Mother of all motherboards

18 posts in this topic

now tell me this would not be perfect for a hackintosh system :D

The EVGA SR-2, the absolute ultimate for the extreme user. It takes everything that made the X58 Classified 4-way SLI motherboard great and doubled it up. Now you can experience the ultimate in overclocked multithreaded performance by way of Dual 1366 sockets which allow for hyper-threaded Intel Xeon CPU’s to be combined together for massive amounts of workload to be spread across a multitude of processing threads.

When combined with compatible Intel 6 Core CPU’s, you create a massive system capable of up to 24 CPU threads of compute power. If you want future-proof, this is it!

We have literally created a new form factor to fit all the amazing things on one board. Whether you are an extreme gamer, overclocker, power user, workstation user, server admin, folder/cruncher, or just a PC enthusiast; this is the ultimate motherboard. This board will encode your movies, render your images, or even load your games faster than you ever thought possible.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

All i can say is wow about time for a dual socket motherboard

OK does anyone have a price for this? I see Suggested MSRP of 599 (yikes) or where it can be picked up - although - in theory it should work for hackintosh - but any ideas to how well?

now tell me this would not be perfect for a hackintosh system :(

The EVGA SR-2, the absolute ultimate for the extreme user. It takes everything that made the X58 Classified 4-way SLI motherboard great and doubled it up. Now you can experience the ultimate in overclocked multithreaded performance by way of Dual 1366 sockets which allow for hyper-threaded Intel Xeon CPU’s to be combined together for massive amounts of workload to be spread across a multitude of processing threads.

When combined with compatible Intel 6 Core CPU’s, you create a massive system capable of up to 24 CPU threads of compute power. If you want future-proof, this is it!

We have literally created a new form factor to fit all the amazing things on one board. Whether you are an extreme gamer, overclocker, power user, workstation user, server admin, folder/cruncher, or just a PC enthusiast; this is the ultimate motherboard. This board will encode your movies, render your images, or even load your games faster than you ever thought possible.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

All i can say is wow about time for a dual socket motherboard

I could almost build 2 gigabyte hacks and cluster them for the price of the mobo alone. I do like the dual CPU option but I'd like to see it in a more affordable package. At least do it with 1156 sockets to start....

I could almost build 2 gigabyte hacks and cluster them for the price of the mobo alone. I do like the dual CPU option but I'd like to see it in a more affordable package. At least do it with 1156 sockets to start....

Not going to see that one - probably ever. Intel learned their "lesson" with this one back in the P3/Celeron 366 days. The CPUs are 'crippled' (not just Intel, AMD does this too) so that the consumer versions (Core iX) CPUs will not function in dual socket implementations.

As far as I know there aren't any Xeons based on the 1156 socket - so you'll never see a MB with two 1156 sockets (although I haven't checked... maybe there are some Xeons using in - but I doubt that). It's the same thing as it was with the previous sockets.

Also when you think about the cost of even Core i7 CPUs (if they were allowed to work in pairs) $600 isn't really all that much for a board with this feature set. A really high-end single socket gaming board will set you back between $250 and $300. This board is basically two of those (hardware wise). Not to mention that the market base is smaller so the margins per board must be higher since the scale-economies are lower.

The more applicable question is: if this board, and two quad-core XEONS, 8GB RAM, etc... will set you back only $2-3K... is the MacPro alu case really worth over $1K by itself?!?! :rolleyes:

i was at a conference where they were advertising these dual socket solution but even in server terns they dont work well together and osx86 i think would kp, also the power usage is unreal considering. if you wan to se a silly big number work out the cost required to max it out 24x2gb DDR3 2200mhz 9x GTX 480 2x 6 cores .....

now tell me this would not be perfect for a hackintosh system :ninja:

I can't wait to do some word processing on it. My typing will be faster than ever before!

Tom L

• 3 weeks later...