Making Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo Universal Binary and full

Don Luca

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I bought some months ago Unreal Tournament 2004 for Windows and now I'm very disappointed to see that the UT2004 Demo for OSX is PPC only and runs hell slow...

However, I discovered a way to make it UniBin and full:

Download the Demo and the last patch which contains the universal binaries...

Extract with Pacifist all the patch content in the Unreal Tournament Demo Package (right click on UT2004 Demo in Apps and click on Show Package Contents).

Now take the UT2004 CDs or DVD or via network, access your windows' version, and copy all the files in the UT2004 Demo package.

Now it's full game!

But now I have a problem...

when I start UT2004 it says that the CD Key is missing... I actually own the CD Key but I don't know where write it...

Can anyone that have the original full copy for Mac of UT2004 tell me where the CD Key is stored?

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone.

I bought some months ago Unreal Tournament 2004 for Windows and now I'm very disappointed to see that the UT2004 Demo for OSX is PPC only and runs hell slow...

However, I discovered a way to make it UniBin and full:

Download the Demo and the last patch which contains the universal binaries...

Extract with Pacifist all the patch content in the Unreal Tournament Demo Package (right click on UT2004 Demo in Apps and click on Show Package Contents).

Now take the UT2004 CDs or DVD or via network, access your windows' version, and copy all the files in the UT2004 Demo package.

Now it's full game!

But now I have a problem...

when I start UT2004 it says that the CD Key is missing... I actually own the CD Key but I don't know where write it...

Can anyone that have the original full copy for Mac of UT2004 tell me where the CD Key is stored?

Thanks!!!

The key is stored inside the system directory in a text file without extension.

Unreal Tournament 2004.app/System/cdkey

One line, capitals, with the - (dashes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I sent the PM for the links

I know, i just wanted to respect your privacy and anonimity :D

that's good news...

so this trick works also for Quake 4 and Doom3...

How about making a list of games that we can legally transform from Demo (PPC or UB) to Full and UB?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MacFans!!

I just installed a Mac OS X in my Intel P-IV based PC... and it works! I still have some issues, like USB ports and other, but I don't care, they will be solved later.

My post here is about UT2K4, a great game!

I do have the DVD of its Full version for PC.

If I make the steps written before what will I get? A full version for Mac? Or a DEMO running on Mac?

Thanks! :|

• 1 month later...

Sorry for making you wait so long, but I've been seriously busy lately.

Here is the step-by step procedure:

1. Download and Install the Demo (grab it at http://war-zone.sapo.pt/download.aspx?file...mo3334.dmg.bz2)

2. Download and Install the Patch (grab it at http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3...3369-2.dmg.bz2)

3. When you'll install the patch, it will tell you that it didn't find an installed version of UT2004. Force it, telling it where to install the patch (your UT2004 Demo Folder/package).

4. Create with a simple text editor a file named cdkey (with no extension) and put it in

and write inside it your CDKey. Save and Close.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE A UB DEMO, NOT THE COMPLETE GAME>>>)))

Now follow these steps to make UT2004 full:

1. Now you can choose between these:

1a. By LAN: Access over your network to your PC, where you have installed your PC version of UT2004. Inside UT2004 folder, grab every folder and copy them over your Mac Installation.

1b. From your UT2004 CDs/DVD: put in your cds/dvd and copy every directory over your Mac Installation.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE UT2004 FULL AND UB >>>)))

If it isn't still clear enough, then ask someone who is a native english speaker who succedeed in doing it to explain you... I did my best :)

Sorry for making you wait so long, but I've been seriously busy lately.

Here is the step-by step procedure:

1. Download and Install the Demo (grab it at http://war-zone.sapo.pt/download.aspx?file...mo3334.dmg.bz2)

2. Download and Install the Patch (grab it at http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3...3369-2.dmg.bz2)

3. When you'll install the patch, it will tell you that it didn't find an installed version of UT2004. Force it, telling it where to install the patch (your UT2004 Demo Folder/package).

4. Create with a simple text editor a file named cdkey (with no extension) and put it in

and write inside it your CDKey. Save and Close.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE A UB DEMO, NOT THE COMPLETE GAME>>>)))

Now follow these steps to make UT2004 full:

1. Now you can choose between these:

1a. By LAN: Access over your network to your PC, where you have installed your PC version of UT2004. Inside UT2004 folder, grab every folder and copy them over your Mac Installation.

1b. From your UT2004 CDs/DVD: put in your cds/dvd and copy every directory over your Mac Installation.

(((<<< NOW YOU HAVE UT2004 FULL AND UB >>>)))

If it isn't still clear enough, then ask someone who is a native english speaker who succedeed in doing it to explain you... I did my best :)

Don,Thanks for the detailed procedure.I am now able to run the game with ut-2004.bin file , however on line game does not work.It gives cd key error.It works in windows and Linux online.

Does anyone know where Red Orchestra for Mac can be found? All the links to the mod I've found are broken.

EDIT- Nevermind, Filefront has it. Game on! :(

EDIT again- Just a quick thought- the patch updates a few maps and other non-demo resources, so wouldn't it be better to copy over the full content *then* patch?

• 3 weeks later...

Found another easy method for getting full version.

-Get Parallels Desktop and install Windows 2000 or XP (you need the newest version!)

-Install Coherency tools

-Install UT2k4 on the Windows VM

-Install UT2k4 Demo under Mac OS as per Don Luca's instructions

-Drag and drop folder contents from the Windows install to the corresponding folders on the Mac OS install --DO NOT DRAG AND DROP WHOLE FOLDERS, IT WILL OVERWRITE THE ENTIRE FOLDER AND YOU MAY LOSE MAC-SPECIFIC DATA--

---Folders to copy over entierely (overwrite any old data)

-Animations

-Karma Data

-Maps

-Music

-Sounds

-Speech

-Static Meshes

-Textures

---Folders to copy over new data (do not overwrite old data)

-System

---Folders that can be left alone

-Benchmark (same scripts in demo and full)

-Contents (no Windows Equivalent)

-Force Feedback (Same for demo and full, might be Mac specific)

-Help (replacing with Help from PC install with give different manuals with PC-specific setup and troubleshooting)

-Web (No obvious reason to replace this folder)