HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

2. VoodooPS2Controller/AppleACPIPS2Nub patched by poogyhairguy, or do we restore ApplePS2Controller/AppeACPIPS2Nub from HF4?

Please leave my VoodooPS2 out of your next release please until I get the keymap acceptable...

icemank121

icemank121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I have been experimenting with VoodooBattery instead of the Apple one in /E/E. It seems to work well, its made to work off of the vanilla CPUPM, so it may be more accurate since we've got to this point. Its available at http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html Also, as stated by others, adding VoodooPowerMini.kext back to /S/L/E, CPU speed is reported correctly in About This Mac, and cpu-x reads it correctly along with speedstep working in it.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts

Installed it in my N280 model. Seems to work fine. In fact sleep and awake from sleep appear to work without KP both from Sleep menu and closing lid. So far nothing adverse to report. SleepEnabler.kext is presently installed in /E/E.

The reason why we're interested in this dsdt hack is to enable speedstep when using the stock AppleIntelCPU PowerManagement.kext.

And then we're interested in being able to run AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt to make it take care of all our power-related concerns with our hackintosh - including sleep/resume function. Thus the consequent elimination of SleepEnabler which then makes installing this specific kext in an "HF5RC2" setup irrelevant, imho.

Please leave my VoodooPS2 out of your next release please until I get the keymap acceptable...

After reading your previous post - you did say that the current keymap for your VoodooPS2 is more "vanilla", right? Well, we could very well use Modifier keys and just remap Option as Command key which brings back 2 Cmd keys at the immediate sides of the Spacebar. That does result to a non-functioning context menu key; but it's redeemable with KeyRemap4MacBook as pointed out by earlier.

In short, keymap issue is trivial - unless we get an azerty keyboard instead of qwerty which is what I'd consider a radical change. ;)

What I consider a true issue is with the lag/freezing that MowgliBook and I have observed. Or maybe we just type a tad too fast all in all :wacko: ? Your VoodooPS2 is a more stable alternative to our old ApplePS2 so I'm reluctant to exclude it in the GA...

===

Now for the GA release. I'm currently at work now with neither Mac nor hackintosh so I'll have to defer repackaging the installer when I get home tonight then, hopefully, an HF5RC3 can be released tomorrow which would become, I hope, our HF5GA release at last for 10.6.3 :)

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
i am no longer using VoodooPS2 because my unit too encountered random freeze with that kext.

did you guys able to do hibernatemode 3 with merklort boot loader?
i tried but there was a message saying not enough sapce to restore the image, there was problem with non verbose sleep too (maybe related because i tried with hibernatemode 3)

because this is important for me, now i am back with PCEFI 10.6 + teateam kernel, too bad because i like the idea of loading vanilla kernel.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

i am no longer using VoodooPS2 because my unit too encountered random freeze with that kext.

Yeah, I am working on a more updated version. I really couldn't pin down where the freezing problems came from-I guess I am not fast enough!- I am hoping a code update fixes it.

did you guys able to do hibernatemode 3 with merklort boot loader?
i tried but there was a message saying not enough sapce to restore the image, there was problem with non verbose sleep too (maybe related because i tried with hibernatemode 3)

because this is important for me, now i am back with PCEFI 10.6 + teateam kernel, too bad because i like the idea of loading vanilla kernel.

did you uncheck "use Secure Virtual Memory?"

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

did you uncheck "use Secure Virtual Memory?"

yes I did, otherwise PCEFI wouldn't able to wake the image too.

perhaps it is the limitation of merklort's booter?

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
on my mini (with my Retail Pack) hibernation is working, however, I have no USB after resume.
My trick is to put the computer to sleep (no hibernate) after hibernation, because it brings back the USB. But still no Ethernet after sleep.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I want to put up a big post describing recent discoveries:

On the Ethernet After Wake Issue:

I tried the Nforcelan installer here on the forum and it sort of worked:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=125569

Once installed it recognized the ethernet as "airport" and worked fine, yet it did not fix the work after sleep issue.

I think the problem is that our ethernet card seems to be a strange version of a very popular network card. The reason we get partial support (unlike the 1201 that gets no ethernet) is because it is VERY similiar to the card in older MacBook Pros, except ours is 100mbs and the real Mac one is gigabit.

The Nforcelan kext project has potential- the author apparently has worked out why ethernet goes away after sleep for some cards in Snow Leopard. The best hope is to use the Nforcelan sources to make a new kext that is supported. I have started on that but it is currently a little over my head- if someone else wants to work with me on this I will be grateful!

On the PS2 Issues

So I have been nervous recently about my VoodooPS2 kext, and not just because its a little buggy! The basic problem is that going forward with Alabama's work (aka an edited trackpad kext to get real trackpad support instead of PS2 mouse support), I have basically failed at porting what he has done so far to VoodooPS2.

Getting real trackpad support is important, if only so we can finally find a way to turn off the trackpad while typing. But Alabama's work wasn't quite there- the trackpad support wasn't robust enough to allow real scrolling, or give one the ability to turn off the trackpad. Not that Alabama did bad work- he actually did great considering what he had to work with.

The problem is that the fix requires getting some specific information on the trackpad, which honestly is information poached from Linux. The real issue is that the Linux guru's have not gotten our trackpad fully working- I installed the beta Ubuntu 10.04 to steal info and even it didn't work right. Following Linux bug report threads tells me two things:

1. The bad news- no one has a solution yet. Well, there is partial support in Linux but they haven't worked out the holy grail: disable while typing.

2. The good news- it seems the HP Pavilion dm3 has the same or similar trackpad, so as more people buy those we might get support one day.

All this hunting told me though that the best solution for now is one that sticks to the PS2 Mouse concept.

What I have been looking for is some way to disable PS2 mice in OSX, so that way we can connect that command to a script that can be connected to a single key to disable and enable the trackpad. In my searching though I have not found some command line trick like that in OSX. I was think maybe we could find a way to load and unload the PS2 mouse kext upon button press, but from what I have seen nothing like that has been tried in hackintoshland. When I tried I could unload the PS2mouse kext, but when I tried to reload it I got a KP (I know, I know, terrible hack).

If we are going to have to stick with the PS2 mouse route though, I want to do my best to make it a stable ride. I know that the old ApplePS2 kext caused kernel task bloat under certain conditions, so the solution is ether to make a new non-bloaty ApplePS2 kext or to (as I have been working on) move to a VoodooPS2 kext.

Attached is my most current VoodooPS2 kext. It is based on newer sources- it does not require a nub file so delete the old AppleACPIPS2Nub or it might cause kernel panics.

If you all wouldn't mind testing it and reporting back if you have the same freezing/sluggishness issues as before. Maybe we can get something more stable for HF6.....

Attached Files

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Probably not important to what you are saying, but the 1201N DOES now have ethernet using a kext developed on this thread:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=181343

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ poofyhairguy : Very interesting post, I don't think I'm able to help on that side, however, I definitely support your initiative, and value your work. I've tested your VoodooPS2, and I still have the same but : If I press Caps+Shift quite fast, it freeze. (No KP though)

I like using VoodooPS2, better than ApplePS2Controller.kext, even if it has only mouse support for a while, as long as it's KP free and not buggy.
Keep up the good job and feel free to contact me if you need me.
I'm quite exited to see so many new things coming out for our Minis, we are almost there.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@MowgliBook
Can you teach me how to edit dsdt for speedstep please? :)
I looked at the SSDT.aml for my Mini and honestly, all the "0x6FD97C90" something in there get me lost ...how do I transpose all that into a decent DSDT.aml - how does that become "0x01" (like some conversion to value types?)

@poofyhairguy
theproto said that with hibernatemode 3 (if I remember right) and with 3GB ram, ethernet works ok after sleep. But if a solution without having to get a hardware update would be even better.

P.S. Will test your new beta. Keep up the brilliant job!

About the device removal error, 18seven from InsanelyWind has this idea of putting in an apple sub dev id (it's not the id itself that resolves the problem but serves as info that is kept and used to initialize EHCI on wake). Meaning EHCI is not initialized on wake in our case?

P.S. #2
With Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt, I somtimes get a KP with VoodooHDA v2.6.1

===
I've edited the installer HF5RC3. It's gonna be for the general public who just wanna be able to update to 10.6.3 with audio resolved by VoodooHDA v2.6.1.

We'll continue working on improving the Mini 311 hackintosh experience here.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@LeMaurien19

I have a HUGE favor to ask of you. Will you consider adding the option to install the 32 bit version of this Boot Camp Assistant in your future releases?

http://prasys.co.cc/...shes/#more-2104

I have tested it and it works- when it replaces the vanilla Boot Camp Assistant in Applications/Utilities it allows for easy bootcamp on our 311.

This feature is basically the only thing I miss about old thepronto releases. With such a thing I could rewrite my tri-boot guide for the google code page in a way that is half decent.

Thanks in advance for consideration.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@poofyhairguy
That can be done. But then it's licensing I'm worried about - I assumed we're under MIT License (googlecode project) which is Open Source license, and then Boot Camp is actually propriety Apple software/application that the OSx86 community hacked and so it doesn't agree with our MIT license.

I think license is why theproto haven't included it releases sometime after HF2 (or was it as early as 1109GA?)?

Or I can just ditch that license agreement part in the installer all together? What do you guys think?

PS. Boot Camp is just a nice GUI front end for Disk Utility - you can partition a GPT formatted drive "live" - or whatever it's properly called - in Disk Utility for dual boot without the hacked Boot Camp.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ LeMaurien19 : I've looked at your DSDT and SSDT, however, I need more dump, the SSDT table that you extracted with DSDTSE is only part of the thing, you have to use Linux or Everest to get the whole dump. On this one there is only the CST and PST addresses.

The good news is it seems to be exactly the same address, which is kind of normal, since we have the same BIOS.
"CPU0CST ", 
			0x6FD96E10, 
			0x000001C1, 
			"CPU1CST ", 
			0x6FD95F10, 
			0x00000083

So my latest DSDT is likely to work on N280. Did you try it? Please do and test the CST

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo

Geekbench should also run a bit faster (1350>1450 on my 2.3 N270) with this DSDT, you could test that as well.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

@poofyhairguy
That can be done. But then it's licensing I'm worried about - I assumed we're under MIT License (googlecode project) which is Open Source license, and then Boot Camp is actually propriety Apple software/application that the OSx86 community hacked and so it doesn't agree with our MIT license.

I think license is why theproto haven't included it releases sometime after HF2 (or was it as early as 1109GA?)?

It was HF3 that had it last, and that one has stayed hosted on the google code page without problems.

I vote have it as an option, but I will defer if others think it is a bad idea.

PS. Boot Camp is just a nice GUI front end for Disk Utility - you can partition a GPT formatted drive "live" - or whatever it's properly called - in Disk Utility for dual boot without the hacked Boot Camp.

I know it is just the disk utility in another shell, but the honest truth is that when you are dealing with Hybrid GPT partitions then using the bootcamp is a shortcut to keep 32bit Windows (and its MBR requirement) happy.

It makes for an easy dual (tri) boot guide, and makes us a little more vanilla.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@MowgliBook

Looking deeper into the issues you have with my VoodooPS2 kext it seems that the problems came from the original sources.

Attached is a VoodooPs2 kext with a few patches to hopefully make the issues better. Also included is a needed NUB kext- I want to keep that kext around until I fix the issue.

Please let me know if this is any improvement, if not I might start working on the ApplePS2 route again.

Attached Files

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts

@ LeMaurien19 : I've looked at your DSDT and SSDT, however, I need more dump, the SSDT table that you extracted with DSDTSE is only part of the thing, you have to use Linux or Everest to get the whole dump. On this one there is only the CST and PST addresses.

The good news is it seems to be exactly the same address, which is kind of normal, since we have the same BIOS.

"CPU0CST ", 
			0x6FD96E10, 
			0x000001C1, 
			"CPU1CST ", 
			0x6FD95F10, 
			0x00000083

So my latest DSDT is likely to work on N280. Did you try it? Please do and test the CST

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo

Geekbench should also run a bit faster (1350>1450 on my 2.3 N270) with this DSDT, you could test that as well.

I tried and it did return a value : 19733 or something, I don't remember exactly but it did return a value. But cpu-x
still doesn't detect it speedstepping.

I'll look at dumping with Linux one of these days.

@poofyhairguy
Ok, we'll add it Boot Camp then.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

@MowgliBook

Looking deeper into the issues you have with my VoodooPS2 kext it seems that the problems came from the original sources.

Attached is a VoodooPs2 kext with a few patches to hopefully make the issues better. Also included is a needed NUB kext- I want to keep that kext around until I fix the issue.

Please let me know if this is any improvement, if not I might start working on the ApplePS2 route again.

the beta posted before doesn't work, i put it in /S/L/E and the automated kextcache reported errors.
i am using the alpha from this post now, yet to try some keyboard mashing.

but which version is the latest? i think normally beta is newer than alpha, but you posted beta before alpha so i am confused. perhaps keeping the kext in one post and keep updating it better than having many versions flying around.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ LeMaurien19 : This is a good news, means the Cstates are active ! Means this DSDT is universal, no need dumping SSDT tables in Linux. CPU-X is not reliable, use MSRTools instead, you'll see Pstates are active.

@ poofyhairguy : thank you for investigating this issue, this is indeed a common problem with VoodooPS2 (I experienced it on a MSI Wind) it seems better with this version but the caps+shift issue remain...
Don't you have it?

@ all : If you have overclocked your CPU you have wrong temperature reports. This is because of FakeSMC. If you want to be closer to the true temps, change the tjmax to 110 in FakeSMC. (Everest estimates it is 125°C on my N270, seems pretty high)

EVEREST is definitely wrong. I don't know what to believe... Maybe MSRTools is right.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

the beta posted before doesn't work, i put it in /S/L/E and the automated kextcache reported errors.
i am using the alpha from this post now, yet to try some keyboard mashing.

but which version is the latest? i think normally beta is newer than alpha, but you posted beta before alpha so i am confused. perhaps keeping the kext in one post and keep updating it better than having many versions flying around.

The Alpha is newer, but it is also less tested. The beta had newer code that allowed the lack of use of the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

But the newer code was hard to fix up so I went backward with the Alpha (as in it requires the bundled AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext) with trying to fix the trackpad and keyboard input problems.

If the Alpha fixes the problem then I will try super hard to merge it with the newer code of the Beta.

I like your idea of moving to a one post method. Going forward I will do that.

But in summary:

Anyone who had problems with my other VoodooPS2 kexts such as keyboard and trackpad lockup, PLEASE test my Alpha package.

Anyone that didn't have problems, doesn't want to help me test, and just wants a stable platform- stick to my Beta (delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext).

Sorry for the confusion, I hope that clear everything up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy