2 partitions, osx86 and xp

8 posts in this topic

hello, i have been trying to work out how to put osx on my old p4 for a while now and am so close!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!

ok.... i booted with xp and made 2 partitions, then i installed xp onto the first.

i booted the osx86 dvd, 'erased' the second partition with disk manager and installed osx on the second partition.

it works fine....BUT ONLY WITH THE DVD IN THE DRIVE!! if i take the dvd out the darwin bootloader thing does not appear at all and i get 'insert system disk' or something like that.

if i boot up with the osx86 dvd IN THE DRIVE and dont touch it, just let it boot.....it goes into osx and works perfectly! i am writing this on safari as we speak! :D

anyway, if i select windows as a startup disk in osx it boots up no probs.... just cant get any sort of boot loader going to choose one or the other :) i tried the chain0 thing and that did not work. i also tried acronis bootloader and it thought the osx partition was some sort of demon and shat its pants.

i would really appreciate some help on this, i just want a boot loader that works!!

doug.

ps. i know f*#$ all about code, linux, grub etc.... please keep it simple! for my sanity :)

Well what you need to to make Windows bootable and then try the chain0 method. I would put the Windows XP disc in, get into the installer and then get to the first menu and when it ask to Repair, hit R. Log into your windows partition and then when you are at the prompt (most likely C:\WINDOWS) type in fixmbr and hit enter. Type y and then hit enter. That made the windows partition bootable. Type exit and take out your disc. Now your windows partition is bootable. Next is to do this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0

just copy chain0 from your dvd to your mac partition using linux ubuntu live cd or anything who can view fat32 files on the dvd. ater putting the chain0, u'll boot directly to darwin x86 loader...

i also has this problem before ;)

i just want a boot loader that works!!
The only one that is "fully" OSX compatible and currently works properly for OSX 10.4.5 and up is SPFdisk. You would just need to know how to create the floppy/CD with SPFdisk on it and boot it. See this thread: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...&hl=spfdisk

Remember to choose option 2 to write to MBR (read thread; there isn't much documentation, but it is free and opensource).

i fixed it!! i did NOT need chain0, or a live cd or anything!!!

i just accidentally had osx86 on a logical partition!!! so i booted into windows, changed the 2nd partition to primary with disk management, then re-installed osx86.

upon restart, darwin bootloader appeared and i could choose windows or mac, no hacking required whatsoever!! so thanks everyone for your help, i hope this topic was usefull.

doug.

ps, my only problem now is that i am still using the developer edition of osx86 and it is quite limited. i tried the commercial version but it did not even boot up, someone said it was to do with me sata harddrives running off a promise pci card. i could not be bothered unplugging them, then re-plugging them for windows so i am sticking with this for now....