HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Why do you keep a Disabler and SleepEnabler?

I have no problem with waking up from Sleep in non verbose with my setup. Hibernatemode3 is working the system resume from deep sleep without problem, only USB is not available (LAN is) if you put it to sleep after resume (from deepsleep), you recover full USB functionality, but you lose the LAN. :) they're playing hide and seek.
You may consider it as a suggestion, or not.

E/E
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
CPUIDOverride.kext
CPUIDSymbols.kext
CPUInjector.kext
fakesmc.kext

VoodooPS2 can indeed replace ApplePS2Controller.kext

S/L/E
VoodooHDA.kext

Full vanilla PowerManagement, Sleep, Resume, etc, everything's working. But you have wrong CPU freq. (slight difference, only cosmetic) it can be solved by installing VoodooPower in S/L/E (useless in my opinion)

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
^Ok, so we are gonna be rolling out Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. :) And here I am struggling with hibernatemode 0 and non verbose mode, when you're perfectly right - hibernatemode 3 works well, I've forgotten.

If we're going with hibernatemode 3, then there's no need for a kextcache in /E/E even in non verbose mode.

But are you still getting that "sleepimage too old by so and so seconds" during boot with hibernatemode 3?

If I remember right, there will come a point when the sleepimage is "too old" for OS X's taste altogether and that causes a glitch at boot up - I just cannot recall what exactly happens but not a kernel panic, I'm pretty sure...

Well, it's for us to observe to discover then...

Various problems go away when we couple hibernatemode 3 with non-verbose like blank screen at resume - which happens when we have hibernatemode 0 + non-verbose + only /E/E/E mkext or no mkext at all.

@poofyhairyguy
I'm unable to use your final/latest VoodooPS2Controller; I installed it alright in /S/L/E but then I get a kernel panic at boot up - ACPI dependency etc. (I don't have any ACPIPS2Nub anywhere - because this VoodooPS2 version should be independent of the that specific kext) - when I've something plugged in one of the USB ports.

When I boot without anything plugged in, there's this bug - key for No. "7" is repeatedly activated - I get a "777777777" without me doing anything with the keyboard or mouse. Trackpad wouldn't work.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@LeMaurien19

Ok, I figured it out.

I will admit that to create and test my kext I was trying to use a very clean environment (so I did not use either yours or thepronto's installers) where no PS2 kexts except mine had been. After a clean install followed up by an 10.6.3 upgrade via HF5, I was able to repeat the bug.

The PS2 kext put in /S/L/E/ created an issue once gone that my clean environment kext did not account for. I have fixed my kext (in above post for version 1.1) for what I think fixes the problem.

Some feedback would be much appreciated as always.

EDIT:

Ok, looking at the ApplePS2 drivers we were using more, I must say that maybe those kexts should be thrown away. Attached are some updated kexts from the Dell Mini project. I vote these be used instead for boot disks and for those not wanting to use my Voodoo kext. It will still cause KPs in /E/E/ because of task bloat, but the codebase is improved.

Attached Files

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ LeMaurien19 : No I don't have any trouble with sleepimage, however I do use a kextcache base one E/E in the Extra folder.

You should try a fresh install with my retail pack to make your mind and test it. Hibernation fully work, except the USB issue.

@ poofyhairguy : I'll try your new ApplePS2. On a side note, I do use the ApplePS2 in my retail pack in E/E without kernel task KP...

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

@ LeMaurien19 : No I don't have any trouble with sleepimage, however I do use a kextcache base one E/E in the Extra folder.

You should try a fresh install with my retail pack to make your mind and test it. Hibernation fully work, except the USB issue.

mowglibook,

i loaded pack 0.8 (copied Extra, install bootloader: boot0, boot1h and boot, rebuild cache using kext utlity) however hibernatemode 3 doesn't work:
- resuming from sleep gave black screen (ok if verbose boot)
- i turn off and on the unit, so the unit tried to restore the image but i got message

Not enough space to restore image. Press any key to proceed with normal boot

(secure virtual memory is not used, but i am using filevault if that matters)

before, i was using a combination of PCEFI 10.6 boot and Chameleon RC4 boot0 and boot1h plus teateam kernel and the unit was able to load native cpupm, sleep hibernatemode 3 no issue
the only thing is the unit cannot restore the usb after deepsleep + sleep (the trick you mentioned)

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidoka25
Right. That's what happens when the image becomes too old. I only got as far as 456 seconds too old last night.

@MowgliBook
I put in ForceWake=y in my plist as suggested. Now I get an "Incorrect image signature" message instead of the "Image too old by x seconds...". I guess I'll just have to start from scratch cause that could still potentially yield the same result as aikidoka's.

@poofyhairguy
With the above mentioned, is there really nothing that can be done to "re-purify" /S/L/E, and prepare it for VoodooPS2 instead?
hmmm. How about pfix??? I'm a try that.

UPDATE: I'm still unable to use v1.1. I get a KP at boot up with backtrace at AppleUSBHub, IOUSBFamily, APIC, IOPCI, and IOACPI. Then there's one instance when I got a "kernel_task" related KP with VoodooPS2 v1.1 in /S/L/E
- note that this is using vanilla AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt.

Also ditto what Mowgli said, I don't experience KP with the old ApplePS2 in /E/E .

I'll create another partition in my HD for a fresh Snow Leo install to verify that (1) VoodooPS2 works and (2) hibernatemode 3 does not have pb with sleepimage age.
===
I'm appreciating hibernatemode 3 more and more. I can even take out the battery - useful for swapping batts - and the plug it in, resume the 311 via the Power button and voilà! I'm right back on track with where I left with OS X.
But then I miss the instant "on" of hibernatemode 0. And of course the peaceful days with no "sleepimage too old blah blah" messages.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

@aikidoka25
Right. That's what happens when the image becomes too old. I only got as far as 456 seconds too old last night.

@MowgliBook
I put in ForceWake=y in my plist as suggested. Now I get an "Incorrect image signature" message instead of the "Image too old by x seconds...". I guess I'll just have to start from scratch cause that could still potentially yield the same result as aikidoka's.

that image too old message is something else different and doesn't affect the system.

i compared PCEFI source code and somebody on chameleon forum also mentioned this, so i changed one line in resume.c and rebuild the program, now at least the unit is able to resume from deep sleep without any problem.
however resume from sleep with non verbose boot is still giving black screen

old code
if ((long long)mem_base+allocSize > (1024 * bootInfo->extmem + 0x100000))
new code
if (!(long long)mem_base+allocSize<1024*bootInfo->extmem+0x100000)

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidok25
Does the PCEFI you use auto patch the kernel for Atom compatibility? There's this Anv's Chameleon version which I linked a few posts back, which mentions hibernate as one of the improvements they did.
Why is the screen blank after resume with non-verbose mode anyway? For the longest time, I've been thinking it's the kextcache largely involved but it seems that this prob goes much deeper as you've illustrated above.

@Mowgli
With hibernatemode 3, when I put the Mini to sleep, upon resume, I always get a blank screen (sleep from apple menu & clamshell sleep). And then to "resume" my machine, I press the power button until the machine is turned off and then turn it back on, I get the "sleepimage too old by x seconds" but the machine continues to load/resume anyway. Is that how hibernatemode 3 should work?
Is it not possible to put it to sleep, and then wake it up either by opening the lid again or pressing the power button (but NOT to turn the machine off entirely as described above) and just resume normally? that is, screen goes back on again?

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

@aikidok25
Does the PCEFI you use auto patch the kernel for Atom compatibility? There's this Anv's Chameleon version which I linked a few posts back, which mentions hibernate as one of the improvements they did.
Why is the screen blank after resume with non-verbose mode anyway? For the longest time, I've been thinking it's the kextcache largely involved but it seems that this prob goes much deeper as you've illustrated above.

@Mowgli
With hibernatemode 3, when I put the Mini to sleep, upon resume, I always get a blank screen (sleep from apple menu & clamshell sleep). And then to "resume" my machine, I press the power button until the machine is turned off and then turn it back on, I get the "sleepimage too old by x seconds" but the machine continues to load/resume anyway. Is that how hibernatemode 3 should work?
Is it not possible to put it to sleep, and then wake it up either by opening the lid again or pressing the power button (but NOT to turn the machine off entirely as described above) and just resume normally? that is, screen goes back on again?

no pcefi doesn't have the autopatching feature, so i fixed that particular bug in nbi (mentioned above)
however, it seems the source code (from meklort blog post 19 dec 09) is different compared with the binary we have in HF, because now my compiled boot print a message saying incorrect chipset. i think the boot loader was designed for dell mini and doesn't have Mini 311 chipset information.
however, the boot continues, so i think that message is not critical.

hibernatemode 3 allows you to have 2 stages of resumes
- from ram
- from image file (deepsleep)

what you mentioned, there is problem resuming from ram, which we avoided by booting verbose
somehow, mowglibook unit's is not affected with this issue.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
I got a fresh 10.6.3 installation up and running:
/E/E
- AppleACPIBattMgr
- CPUIDOverride
- CPUIDSymbols
- CPUInjector
- fakesmc

/S/L/E
- VoodooHDA (v2.6.1)
- VoodooPS2Controller (final from poofyhairguy; NOT the v1.1 he posted as update = NO MORE KP and buggy keyboard behavior)

- Hibernatemode 3
- non-verbose

=> "Image too old by x seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override" is still displayed during boot up.
=> Resume from ram is OK (sleep via Apple menu & closing lid, upon resume press once/lightly on Power button or open up lid = NO MORE blank screen)

*I just don't know long this utopic conditions last. :unsure:

Apparently, the system doesn't get into deepsleep mode, only "resume from ram". So I kinda wonder if in hibernatemode 3, is there such a thing as switching from "Resume from ram" and "Deepsleep" variants or is that something the system decides?

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
to test deepsleep when in hibernatemode 3
1 close lid/sleep menu/sleep button
2 wait a few seconds until hdd light is off and the power light is blinking
3 take out battery/power
4 place the battery back
5 press power button
6 the system will resume from the image

i am not able to get the usb back after step #6, even if i incited another sleep then resume from ram, still no usb.

lemaurien, did you try this usb reactivation as described by mowglibook?

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

- VoodooPS2Controller (final from poofyhairguy; NOT the v1.1 he posted as update = NO MORE KP and buggy keyboard behavior)

Noted: back to that one in my above post. It is a cleaner kext so I prefer it to 1.1.

Honestly I have to say that I believe that any PS2 kext in the right conditions can cause kernel_task bloat. My VoodooPS2 kexts won't load in /E/E/ due to dependency issues, but on one build were I tried to fix those issues I ended up getting the same kernel_task panic.

At this point I think that either kext in /E/E/ is asking for it, but if you all don't ever get the dreaded kernel_task panics then you probably think my entire quest was foolish anyway. I used to get them one every other day.

My work on VoodooPS2 benefits two fold I think:

1. It is a replacement kext for Apple's kext, not a patched/hacked Apple kext. To me that makes it safer to have in /S/L/E/

2. My final version is a single kext instead of two allowing for less extra kexts in /S/L/E/

Whatever everyone decides to use going forward is fine with me, I just wanted to offer my work to those who did have problems. Hopefully we can finish putting all the pieces together soon for a final and stable configuration.

The USB not working (but the ethernet working) after hibernate is hopeful. Seems easier to fix USB than ethernet. Maybe it is something about the DSDT? I am looking at some things to maybe see if the problem can be alleviated.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
resume issues are likely to be related to RAM. I have only 2GB (1GB Micron (crucial) + the built in Samsung RAM)
Might be an explanation.?
I remember theproto reported the same unability to resume like I do and we thought it was because of his 3GB of DDR3.

I don't think this is related to the unit, but it's rather a DSDT / Bootloader issue. Unfortunately, I can't tell you more about it since I don't have the bug. You might try a 1GB RAM if you can, and don't forget to clean the sleepimage before testing it.
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@MowgliBook
By "resuming like you do", it's hibernate 3 resume from ram (faster resume), right? Not deepsleep (where we can even turn off the machine, swap battery packs even). As I've posted earlier, I did a fresh install of 10.6.3 to test hibernatemode 3 resume from ram (not deepsleep) and also poofyhairguy's VoodooPS2.

