HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

@poofyhairguy
That can be done. But then it's licensing I'm worried about - I assumed we're under MIT License (googlecode project) which is Open Source license, and then Boot Camp is actually propriety Apple software/application that the OSx86 community hacked and so it doesn't agree with our MIT license.

I think license is why theproto haven't included it releases sometime after HF2 (or was it as early as 1109GA?)?

Or I can just ditch that license agreement part in the installer all together? What do you guys think?

PS. Boot Camp is just a nice GUI front end for Disk Utility - you can partition a GPT formatted drive "live" - or whatever it's properly called - in Disk Utility for dual boot without the hacked Boot Camp.

Out of curiosity where are you putting the VooDoowhatever. kexts? In my tests here's what I found works reliably:

In E/E:

AppleACPIBatteryManager
CPUIDOverride
CPUIDSymbols
CPUInjector
fakesmc
SleepEnabler

/S/L/E

VooDooHDA
VooDooPowerMini
VooDooPS2Controller

The two CPUID kexts and dsdt.aml are from Mowgli's posts. The VooDooPS2Controller is from poofyhairguy's beta release on May 6. VooDooHDA is Vers. 2.6.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
@LeMaurian

Installed HF5RC3. Seems to be running smoothly. SpeedStep is currently working with VooDooPowerMini in the /E/E. Sleep appears to work both from the Sleep menuitem and with the lid closed. Ethernet does not work on wake from sleep. Trackpad is functional as it's been. OPTION and COMMAND keys are back where they should be for a Mac.

Hibernate mode 1 does not work. Machine goes to sleep but cannot be awakened. Upon restart there's a startup error message saying not enough space to restore image.

Hibernate mode 3 does work, however, Ethernet still does not work after awakened from sleep.

alabamas

alabamas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

@ LeMaurien19 : This is a good news, means the Cstates are active ! Means this DSDT is universal, no need dumping SSDT tables in Linux. CPU-X is not reliable, use MSRTools instead, you'll see Pstates are active.

@ poofyhairguy : thank you for investigating this issue, this is indeed a common problem with VoodooPS2 (I experienced it on a MSI Wind) it seems better with this version but the caps+shift issue remain...
Don't you have it?

@ all : If you have overclocked your CPU you have wrong temperature reports. This is because of FakeSMC. If you want to be closer to the true temps, change the tjmax to 110 in FakeSMC. (Everest estimates it is 125°C on my N270, seems pretty high)

EVEREST is definitely wrong. I don't know what to believe... Maybe MSRTools is right.

TJmax of the atom n270 is 90 °C .this is the right tj on fake smc and you will get the same temps you get with RealTemp on windows.

hope it helps :)

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

The Alpha is newer, but it is also less tested. The beta had newer code that allowed the lack of use of the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

But the newer code was hard to fix up so I went backward with the Alpha (as in it requires the bundled AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext) with trying to fix the trackpad and keyboard input problems.

If the Alpha fixes the problem then I will try super hard to merge it with the newer code of the Beta.

I like your idea of moving to a one post method. Going forward I will do that.

But in summary:

Anyone who had problems with my other VoodooPS2 kexts such as keyboard and trackpad lockup, PLEASE test my Alpha package.

Anyone that didn't have problems, doesn't want to help me test, and just wants a stable platform- stick to my Beta (delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext).

Sorry for the confusion, I hope that clear everything up.

poofyhairguy, thanks for the detailed precision.
i feel alpha has a better fare than before, it is still locking up but I had to deliberately typing fast beyond my normal speed (i just tried typing random characters). I will stick with this version for this moment.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@MowgliBook : I honestly have not been able to replicate your Caps+Shift bug. What program are you using to get the freezes? Terminal?

I am glad that the Alpha seems better though. Looking at it I think the newer sources from my Beta kext are not compatible with the added patches, so a cleaned up version of my Alpha kext might be what I put forth as my final solution.

Personally for you though I am trying to make a mutant kext- one with VoodooPS2 for Mouse and ApplePS2 for Keyboard. Someone has succeeded in mixing the two in the past so:

http://www.kexts.com...controller.html

Maybe I can build one for you. For the project though I am more comfortable with a straight Voodoo Kext unless everyone else disapproves as I think honestly the Keyboard part from the ApplePS2 kext is what causes the kernel_bloat (aka there is a chance my mutant kext KPs just like the old Apple PS2 kext did).

By the way, Linux has the TJMAX of the N270 at 100C:

http://lxr.free-elec...coretemp.c#L175

I think the 90C is Intel's conservative number, and 100C is what is the real TJMAX.

@Everyone:

I am glad that my Alpha VoodooPS2 kext has improved keyboard support- that is probably as good as I can do on that issue.

What about the trackpad? Is it better than in my old kexts?

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@kappy
HF5RC3 is basically HF4 with the addition of only VoodooHDA v2.6.1. So we get an experience closer to HF4 but with better more stable audio courtesy of VoodooHDA.
The main reason for HF5 is help people get updated to 10.6.3 - the more immediate concern as of now

Meanwhile, we'll continue polishing our new kexts - ensuring that they're not buggy etc. and researching on better ways to resolve issues (ethernet on wake, etc.) if possible and then they can then be included in HF6 :)

@everyone
Now I'd like to discuss non verbose vs verbose mode. How is that when I run verbose mode, I have resume from sleep/clamshell sleep working fine with an /EFI/Extra/Ext kextcache? And then when I boot in non verbose, with the same type of kextcache, I have a blank screen when resuming from sleep?...

And then I tried creating a /E/E/E + /S/L/E kextcache (in EFI) and booted non-verbose. Sometimes resume from sleep works ok - no blank screen, and sometimes I get a kernel panic...

(*This is hibernatemode 0)

I just wanna understand more how things work. what's the magic behind verbose mode?

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
@poofyhairguy
N270 Atom Tmax=120 by intel
but if T=90 bios disable netbook

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
that makes sense, thanks for you informations, I'll keep digging and testing, and I'll set the right value to FakeSMC in a future release.

I'm really confused by this Tjmax, since Intel's Package Specifications mention a TCASE of 90°C...

However, the temp reading seems more likely to be reliable using a Tjmax over 100°

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
can HF5GA be installed over HF5RC1?

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

TJmax of the atom n270 is 90 °C .this is the right tj on fake smc and you will get the same temps you get with RealTemp on windows.

hope it helps :)

I checked the value for Tjmax for my N280's fakesmc.kext and it was 100ºC.

@kappy
HF5RC3 is basically HF4 with the addition of only VoodooHDA v2.6.1. So we get an experience closer to HF4 but with better more stable audio courtesy of VoodooHDA.
The main reason for HF5 is help people get updated to 10.6.3 - the more immediate concern as of now

Meanwhile, we'll continue polishing our new kexts - ensuring that they're not buggy etc. and researching on better ways to resolve issues (ethernet on wake, etc.) if possible and then they can then be included in HF6 ;)

@everyone
Now I'd like to discuss non verbose vs verbose mode. How is that when I run verbose mode, I have resume from sleep/clamshell sleep working fine with an /EFI/Extra/Ext kextcache? And then when I boot in non verbose, with the same type of kextcache, I have a blank screen when resuming from sleep?...

And then I tried creating a /E/E/E + /S/L/E kextcache (in EFI) and booted non-verbose. Sometimes resume from sleep works ok - no blank screen, and sometimes I get a kernel panic...

(*This is hibernatemode 0)

I just wanna understand more how things work. what's the magic behind verbose mode?

I regularly boot in non-verbose mode which seems to work OK. I've rarely had any problems so it's difficult to know if they were even the result of booting non-verbose.

I do not use any other cache than the normal one required for the /E/E folder - Extensions.mkext. There's really no need to create a cache for /S/L/E as OS X does that. OS X will automatically re-cache if the S/L/E folder has changed since last startup. The process is done either during shutdown prior to restart or after the restart or both.

I think any problems with sleep or SpeedStep are mainly caused by where SleepEnabler.kext and VooDooPowerMini.kext are placed. My experience tends to suggest they work more reliably when put in S/L/E rather than /E/E.

That said they are presently in the /E/E location where HF5RC3 puts them.

As an aside, perhaps the installer should check S/L/E for duplicates of the kexts normally placed in /E/E by the installer. This is a safety precaution in case the user has installed one or more of the needed kexts in /S/L/E. For example I had SleepEnabler and two VooDoo kexts in /S/L/E that needed to be deleted because the installer was putting them in /E/E. Just a thought as this isn't anything urgent or essential.

dparm

dparm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Finally bought a new wifi card. It's a full-length. I'm noticing that the antenna leads from the factory half-length one are not long enough. How do I remedy this?

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Finally bought a new wifi card. It's a full-length. I'm noticing that the antenna leads from the factory half-length one are not long enough. How do I remedy this?

Go on eBay and look for extensions.

dparm

dparm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Go on eBay and look for extensions.

They're all really long, like 10 feet. And what is that cable/connector style called?

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
That is wonderful news. I did attempt tp dump in Ubuntu...but I don't know if I dumped SSDT correctly in .aml format then there's instruction for a DSDT.dat and which I also did. I'm posting them here for you to check if they're any good. (I so miss Linux, I wanna chuck Windows 7 for Ubuntu, or maybe try a triple-boot setup finally ;))

I checked fakesmc on my system and its tjmax=100. This is also the same fakesmc rolled out with the release of HF5. Is that ok? I mean wouldn't that cause problems for users to just continue to use?

@ LeMaurien19 : This is a good news, means the Cstates are active ! Means this DSDT is universal, no need dumping SSDT tables in Linux. CPU-X is not reliable, use MSRTools instead, you'll see Pstates are active.

@ all : If you have overclocked your CPU you have wrong temperature reports. This is because of FakeSMC. If you want to be closer to the true temps, change the tjmax to 110 in FakeSMC. (Everest estimates it is 125°C on my N270, seems pretty high)

EVEREST is definitely wrong. I don't know what to believe... Maybe MSRTools is right.

Attached Files

stven

stven

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for awhile now, but as a new guy in the scene, I'm quite lost.

What's the status on the mini 311(what's working/what's not)

And I've installed SL10.6.2 before successfully but didn't tweak around with the machine before giving up due to the lack of free time.

I'm looking to jump back into the hack scene with you guys, I hope everything is noob friendly.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Flash Player "Gala" Preview Release

Welcome to the Flash Player preview release, code-named “Gala,” which introduces support for H.264 video hardware decoding on Mac OS X 10.6.3

Unfortunately, this doesn't seems to improve the performances

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for awhile now, but as a new guy in the scene, I'm quite lost.

What's the status on the mini 311(what's working/what's not)

And I've installed SL10.6.2 before successfully but didn't tweak around with the machine before giving up due to the lack of free time.

I'm looking to jump back into the hack scene with you guys, I hope everything is noob friendly.

http://code.google.com/p/hpmini311/ - has a summary of the current state of support along with full install instructions. its as noob friendly as possible.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
The Opening Page has also been updated to include details on the current progress on the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project :D

samsn

samsn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Flash Player "Gala" Preview Release

Welcome to the Flash Player preview release, code-named “Gala,” which introduces support for H.264 video hardware decoding on Mac OS X 10.6.3

Unfortunately, this doesn't seems to improve the performances

Dont you think? For me it seems to push my non-overclocked Mini a bit - In the past (without "Gala") i wasn't able to watch HD-YouTube Videos fluently...

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Maybe then, but we're far away from what I was expecting. Anyway this is a very early beta.
Nice move from Apple (with this Framework) and from Adobe developers though.

But the war is on anyway...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy