Hard Drive Clicking noise

22 posts in this topic

Unfortunately it's going bad... The thing with "clicking" is that disk might work for years from now and it might die soon. Check if it's getting hotter, if so copy all data and replace the hard drive.

If the hard drive is too hot put it in a few plastic bag's and freeze it, yes... freeze it. Just make sure that there is no water near ; )

Cheers,

an1r0n

My internal HD makes a clicking noise when it is spinning, what should i do?

All the time or sometimes?

whenever the hard disk starts loading something and spins up

i have a smart reporter app and it shows nothing is wrong but disk utility says its partially corrupt

ive got time machine backups so hopefully can get a new hard disk

Take the drive out and wait for it to cool down, then put it in a sealed plastic bag and stick it in the freezer (see link below) for at least an hour, then try again. If the clicking stops then it's a mechanical defect.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

But try this first:

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...ve-clunk-noises

i have ordered a new hard drive. :unsure:

i dont have time to take out my hard drive as i am a student

and i am using it all day and run things through the night i only turn my hard drive

off every few days. I dont mind getting the new hard drive as it is not to expensive

and is better than my current one

ill see if this helps

i have ordered a new hard drive. ;)

i dont have time to take out my hard drive as i am a student

and i am using it all day and run things through the night i only turn my hard drive

off every few days. I dont mind getting the new hard drive as it is not to expensive

and is better than my current one

ill see if this helps

Take the drive out and wait for it to cool down, then put it in a sealed plastic bag and stick it in the freezer (see link below) for at least an hour, then try again. If the clicking stops then it's a mechanical defect.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/f...cover-data.html

But try this first:

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...ve-clunk-noises

Hi monogrim7

I do agree with Beerkex'd. it can be a mechanical failure. I had a drive that was up to such antics.

And in the end, it failed and I had to lose 320 GB of data. The clicking though, isn't a failure if it happens during boot up, if your computer is Over Clocked, like way beyond capacity. I had, then found a resistor-level mod that prevented that. But it any drive might make a clicking noise in case, your PC had crashed or whatever happened that lead to an improper shutdown. This clicking is the drive head just re-aligning to the inner parking area.

But, if it keeps happening intermittently, all the time, dude, just back up all your data and immediately give it for replacement. The sooner, the Better.

Hope you get it done soon, and report your findings. I understand you are a student, but just take few hours on a day and try plugging it in a friend's PC and report your observation.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Hi monogrim7

I do agree with Beerkex'd. it can be a mechanical failure. I had a drive that was up to such antics.

And in the end, it failed and I had to lose 320 GB of data. The clicking though, isn't a failure if it happens during boot up, if your computer is Over Clocked, like way beyond capacity. I had, then found a resistor-level mod that prevented that. But it any drive might make a clicking noise in case, your PC had crashed or whatever happened that lead to an improper shutdown. This clicking is the drive head just re-aligning to the inner parking area.

But, if it keeps happening intermittently, all the time, dude, just back up all your data and immediately give it for replacement. The sooner, the Better.

Hope you get it done soon, and report your findings. I understand you are a student, but just take few hours on a day and try plugging it in a friend's PC and report your observation.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Thanks, I have ordered a new Hard Disk, but a major problem for me is that my external Hard Disk Failed as well a few days ago, so I am having to Replace that in order to back up my data, which is really annoying.

Considering my Laptop is a Macbook Pro it is quite hard to get the Hard Disk out of it so i won't bother in putting it in someone else's Laptop.

I have already ordered the Hard Disk anyway so i'm fine.

The new one is better than my current one so it's sort of a plus :wacko:

only problem i see is freezing and heat causes condensation.. bad advice.. i know this cause u was told this by DIY data recovery experts. freeze = last few days for that drive.

corrosion internally!

Congratulations. Love the smell of new hardware in the morning.

only problem i see is freezing and heat causes condensation.. bad advice.. i know this cause u was told this by DIY data recovery experts. freeze = last few days for that drive.

corrosion internally!

Well yes. The freezing trick is something you do as a last resort to get your data off of the drive before you throw it away. It's not supposed to "fix" your broken hard drive.