And so right now, I've decided to wipe out and reinstall on my 311 - (N280, 2GB RAM).
I've dropped VoodooPS2 in the end and went with ApplePS2 in /E/E - used your Retail Pack 0.8.

And I believe I'm "resuming like you do" because when I put the 311 to sleep, it resumes almost instantly (no more blank screen as HF5 installation) with hibernatemode 3. If that's what you're experiencing.

Before, when I was still on my HF5 install, when I set hibernatemode 3, the machine would deep sleep. Now, on fresh 10.6.3 install, it would only resume as described in the previous paragraph above.

But, in both cases, I still get the "Image too old by x seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override". Which doesn't have much impact, I've come to observe.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
No "Resume" is wake from Deepsleep or hibernation
"Wake" is juste wake from sleep (instant wake)

Both works for me in non verbose (quiet) boot.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Spoiler

Scratch that. So it's automatically put to deepsleep (RAM is written to disk) in case of total power loss.

But it's still intriguing: because in a HF5 installation base, when you set hibernatemode 3, it only does deepsleep (turn off the machine, and power it on again, at which time one can even swap out battery packs).

Aha! it's like an HF5 installation assumes there's total power loss when it sleeps, and so hibernatemode 3 autmatically interprets closing the lid and choosing Sleep option from Apple menu as, well based on the definition of hibernatemode 3, "total power loss".

Something that's also characteristic of hibernatemode 3 on H5 installation is a blank screen upon opening the lid or pressing power button to wake it up.

Spoiler

"0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.
5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences -> Security).
7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory."
~from MacWorld

samsn

samsn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Short Question: Which Steps do i have do take for a proper Dual Boot Install (Windows 7 / OS X) its a matter of the boot loader, it makes problems...
thanks!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Short Question: Which Steps do i have do take for a proper Dual Boot Install (Windows 7 / OS X) its a matter of the boot loader, it makes problems...
thanks!

Short answer: This is the development thread, you need the support thread.

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1459480

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
i managed to modify PCEFI 10.6 with kernel auto patching from NBI.
so now I have all the goodness of PCEFI 10.6 + vanilla kernel auto patching.

now, i could resume from hibernate and sleep without no issue.
still no usb after hibernate, however the webcam is reactivated if i do a resume from a sleep, following a hibernate.

i just found AsereBLN 119 has the code for kernel auto patching only it was not activated. I applied the hibernate "not enough space" bug fix and activated the vanilla kernel auto patching.

AsereBLN 119 withdrawn because:
- cannot reboot
- System Preferences / Energy Saver only shows one pane (no battery and power adapter options)
basically the are the same, i am able to hibernate and resume sans verbose (with VoodooPS2 in /S/L/E)
however, I read AsereBLN has more features for System Profiler, so I am testing it now.

for those want to use and try, it is available on post #2

UPDATE:
now the boot loader has GUI theme :)

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
^This is great news! I'll test this and post feedback.
on PCEFI 10.6 patched by aikidoka25
UPDATE: Non-verbose boot
- Hibernatemode 3 - I still am getting a "Hibernate image too old by x seconds" message. Also, I only noticed it now, webcam doesn't work (only checked via PhotoBooth) after wake from sleep. (same thing happens though on Meklort Cham).
- Hibernatemode 0 - NO MORE blank screen after wake from sleep.

!!I put back hibernatemode to 3, restarted and then tried wake from sleep. Seemed fine but after 10 minutes, KP.
USER_PROCESS : 29 Console.. :(

EDIT: I went back to debug mode and the kernel panics do seem to be all kernel_task related. In that sense, I think it's the AppelPS2Controller kexts acting up.

I wonder how this'll fare with hibernatemode 0 in non-verbose boot.

EDIT 2:
This what I consistently get during a Kernel Panic after wake (either with Meklort cham or PCIEFI10.6; from scratch 10.6.3 install - without going through HF5; MowgliBook retail pack 0.8)
No mapping exists for frame pointer
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0b0102898
Is this trackpad related (frame pointer thing and all)? :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy