MacBook - CounterStrike Source

munky

25 posts in this topic

hey there,

considering a MacBook. i've seen a video of half life 2 running k-sweet on a macbook, and was wondering if anyone's tried CS : Source. playable? fps? online play ok?

FYI: here is HL2 on a macbook:

and here is CoD2 on macbook:

B)

dont order one if you plan on playing CS source. I have a black macbook with 2GB ram and CS source runs like {censored} in bootcamp. 6-12fps. Horrible. I dont know if its drivers or what, because if I load "test" levels and run the video test it runs fine.

pogi: thats what i'd heard. very odd. have you tried the new boot camp, which was released a couple days ago? i heard it has updated drivers... i'd really appreciate if you could give it a try and report back about CS:S

pogi: thats what i'd heard. very odd. have you tried the new boot camp, which was released a couple days ago? i heard it has updated drivers... i'd really appreciate if you could give it a try and report back about CS:S

ooh.. new drivers... what sucks is i just deleted my bootcamp partition.. oh well.. time to install windows.... again.. will get back to ya asap!

:blink:

.. its been installing cs: source pretty much all day.. only 26% and i'm downloading at 100+ KB/s...

Anyway, just for a heads up I noticed that the driver date that the new bootcamp installed is 2/24/2006, so don't get your hopes up.

:(

Oh.. also.. the driver version is 6.14.10.4512. On the intel website there is a download for version 6.14.10.4543. If this bootcamp doesnt work, I will try that driver next.

Even with my Intel laptop (for windows) running windows XP, it runs like {censored}, coz the integrated graphics sucks (same thing for other new 3D games, like Need for Speed: Most Wanted).

If you'd like mobile gaming, hunt for those models with seperated display graphics controllers (e.g. macbook pro)

but as pogi said, HL2 runs fine, and its the same engine, so you'd expect it to be at least reasonably close to HL2 performance.

I also heard that certain maps (third-party ones mostly) work fine, giving HL2-style performance. bizarre!

munky, i think i may know why. third party maps usuallly dont have all of the high dynamic lighting that is in office and dust. i play a lot of surf maps, and i et better performance on those because of the HDR not being used. pogi, are you sure AA and HDR lighting is off?

munky, i think i may know why. third party maps usuallly dont have all of the high dynamic lighting that is in office and dust. i play a lot of surf maps, and i et better performance on those because of the HDR not being used. pogi, are you sure AA and HDR lighting is off?

I turned off everything in the video settings / advanced tab in the options screen. Is there some other special console command to do extra stuff? I also had to load counterstrike in directx7 mode because dx9 produced a black screen.

• 2 weeks later...
dont order one if you plan on playing CS source. I have a black macbook with 2GB ram and CS source runs like {censored} in bootcamp. 6-12fps. Horrible. I dont know if its drivers or what, because if I load "test" levels and run the video test it runs fine.

I have a 20" iMac Core Duo with 2GB RAM and Counter Stike Source runs great.

Tweak settings and it plays really good. And I DONT mean set everything to minimum. In fact settings are pretty high. 55-80 fps. I do have the 256MB Video card though.

I have a 20" iMac Core Duo with 2GB RAM and Counter Stike Source runs great.

Tweak settings and it plays really good. And I DONT mean set everything to minimum. In fact settings are pretty high. 55-80 fps. I do have the 256MB Video card though.

They are talking about running counter-strike source on a macbook, wich has onboard graphics and is very limited to several games. They just wanted to know if it runs. Compared to a iMac, wich has a pretty good videocard. That is able to run most of the games, no wonder then :(

i have macbook pro that runs battle field 2

... AMAZINGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and its a laptop. who would have thought. Bootcamp, Windows, and bf2.

i love cs, steam runs fine, cs great, but i havent got around to doing cs source.

just... everyone... rtfm

read the friggin manual..

when doing the boot camp stuff... its an exact science. - what ive learned