[Guide] ASUS G73JH Snow Leopard Installation

vknyvz

61 posts in this topic

I've been following this post for months. I really hope this gets somewhere I sold my Macbook Pro for this laptop. Would really love to get this going. One question though I realize you cant raid the G73. Can we add a second HD to the other bay just for OSX?

Hmm, that might not be strictly true about RAID (I presume you mean RAID 0).

Win 7 supports SoftRAID under Disk Management (Striping, Mirroring) and with the performance of the i7, and the disk & SATA throughput, it should be a huge boost to speed.

I haven't messed about with SoftRAID for a few years but i remember having a good increase when i tested it.

To SoftRAID the whole system, including most of the OS, try searching for the (long winded) solution. IIRC, it was using Win NT4. I've not done it personally, though i did read up on it a long time ago.

Hi guys im a noob in this osx89 stuff

well basicly i need to have an ivrid machine capablew to run osx and windows because the sotwaresi need to use so im about to buy some version of the ASUS g73 JH maybe the x1 and basicly i need to know how to get the osx runing ..would be cool to have some news

here is my contact msn/skype/face/mail

juanocybe@hotmail.com

Im struggling to get this working on my G73JH-RBBX05. Ive pulled out my RAM to get under the 4096 maxmem. IDeneb was only able to be installed via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] using -x busratio=20 cpus=1. Installation was successful. When I go to restart through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I get a Kernel Panic for ACPI. See below:

2010-08-18_00-08-34_53.jpg

I'm dying to see the welcome screen, someone help please. :)

J

hey, I CERTIFY that asus g73jh has everything working okay with snow leopard by hazard (boot flag cpus=1 busratio=20 maxmem=4096).in fact audio was working with install.important point is DON'T check any KERNEL or LAPTOP support or unsupported graphics kext during customization before install.just select mac os x 10.6.2 combo update and chameleon bootloader n u should boot.WELL NO LUCK ABOUT ATI MOBILITY HD 5870.but u'll get 1400x1050 by editing boot file.the day graphics for this laptop would be available,it will burn envy into real mac.

Good news everyone!

There seems to be some hope about the ATI Radeon video card.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...43&start=20

As far as I know, a kext exists that permits to use the 5850 on OS X.

I haven't tried it yet, but the corresponding drivers should be available in the last [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] release. :rolleyes:

If U r talking about MOBILITY card then u r seriously misinformed!!!!!

I'm trying to do the same.

By the way, has anyone succeded in making the keyboard/mouse working under 10.6.4 ?

hi bro it says hililighted that in tonymacx86 they have installed succesfully the hd5870 video card

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...43&start=20

http://mirror.netkas.org/5700/ATY_Init.kext.zip

i hope that is usefull to you

tell me bakc if you could install your video card

im waiting for this notebook prefect hakcintosh to buy it!!

I got an ASUS G73JW with i7 940-xm... Here's what I got-

GTX460M display is working (1920x1080) with the SL 10.6.5 update and the newest drivers

I haven't had a chance to try USB 3.0

The HDMI output works

The WiFi adapter works. Sometimes it doesn't work on startup but if you cycle it with the function keys it will start to work again

The webcam works

The sound works BUT the microphone is stuck on. Anybody figured out how to turn it off?

The backlit keyboard does not work. Is there a fix for this?

I can't get CUDA to work but I also haven't spent much time on trying to fix it.

Hi, everyone!

What i have at this moment:

Works

USB.

Audio. (with stupid mic loud sound). But if you will plug headphones hole sound will be better!

Wi-fi. Works perfect. Only dont understant-it connect to apple TC but no internet. With d-link works perfect!!!

Lan. One day i had start it. How??? Mabe next time will start too )))

maximum resolution i get is 1400*1050. Better than 1024*768

Dont Works

Video. At least 1920*1080...

Computer work fast, good and i like it. But if only i could start video cars on it...

Also have big problem. After update to 10.6.5 system dosent start!!! No any panic. Tried -s, -x, -f, -F and combine commands... How to fix??

To make your wi-fi work you need:

1 download and install update 10.6.4 and higher..

2 install IO80211Family.kext from 10.6.5 beta installed with kext utility 2.4.2

3 restart comp

yo!

After following your instructions, i found that the wi-fi works with g-routers and not with n-routers. It does connect to n-routers but there is no data transfer and so safari doesnt load up any pages. Hopefully, this will be fixed in next update.

One more issue i found that when I try to update to 10.6.5, it hangs at boot without any panic which is strange...currently i m using 10.6.4

After following your instructions, i found that the wi-fi works with g-routers and not with n-routers. It does connect to n-routers but there is no data transfer and so safari doesnt load up any pages. Hopefully, this will be fixed in next update.

One more issue i found that when I try to update to 10.6.5, it hangs at boot without any panic which is strange...currently i m using 10.6.4

Same {censored}. But i fixed it.

Remove this:

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

yo!

What does it mean g-router and n-router???

I have d-link 300. And Aple TC 500gb. With TC not work.. Problem like you say.

update 10.6.5 do not fixed it up...

Have you guys found that you have to hit Fn + F2 (which is function for turning on the WiFi adapter) on boot sometimes? Or sometimes you have to cycle it off and on a couple times before WiFi starts working?

I was having issues with WiFi working sometimes and not but I found that if I cycle the adapter off and on a couple times it will eventually start working again...

And I am also having the issues with N routers...

Also- has anyone got the backlit keyboard to work?

Have you guys found that you have to hit Fn + F2 (which is function for turning on the WiFi adapter) on boot sometimes? Or sometimes you have to cycle it off and on a couple times before WiFi starts working?

I was having issues with WiFi working sometimes and not but I found that if I cycle the adapter off and on a couple times it will eventually start working again...

And I am also having the issues with N routers...

Hmmm.... Interesting ))) Thx )

Also- has anyone got the backlit keyboard to work?

What for???

Hi, everyone!

What i have at this moment:

Works

USB.

Audio. (with stupid mic loud sound). But if you will plug headphones hole sound will be better!

Wi-fi. Works perfect. Only dont understant-it connect to apple TC but no internet. With d-link works perfect!!!

Lan. One day i had start it. How??? Mabe next time will start too )))

maximum resolution i get is 1400*1050. Better than 1024*768

Dont Works

Video. At least 1920*1080...

Computer work fast, good and i like it. But if only i could start video cars on it...

Also have big problem. After update to 10.6.5 system dosent start!!! No any panic. Tried -s, -x, -f, -F and combine commands... How to fix??

Does your sound work through the HDMI port? My speakers work and the OS recognizes the HDMI as an output- as it is listed in the System Preferences/Sound output list... But no joy on sound coming through.

This is a guide on how to install a retail copy of MAC OSX 10.6 to ASUS G73JH Gaming Laptop

Specs -

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM

6GB DDR3 1333MHz memory

17.3" LED-LCD

500GB HDD 7200rpm (320GB Toshiba External I used for Snow Leopard installation)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 ( Apple I hate you! )

Atheros Wireless and Atheros LAN

Notes - Couple asked me through PM how to install Snow Leopard so here it is. I did lots of investigation on how to put OS X (10.5 or 10.6) on this laptop so I could continue my iPhone SDK development. I wasn't aware of Apple's not supporting ATI 5xx0 Series GPUs yet! But surely this wouldn't change my mind of buying this laptop as this thing owns everything on Windows.

Final Note - Yes! I didn't try any kexts on this to make, audio and lan work because you know what's the use; without graphics! so there you go guys how to install Snow Leopard on this machine.

Things you need;

- Download EmpireEFI_V1085_AMD_Inteli3i5m.zip

- MAC OSX 10.6 Retail Disc, Also iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite Edition should also work!

- Partition your hard drive with id=af on Windows, or use an external HDD (like me)

- If you running more than 4GB of RAM like me either take the extra RAM out or make sure to type the maxmem command on the installation)

Installation;

- Burn Empire EFI and boot the laptop from the laptop make sure SATA settings set to AHCI

- On boot up type;

-x -v -x32 maxmem=4096

- Format the external HDD or the partition you created on Windows to MAC OS Journaled format, install and reboot

- Reboot with the same Empire EFI disc and commands that you first booted and installed with to continue to installation.

- That's it!

What works upon installation;

- Graphics on vesa mode

- O/S itself runs really fast

- Reboot works (didn't try sleep)

- USB ports (external mouse and keyboard works fine)

- Connecting to an external monitor (which I found weird as my previous laptop didn't without proper kexts)

What doesn't work upon installation;

- Quartz Extreme graphics

- Wireless

- Ethernet LAN

- Audio

- Camera

So, any news how we can start our Video card???

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I've managed to get my ar9285 working with a kext from kexts.com a month before 10.6.4 was released. The nice part is that the ar9285 is recognized in 10.6.3 as an Airport card (using 'WIFI_AR9285.zip, which I've attached. No need to reboot. Use Kext Utility to install. Open System Preferences, networks, and wait a sec, Airport will recognize it and look for a connection... my router is a DLink N router, and I downloaded WoW (17.4 GB) in less than two hours at 1.4 - 2.5 MB/s... I'm guessing that may be 'N' speeds, but not knowledgeable enough to give a qualified answer). If 10.6.4 is giving you any grief, replace the 'SleepEnabler.kext' with the old one (be sure to back that one up before moving to 10.6.4) and do a repair with Kext Utility.

I can verify that all components except the following are fully functional:

• Backlit keyboard
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
  • Chicony CNF7129 Camera. Photobooth detects it, but booth area is black before and after snapping pic.

From what I understand, unless a MBP gets the Mobility Radeon 5870, we may never get full support.

Anyone know if the graphics card inside these can be swapped for the JW nVidia version? If it has the same ASUS proprietary MXMII PCI-e port, I'd reckon it would work. Sadly, that may be the only way to get a 99% functional MBP clone.

Re: backlit keyboard: All newer MBP's have Backlit keyboards. If someone with the time wanted to dig, I'm certain that there is some kext or script somewhere in a MBP disc that adds that.

Anyone with a recent MBP SL install disc want to throw a kext our way? ;-)

Suggestion: If you can afford the disc space, create two partitions, 'SL' and a 'SLTEST'. Use 'SLTEST' for testing kexts and configs. It'll save you the hassle of losing the good stuff.

Has anyone else experienced issues with SleepEnabler=y message at startup? I can use Kext Utility each time to remove the error, but a permanent fix would be nicer.

WIFI_AR9285.zip