Email from Macsoft regarding Halo UB!

jouissance

29 posts in this topic

Hi Brady,

Just so you know, making a UB of Halo is a lot of trouble. We're doing it anyway because we love the game. However, because it is really difficult to do, it's taking a long time. I don't have an estimated release time as a result. Hopefully we'll have something soon.

Thanks,

Greg Grimes

MacSoft Technical Support

Ah well. If it's here by the end of the year I'll be happy. I'm also anxious for Shapeshifter and Sixtyforce to go x86...that'll be exciting.

Awesome - thanks for the update! But how much trouble can it be? (I know it's not easy, but is it really that bad with games?)

In another E-Mail I read they said that they had to do a lot of re-porting, that takes a lot of time I guess :whistle:

Awesome - thanks for the update! But how much trouble can it be? (I know it's not easy, but is it really that bad with games?)

The short answer...yes.

The long answer...games such as Halo and even Sims 2 used a proprietary coding method that isn't CodeWarrior or XCode (this is done to satisfy the game mechanisms). Developing these projects for Intel Macs could require a complete recoding of the game in order to meet XCode.

Furthermore, porting it from XBOX was already an undertaking (this is evidenced by the ridiculous system requirements). Porting it again will a.) probably make system reqs even higher, and b.) require some of them to learn x86 assembly language, since I doubt a company called MacSoft had much use for x86 assembly before the Intel Macs came out :D

I think we'd be doing pretty well if we got it by December. I wonder if they'll port Halo 2 at any point...I know it was only announced for Vista, but the first one wasn't even announced for PC until nine or ten months after the XBOX version came out, so maybe there's a chance...

Do you think a Universal version of Halo will run alright on my MacBook (2GHz, 2GB RAM)? It's playable in Rosetta, but not great. Same with UT2004, though I haven't tried the Universal version yet. Will there be a significant improvement when using Universal versions of games? Quake III runs great, but I had the PPC version. I just hope my MacBook can run these games - it runs Half-Life 2 just great :happymac: so I figure these others won't be a problem.

How can anyone like Halo. It is retarded. Its just a stupid shooter, I mean HL2 is so much better than it

How can anyone like Halo. It is retarded. Its just a stupid shooter, I mean HL2 is so much better than it

Agreed. I remeber playing Halo at a friend's house back in November 14th of 2001 when it was released, and then played Half Life 2 when it was released a couple of days later, and I thought the exact same thing. Yeah, Halo had vehicles, but everything else about it sucked. It was really hard for me to believe that Halo, with its simplistic graphics/physics/gameplay/multiplayer/story/etc, was released the same week of the same month of the same year as Half Life 2. In fact, Half Life 2 seemed like it was 3 years ahead of its time in almost every aspect compared to all the other FPS games at the time. Valve really is at the vanguard of innovation when it comes to FPS games.

Agreed. I remeber playing Halo at a friend's house back in November 14th of 2001 when it was released, and then played Half Life 2 when it was released a couple of days later, and I thought the exact same thing. Yeah, Halo had vehicles, but everything else about it sucked. It was really hard for me to believe that Halo, with its simplistic graphics/physics/gameplay/multiplayer/story/etc, was released the same week of the same month of the same year as Half Life 2. In fact, Half Life 2 seemed like it was 3 years ahead of its time in almost every aspect compared to all the other FPS games at the time. Valve really is at the vanguard of innovation when it comes to FPS games.

Errr wasn't HL2 released in novembre 2004 ?

I hate to be a party pooper, but I don't really like FPS games to start with... I had HL2 and Doom 3 installed on my PC just after I got my last new graphics card just so I could see how pretty they were with all the graphics options turned up (mmmm... 8xAA 16xAF 1280x1024 high detail... it's like being there!) but I think they're pretty dull, derivative shooters... I liked Halo because it had a reasonable story and was biassed more toward single player (though I got bored with the flood and going back and forth through the same maps in the end) but then, I'm not much of a multiplayer FPS fan (aside from a nice bit of original UT headshot tournament :)). I figure if I'm going to play a game with other people over the 'net I'd prefer to be talking to them than trying to blow their heads off, but that's just the kind of person I am. Speaking of Halo, Halo 2 looks pretty, even on the 5 year old XBox :D But it seems a lot harder than Halo 1, which I had no troble completing on legendary... When's it gonna get ported?!

I guess I should stop moaning, actually, since the reason I bought an XBox 360 was so I wouldn't have to wait for years before console games get ported to other platforms.

the only thing halo has going for it is the multiplayer part. the storyline is boring and the maps are ungodly hideous. on the other hand valve places too much emphasis on their maps making them much better suited to produce things like portal, which is a briliant take on the tech developed in prey.

the only thing halo has going for it is the multiplayer part.

Heh, mutliplayer is actually the thing I hate the most about Halo 1.

Ridiculously unbalanced weapons (mainly the pistol) and poorly designed multiplayer maps (mainly the spawn points)...

Note : Not being sarcastic this time.

Ridiculously unbalanced weapons (mainly the pistol) and poorly designed multiplayer maps (mainly the spawn points)...

i didnt have a problem w/ multiplayer halo per se (atleast nothing that can be attributed to the software developer/marketer).... ofcourse, when 7 56k players join a game you are playing in... well thats a different story

+ the unbalanced weapons were also present in the sp campaign...

Most likely no, because Custom edition isn't supported by Bungie, Gearbox, or Mircosoft. Gearbox came up with the CE idea, but they don't support it because you customize it all the time, which means how many shaders there are, what shaders are running, sounds, and weapons.Only thing not really changed in CE, is the Halo engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Halo. But the damn ping times are terrible. Its sorry M$ networking at its best. Doom3 pings 30ms. Halo pings 200ms. What is up with that {censored}?

I like Halo. But the damn ping times are terrible. Its sorry M$ networking at its best. Doom3 pings 30ms. Halo pings 200ms. What is up with that {censored}?

For Halo Demo, my ping times are generally 67-100ms, I've got Cable internet though.

For Halo Demo, my ping times are generally 67-100ms, I've got Cable internet though.

Yea, I do too. 4.5mbits up/down. Some (very few) will ping < 80. Most ping 150 -> 200.