DELL Vostro 3700 / 3xxx ( i5, Nvidia 330M ) OSX86 Snow 10.6.3

288 posts in this topic

This may be a stupid question, but I'm fairly new to dual booting and installing OS X on pcs. I have a Dell Vostro 3700, Windows 7 Pro, i7 Core.

Is there a step by step guide to installing OS X? Right now I have OS X installed on an external hard drive, but can't get the laptop to recognize the drive or boot from it.

Any help for the noob is appreciated.

Thanks!

I was very lazy about it. When I first got it (didn't even bother booting Win7 once haha) Pulled the internal drive and put it in an external, installed the Hazard Snow Leopard release onto it using another Mac, selected included chameleon RC3/platformUUID/fakesmc/realtekR1000SL/dellbluetoothhci/(maybe jmicronata?)/voodoops2controller and voodoobattery. Applied individual updates for 10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.6.4, because the combo update didn't work for some reason. Booted fine first try. Got basic audio from VoodooHDA but replaced it with my own DSDT patch I posted earlier which fixes audio level control and microphone. Wireless support only with a new card. I deleted the Intelpowermanagment and HPET kexts but I don't know if you need to do that. Sleep doesn't work. Sticking with the vanilla Linux DSDT with only audio patches as the MiniHack fixes only made it impossible to close the lid with a running system, though it at least entered sleep mode (wouldn't wake up). I've never bothered to boot Windows on this even when I first got it, I've been running it exclusively with OS X (in 64-bit mode) for over a month and I've had no real issues beyond that, never done a reinstall. No fingerprint reader or SD slot yet, there are probably fixes, but I'm so not in the mood to break it as it is.

Edit: Vostro 3700

So I finally got OS X installing. Had to install Chameleon, boot using busratio=20, -x and -v. During the install though I have no USB ports and have to do the install using the keyboard. Got to a point where the keyboard is not working (point where you choose which drive to install to). Has anyone got an idea how to get past this or get the USB working during install?

Much thanks from the noob!

Dell Vostro 3500 owner here. Would love to be running OS X, but I think no WiFi is a deal-breaker. Are there any work arounds? Perhaps an ExpressCard or USB WiFi? I assume a dual boot with Win 7 is also possible? Thanks for your efforts!

Dell Vostro 3500 owner here. Would love to be running OS X, but I think no WiFi is a deal-breaker. Are there any work arounds? Perhaps an ExpressCard or USB WiFi? I assume a dual boot with Win 7 is also possible? Thanks for your efforts!

I bought one of these 150 Mbps WIFI / WLAN USB Sticks, quite cheap and works well.

( it has a native OSX driver CD included! )

http://cgi.ebay.com/150Mbps-WIFI-WIRELESS-...=item27b03b650d

Hi to you all

I'm looking for a new notebook to buy and i want to install OSX (i'm a happy owner of a mini Dell 10v that works perfectly w 10.6.3). Do you think the 3700 is the best choice?

Thank you.

Hi to you all

I'm looking for a new notebook to buy and i want to install OSX (i'm a happy owner of a mini Dell 10v that works perfectly w 10.6.3). Do you think the 3700 is the best choice?

Thank you.

I am not so sure, I would've gone with the 3300 or 3500 to day not the 3700.

To get the wifi to work you need another card, you can get one at eBay.

The fan isn't to noisy and the battery runs for around 90 minutes and the background lit keyboard is wounder full.

I have a old Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook and with a new wifi card everything works out of the box, speed step, sleep, background light everything.

But this is difficult to get it working 100% on those Vostro's it seem. But if you Can live with the missing stuff, it is a exelent hackingtosh, but to day l would've gone for the 3500.

//Mårten

Hi to you all

Thank you.

I don´ t know if there is any i5 / i7 Notebooks out there running OSX perfectly, expect for a original MB Pro .. :)

As told, its a very good desktop replacement yet, biggest drawback is missing sleep. A big point of course is the very good price, I paied 700 EUR incl. VAT and shipping for my Vostro 3700 i5, thats MUCH cheaper (>> 1000 EUR) then a Original MBP 17''. Its pretty fast, I can do 3D-, Sound- (Logic) and Software development on it. Most important for me is that the graphic is fully supported, most of the other Notebooks use some ATI chips and its not easy to get them running with QE and OpenGL.

Maybe there is some higher end laptops out there for far more then 1000 EUR with better OSX compatibility, but when I invest this It makes no sense to do a hack, better to get the original with additional benefits, e.g. the very long battery time. For approx. 700 the Vostro is the best OSX - bang for the buck yet. :)

I am not shure for a new WIFI card - to the hardware gurus here: this Iten shoud work I guess ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=260601300786

If you'll have read the thread so far you'll realise the main drawbacks are a lack of sleep and the fact that powermanagement doesn't work.

Having said that, the fan is not a noisey one (to my ears!) and the processors stay pretty cool on my 3500 [guess 3700 owners should tell you if that is noisey...]. Also, a 3700 is probably less likely to be used on the move, so if this is mainly a desktop replacement then you can probably live with a short battery life as it'll be used on the mains supply more often.

So if these compromises are okay for you then yes I'd sat it is a good buy. Mainly my 3500 stays at home while my Dell Mini 9 goes travelling and that is probably how it'll work out for you and your 3700/Mini 10.

There is no doubt that the 3700 provides good bang for buck.

Hope this helps you.

-_-

Thanks for your kind reply.

should be stupit but: with my mini 10v the only way to let the sleep work is to disable USB legacy in BIOS. I'm sure you'd already try it... don't you?

Anyway in osx wiki there's no notebook fully functional, so i think this could be the best choice..

I am not so sure, I would've gone with the 3300 or 3500 to day not the 3700.

To get the wifi to work you need another card, you can get one at eBay.

The fan isn't to noisy and the battery runs for around 90 minutes and the background lit keyboard is wounder full.

I have a old Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook and with a new wifi card everything works out of the box, speed step, sleep, background light everything.

But this is difficult to get it working 100% on those Vostro's it seem. But if you Can live with the missing stuff, it is a exelent hackingtosh, but to day l would've gone for the 3500.

//Mårten

thanks for the reply

i'll take care of your suggest and take a look on the 3500.

you were talking about the Lifebook. Does other new product from Fujitsu fullfill the hackintosh requirements?

I don´ t know if there is any i5 / i7 Notebooks out there running OSX perfectly, expect for a original MB Pro .. :thumbsup_anim:

As told, its a very good desktop replacement yet, biggest drawback is missing sleep. A big point of course is the very good price, I paied 700 EUR incl. VAT and shipping for my Vostro 3700 i5, thats MUCH cheaper (>> 1000 EUR) then a Original MBP 17''. Its pretty fast, I can do 3D-, Sound- (Logic) and Software development on it. Most important for me is that the graphic is fully supported, most of the other Notebooks use some ATI chips and its not easy to get them running with QE and OpenGL.

Maybe there is some higher end laptops out there for far more then 1000 EUR with better OSX compatibility, but when I invest this It makes no sense to do a hack, better to get the original with additional benefits, e.g. the very long battery time. For approx. 700 the Vostro is the best OSX - bang for the buck yet. :)

I am not shure for a new WIFI card - to the hardware gurus here: this Iten shoud work I guess ?

thanx for the reply

i agree with u, no more of 700e should be payed for an hackintosh, with 1000e i'll surely buy an used Pro.

I had a wonderfule experience with the mini dell 10v that i'm using in this very moment, is fully compatible OOB and with USB legacy disabled sleep/wake is perfect. That's why i'm taking a look around to find a hackable notebook :)

have you other suggestions?

I went for this one, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BroadCom-BCM94322HM8...=item3cad155342

I used to run Fujitsu-Siemens laptops at work, but now it's mostly Dell laptops. So I don't know if Fujitsu has a new laptop that would make a perfect hackintosh.

I'm happy with the Vostro as it is, and I think if you look around the forums that all "new" laptops built on core i3/5/7 and geforce GT310/330M have different problems, but they are all PC laptops made for Windows.

Hopefully some of the problems will be solved with a new version of Chameleon that can detect this new hardware.

I will try to ask "our" Dell support guy if there is some hidden options in the Bios on the Vostro's, I know that he used a Windows tool to get to a "full" bios with more settings, he was very careful not to show to much, think it was on one Latitude. This tool was not the same as the one that let's you reset the service tag/serial in bios.

//Mårten

Hmm .. seems to be the card I already have, but it doesnt work. Tried again the bcm43xx_enabler.sh script and also taping PIN 20. The system Profiler shows airport but I dont get any Icons, pref pane or connection.

I checked and I have place for a full size card, so I will try the apple card. Report soon!

Hopefully there will be a install package sometimes to do a better reinstall, I have some random KPs something is going wrong..

Having said that, the fan is not a noisey one (to my ears!) and the processors stay pretty cool on my 3500 [guess 3700 owners should tell you if that is noisey...]. Also, a 3700 is probably less likely to be used on the move, so if this is mainly a desktop replacement then you can probably live with a short battery life as it'll be used on the mains supply more often.

the fan is very quiet. it also doesn't spin up unless the system is under a lot of stress, for example i got it to spin up by encoding a video while playing portal for mac - i did that just to test it, because i had never heard it spin up, and i was worried that fan control was busted with OSX and i didnt want it to get fried, some older i8k dells had those sort of issues, but it is in fact working just fine.

the clock runs a little slow without HPET (i'm assuming that's the issue, anyway) so i lose about a minute a day.

Maybe there is some higher end laptops out there for far more then 1000 EUR with better OSX compatibility, but when I invest this It makes no sense to do a hack, better to get the original with additional benefits, e.g. the very long battery time. For approx. 700 the Vostro is the best OSX - bang for the buck yet. ;)

yeah man by far, mine was 800 bucks, compared to 2000 for the 17" MBP. i don't really care about sleep since it rarely leaves my desk. it's been very stable for me beyond that.

Yep - tried that of course (same for my Mini 9!). Problem is the Vostro Bios is so limited that the only way to disable legacy USB is to actually disable all USB!!! Not very useful really......

well, it could be used to hone in on the issue at least. i suspect a busted USB controller or port is preventing the system from getting past the final stages of suspension, since usb-related sleep functions accounts for many calls in the DSDT prior to sleep.

I don´ t know if there is any i5 / i7 Notebooks out there running OSX perfectly, expect for a original MB Pro .. :wacko:

thanx for the reply

i agree with u, no more of 700e should be payed for an hackintosh, with 1000e i'll surely buy an used Pro.

I had a wonderfule experience with the mini dell 10v that i'm using in this very moment, is fully compatible OOB and with USB legacy disabled sleep/wake is perfect. That's why i'm taking a look around to find a hackable notebook :)

have you other suggestions?

well, it could be used to hone in on the issue at least. i suspect a busted USB controller or port is preventing the system from getting past the final stages of suspension, since usb-related sleep functions accounts for many calls in the DSDT prior to sleep.

sometimes i've read about modded bios.... i've tryed myself with my asus p5q and is working fine, maybe some bios guru could make the magic...

i shot a bug report to superhai who does voodoopower to see if he can patch it up for core i3/5/7 support, says he'll work on it.

would love to know the status of HPET support, minihack probably knows.

i'd also like to do some USB diagnosis at some point to see if that's whats holding the suspend back... car trouble has kept me busy but i read through the ACPI specs enough that i can at least look into some simple, original fixes, since existing fixes aren't really working out here.

sometimes i've read about modded bios.... i've tryed myself with my asus p5q and is working fine, maybe some bios guru could make the magic...

proper workarounds with the DSDT would be a far less intrusive way to gain full hackintosh support. i don't know of any hackintosh bios mods out in the wild for laptops anyway. its one thing to potentially brick a 50 dollar motherboard, probably another to brick an 800 dollar laptop.

Varied success trying to get sleep with "sleepenabler.kext". The kext gives some really odd results for me. It will sort of work in that when I select sleep from the apple menu or from the power button, the screen will go dark, fans go off and the power light pulse (as if it is sleeping). However, neither a USB mouse, nor the keyboard or the trackpad will wake it. If you press the power button briefly while in this kind of sleep, it then seems to go into a different state (hibernation?) where the power light no longer pulses, but the touch sensitive switches have a light that "races" from left to right every five seconds or so. You then need to do a hard restart with the power switch - at that point, it reboots, but as it reboots it looks like it is waking from hibernation - so a fast reboot. If only we could edit the DSDT to make the system go from the apparent "sleep" to come awake instead of it going to hibernate then I would be very happy. EDIT: Just checked again, not sure if it was bios upgrade, but the behaviour for me with sleepenabler.kext is now: power button sleep, then press power button again and it goes to hibernate (?), press power button again, and it reboots and recovers from the stored sleepimage. I feel this is really close, but not sure where to go from here now to get the next step.....

its preety clear to me that _PTS is broken and some parts of the HM57 chipset are not implemented correctly if at all, i adapted a fix for another board, which itself was based on the specs for a different intel chipset, within SBRG and _PTS, which adds an operation region that flips a bit related to action after power failure, and shutdown works thereafter as opposed to doing the same stalling {censored} like S3, however i could not adapt the exact fix over to the suspend code.

i did rule out power management issues with the USB, and i tried all of your earlier dsdt fixes independently and together, no dice. to be honest i don't think it's due to a rogue device. just to make sure i tried fixing the USB entries for full appleusbehci compatibility, and i tried nuking usb from the dsdt entirely, plus i tried disabling a million other services. but - i suspect none of that matters, since i'm preety sure the system is well past that stage (PTS method).

i'm running the first revision bios...so if any of your fixes are related to the bios, please let me know, otherwise its a massive pain to update and i'd rather avoid it.

the HM57 datasheet also contains some useful info relating to speedstep that you might want to check out.

this stuff is very much over my head though, i have no idea how close i am and exactly at what point i'll give up trying to fix this.

i'll post the experimental DSDT with the shutdown fix once i distill it down to specific changes, which i would recommend since my DSDT differs from yours at the factory apparently.

Hi guys,

Been lurking around here and i finally got the second USB hub/tree responsible for the webcam and external USB ports to work by nuking AppleHPET.kext

So far the only things not working on my Vostro 3400 are the webcam (macam doesn't support it and the project seems dead..), the DigitalPersona fingerprint reader (there are OS X kexts and official software available for the device although some plist/kext editing is in order since the device ids are slightly different and it won't recognize it) and the obvious ones that i've seen mentioned here as well : wifi (card swap neded), sleep, speedstep.. etc.

If any of you have a copy of the kexts that piyokos posted earlyer in the thread, can you reupload them somewhere as the original links are down..

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Adi

Hi Adi,

Just a quick question about your webcam. Does it not work at all? If you look in system profiler, does it show up?

For instance, take a look at the attached zipped screenshot. Interested to know what you have:

I.e. is the webcam there, are you "missing" a USB hub, is the webcam in yours different to the webcam in mine [which works out of the box and has done from day one].....

Also, what have you got in your plist - do you have:

UHCIreset, EHCIacquire, usbBUSfix in there all set to "yes"?? To be honest I haven't experimented to see if these make any difference as they have been that way in my boot plist since day one and iI never changed them, but trying those things might throw some light on your issues......

Hi MiniHack,

My system profiler info looks exactly the same as yours with the only difference being that my Manufacturer field is slightly different : CKF9237G114030000l20

I'm still booting using the stock [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] - Supported DVD as i haven't had the courage to play with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again since that usually renders the USB completly dead.. in other words i haven't made any changes to the stock vanilla install besides :

- killing AppleHPET.kext to give me the second USB hub responsible for webcam and external USB ports

- installing the bluetooth driver package to make BT work

- installing the VoodooBattery.kext in order to make the battery info display properly

Everything else is still stock.. I want to make a partition clone before i start experimenting with it again.

So, i can see the camera in System Profiler just like you can but i can't use it. Photobooth just opens up with a black screen and doesn't show me anything and the camera light never comes on. No idea how to fix it..

Adi

okay - good idea to make a clone before you start playing! I guess it may be that the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disk doesn't load any DSDT, so you can't do any mod.s.

What would help maybe would be if you could just extract your DSDT and post it on this thread. Then we can look at what mod.s you could put in that'll make your parts function properly.

Easiest way for you to grab your DSDT would be to download DSDTse and then just click "extract DSDT", save the DSL and upload it.

It'd be great if we could actually have copies of DSDTs from all the models posted on to here:3300 through 3700 and compare them to come up with some useful hacks for each one. We could also this way make up some good BootCDs with the most basic mod.s included to help other people in the future have an easier install experience!

If anyone wants to post their own unmodified DSDTs I'd be happy to have a look and see if we can make some install tools....just a thought.

You ask and you shall receive :(

Attached is virgin DSDT from my Vostro 3400 with A05 BIOS installed.

Adi

V3400_A05_virgin_dsdt.dsl.zip

okay - good idea to make a clone before you start playing! I guess it may be that the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disk doesn't load any DSDT, so you can't do any mod.s.

What would help maybe would be if you could just extract your DSDT and post it on this thread. Then we can look at what mod.s you could put in that'll make your parts function properly.

Easiest way for you to grab your DSDT would be to download DSDTse and then just click "extract DSDT", save the DSL and upload it.

It'd be great if we could actually have copies of DSDTs from all the models posted on to here:3300 through 3700 and compare them to come up with some useful hacks for each one. We could also this way make up some good BootCDs with the most basic mod.s included to help other people in the future have an easier install experience!

If anyone wants to post their own unmodified DSDTs I'd be happy to have a look and see if we can make some install tools....just a thought.

As suggested here is DSDT from Vostro 3700 A05 bios, booted on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-cd

//Mårten

Vostro3700_A05bios_dsdt.zip

As you can see it's not so easy...

My best config with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method is the following.

Once started with -x -v -f and OS X installed on the hard disk, apply [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with theses options :

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Unsupported, USB V9.9.9, voodoo PS/2..., Kernel 10.3.1 et OS86 software.

