New GNOME Interface For SLED

johnniecarcinogen

5 posts in this topic

Novell has been doing usability tests with people in order to make a Linux distro for business as an alternative to Windows and has found that more people 'understand' how to use this model. Here is a screencast from madpenguin (great reviews btw).

http://madpenguin.org/images/reviews/sled1...d10desktop.html

And the pre-release site with free download and pics: http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/preview.html

I've been waiting for SLED to be released myself. I don't think it's too "Windowsy". More like Gnomish with a touch of OS X/KDE icons. What makes it a deal breaker is to first install an ATI card, then turn around and install an nVidia card without having to manually edit xorg.conf or getting kicked to shell. Whicjh reminds me, Linux NEEDS a safemode feature for busted video configuration.

ATM, quinn's compiz packages are on top, which I think has more features than what SLED runs. I hope we can use the the beerorkid repo instead and not break anyting.

Oh, on a separate note, this is a unlimited pre-release right? I can upgrade to future version without buying it? from what I understand, buying the cd media includes the non-free applications like media codecs and such. Anyone with half a brain can install those separately.

Very interesting! I hope some of those UI improvements (and there were a lot of them) make it into other mainstream distros.

UI improvements are the least of Linux's worries. I think it needs to get a grip on user friendliness. I had to install cups-pdf in Dapper today. A very simple 4 step process. I bet the average Joe would not be able to do it. What I don't understand is why it wasn't included in any Distro. Devs want to work on fspot, which i think isn't enough to compel people to use Linux.

I test it on SLED RC3 and this is awesome for “mice” guys

I don't like that:

- on my PC is not as fast as I want to. Opening "more applications" take second to load

- it is not keyboard friendly. When I want open terminal I must

Alt+F1 (this open computer menu)

TAB

TAB

arrow down

arrow down

arrow down (now I am on more applications button)

enter (second to load)

type "termi"

TAB

TAB

TAB

TAB (I am on gnome terminal app)

Enter (uff we are there)

I just compile Deskbar for gnome 2.12 and use it instead

Alt+F3

type "ter"

arrow up

enter