[Guide] ASUS G73JH Snow Leopard Installation

vknyvz

61 posts in this topic

I have Asus G73JH, And I'm hoping to get the 5870 working.

I have ventured into changing the video cards but of course from everyone's answers, it sounds like no.

So I'm stuck with making the 5870 work or selling my JH for less then the cost and buying the JW(which the benchmarks don't seem to match up.). So hopefully someone can figure out the JH.

Also, has anyone notice a increase in temp when using Snow Leopard? Seems to run hot pretty quick.

I have Asus G73JH, And I'm hoping to get the 5870 working.

I have ventured into changing the video cards but of course from everyone's answers, it sounds like no.

So I'm stuck with making the 5870 work or selling my JH for less then the cost and buying the JW(which the benchmarks don't seem to match up.). So hopefully someone can figure out the JH.

Also, has anyone notice a increase in temp when using Snow Leopard? Seems to run hot pretty quick.

The Mobility 5870 will be used in the high-end Macbook Pro this year. This may be good news. :-)

The core i7 will also be in the new MBP.

It looks as though we might finally get somewhere with these.

On a note:I now have issues with my system not shutting down without holding the power button down in Windows 7. I've decided to hold off until I get an actual MBP this year.

The Mobility 5870 will be used in the high-end Macbook Pro this year. This may be good news. :-)

On a note:I now have issues with my system not shutting down without holding the power button down in Windows 7. I've decided to hold off until I get an actual MBP this year.

That is great news! Just curious to where you found that information and when they are planning on releasing these new MBP's.

Greetings,

I've managed to get my ar9285 working with a kext from kexts.com a month before 10.6.4 was released. The nice part is that the ar9285 is recognized in 10.6.3 as an Airport card (using 'WIFI_AR9285.zip, which I've attached. No need to reboot. Use Kext Utility to install. Open System Preferences, networks, and wait a sec, Airport will recognize it and look for a connection... my router is a DLink N router, and I downloaded WoW (17.4 GB) in less than two hours at 1.4 - 2.5 MB/s... I'm guessing that may be 'N' speeds, but not knowledgeable enough to give a qualified answer). If 10.6.4 is giving you any grief, replace the 'SleepEnabler.kext' with the old one (be sure to back that one up before moving to 10.6.4) and do a repair with Kext Utility.

I can verify that all components except the following are fully functional:

• Backlit keyboard
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
  • Chicony CNF7129 Camera. Photobooth detects it, but booth area is black before and after snapping pic.

From what I understand, unless a MBP gets the Mobility Radeon 5870, we may never get full support.

Anyone know if the graphics card inside these can be swapped for the JW nVidia version? If it has the same ASUS proprietary MXMII PCI-e port, I'd reckon it would work. Sadly, that may be the only way to get a 99% functional MBP clone.

Re: backlit keyboard: All newer MBP's have Backlit keyboards. If someone with the time wanted to dig, I'm certain that there is some kext or script somewhere in a MBP disc that adds that.

Anyone with a recent MBP SL install disc want to throw a kext our way? ;-)

Suggestion: If you can afford the disc space, create two partitions, 'SL' and a 'SLTEST'. Use 'SLTEST' for testing kexts and configs. It'll save you the hassle of losing the good stuff.

Has anyone else experienced issues with SleepEnabler=y message at startup? I can use Kext Utility each time to remove the error, but a permanent fix would be nicer.

You could theoretically upgrade from the ATI to the Nvidia but it's not likely to work, it'll be incompatible with the BIOS so you'll need to flash to JW BIOS and then some of the JH hardware may not work, it's not worth it.

And when is the new macbook pro supposed to come out?

Everything i was able to find about the new mac book pros suggest that they will be using the new Radeon HD 6000M series. (http://www.htlounge.net/art/14346/macbook-pro-and-imac-to-be-redesigned-in-early-2011.html)

Doesn't sound good for us if that's the case. I am assuming the 6000 series would be incompatible drivers for the mobility 5870. I guess the question is where did you hear that they were going to use the mobility 5870?

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone,

I installed the latest Hazard 10.6.6i release on my G73Jh for deplying an Italian guide and setting-it up as best as we can but I discovered some issues since first boot.

For the installation I used the switch following: cpus=1 busration=12

The whole installation procedure has been completed with no issue and as Options, I flagged:

• Legacy Kernel 10.6
  • ATY_Init_57xx_58xx_59xx
  • VoodooHDA_0.2.7.2
  • Intel_100_Pro_VE (Network Driver)
  • IOATAFamilyFIX
  • NTFS

But the system won't boot also in safe mode. I grabbed this picture for you:

wp000013s.jpg

The problem should be IOHIDSystem. I also tried the standard kernel with no success.

wp0000052.jpg

Thanks in advance,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hey, I CERTIFY that asus g73jh has everything working okay with snow leopard by hazard (boot flag cpus=1 busratio=20 maxmem=4096).in fact audio was working with install.important point is DON'T check any KERNEL or LAPTOP support or unsupported graphics kext during customization before install.just select mac os x 10.6.2 combo update and chameleon bootloader n u should boot.WELL NO LUCK ABOUT ATI MOBILITY HD 5870.but u'll get 1400x1050 by editing boot file.the day graphics for this laptop would be available,it will burn envy into real mac.

Hi I'm also having the same model and Distro.. how did you manage to boot using Chameleon (KP every time i tried to boot) and installed 8GB of RAMS mine is having CPU halted.. can you please help me ho to solved this problem.. Thanks in advance