HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (PART III - Current/Latest)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
777 replies to this topic

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Welcome to the current Project Thread for Mac OS X on the HP Mini 311 and devoted to development discussions.
(New effort to continue from original HP Mini 311 Darwin Project which was closed)
Kindly please DO NOT post Support questions on this thread.
Support related questions have better chances of being answered if you post them on the appropriate thread:
HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support (PART II)

Current Status for the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project:
This is an EFI boot method type of system/installation
Only Snow Leopard is supported on the HP Mini 311 : 10.6.4; F.15 bios

WHAT WORKS:
- Video [VANILLA] acceleration/Quartz Extreme (QE) support for NVidia Ion. Recognized as NVidia 9400M graphics card
- Audio [/S/L/E] VoodooHDA.kext. Full 3.5 mm jack support (Line-in and mic). Internal mic works.
- Bluetooth [VANILLA] Native support via IOBluetoothFamily
- Input devices [EXTRA] Keyboard works. Trackpad is currently treated as PS2 mouse - Edge scrolling works.
- Webcam [VANILLA] Functions via PhotoBooth, iChat, etc.
- LAN [VANILLA] NForce 100 MB Ethernet.
- Hot Keys [VANILLA]
*Fn+F2 for sleep
*Fn+F3/F4 for brightness
*Fn+F8/F10/F11 for mute/volume -+
*BT via wireless switch (Bios F.15 cracked; stock combo BT/WiFi card in full-height PCI slot & replacement WiFi card in half-height PCI slot)
*With an Atheros card (AR9280), button does not work - BT can't be switched on/off anymore.
- Restart/Shutdown [VANILLA] Works with no additional kexts needed (NO NEED for EvoReboot/OpenHaltRestart/OSXRestart)
- Sleep [EXTRA] Actually taken care of by Vanilla Power Management but CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols are in EFI(Extra). Hibernatemode 0 supported; Graphical boot mode supported. NO MORE "blank screen on wake" issue. (needs further verification)
- Pretty much everything else (Ain't this a perfect little Mini MacBook hackintosh? :) ok, almost perfect)

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
- WiFi Stock HP WiFi card NEEDS TO BE REPLACED with Snow Leopard compatible cards (Tentative list):
1. Dell 1510
2. Broadcom BCM94312HMG
3. Broadcom BCM94322HM8L
4. Apple Airport Extreme N (Broadcom 4328)
5. Atheros AR5B91
6. Atheros AR5B93
7. Atheros AR5BHB92
8. Atheros AR5BXB61
9. Atheros AR5BXB92
*The most popular card is the Dell 1510 which supports a/b/g/n and is half height.
**The Apple Airport Extreme N (Broadcom 4328) card can be used in the full height slot. See WiFI Details #1 below

More Details on WiFi
1. Half-height PCI slot is locked. If replacing original card with half-height card, flash with dewhitelisted/icelord cracked bios. It's included in Retail Pack 0.9.
Flash HP Mini BIOS Manually
NO NEED to flash bios if you're using extra PCI slot (full-height) you can try Apple Short laptop U.fl antenna extensions because stock ones can't reach the card in this specific slot. Or you can open up your Mini and reroute the original antenna.
2. To tape, or not to tape PIN 20: It depends; if you've experienced your WiFi card being "switched off" mysteriously, never to be revived again unless you boot into Windows/Linux and "switch on" the card from there, then tape PIN 20.

OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:
- Battery life. 2.5-3.5 hrs on Mac OS X 10.6; 3-4 hrs on Windows 7; and 4-5 hrs on Windows XP. Results may vary according to use - WiFi on, BT, video playback, music playback, etc..
- HDMI port. Video works, but NOT audio.
- Ethernet after sleep. Works but would not resume after sleep. This is a common issue on most hackintosh netbooks. (i.e. my MSI Wind has this problem too)
- RAM 3GB Max. Yeah, people are and perhaps always will argue that the 311 can actually use (and not just merely display the figures in sys profiles) more 4 - 5 GB DDR3. But please Read Here and Here. We're not forbidding people to install a 4GB module in their 311's, we just want them to know what to expect.

*WORKING INSTALLATION/BOOT METHODS
(For optimum results and better sustainability, it is advised NOT to mix up these two, CHOOSE JUST ONE method).
1. EFI Boot. Discussed in this very same thread and supported in HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support (PART II)
- INSTALLATION GUIDE
- Latest Release: HPM311DP_063010HF6RC4.pkg (10.6.4 update ready; based on MowgliBook Retail Pack 0.9)
- Kindly please test this new package, if results are positive, it will be rolled out as official HF6
*Details on HPM311DP_063010HF6RC4
- VoodooHDA v2.6.1 - offers better support for 3.5 jack: both Line-In and Headphone. Installed in /System/Library/Extensions
- DSDT.aml - Updated for current Bios F.15 version. Device HPET fixed and P-Sates (based on Atom N270 but works with N280 as well) to enable vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
- ApplePS2Controller - better code - as per Retail Pack 0.9's readme

2. NetbookBootMaker/NetbookInstaller. Being tested by mosslack. For all concerns dealing with that specific Install/Boot Method, please post at the linked thread.

*OTHER RESOURCES
1. HP Mini 311 Google Code page contains how-to guides and links to HP mini 311 resources
2. Other resources (MowgliBook): MowgliBook's mediafire additional site for downloadable HP Mini 311 resources

Note: I'll be updating this thread header from time to time. Please do not hesitate to post suggestions. :)

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
reserving this post for any update on VoodooHDA and others

attached is the modified kext for Mini 311 based on Slice's version 2.6.1
no major changes, but as Slice mentioned, I found it has clearer output.

Update 28/09/2010
VoodooHDA 2.7.1 by Slice from ProjectOSX - modified to allow volume change using fn f8/f10/f11 keys, also attached the preference Pane (not modified)

Update 03/10/2010
The half volume fix has a side effect, it caused the mic volume disturbingly low, current work around is to disable this fix in Info.plist
Attached File  VoodooHDA.kext.271.20100928.zip   154.68KB   65 downloads ==> low mic volume, half volume fix
Attached File  VoodooHDA.kext.271.20101003.zip   155.49KB   25 downloads ==> normal mic volume, no half volume fix
Attached File  VoodooHDA.prefPane.271.zip   35.41KB   59 downloads

Update 29/09/2010
For those using the trackpad kext from Meklort which is tested by Elrom here, here is the preference pane that works. No more crazy cursor while typing.
It is important you followed the instruction included in the zip file.

Update 14/10/2010
About AGPM, if you want to try you can use the attached kexts, and set the unit as MacBook6,1 in the smbios.plist
Put them in /Extra/Extension and rebuild the kextcache.

Use at your own risk! because I noticed frequent KP when resuming from sleep, need to investigate further
it seems some pc efi 10.6 parameters i used are not good, here are the injectors
Attached File  LegacyAGPM_mc_20101014_MacBook61.zip   8.67KB   51 downloads

I noticed there are 8 to 12 C difference compared when the injectors are not used.

If you want to use a different machine type, you have to update the kexts accordingly.

NOTE:
I don't claim I created this kext myself, many thanks to
VoodooHDA: Slice, Mosslack and and not to forget Pcrew.
TrackPad Pref Pane; Mammoth
AGPM: mitch_de, MasterChief

To avoid any confusions the source code is not here. After all, what I did a shortcut, Slice said it could be done by node patching, but then I don't quite understand how to patch that (I did try it before, only got KP).

If you know how, please download the unmodified kext from project OSX, and share the results here.
It is better that way, because someone doesn't have to apply (cat and mouse game) the modifications every time there is a new version from Project OSX.

I am going to release it when there is no further modifications required (ideally when we have confirmation on HDMI sound).
Attached File  VoodooHDA.kext.261.20100424.zip   153.45KB   195 downloads

To achieve stability in 10.6.5, I abandoned PCEFI 10.6 in favor of Chameleon RC5
Here is PCEFI 10.6 boot file, with TeaTeam's kernel auto patching (ported from NBI), so you have all the goodness of PCEFI (eg: hibernate with 3GB of RAM) + kernel auto patching
Attached File  boot.PCEFI106.20100501_GUI.zip   191.62KB   108 downloads

Update 15/11/2010
Here is Chameleon RC5 rev 635 compiled with Atom patch as well as 3GB memory fix, I feel it is stable for 10.6.5 (boot non verbose/sleep/resume) Attached File  ChamRC5_rev635_20101114.zip   477.37KB   38 downloads

Update 07/12/2010
Here is Chameleon RC5 rev 651 compiled with 3GB memory hibernate fix only because the Atom Kernel Patcher is built-in by default (it is supposed to be safer).

Update 09/12/2010
Bug fix on resume from hibernate, based on rev 653 Attached File  Cham2RC5MeklortRev653_20101209.zip   181.05KB   72 downloads

0 only use with DSDT from retail pack 1.1a or 1.1b
1 put boot file into /
2 copy the contents of modules directory into /Extra/modules
3 use the enclosed boot.plist
4 CPUID*.kexts are not required anymore since rev 651. However, on my unit I found removing these kexts generated alot of random KP. Now I am using them again.
4 if there is a problem with reboot you can use EvOReboot.kext
5 try with your own risk!
6 thx to mowglibook and others for spearheading this project!

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Sorry, but VoodooHDA made Slice + patch Aikidoka25. OK)))(thanx aikidoka thanx slice ,may be w/o name? )
@aikidoka look at VoodooHD2.61. Slice wrote you on insanelymac.com

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@andnet
I believe we need to specifically put the names - not to signify that they created the kexts but to specify that they are the ones who customized the kexts for the HP Mini 311. That way, it becomes less of a headache to track who to ask when we want to find out more details on the customized kexts.

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
OK may be u right

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Just want to share this little AppleScript app I've been using:

Alter EFI v1.4

Update [07.15.10]: v1.4 available with
- new method of creating Extensions.mkext in EFI/Extra/Extensions for option "Edit kexts"; a combination of /E/E + /S/L/E. This should solve "blank screen on wake during graphical boot mode" issue, kindly please test.
IMPORTANT: please uninstall CHUD (use CHUD Remover tool) before making and using a /E/E + /S/L/E Extensions.mkext using this Alter EFI version. This is to avoid conflict with VoodooHDA.kext.
- Permissions settings for EFI files and folders scheme retained from v1.3.
- New application icon.
NOTE: You can transfer VoodooHDA from /S/L/E to /EFI/Extra/Extensions/, rebuild Extensions.mkext with this new Alter EFI v1.4. Since this cache includes both kexts from /E/E as well as /S/L/E, VoodooHDA's dependency kexts are gonna be loaded, hence allowing the latter to load as well.
Again, Alter EFI is saved as "application - read only" because it seems to behave better that way. The source script is included in the .zip file, along with the app itself, for your reference.

Update: v1.3 available with additional permissions sorting - copy+paste, delete files inside specific EFI folders. I think I may have lost the source script, will make it available when I locate a copy or when I'm able to recreate it - whichever comes first.

The base script is coded by Kappy (your brilliant work is a lifesaver; thanks very much :)).

Hence this is a version 1.2 with some customizations to suit my preferences (auto opens specific EFI directory, simple EFI disk not found error handling)

A similar (and more polished) app has already been released/created by Dalton at the InsanelyWind forums but this one differs in the way it creates the Extensions.mkext - Dalton's "UpdateEFI" creates a kextcache from /E/E and /S/L/E.

Also this one has option for mounting EFI and unmounting it without recreating kextcache - useful for when one only wants to edit plists, not kexts.

New look for Alter EFI v1.4:

Attached Files

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Just want to share this little AppleScript app I've been using:

Alter EFI

The original is made by Kappy (your brilliant work is a lifesaver; thanks very much :)) - which is available for download at the HP Mini 311 Google Code site.

Hence this is a version 1.2 with some customizations to suit my preferences (auto opens specific EFI directory, simple EFI disk not found error handling)

A similar (and more polished) app has already been released/created by Dalton at the InsanelyWind forums but this one differs in the way it creates the Extensions.mkext - Dalton's "UpdateEFI" creates a kextcache from /E/E and /S/L/E.

Also this one has option for mounting EFI and unmounting it without recreating kextcache - useful for when one only wants to edit plists, not kexts.

PS. The applet is saved as Run Only not to keep the code secret to the community; just that as it's not all my own, I can only post parts that I did add myself - but then that wouldn't make much sense, right? :)

This what it looks like:

May I request you include the AppleScript source so others could modify it for their own specific needs or to improve the existing code/features?

I started this little script because I could not find Dalton's source nor would he ever reply to my request for it if he was willing to make it public. So I decided we should have our own public utility. It would please me if we could keep it that way. Besides, this will help me with my AppleScript coding.

Thanks from Kappy

PS: I do not need to be given any credit since most of the code I also adopted from elsewhere. Anyone who does change the code is welcome to take credit for their efforts. I do not claim any rights to any of the code that I wrote. This utility should be entirely public domain.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
attached below is the modified script.
:)
- sorry for the glitch; i hadn't zipped it when i first tried to attach

Also, here are more details on the changes:
- in Edit Kexts mode, /EFI/Extra/Extensions changes permissions to allow user to delete kexts via Finder but still require admin password => fix for "You do not have enough authorization blah blah" error message, which would otherwise require sudoing in Terminal to rm -rf the specific kext one wants to delete entirely from EFI
- accordingly, in Edit Others mode, /EFI/Extra/Extensions changes to root:wheel to prevent user from deleting kexts in that directory.
- opens Finder at /EFI/Extra in Edit Others mode
- opens Finder at /EFI/Extra/Extensions in Edit kexts mode
- if system finds that EFI is already mounted (just in case) the applet's workflow would eventually unmount it as user reruns it.
Bug: sometimes the system says it can't find the EFI disk (error 1) but still mounts EFI anyway.
Workaround (still sloppy): What I did is add an error handler for this - the app suggests to the user to rerun it and when that happens, user clicks OK, EFI is unmounted and user is prompted to re-run app.

May I request you include the AppleScript source so others could modify it for their own specific needs or to improve the existing code/features?

I started this little script because I could not find Dalton's source nor would he ever reply to my request for it if he was willing to make it public. So I decided we should have our own public utility. It would please me if we could keep it that way. Besides, this will help me with my AppleScript coding.

Thanks from Kappy

PS: I do not need to be given any credit since most of the code I also adopted from elsewhere. Anyone who does change the code is welcome to take credit for their efforts. I do not claim any rights to any of the code that I wrote. This utility should be entirely public domain.

Attached Files

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

attached below is the modified script.
:)
- sorry for the glitch; i hadn't zipped it when i first tried to attach

Also, here are more details on the changes:
- in Edit Kexts mode, /EFI/Extra/Extensions changes permissions to allow user to delete kexts via Finder but still require admin password => fix for "You do not have enough authorization blah blah" error message, which would otherwise require sudoing in Terminal to rm -rf the specific kext one wants to delete entirely from EFI
- accordingly, in Edit Others mode, /EFI/Extra/Extensions changes to root:wheel to prevent user from deleting kexts in that directory.
- opens Finder at /EFI/Extra in Edit Others mode
- opens Finder at /EFI/Extra/Extensions in Edit kexts mode
- if system finds that EFI is already mounted (just in case) the applet's workflow would eventually unmount it as user reruns it.
Bug: sometimes the system says it can't find the EFI disk (error 1) but still mounts EFI anyway.
Workaround (still sloppy): What I did is add an error handler for this - the app suggests to the user to rerun it and when that happens, user clicks OK, EFI is unmounted and user is prompted to re-run app.

Nice additions. I had thought about those but wasn't quite sure how to get it done. I had written a routine for picking files to open or save but did not follow through incorporating it in any way. I also ran into the EFI disk error but have no idea why it occurs.

Anyway, thanks for the source code. I'm sure it will be educational.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Speedstepping is reported to be not working with CPUIDOverride + CPUIDSymbols + AppleIntelCPUPwrMgmt.

So for the GA release, unless we can get SpeedStep via DSDT patch or this source from MyDellMini. I think we're going back to Disabler + VoodooPowerMini + SleepEnabler.

This will entail separate dsdt mod for N270 and N280 which are the main Atom specs for the Mini 311.

- Scratch this one. We've brilliantly working SpeedStep which can be detected better by MSR Tools.

What do you guys think?

icemank121

icemank121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Speedstep works great for me, goes from 50% to %100 speed based on usage, laptop is cooler as well since i overclock.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
^Oh right! It's MSR Tools where SpeedStep is detected - not cpu-x right?

Confirmed: MSR Tools detects SpeedStep.

icemank121

icemank121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Yep.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Confirmed: MSR Tools detects SpeedStep.

True MSR Tools detects SpeedStep as does CPU-X. However, the latter reports an error in the CPU speed if SpeedStep is not working.

In my tests just now I removed VooDooPowerMini.kext. MSR Tools reports that SpeedStep is working, but the CPU's speed does not change. It remains constant. CPU-X reports the same result. I then replaced VooDooPowerMini.kext in /S/L/E and rebooted. MSR Tools reports SpeedStep is working AND shows that the CPU speed changes during idle from 100% to 60%. CPU-X reports the same results.

My conclusion is that with HF5RC2 SpeedStep is not working as expected and VooDooPowerMini.kext is required for SpeedStep to function normally.

Now, I don't know if this is due to a problem with dsdt.aml or due to something else. I do have an N280 model. I don't know if the dsdt.aml include with HF5RC2 is designed for the N270 or the N280.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I'm trying to get C States to work, if anyone interested in helping me...

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo
You sould not have any result, since they don't work. If you do please report

And dump your SSDT using DSDTSE

Linux User users might Dump their ACPI tables, using ACPIDump (or everest on Win)

That should dump the N270's CST (C States)
sudo acpidump -a 0x6FD96E10 -l 0x000001C1
sudo acpidump -a 0x6FD95F10 -l 0x00000083

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Done, Cstates working, better performance and hopefully, a few more minutes of battery life.
This DSDT is based on Atom N270 SSDT, I'm not sure whether it works on N280. Testers needed.

Attached Files

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
@Lemaurien19
VoodooPower+ is best for Mini now then CPUiO+ ApplePower+
1. Very hot chipset...(may be dsdt,may be kexts)
2.Time 2,7 and with VoodooPower 3,5
3. wake Sleep may work or may not
4. Speedstep work good but many questions
5. Any time i have KP (in 2 day)
I think its early yet. VoodooPower+ is stability and work good for Mini

Thanx Mowglibook i test today your dsdt on 270 with H14 bios

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@andnet
You have a point. For the GA release, it's better to go with VoodooPowerMini and then let's continue working on vanilla Apple Power Management on the side - who knows, that might be ready for HF6...

I'd need a vote on which kexts to retain for HF5; we've recently had quite some progress with new kexts for the 311.

For sure, VoodooPowerMini will be restored

1. VoodooHDA v2.6 in /S/L/E - or do you think we should go back with AppleHDA 10.6.2?
2. VoodooPS2Controller/AppleACPIPS2Nub patched by poogyhairguy, or do we restore ApplePS2Controller/AppeACPIPS2Nub from HF4?

The new dsdt (pre-Cstates mod by MowgliBook, I think should be included as it's updated with Bios F.14 in mind.

@MowgliBook
Here are the N280 extracts via DSDTSE - I included both SSDT and DSDT:

Attached Files

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
@LeMaurien
VoodooHDA 261 is best and i think Slice + aikidoka make HDMI in next time(slice work and on another notebook HDMI sound work very good with voodoo261)
VoodooPS2 may be or may be not. And Voodoo and applePS2 work good for me.
@dotch
another thread

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Done, Cstates working, better performance and hopefully, a few more minutes of battery life.
This DSDT is based on Atom N270 SSDT, I'm not sure whether it works on N280. Testers needed.

Installed it in my N280 model. Seems to work fine. In fact sleep and awake from sleep appear to work without KP both from Sleep menu and closing lid. So far nothing adverse to report. SleepEnabler.kext is presently installed in /E/E.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy