Ubuntu 10.04 released

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts
I am not a big Ubuntu fan, on the contrary, but I find it a bit unfair that the latest Ubuntu release has gone unmentioned in this forum:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06030

http://www.ubuntu.co...desktop-edition

Kubuntu, Mythbuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Rescue Remix and Ubuntu Studio have also been released.

oldtopman

oldtopman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Has Lubuntu been updated?

Moose Tracks

Moose Tracks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
There's a secret hatred of Ubuntu that is so secret nobody even thinks of mentioning it.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,346 posts

Has Lubuntu been updated?

I believe the final test release is available:

http://lubuntu.net/

Edit: released!

There's a secret hatred of Ubuntu that is so secret nobody even thinks of mentioning it.

Not so secret. Just google for "I hate Ubuntu"

It is not a secret either that I am not an Ubuntu fan. But I can understand that other people like it.
I am also very curious. I have just downloaded the latest Ubuntu 10.04 DVD.

I want to add that I am pleasantly surprised: this release is very polished.

oldtopman

oldtopman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

I want to add that I am pleasantly surprised: this release is very polished.

It seems that every time they make a speed improvement to Ubuntu they make a feature that slows it down. This means that it runs slightly faster with eash release. Since i use Xubuntu, which never gets any graphical updates, my computer just gets faster with each release.

charlie-b-210

charlie-b-210

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it got a little bit better than 9.10, but nothing i noticed without searching for it.... ;-)

i hope they make it faster sometime, ubuntu is ok, but kubuntu is just horrible at md netbook...

phoenix789

phoenix789

InsanelyGeek!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
You can access your iphone data (music and photos) without itunes and no jailbrake! Just Ubuntu 10.10! Quite cool isn't it?

-DeLuXe-

-DeLuXe-

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I downloaded it and freaking love it, it has support for everything on my laptop when no other distro could

bptba93

bptba93

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Just installed and have been running it for a few days. Very nice release I must say. The boot time is insane! Everything has worked silky smooth out of the box, which I can't usually say about distros.

Miguel Pinheiro

Miguel Pinheiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it looks like MacOSX, the left close, minimize and maximize buttons and the volume control program

oldtopman

oldtopman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Faster it may be, but I get random x server crashes.

Detosx

Detosx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
The default ATI driver wasn't great shakes so Installed the new ATI Catalyst driver, which was much worse - dragging windows around caused jagged lines as though slow screen redraw which also made watching movies barely tolerable. I am using an ATI 4770 in my desktop computer and if anyone has any hints or suggests, or suggests for alternative Linux distros that work well with that card, I would be happy to hear about it. I am told there are community drivers for ATI cards but I am nervous about trying anything in case I can't boot up to the desktop outside of safe mode and give up trying to get back to where I started and instead reinstall from scratch... as I did last week when Ubuntu crashed while installing updates and then couldn't boot to the desktop outside of safe mode.

10.04 crashed a lot for me. It was like using Windows 98 all over again. Usually I would be watching a Youtube and suddenly the sound would go into an endless 3 second loop that I couldn't break out of without a reboot. Also on iPlayer I would get repeated fragments, like a massively time delayed echo lasting about twenty seconds. Very annoying. Haven't experienced it in Mac

I like the look of 10.04, it is at least vaguely Mac-ish but without the same attention to detail in the GUI. If only I could find a fully functional driver for the 4770 I might stick with it for a while. I use OpenSUSE on my laptop. I tried to warm to Mint but don't like the way it looks, at all.

Detosx

Detosx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
Just to add. I have been having a few eccentricities with Ubuntu when using web browsers. Everything seems to work on the latest build of Opera but using Firefox and Chrome I can't get prices to show in order of cheapness on froogle - clicking 'more' in the list ordering does nothing - and Youtube often gives me problems when trying to expand to full screen or change from 360 to 720; clicking on the buttons either does nothing or takes a long time. Opera 10.6 seems to work with problems.

oldtopman

oldtopman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
It ruined my sound, switching to Fedora (Is it that hard to use the same mixer between releases).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy