Snow on Asus P5B Deluxe.

41 posts in this topic

Beerkex'd.

I understand very well and if you took the time to look at my stats you would see that I have been a member for a number of years, which makes me by no means a noob!!!!!! Furthermore, if you looked at my signature you would have seen that I have several fully functioning installs.

If you think I dont know how to post or follow forums, you are mistaken. I find your comments to be quite rude. Of course I delete the kext every time I attempt to update my clone install.

So if you have any real advice besides your sarcasm and negativity I would gladly like to hear it.

Thank you for your reply and I hope someone else on this topic will be more helpful than you.

Plucka

You can clearly see in the screenshot that it's sleepenabler.kext that's causing the panic.

You may have deleted it but it's clearly still loading from somewhere.

I said what I said because I care about this place and I don't like seeing it going to hell. Nothing I said was sarcastic or negative.

Stats don't mean anything. You've got to walk like you talk.

Thank you drule,

I delete the kext from the extra folder, it isn't in the system/library/extensions folder. How can I make sure that Extensions.mkext files are regenerated? I must say I am trying this on my test partition so as to always have a working install.

Appreciate your help and advice, cheers mate, Plucka

Boot into single user mode with the "-s" parameter.

Mount the volume that your installation resides on (you'll see the two commands, you have to enter, right above your BASH prompt).

Then to set the proper permissions on your kexts, do the following (if you have never done this on your S/L/E folder, you should probably do it as well).

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/INSERT_THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_VOLUME_HERE/Extra
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/INSERT_THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_VOLUME_HERE/Extra

Then after the permissions have been repaired, do the following to create your up-to-date kext file. Again, if you have never done this to create you System/Library/Caches....Startup/Extensions.mkext file, do it now.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/INSERT_THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_VOLUME_HERE/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/INSERT_THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_VOLUME_HERE/Extra/Extensions

Hey drule, thank you ever so much for your help. I do as you instruct and unfortunately I get an illegal error when I try to run the commands in -s parameter mode it shows up as --r illegal command. It does let me mount the volume and it checks everything and says it is OK, I then try to do the sudo chmod command an that is where it gives me the error? Do you have any idea why this is?

I am sure I have followed your instructions to the letter, once again thank you for your time and patience I hope you are having a great day and hope to hear from you soon, cheers mate, Plucka

The "-s" is the option that tells Chameleon to boot into single user mode, it is only needed once and should not be used with any other commands.

Just to make sure, these are the steps you are taking to get into single user mode:

1. Boot your system

2. When Chameleon has loaded, press any key to get the options prompt

3. At the option prompt enter "-s" and hit return

4. Once you see the single user mode command line prompt, type "fsck -yf" to do some quick tests on your disk, then "mount -uw /" to mount it

You should now be able to enter the commands to repair all the permissions and rebuild your mkext files. Don't forget that the "sudo kextcache ...." is all on one line. And remember to replace the "INSERT_THE_NAME_OF_YOUR_VOLUME" with the actual name of your volume :unsure:

Also make sure to use a capital "R" with the "chmod" and "chown" commands.

Other than that, I can't think of why it isn't working.

Hey drule, thanks again for your advice and help, please take a look at this pic, as I cant seem to get past this step, I am typing it in as you have set out with my correct volume name etc sorry for being a nuisance hopefully you can see something that I cant?

Any way thank you once again and have a ripper day mate, cheers, Plucka

post-91840-1274858980_thumb.jpg

Because you used a space in the directory name (Snow 2), you'll have to enclose the whole line in quotation marks:

"/Volumes/Snow 2/Extra"

Otherwise it looks like you're heading in the right direction.

Hey drule, thanks very much for your answer, got a bit further this time, but now to fit that whole line of code in, well it goes so far and then starts overwriting the beginning of the code line, please see pic. If I try to split it up in several lines that doesnt work either, I get a table of contents and possible usages? It fixed some things with the first 2 lines of code, except for open halt restart and a couple of other kexts in the extra folder. But after that well yo can see it on the photo, sighs, I hope you are doing well and thanks again mate, cheers Plucka

post-91840-1274911834_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, I did it with your help, thank you ever so much drule, I did just boot into the system whilst still in -s mode and did it in the terminal, and hey presto it works!!!! :D Even my webcam is working again in ichat and photobooth!!!! did all the updates that were left java and security and still no worries. Its so nice to be able check for updates and there arent any!!! Thank you very much drule and well the mouse thing I did see special drivers for mice to speed them up its called STEERMOUSE let me know if you can use it I would only be too happy to send it to you.

Cheers mate from a working 10.6.3 update thanks to you. Plucka :)

post-91840-1274915217_thumb.png

Congrats. The SteerMouse app is mainly to compensate for the Mac's already slow mouse, I've definitely got a driver problem as mine is slow sometimes, normal other times, speedy every once in a while, but usually turns into molasses every hour or less..

• 5 months later...

This thread is a prime example of why threadjacking is a Bad Thing.

If you already know "how to post or follow forums" and have been a member since 2007 then doing it is even worse.

If you think I dont know how to post or follow forums, you are mistaken. I find your comments to be quite rude (...)

So if you have any real advice besides your sarcasm and negativity I would gladly like to hear it.

Thank you for your reply and I hope someone else on this topic will be more helpful than you.

wallbash.gif What an idiot!

What you're doing is rude.

Did you read it before you jacked it?

Go on, take a look at posts 3, 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21 and then tell me who's helpful.

And this looks like it was helpful too: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214655

Dude, this thread had some real meat in it, until you turned it into yet another redundant sleepenabler thread.

Firstly I dont appreciate being called an idiot by you or anybody else here. Secondly it was not my intention to hijack anything, no one is perfect not even you. If I offended anybody by asking for advice in this topic then I apologize to them for any inconvenience caused.

I am quite happy with insanelymac and have stuck with them, mainly because I have learnt a lot here and most everyone I have encountered has been very helpful. I have even helped some people as well, so once again sorry to anyone that was offended by my question here, I do hope that the advice I got from Drule helped some other members as well!!

Cheers, Plucka