HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

@mosslack,

Can you simply repartition and reformat the target drive? Then do all the installing from scratch. I've had success just running the installer to a blank and freshly partitioning disk, then seeing if it will start up my Mini (no OS X installed, yet.) If it does then all you need to do is install OS X and Chameleon.

Thanks, but I did that several times on different hard drives, each time the result was the same, so it's obviously not going to work on my system. I have not checked, but I think I may still be using the old BIOS. Will check when I have some time this evening. Thanks.

EDIT: Guess I did get it updated to F.15, so that isn't the problem.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Thanks, but I did that several times on different hard drives, each time the result was the same, so it's obviously not going to work on my system. I have not checked, but I think I may still be using the old BIOS. Will check when I have some time this evening. Thanks.

EDIT: Guess I did get it updated to F.15, so that isn't the problem.

@mosslack:

What about this: Start with a freshly partitioned and formatted drive. Partition first as this will assure no leftover EFI stuff. Use Lizard to install Chameleon using the Bootloader folder in the Retail Pack 1.1b folder. Then drag the Extra folder to the root of the drive. Lizard installs the "boot" file as invisible. If this works for you, then someone needs to identify what in my installer package is malfunctioning since I have no way to test on any other Mini but my own which is an N280 with Ion graphics and 3 GB of installed RAM.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

@mosslack:

What about this: Start with a freshly partitioned and formatted drive. Partition first as this will assure no leftover EFI stuff. Use Lizard to install Chameleon using the Bootloader folder in the Retail Pack 1.1b folder. Then drag the Extra folder to the root of the drive. Lizard installs the "boot" file as invisible. If this works for you, then someone needs to identify what in my installer package is malfunctioning since I have no way to test on any other Mini but my own which is an N280 with Ion graphics and 3 GB of installed RAM.

And this is what I did, I was having difficulties with booting Windows 7 on the internal hard drive, so I went ahead and repartitioned it as you requested. Next I used one of the Mini 311 boot disks to boot up my retail 10.6.0 DVD and installed Snow Leopard. Rebooted using the CD again and after the video played I finished setting up the system.

Once at the desktop I used a flash drive to copy over the Retail Pack 1.1b folder and using Lizard I installed Chameleon from that bootloader folder. I then copied the /Extra folder over to the hard drive and ran Kext Utility. After it was done I shut down the system, removed all of the USB connections (DVD drive and flash drive), then pressed the power switch. This is what it says:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

The hard drive is setup in BIOS to be first in the boot order and I really don't know what else to say. A few things it could be, either Lizard did not install Chameleon or something to do with the files, or there is a problem with my system. I can boot just fine if I use the boot CD or a flash drive. I have not tried it yet, but I will bet if I use Lizard to install the bootloader from the Retail Pack 07 it will then boot just fine from the hard drive. I will let you know.

EDIT: Retail Pack 07 is mysteriously missing from Mowgli's files but I did grab 08 and have used Lizard to install Chameleon from that folder. Rebooted but got a KP as I still had the 1.1b /Extra folder installed. Booted up using the boot CD and changed to the 08 /Extra folder and ran Kext Utility. Now on the reboot it boots just fine.

Whatever the problem is it only seems to be with the later files. The earlier ones seem to work just fine on my system.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !

Maybe I am wrong but I feel, the install process was easier and worked for almost everyone when we used the EFI partition method.
With the new method, things seem more complicated, and people seem to have more problems installing.
Is it really worth it ?

I must admit, I did not dare switch to the new method. I am waiting for it to become more mature, and/or to bring big improvements such as ethernet after wake.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Hello !

Maybe I am wrong but I feel, the install process was easier and worked for almost everyone when we used the EFI partition method.
With the new method, things seem more complicated, and people seem to have more problems installing.
Is it really worth it ?

I must admit, I did not dare switch to the new method. I am waiting for it to become more mature, and/or to bring big improvements such as ethernet after wake.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Actually, the method used now IS the more mature method and has been around far longer than the EFI method. MowgliBook has always done it this way. Obviously the problem I am having only pertains to my system as most everyone else's unit works fine using these files.

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

And this is what I did, I was having difficulties with booting Windows 7 on the internal hard drive, so I went ahead and repartitioned it as you requested. Next I used one of the Mini 311 boot disks to boot up my retail 10.6.0 DVD and installed Snow Leopard. Rebooted using the CD again and after the video played I finished setting up the system.

Once at the desktop I used a flash drive to copy over the Retail Pack 1.1b folder and using Lizard I installed Chameleon from that bootloader folder. I then copied the /Extra folder over to the hard drive and ran Kext Utility. After it was done I shut down the system, removed all of the USB connections (DVD drive and flash drive), then pressed the power switch. This is what it says:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

The hard drive is setup in BIOS to be first in the boot order and I really don't know what else to say. A few things it could be, either Lizard did not install Chameleon or something to do with the files, or there is a problem with my system. I can boot just fine if I use the boot CD or a flash drive. I have not tried it yet, but I will bet if I use Lizard to install the bootloader from the Retail Pack 07 it will then boot just fine from the hard drive. I will let you know.

EDIT: Retail Pack 07 is mysteriously missing from Mowgli's files but I did grab 08 and have used Lizard to install Chameleon from that folder. Rebooted but got a KP as I still had the 1.1b /Extra folder installed. Booted up using the boot CD and changed to the 08 /Extra folder and ran Kext Utility. Now on the reboot it boots just fine.

Whatever the problem is it only seems to be with the later files. The earlier ones seem to work just fine on my system.

Um, I had the same experience as you have related. It didn't see the hard drive as bootable. I wasn't sure what the issue was (partition active?). I have installed Chameleon with terminal commands but I'm lazy so I ran a MyHack installer to put RC5 on the drive. I then ran Lizard, removed the extensions MyHack installed, and did the steps you did. I am happy with the way it is working now. It seems to have less random KPs than on previous versions. I still have an issue with the current FakeSMC but I seem to be the only one. Best wishes.

-MH

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I had tested Chameleon 2 RC5 Meklort's branch Revision 651, and so far so good.

The only patch I did, was to allow kernel wake after hibernation/deep sleep on system with 3GB RAM.

It is available at post #2 above.

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I have decided to be not so lazy and do better research. Say you are starting from a newly partitioned HD and installing Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.1b. You do all the steps correctly but cannot boot from the drive you have just installed upon. Bummer. I have been told by wise hackintoshers that Chameleon should be installed manually but I don't always heed their advise. Here are steps I have followed to get the drive to boot.

First, it's easier if the Retail Pack folder is in the home directory and the spaces are taken out of the name. This can be done in Finder. Start Terminal from Applications/Utilities.

[codebox]cd Mini311RetailPack1.1b/Bootloader/i386
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
sudo cp boot /
sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
f 1
w
y
q[/codebox]

This should install Chameleon and set the partition active. You can't mess up too bad because this is a new install. This also applies when cloning to a newly partitioned drive since Chameleon usually will have to be reinstalled.

-MH

Atze de Vries

Atze de Vries

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

I have decided to be not so lazy and do better research. Say you are starting from a newly partitioned HD and installing Mini 311 Retail Pack 1.1b. You do all the steps correctly but cannot boot from the drive you have just installed upon. Bummer. I have been told by wise hackintoshers that Chameleon should be installed manually but I don't always heed their advise. Here are steps I have followed to get the drive to boot.

First, it's easier if the Retail Pack folder is in the home directory and the spaces are taken out of the name. This can be done in Finder. Start Terminal from Applications/Utilities.

cd Mini311RetailPack1.1b/Bootloader/i386sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2sudo cp boot /sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0f 1wyq

This should install Chameleon and set the partition active. You can't mess up too bad because this is a new install. This also applies when cloning to a newly partitioned drive since Chameleon usually will have to be reinstalled.

-MH

This is an installation of Chameleon to the EFI partition. If i am correct the Mini311 1.1b is configured as a non-EFI boot. But please correct me if i am wrong.

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

This is an installation of Chameleon to the EFI partition. If i am correct the Mini311 1.1b is configured as a non-EFI boot. But please correct me if i am wrong.

Well, I did test this. No EFI here but otherwise I would only recommend this under the circumstances I laid out. The only thing I'm not sure of is the need to set the partition active. If you have a spare drive you could test this as well.

-MH

Atze de Vries

Atze de Vries

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Well, I did test this. No EFI here but otherwise I would only recommend this under the circumstances I laid out. The only thing I'm not sure of is the need to set the partition active. If you have a spare drive you could test this as well.

-MH

First of all, this is not a support thread, so i think were a bit offtopic. The more easy and faster way to install Chameleon is using Lizard (check this post http://mymacbookmini...ia-lizard.html). This also does a root install of Chameleon instead of a EFI. Having chameleon on EFI and /Extra on root is not the most handy solution.

schiffi

schiffi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi,
I'm new and a noob :unsure:

I have the Compaq 311c (european version of hp mini 311...same hardware) with the Atheros AR5B93 half-size wifi card.

First I installed Snow Leopard with the Retail DVD (10.6.0) and Boot CD from Mowglibook.
After that I installed the Chameleon v2 RC5 Bootloader and copied all files in extra folder of the retailpack 1.1c (also from mowglibook) to /Extra

Now I copied the voodoohda.kext and the FakeSMC.kext from the kext folder to S/L/E and the modified AtherosFix.kext from kexts.com to the Extra/Extensions folder.

But it hangs on startup with the log:
NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Valid but not active
  NVEthernet::mediaChanged - Link is down
  NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Valid but not active
  IOKernelDebugger: registering debugger
  NVEthernet: Ethernet address XX:XX:XX......
  Airport_AthrFusion: Ethernet adress XX:XX:XX......
  IO80211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete(): adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
  IO80211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished():
  AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 1 (Unspecified)
  en1: 802.11d country code set to 'DE'
  en1: Supported channels 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
  Airport: Link Up on en1
  Airport: RSN handshake complete on en1
...hang...
If I start with the option "Boot ignore Caches" it's booting normally and wifi works.

Whats the reason for the hang?
And how can i install the bootloader from retailpack?Posted Image :unsure:
After solving the problem: can I install update to 10.6.5 without any Problems?

Sry for bad English
I hope you guys can help me

Atze de Vries

Atze de Vries

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
try running the kextutility application, which repairs permissions in /S/L/E and /E/E.

schiffi

schiffi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks,
but after running Kextutility and restart I have got a kernel Panic :unsure: :

Debugger called <panic>
  Backtrace (CPU 0), frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
  (...)
  Kernel extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
   com.apple.driver.Airport-Atheros(411.19.4)@0x4496d000->0x44a32fff
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.8)@0x44a32fff
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x3e029000
	dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(300.20)@0x44505000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Uknown

Mac OS version
Not yet set

Kernel version:
 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0 Fri Jul 21 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386
 System model name: MacBookPro5,1 (Mac-F42D86C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds. 830871099

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

First of all, this is not a support thread, so i think were a bit offtopic. The more easy and faster way to install Chameleon is using Lizard (check this post http://mymacbookmini...ia-lizard.html). This also does a root install of Chameleon instead of a EFI. Having chameleon on EFI and /Extra on root is not the most handy solution.

I don't believe I was requesting support. I'm only suggesting a workaround if you are stuck. I'm all for easy and if Lizard is working for you with the circumstance I presented then there is no need for any additional action.

-MH

deimon

deimon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
MowgliBook released package 1.1c http://www.mediafire...MowgliBook#12,1

v1.1c BETA
Meklort Bootloader 653 based on RC5, Card Reader seen as Built-In, temporary Restart Fix

Thank You MowgliBook :P

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !

Thank You MowgliBook ! ( :P too)

Feedback : I installed 1.1c yesterday. I have a black screen on wake.
Previously, I used EFI HF7c with the same issue. So it may or may not be related to the 1.1c package.

If the black screen on wake issue is not related to the 1.1c package but rather to my system, please do NOT help troubleshoot here : there is a dedicated thread for troubleshooting.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
1.1c installed + ApplePS2Trackpad.kext in /E/E (like i use to do with previous releases)

After boot : no issue :-)
(the information about the chameleon release number doesn't appear anymore
it used to with 1.1b)

Thanks Mowglibook :-)

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
from hpmini forum one poster reported about alps driver for windows from toshiba.
i am testing it now, and found it quite neat.
two fingers scrolling and side scrolling are working fine, far better than hp driver.

now, if we could find how this driver initiates the trackpad.

anyone ever used "Bus Hound"?

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I have uploaded a new beta of the HPMini installer that includes the new Mowgli Retail Pack 1.1c with Chameleon RC5 vers. 653 for those who would care to work with it and try it out. Please report any problems you may find. I have not tested this one yet.

You will find it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy