HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@LeMaurien19

DID YOU TAKE OUT YOUR RAM?!?!?!

I had the same thing happen to me once and removing the extra RAM stick I added to the unit fixed it for me. Try that before you send it in! A the very least you need to take out all the non-default stuf anyway, so maybe you will get lucky...

As far as your PS2 results: very interesting that the black screen goes away with the PS2 kexts removed. When you get yours back the next thing is to put ApplePS2 in /S/L/E/ to to see if it causes the black screen.

I hate to ask this of you, but would you mind doing all of us a favor before you sign off: Will you mind modifying your installer to produce a version that replaces ApplePS2 with /S/L/E/ VoodooPS2 and has MowgliBook's f15 dsdt? It would help us limp by until you return.

Good luck and thank you for all your work....

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Sorry, I feel so responsible for that...

How far have you been to cook it? I had several failure to post when testing sleep with bad DSDTs, but I just have to unplug and it posts again. I must say that I almost had a stroke when it first happened...

I've read that you can change the BIOS chip to solve this, since there is no way to clear the CMOS (which is in the same chip). That would avoid waiting a month...

But if you haven't been to far you may recover it.
Next time be sure to stay below the max of what the Mini can stand in ASrock, mine is fine up to 2456Mhz but I don't dare setting the BIOS to 2.4

Good luck, et à bientôt.

Reviens vite, tu es l'un des seuls membres actif, et on en a déjà beaucoup perdu...

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts

@LeMaurien19

DID YOU TAKE OUT YOUR RAM?!?!?!

I had the same thing happen to me once and removing the extra RAM stick I added to the unit fixed it for me. Try that before you send it in! A the very least you need to take out all the non-default stuf anyway, so maybe you will get lucky...

As far as your PS2 results: very interesting that the black screen goes away with the PS2 kexts removed. When you get yours back the next thing is to put ApplePS2 in /S/L/E/ to to see if it causes the black screen.

I hate to ask this of you, but would you mind doing all of us a favor before you sign off: Will you mind modifying your installer to produce a version that replaces ApplePS2 with /S/L/E/ VoodooPS2 and has MowgliBook's f15 dsdt? It would help us limp by until you return.

Good luck and thank you for all your work....

I did...I've gotten to a point with all the fix a "Mini 311 bricked by overclocking" where I've practically dissected my unit like a frog - ok, not as in the advanced University pre-med bio class, but rather for graders. No luck.

About the installer. Sure thing. So that's MowgliBook's Retail Pack 0.9a, in essence right?
I still have my HP Mini 1000 running on 10.6.3 (it was timely it got resurrected just in time for this imbecile tragedy) and an MSI Wind on retro-Leopard and can do my work on it

I'll just have to ask you guys here to bear with testing :robot: Also, I'll still visit this thread as much as possible; if we need to update the info on the OP, just give me a heads up.

So sorry for being so impulsive - but I've learned my lesson. And @MowgliBook, you shouldn't feel responsible for my own stupidity (as the song goes; "myself and I have some straightening out to do") :)

Je reviendrai, c'est sûr! A très très bientôt mes potes.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Too late...I think I've bricked my Mini. It would still turn ON, fan, wifi light red, pwr button led on, but black screen. It won't let me reflash it - USB flashdrive I've used many times to flash bios would only light up it's led light once but won't read once I power on the machine... :robot: I am such a useless noob....

There have been many discussions of this at this site: http://myhpmini.com/...7fb2e6c684d4949.

Removing any user installed RAM, the network cards, and removing the lithium CMOS backup battery inside has helped others. Once you remove the batteries and AC power let the computer sit overnight. Then try the next day to see if you can get the DOS-based passive restore of the BIOS.

If you cannot then the motherboard is fried. Costs just under $400 USD to replace. I've been there, done that. If you choose not to tell HP you're responsible, then you may get it fixed under warranty. I didn't do that so I paid through the nose.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@LeMaurien19

I hope you can get HP to fix it. The way I look at it your blog has probably sold tons of 311s, so them fixing one for you is just a way of paying you back. So when they ask, it is their fault it broke: they should have given you a tester unit months ago!

No matter what I hope you get it working, and I am willing to help. Don't feel bad, that forum is full of bricked minis.....

As far as the package goes: yeah MowgliBook's Retail Pack 0.9a + aikidoka25's PCIEFI. Plus the new Alter EFI (and maybe the mythical "nonverbose mode" option) would be nice. I am happy to do the clean install testing.

Wish you luck on getting it fixed. Have you called HP yet (or gone to the local store)?

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts

@LeMaurien19

As far as the package goes: yeah MowgliBook's Retail Pack 0.9a + aikidoka25's PCIEFI. Plus the new Alter EFI (and maybe the mythical "nonverbose mode" option) would be nice. I am happy to do the clean install testing.

Wish you luck on getting it fixed. Have you called HP yet (or gone to the local store)?

Roger that. :)

I haven't even called them yet. It's national election here (a holiday) so I doubt they're open. Will bring it in after work tomorrow - it isn't far from the office.

UPDATE: Attn: poofyhairguy: Here's HF6RC2a for testing. I had included that useful code for clearing kext cache in Snow Leopard; that is, deleting com.apple.kext.caches in /System/Library/Caches.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Ok here is a report on how I did to overclock my N270. THIS IS NOT A HOW TO, just a piece of advice if and only if you want to try. keep in mind this is only for the N270, since the N280 has different FSB and multiplier. I'm just posting it because I don't want to see other bricked Minis... I should have done that before

If it's your first time overclocking, you should not try, or just stick to 2Ghz. Try first on a Dual BIOS mobo, that you can't cook easily.

Think twice before you hit F10 in the BIOS.

Always revert to default setting before applying anything.

Listen to cool nice music, it definitely help keeping a cool head.

Double check everything, think twice, be patient, don't be greedy

I only use the linked ratio from the Read me, I tried 2Ghz, then tested 2.2 in Asrock OCTuner, the set 2.2 in the BIOS, then tried 2.3 in OCTuner, then in the BIOS, then up to 2.456 in OCTuner, but ... I'm too scared of bricking my unit so I didn't try it in the BIOS. :P 2.3 is just amazing, with this ratio, RAM is running 1150Mhz CAS8 (auto) geekbench @ 1433 in Mac OS X, Windows 7 says 3.1/5.1/5.0/5.4/5.9

I've spent much time reading the forum, to avoid the mistakes and overclock "safely". I don't think that keeping the RAM unlinked is good, the Mini doesn't seem to like it, avoid exotic ratios, stick to the table unless you really know what you're doing.

if you ever want to try, here is how I did, I can't assure you that it will work.

set the BIOS to 2.0Ghz : linked, 3:2, 512+152 (use F5 & F6)

2.0Ghz | 166Mhz | 666 | 512+152 | 3:2 | 1000 (leave the RAM to Auto, most brick comes from bad settings, and the BIOS is smart enough, it will set it to CAS7)

I'm almost sure that nothing bad could happen with that clock, and ratio (MSI was overclocking the Wind up to 2Ghz), but It'll enable you to try to get up to 2.2Ghz hopefully, with RAM in CAS7. if it's stable then you should not have any problem overclocking your BIOS to 2.2Ghz, since the RAM is clocked higher than what the BIOS will do.
If it's not, forget it before it's too late or you'll cook it. 2Ghz is a 25% overclock.

Bear in mind you should try to overclock a bit more in OCTuner, just to be sure, but if you have RAM errors, it might as well be because of the timings.

2.2Ghz | 183Mhz | 733 | 512+221 | 3:2 | 1100 (Ram Auto) seems to work on every N270, whatever the RAM (it will likely set it to CAS8)

One you reached 2.2 in the BIOS, as the RAM is clocked CAS8, you can try to go up to 2.3 or more in ASrock first... only if you want to.

I chose to overclock to 2.3 because it makes a difference since the RAM is clocked 1150Mhz, and the ION benefits a lot from that, however, you have to keep in mind this is a very risky clock, and I'm just lucky because my N270 has a VID of 1.150, but it actually goes up to 1.263 according to PCWizard and MSRTools and I'm not pushing my N270 to it's limits, (as I said, it's still stable @ 2.457Mhz with a 820Mhz FSB! in ASRock)

Here is the link for F15 BIOS, also included in my latest retail pack.

If you have question ask first, and make some research before attempting anything.

If you have a N280, don't expect to reach more than 2Ghz, because the multiplier is 10 and not 12
@ 2Ghz the N280 has a 200Mhz FSB [200x10] (equivalent of a 2.4Ghz N270 [200x12]) in both case that's a 800Mhz FSB [200x4] ! if you reach it, you should stop here.
Read the forum carefully.
1.8Ghz | 180Mhz | 720 | 512+208 | 3:2 | 1080 looks safe.
2.0Ghz | 200Mhz | 800 | 768+32 | 3:2 | 1200 only if you have good RAM and you're lucky, 200Mhz BUS is a very high clock.

and remember,

Think twice before you hit F10 in the BIOS.

Always revert to default setting before applying anything.

Listen to cool nice music, it definitely helps keeping a cool head.

Double check everything, think twice, be patient, don't be greedy

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
And don't assume that just because a clock setting is listed under N280 from forums that it's safe.
I am referring to this table: (BEWARE)

The equivalent for N280:

CPU freq. | Bus freq. | FSB (quad pumped) | BIOS values | FSB to DDR3 freq. ratio | DDR3 freq.
--------------------------------------------
1.66Ghz | 166Mhz | 666 | 512+154 | 2:1 | 1333
1.66Ghz | 166Mhz | 666 | 512+154 | 3:2 | 999
1.8Ghz | 180Mhz | 720 | 512+208 | 3:2 | 1080
1.8Ghz | 180Mhz | 720 | 512+208 | 5:4 | 900
2.0Ghz | 200Mhz | 800 | 768+32 | 3:2 | 1200
2.0Ghz | 200Mhz | 800 | 768+32 | 5:4 | 1000
2.2Ghz | 220Mhz | 880 | 768+112 | 3:2 | 1320
2.2Ghz | 220Mhz | 880 | 768+112 | 5:4 | 1100
2.3Ghz | 230Mhz | 920 | 768+152 | 3:2 | 1380
2.3Ghz | 230Mhz | 920 | 768+152 | 5:4 | 1150
2.4Ghz | 240Mhz | 960 | 768+192 | 5:4 | 1200

Also, if you're on OS X Snow Leo, I noticed that it hangs at boot (at network setting line checked via verbose mode) when overclocking reaches 2.0 GHz.

DO NOT assume that by clocking to the next higher setting will get you past that hang up during boot. :D

@poofyhairguy
Now try this one: HF6RC2

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I'm uploading a new Retail Pack, 0.9b for BIOS F15
New DSDT
Moved VoodooPS2 into E/E
Wake up even in non-verbose, USB is fully functional after wake.

Known issue:
IOreg KP when wake up in non-verbose, not in verbose, not in non-verbose from a USB disk.
NO ethernet after sleep, no USB after deepsleep

Please, I need testers, I would appreciate feedback on this KP or any issue you may spot.

@ LeMaurien19 :

Indeed, I believe that there is no way to reach a FSB of 880 with an Atom, at least not without overvoltage. I think that 800Mhz is already a huge overclock without changing the voltage. This is probably the Atom's limit at stock voltage. That's why few Minis reach it without failure or brick.
So you can forget this part of the table.

2.2Ghz | 220Mhz | 880 | 768+112 | 3:2 | 1320
2.2Ghz | 220Mhz | 880 | 768+112 | 5:4 | 1100
2.3Ghz | 230Mhz | 920 | 768+152 | 3:2 | 1380
2.3Ghz | 230Mhz | 920 | 768+152 | 5:4 | 1150
2.4Ghz | 240Mhz | 960 | 768+192 | 5:4 | 1200

tomtempest

tomtempest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
@Mowgli

Are you using a distinct version of the OCTuner as for A330ION?

Maybe we should wait until the next full moon before again tinkering with OC? ;-)

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ poofyhairguy : Are you satisfied with your VoodooPS2 or still working on it? I still have some KP caused by the kext, kernel_task etc... even on fresh install where NO ApplePS2 has ever been used. Any hope to improve that?

@ tomtempest : read this tread carefully, and please, post your questions in the support tread.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
@MowgliBook

I don't think that the PS2 kexts are done, heck I want real trackpad support. I will admit thought I might never get something working in /E/E/. Putting PS2 kexts there (even mine) causes mean kernel_task bloat.

I think that for now though I want to figure out a mostly stable config to tell others on here before I keep tinkering with it...

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

I will admit thought I might never get something working in /E/E/. Putting PS2 kexts there (even mine) causes mean kernel_task bloat.

I have KP even when your PS2 kext is in S/L/E...

LoVe ChOcO

LoVe ChOcO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
@MowgliBook:

I have test your Retail Pack 0.9a + dsdt (dsdt Bios F15) with the bios F15 original. I don't have update the OS (10.6). Execpt the sleep, i don't have a problem. I am not a "geek" of Hack/Macintosh, but i think the OS is stable (Halt, Restart, GPU, bluetooth, USB). For the Sleep, the mini start to go on sleep and restart after that.

Recently, y have crash the OS and i reinstall the OS with the last Retail Pack 0.9b.

@All:

Congratulation for the great job perform.

PS: Sorry for the bad english, I made a lesson but is it not yet perfect...

Jon

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Merci pour le retour, avec moi tu peux parler Français. ;)
Pour les problèmes de veille met à jour vers 10.6.3, et démarre en verbose (-v) ça devrais marcher.

LoVe ChOcO

LoVe ChOcO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
@MowgliBook:

Bon, allez , je poste en FR, plus facile.. :). Donc j'ai fait avant la résintall, pas de gros problème pendant l'install. Je l'ai fait avec un clé USB (cré avec un VM-Leopard sous VMware Workstation). A la fin de l'install, j'ai eu une erreur comme quoi pas possible de crée le boot (c'est pas la première fois que ça fait ça, même tout le temps). La clé, je l'ai crée comme le tuto sur Google-Code HPMini311, avec HF4.zip. Voilà pour l'install.

Après, j'ai boot sur la clé (boot sur le disque qui vient d'être install inexistant). Pas de soucis, le "logo" de bienvenu, sacade à mort très certainement parce que le driver vidéo sont pas encore présent. Après au moment de faire l'install de ton Pack, pas de soucis, je suis à la lettre les infos (Bootloader installé avec Lizard, copie du dossier Extra puis lancement de KextUtility, puis install du Kext VoodHDA avec KextUtility. En "même temps, je désactive "use secure virtual memory".). Après reboot, La gros KP au lancement (pendant la pomme gris). Je Shut la machine, puis reboot, et là c'est ok.

Je crée donc mon layout pour clavier CH-FR (je le posterai un de ces quatre). Je v'ai m'arreter là et tester la machine ces jours si (1-2jours) sans upgrade (si ça te va).

A ce point:
Halt - OK,
Reboot - OK,
Veille - PB (mais pas encore tout compris, me semble-t'il qu'il y plusieurs profondeur),
Bluetooth - OK (mais pas désactivable ??),
Trakpad - OK (Vu comme souris, ça me dérange pas, juste la vitesse de défilement pas super regulier, me semble t'il.),
Vidéo - OK (QE/QI),
Batterie - OK (%),
Temps de boot - Rapide,
Temps d'utilisation - Me semble que c'est bien correct (mais pas tester completement).

Pour le moment, il me semble que c'est tout, j'espère que j'ai rien oublier.

Meilleur salutation

@LeMaurien19:

Sorry for you Mini331 :)

@All:

This Netbook, is very Cool ;)

Jon

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I'm not pleased with 9a and 9b DSDT, I've dropped the USB Power management hacks I was trying. Here is a new DSDT for BIOS F15. Again :) ahah

I'm mainly interested in what happens after sleep. Check the Webcam, the USB connectors, and IOreg please.
report if it works in verbose / non verbose and what PS2 driver you're using.

Retail Pack updated

Attached Files

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

testing dsdt6 now, did a few sleep/resume iterations the usb flash disk is maintained.

about the webcam, either i was lucky or something else, most of the time i have it works after sleep/resume.
but again my installation is a bit different as i don't use HF releases 100%.

i haven't got a peaceful time to check on VoodooHDA HDMI, but for sure i will post here if there is any progress.

mowglibook,

i just noticed, the usb flash disk is maintained only when the computer is connected to power adapter.
if it is on battery, after resume from sleep, i always got the error message saying the disk was not removed properly.

i am still using dsdt6 and F14 here, boot non verbose.

do you have such message after resumed from sleep with F15 + your latest dsdt (on power adapter and battery)?

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
@ aikidoka25 :
Yes, I tried to override it (recent DSDT hacks) but I can't : the the BIOS is switching off the power from the USB BUS to save battery (smart, but not for OS X)
EDIT : Could you tell my what are the goodies of PCEFI, compared to Meklorts boot?

@ everyone :
EDIT : With 0.9C I'm able to boot in non verbose and still have the USB, the webcam etc after sleep. I'm quite happy with that. Please test it and report (fresh install recommended)
EDIT : 0.9c is definitely stable and functional, way better that the two previous alpha. I would really appreciate some feedback on it.

LoVe ChOcO

LoVe ChOcO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
@ MowgliBook:

Encore un new Pack ;) , ça bosse, ça bosse :D

Juste un dernier truc, avant de passer au dernier pack, quand le netbook partait en veille (comme je l'ai expliquer en "anglais", le netbook, lance la veille reste quelques instants en veille et de suite, ressort de la veille (ce que vous avez déjà surement aperçu). Le points le plus étrange, c'est que si il part en veille avec une clé USB et un souris USB, au reveille, j'ai l'avertisement, que le clé s'est déconnecter de façon pas correct et la souris fonctionne toujours. si je débranche les deux et reconnecte au même endroit ou pas, la clés USB n'est pas detecté, alors que la souris USB oui...

J'ai juste un question pour ce nouveau pack, faut le tester sous 10.6 ou 10.6.3?

Meilleur salutation

PS: Je relance une install propre en V0.9c.

Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy