dotch

dotch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys.
is 720p playback working for u?
with os x and not overclocked cpu, i experience laggs during playback using quicktime or vlc.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Heck no we can't play 720p.

Well, maybe an official Apple trailer played using quicktime will turn on GPU acceleration just for that trailer.

But as far as playing 720p Flash or a 720pMKV? The Atom simply can't do it, and no programs in OSX (not VLC, not Plex, not XBMC) can utilize OSX's weak acceleration framework.

In Windows using the CoreAVC at stock speeds the Atom N270 can ALMOST playback 720p smoothly. My Mini 311 overclocked to 2.2 GHZ with a FFMPEG based player (like Mplayer or VLC) can ALMOST playback 720p smoothly in OSX.

Honestly if you want smooth HD playback in OSX the only real option is to buy a Broadcom Crystal accelerator card in the Mini's full size Mini-PCI slot, then use one of the SVN version of XBMC to utilize that hardware acceleration.

But that sucks because the Broadcom eats your battery, and because on the 311's the internal ION is better than the Broadcom anyway- Apple just won't let us at its potential.

That is why I Tri-Boot:

1. OSX for everything but:

2. Windows 7 for HD Flash using Flash 10.1

3. Linux using VDPAU to playback (perfectly I might add) 1080p Blu Ray rips I have.

Basically my solution is to give up playing HD stuff in OSX.

Honestly in order to play back a 1080p file in software requires at least a 2.2GHZ Core2Duo and the Atom is like one sixth as powerful as one of those CPUs....

reberto

reberto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
My 311 does 720p/1080p playback without a single hiccup in OS X. If you are using a different codec for Quicktime (such as Perian), you lose GPU support. All of my HD videos are converted to .mp4/.avi on my i7 desktop before I move them over to my netbook. And OS X is getting GPU support for Flash fairly soon, possibly along with GPU supported Perian if the Perian developers feel like putting in the time.

http://www.macrumors...ther-platforms/

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

My 311 does 720p/1080p playback without a single hiccup in OS X. If you are using a different codec for Quicktime (such as Perian), you lose GPU support. All of my HD videos are converted to .mp4/.avi on my i7 desktop before I move them over to my netbook.

Agreed. Since the ION GPU shows up as 9400 to OSX with the custom DSDT, it is able to access Quicktime's x264 acceleration. If you are willing to re-encode in Handbrake (sure an i7 helps with that, I use my Q9550) then you get access to this support. But you can't play 720p scene rips, or personal m2ts rips which is really a pain.

The easy way to test if this works for you (as I mentioned above) is playing a HD Apple trailer.

And OS X is getting GPU support for Flash fairly soon, possibly along with GPU supported Perian if the Perian developers feel like putting in the time.

From what I gather, the increased Flash support just means it will will be little better but it won't support real GPU acceleration:

http://www.kaouranti...-animation.html

Basically unlike Linux (with VDPAU) on Windows (DXVA), OSX currently doesn't offer a backend way to accelerating x264 with the GPU. You have to play it in quicktime with a quicktime compatible file and that is all. So Flash has no real backend to hook into.

And Apple doesn't want to open up this little lockbox, because it keeps their iTunes store in a dominant position on their platform. And it is not like Adobe and Apple are on good terms now.

The closest people to cracking that is not the Perian people, but instead the brilliant developers behind Plex. I speculate (with only posts on their forum backing this theory) that they might have working acceleration (cracked quicktime?) in a year or less.

Till then, Tri-Boot...

ole_k

ole_k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
You could try this for playback:
Plex with hardware H.264 decode

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

You could try this for playback:
Plex with hardware H.264 decode

Yea, that is the long term solution for us.

Maybe now that Video Decode Acceleration Framework Reference is in the open a future Flash will utilize it as well...

reberto

reberto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Re-read the article, OS X IS getting FULL GPU acclerated Flash support coming fairly soon since Apple is now allowing people to access the needed software to so. Same goes for Perian. Apple is "opening this little lockbox" :D

Agreed. Since the ION GPU shows up as 9400 to OSX with the custom DSDT, it is able to access Quicktime's x264 acceleration. If you are willing to re-encode in Handbrake (sure an i7 helps with that, I use my Q9550) then you get access to this support. But you can't play 720p scene rips, or personal m2ts rips which is really a pain.

The easy way to test if this works for you (as I mentioned above) is playing a HD Apple trailer.

From what I gather, the increased Flash support just means it will will be little better but it won't support real GPU acceleration:

http://www.kaouranti...-animation.html

Basically unlike Linux (with VDPAU) on Windows (DXVA), OSX currently doesn't offer a backend way to accelerating x264 with the GPU. You have to play it in quicktime with a quicktime compatible file and that is all. So Flash has no real backend to hook into.

And Apple doesn't want to open up this little lockbox, because it keeps their iTunes store in a dominant position on their platform. And it is not like Adobe and Apple are on good terms now.

The closest people to cracking that is not the Perian people, but instead the brilliant developers behind Plex. I speculate (with only posts on their forum backing this theory) that they might have working acceleration (cracked quicktime?) in a year or less.

Till then, Tri-Boot...

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Re-read the article, OS X IS getting FULL GPU acclerated Flash support coming fairly soon since Apple is now allowing people to access the needed software to so. Same goes for Perian. Apple is "opening this little lockbox" :D

Thank goodness! That means our Minis will become better and better hackintoshes!

Awesome stuff, back to the waiting game....

reberto

reberto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Try this for GPU Flash.
http://www.engadget....rt-to-mac-os-x/

EDIT: Yup, using Gala right now, 720p/1080p Flash is a walk in the park. Chrome crashed when I first used it but it's fine now (as is Firefox).

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Try this for GPU Flash.
http://www.engadget....rt-to-mac-os-x/

EDIT: Yup, using Gala right now, 720p/1080p Flash is a walk in the park. Chrome crashed when I first used it but it's fine now (as is Firefox).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Safari seems to be the best browser to use:

http://tinypic.com/v...?pic=n56m0x&s=5

I might delete Windows 7 now....

pearofducks

pearofducks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
reporting in. plex with the new gpu x264 decode runs better, but not perfect. turning on x264 speedup in preferences to high helps and makes it so most 720p doesn't stutter at all.

MiniMAC16

MiniMAC16

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
i tried 720p on my hp mini it doesnt work ;)

reberto

reberto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

i tried 720p on my hp mini it doesnt work :(

It works if you have everything set up correctly. For 720/1080p Flash, use the Gala release of Flash 10.1 beta. For normal video playback do not use Persian, make sure QuickTime X can open the file with no added codecs and you're good to go. 720/1080p playback isn't hard to do in OS X, you just have to know what to use

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm trying to watch the daily show and the audio is doubling up on me (yes, as odd as it sounds). pausing the video DOES NOt pause the audio. well, it pauses one of them. happens in both safari and chrome.

anyone else experiencing this?

---

seems it was a particular clip. I could pause it, let the 2nd audio keep playing through to the end and then continue watching as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy