash went OK!

What do you use for sound??????

• 4 weeks later...
replace the CD with the Snow Leopard DVD and press F5.

Where is the download link? Or should I use a torrent search for a 10.6 snow leopard, 6,3 GB iso file?

Question: Is LAN working well? I ask because, on work i Use lan, home only WiFi. I also have a mobile connection, but it has 10.6.x driver, so it will be fine, i gues.

No i do not support pirates, Go get your copy from Apple its on £29.99

YEP. AGREED.

Shhhu, I just ask. Jesus. I don't like to buy things before try them. Anyway, I'm going to buy e genuine DVD. 10x anyway

Shhhu, I just ask. Jesus. I don't like to buy things before try them. Anyway, I'm going to buy e genuine DVD. 10x anyway

No problem mate... Secrets safe with me. I am testing the New Boot CD for the G550 with Nvidia 210M if it works with no problems i'll try then to include the latest charmeleon from AnV which has support for the X4500 and then another for the Nvidia 105M.

Hopefully all works.

Right the new Boot CD is made it works for all of The Nvidia Versions of the G550 it should work with the X4500 but just at 1024x768 (better then nothing) All drivers and Utills are there too with a little readme..

Trackpad now works during install and Once installed and the proper VoodooPS2controller and a modded Trackpad Prefpane is installed so will TapClick work.

Now all is working except the dam Lan card but at least its a 99.99% working hackingtosh.

I'm now running 10.6.4 and i have wipped my drive twice to test the Boot-CD thank god for Time Machine.

Hope you all enjoy!

Where is the download link? Or should I use a torrent search for a 10.6 snow leopard, 6,3 GB iso file?

Question: Is LAN working well? I ask because, on work i Use lan, home only WiFi. I also have a mobile connection, but it has 10.6.x driver, so it will be fine, i gues.

Lan shows up but doesn't work all it seems i can't get it too work.

Wifi is the only way or a USB ethernet adaptor that is from apple.

Right the new Boot CD is made it works for all of The Nvidia Versions of the G550 it should work with the X4500 but just at 1024x768 (better then nothing) All drivers and Utills are there too with a little readme..

Trackpad now works during install and Once installed and the proper VoodooPS2controller and a modded Trackpad Prefpane is installed so will TapClick work.

Now all is working except the dam Lan card but at least its a 99.99% working hackingtosh.

I'm now running 10.6.4 and i have wipped my drive twice to test the Boot-CD thank god for Time Machine.

Hope you all enjoy!

Lan shows up but doesn't work all it seems i can't get it too work.

Wifi is the only way or a USB ethernet adaptor that is from apple.

Ok, I have the genuine DVD. Can you help me a little bit more with the extra folder? I can't find it....

Ok, I have the genuine DVD. Can you help me a little bit more with the extra folder? I can't find it....

Insert the boot CD then open it up. Now you should have TrackPad Battery Extra Utills Bootloader on the disc.

Now go into boot loader and install that it should make a extra's folder in the root of you Snow Leopard Install.

Then from the CD you copy all the files from inside the Extra folder to your Hard Drive Extra Folder.

Hi all,

first of all sorry for my bad english, i'm italian :(

I've a lenovo g550, nvidia 512mb model and i've tried to follow this guide but, after a lot of tentative i have every time the same problem with chameleon installer.

W7 and SnowLeopard (original retail 10.6.3) are installed, when i try to install chameleon the procedure is successfull but no folder are created into hard disk.

After, if i try to boot the notebook from the hard disk i have only a blink cursor (i think no bootloader installed or bad boot procedure), if i use the iLevono boot CD is all ok, i can choose Snowleopard or Seven and every works correctly.

At this moment the problem with my leonovo are:

boot, wifi and final cut studio (final cut crash on opening...).

Thanks to all guys!

Ps.

If i try to install another chameleon (not this for iLenovo) with terminal command line, Chameleon is installed and i can see it during the boot but snowleopard can not starts... i've immediately an error on plist file.

Hi all,

first of all sorry for my bad english, i'm italian ;)

I've a lenovo g550, nvidia 512mb model and i've tried to follow this guide but, after a lot of tentative i have every time the same problem with chameleon installer.

W7 and SnowLeopard (original retail 10.6.3) are installed, when i try to install chameleon the procedure is successfull but no folder are created into hard disk.

After, if i try to boot the notebook from the hard disk i have only a blink cursor (i think no bootloader installed or bad boot procedure), if i use the iLevono boot CD is all ok, i can choose Snowleopard or Seven and every works correctly.

At this moment the problem with my leonovo are:

boot, wifi and final cut studio (final cut crash on opening...).

Thanks to all guys!

Ps.

If i try to install another chameleon (not this for iLenovo) with terminal command line, Chameleon is installed and i can see it during the boot but snowleopard can not starts... i've immediately an error on plist file.

Yep first download and install Charmleon RC4 that will give you the folders i forgot to add that to the CD will be making a new one then install the One from the disc hope this helps.

You can find Charmleon RC4 on these forums as a install from DR Hurt.

I'll upload the Latest CD sometime during the week when i have some free time.

Or if you open the Preboot image file and copy the Extra folder from there to the root of your Snow leopard directory that will also work after repairing the disk permissions via Disk Utils

Ok which partition is active? is the Windows Partition active if so get hold of a Windows 7 Disc and Repair the Windows 7 Install this will refresh the GUID boot sector then try again with Charmeleon RC4. I had this problem once before on a ASUS laptop and this helped. Try that if not try and get back into windows and recover the important files and start again from scratch.

What every you do, do not use gparted to change the activate partition use the Boot cd and boot with -s then just use the following commands

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f x (where X is windows partition)

U then W reboot and repair windows install.