The system reboots on HD, no USB, ans the network is lost :-(

FireWire is detected but no way to make it work and connect to any network... Grrr

I'm getting crazy with this DELL VOSTRO

I've tried the DSDT method but no reboot so I had to restore the first install from the Installation DVD.

If someone can help...

I think Priority is to find out how to make USB Ports working (or the network). Without USB ports, it's mandatory to use the DVD, and it's very long to write on a DVD-RW programs you need...

(excuse my "french" English...)

I have the same state alse lose my touchpad,but your network can use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] kext->netowrk->reltek1000SL,then it's works.

Thanks for all the help guys !

I haven't had a chance to burn the new boot cds as i'm out of CDs/DVDs :o

In the meantime, i managed to swap out the Dell Broadcom 1520 wifi n card with a Dell wifi 1505 n card from an XPS 1330 but i can't get it to turn on.

The card gets detected as an AirportCard and shows up in the top bar but when i try to turn it on, nothing happens and it just stays off. No error message on the screen or on the console. The wifi switch is ON so i have no idea what's wrong.

I'm kinda bummed as everywhere i've seen the Dell wifi 1505 is one of the most compatible wifi cards for os x..

Any clues ?

Adi

Thanks for all the help guys !

I haven't had a chance to burn the new boot cds as i'm out of CDs/DVDs :o

In the meantime, i managed to swap out the Dell Broadcom 1520 wifi n card with a Dell wifi 1505 n card from an XPS 1330 but i can't get it to turn on.

The card gets detected as an AirportCard and shows up in the top bar but when i try to turn it on, nothing happens and it just stays off. No error message on the screen or on the console. The wifi switch is ON so i have no idea what's wrong.

I'm kinda bummed as everywhere i've seen the Dell wifi 1505 is one of the most compatible wifi cards for os x..

Any clues ?

Adi

I'm an idiot. It turns out the second mini PCI slot where in installed the full height 1505 card was disabled in the BIOS.

I enabled it works perfectly.

Now,time to get some blanc cds.. :(

Adi

Okay, that's interesting, only a few differences in memory addressing parts but otherwise the 3400 dsdt is exactly the same as the 3500.

I have put the fixes I have in my current DSDT into yours so in the 3400 zip folder there is a DSDT.aml you can use.

Also uploaded is my Extra folder with the modded 3400 dsdt in it if you want to try that combination. Finally in a second attachment are the extensions I have put into system/library/extensions to give the functionality I have. You may have some of those in already. If you are happy with how your trackpad works then don't use my ApplePS2controller.kext or the AppleACPIPS2.kext.

Hope all this helps and should when used with an otherwise vanilla install of 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 working from a bootloader (instead of the CD) give you a bit more functionality and you shouldn't need to delete the HPET kext.

When I get time I'll see about making a custom bootcd iso for the 3400.

Hi MiniHack,

I've been playing with the files you sent me but whatever i do, when i boot with the chamelopn bootloader installed with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the custom DSDT you gave me, the USB ports and the keybaord and trackpad are dead..

i know something is messed up but i can't figure it out :s

I'll try the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-cd version next..

Thanks again,

Adi

proper voodoohda, includes fixes to solve the volume control issue:

http://joi.kz/VoodooHDA_with_volume_contro...o_3700.kext.zip

these are the ps2/usb related kexts i have going that seem to be working, giving me full trackpad support and stable usb (remember to enable the trackpad prefpane too):

http://joi.kz/IOUSBFamily_vostro_3700.kext.zip

http://joi.kz/AppleACPIPS2Nub_vostro_3700.kext.zip

http://joi.kz/VoodooPS2Controller_vostro_3700.kext.zip

battery monitoring support:

http://joi.kz/VoodooBattery.pkg.zip

macam for webcam support:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

make sure you delete any existing kexts that would interfere with these before overwriting with new ones. remove applehpet and applehda from s/l/e/ to avoid any conflicts. remember to run pfix after making any changes. get pfix here:

http://joi.kz/pfix3.0.mpkg.zip

then run in terminal with

pfix

remember, if it doesnt boot the first time, try again, then try with -f -v, sometimes it takes a couple shots for some reason

if you need support for the VOSTRO 3700 only, i repeat, ONLY ISSUES REGARDING THE VOSTRO 3700, you can contact me on AIM, screenname "animedads"

cheers

joi.kz is crash? I can not download the files from the site.

Will try it later tonight, is going to be fun. Need to get a life, I guess.

Bring out the cd/rw and burn, will get a life another time.

I do have a empty partition to try on.

//Mårten