Quick and Dirty Snow Leopard (10.6.3) on ThinkPad T500

47 posts in this topic

I did it without another mac. Only additional stuff I needed was a working Leopard installation on a USB disk. iDeneb 1.3 works well for me on the T500 from USB.

then just closely follow the guide. After that I used the official 10.6.4 comboupdate - no mac required.

Hey. thanks for the info, can you give me a little more information on how you did it? or what guide you used thats specific for it.

So it should be iDeneb v1.3 for sure? Thats OS X 10.5.5 (can i even update to 10.6.4 since i only have 10.5.5 installed?)

Thanks

Hey. thanks for the info, can you give me a little more information on how you did it? or what guide you used thats specific for it.

So it should be iDeneb v1.3 for sure? Thats OS X 10.5.5 (can i even update to 10.6.4 since i only have 10.5.5 installed?)

Thanks

everything required is mentioned in the first post of this thread. if the link is not working, google for it's adress and you will find the proper article. No it doesn't neet to be iDeneb v1.3 - you just need a working Leopard installation to install snowleopard (as is also mentioned in the guid linked in the first post of this thread). I just mentioned iDeneb v1.3 here because this one worked for me with the T500

//edit:

so what I did:

I have a dualboot Win7 + snow-leopard -> i have two primary partitions - one NTFS (active) for Win7 and one HFS+. The harddisk has MBR partition scheme, not GPT. Win 7 was already installed on the NTFS partition

1. install iDeneb v.1.3 onto the USB disk

2. In Leopard (booted from USB) I got the SnowLeopard 10.6 disk image mentioned in the linked guide. Because I have MBR partition scheme and not GPT, I had to replace one file in the diskimage (this file is also provided in the linked guide!) - to do so one can convert the dmg file with Disk Utility into a Read/Writable disk image. You don't have to replace this file if you have GPT partition scheme

3. Installed SnowLeopard onto my HFS+ partition by doubleclicking the image file and then procede as described in the first post of this thread!

4. As mentioned in the first post, instead of installing Chameleon I installed the linked AsereBLN bootloader. If you have Win7 Dualboot, you do this by: writing boot1h into the bootsector of the HFS+ partition by executing something like

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY

(replace X and Y with proper values for your HFS+ partition). and then you need to copy the boot_with_theme_or_something_like_this contained in the AsereBLN to the root of your HFS+ partition and rename it to "boot". Last step is to use EasyBCD under Win 7 to add a MacOSX boot option[/size]

5. now you should be able to boot into SnowLeopard from the Win7 bootloader. If you get a kernel-panic at startup, you maybe have ATI graphics activated. Go to the BIOS and change the Display setting to "integrated graphics".

6. you can update to 10.6.4 with the official combo update

7. If you want to get ATI graphics working, do the steps i described in another post in this thread

1. install iDeneb v.1.3 onto the USB disk

2. In Leopard (booted from USB) I got the SnowLeopard 10.6 disk image mentioned in the linked guide. Because I have MBR partition scheme and not GPT, I had to replace one file in the diskimage (this file is also provided in the linked guide!) - to do so one can convert the dmg file with Disk Utility into a Read/Writable disk image. You don't have to replace this file if you have GPT partition scheme

3. Installed SnowLeopard onto my HFS+ partition by doubleclicking the image file and then procede as described in the first post of this thread!

Sorry, I have a couple questions.

How do I copy these folders into the image file? In the guides on first post etc, it shows me doing a 'cd' command into the folders with the files needed to be copied over, but thats with another mac. Doing a cd users/name/downloads/osx86/extra doesnt work if you dont have another mac because you dont have an hfs partition that can be accessed like that, the files i download will be on my windows partition which i cant get from the os x installer terminal

1. Install iDeneb v1.3 onto USB

-I downloaded OSX 10.6.2 image, 4.5 gb (ISO file), I tried just installing it with chameleon boot loader and when it finished installing, rebooted it would like freeze or something, never boot up (even with graphics set to integrated), should I forget this image and download iDeneb v1.3?

2. So your saying I need a leopard image, and then also a snow leopard image (if so, should the snow leopard img be an ISO or a DMG file). Also do I need MBR if i have windows 7 dual booting or is it optional?

3. Where do I double click this image file? (in os x leopard installer?)

4. What is a vanilla install? Does that mean the image has to be an unmodified OS X install cd (ex. retail?)

Okay, forget that again...

I installed iDeneb v1.3 onto my T500 no issues. So from their I was able to follow the guide, because I used that install as the "borrowed mac".

I ran all the cmds, restored my .dmg image from OS X i got off torrent to usb, and all that. I booted from USB, ran the install (I had no mouse working for install, but tab + enter and space bar got me to the end), I installed it over my iDeneb 1.3 Leopard partition that I used to make the edits to the USB.

It completed successfully, restarted and then it said something about a boot error, it didnt boot into a special boot loader, just went to say something like

boot0

boot from mbr

some error, then would restart.

So I booted from USB again, and there is a boot menu in the usb (with My Windows 7, OSX, and OSX (I named my usb and my partitoin on my pc the same). So I choose the first OSX (the Snow Leopard) and it just never loads, the circle keeps spinning and spinning. If i boot from the usb menu -x (safe mode), I see the little loading bar under for 20 seconds, it gets to about 1/3 way and then dissapears and never loads.

Any suggestions?

Okay, forget that again...

I installed iDeneb v1.3 onto my T500 no issues. So from their I was able to follow the guide, because I used that install as the "borrowed mac".

I ran all the cmds, restored my .dmg image from OS X i got off torrent to usb, and all that. I booted from USB, ran the install (I had no mouse working for install, but tab + enter and space bar got me to the end), I installed it over my iDeneb 1.3 Leopard partition that I used to make the edits to the USB.

It completed successfully, restarted and then it said something about a boot error, it didnt boot into a special boot loader, just went to say something like

boot0

boot from mbr

some error, then would restart.

So I booted from USB again, and there is a boot menu in the usb (with My Windows 7, OSX, and OSX (I named my usb and my partitoin on my pc the same). So I choose the first OSX (the Snow Leopard) and it just never loads, the circle keeps spinning and spinning. If i boot from the usb menu -x (safe mode), I see the little loading bar under for 20 seconds, it gets to about 1/3 way and then dissapears and never loads.

Any suggestions?

boot with -v to check what's the problem. then boot with -v -x to check what's the problem in safe mode.

Actually I'm surprised that you can boot snow-leopard from the USB darvin. I thoght darwin can boot only from partitions on the same harddisk.

Did you install the AsereBLN bootloader as advised in this thread?

boot with -v to check what's the problem. then boot with -v -x to check what's the problem in safe mode.

Actually I'm surprised that you can boot snow-leopard from the USB darvin. I thoght darwin can boot only from partitions on the same harddisk.

Did you install the AsereBLN bootloader as advised in this thread?

yes i ran these cmds.

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9

ii. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk4

iii. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk4s2

iv. cd /Volume/OSX86

v. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Booter_AsereBLN_1.1.9/boot .

(why is there a period at the end of every cp line?)

The boot loader on the USB is Chameleon v2 (i dont know why its on there, I thought the usb was just supposed to be the install CD)

I booted in -v -x and it looked like this, i waited 5-10 min on this line before calling it quits.

2rzx43l.jpg

I havent booted in just -v yet.

Oh, and on the usb boot loader it says Chameleon v2 RC4 something something - Azere somethin somthing..

Hey I tried installing OSX on my T500 1 year ago, complete failure but I thought I would try again.

Thanks for the little tut here, but I have 1 question right now. Can I use any 10.6.3 copy (that you may find on 'websites') or is there a specific release i need? I found a 10.6.2 , its for PC, im not really up to date on all the iAtkos and iPC and all those groups so I dont know if I need a specific one or just any will do.

Thanks, also I have ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, will I be able to use 1680 x 1080 or close resolution?

This was the info posted on the DL.

Is it good to try?

Well, I always used vanilla OSX DVD copy, original 10.6.0. Restored it to USB flash, added bootloader and /Extra, booted from it, installed OSX, and then upgraded to the latest version (10.6.4) at the moment. There are plenty of guides on how to do it.

Well, I always used vanilla OSX DVD copy, original 10.6.0. Restored it to USB flash, added bootloader and /Extra, booted from it, installed OSX, and then upgraded to the latest version (10.6.4) at the moment. There are plenty of guides on how to do it.

yeah I got it working. I followed KBosselmans post going down the list and it worked finally.

although i dont think my graphics is working because I ran the pfix cmd and it only lets me put it to 1280 x 800 or whatever it is and theres no higher res options.. i removed ati kext like it said in kbosselmans post and ran pfix like so.

cd /Volumes/OSX86/Extra

then

./pfix –t /Volumes/OSX86

and

./pfix –t /Volumes/SNOW (snow is my new 10.6 partition that is installed), my ethernet works, sound works, mouse, just crappy 1280x800 resolution, I enabled discrete graphics in the bios

I have the ATI Radeon HD Mobility 3650

Also, to complete the install I just used iDeneb v1.3 which had 10.5.5 Leopard, then used the disk utility and terminal to do all the cmds, rather than get another mac.

Finally, i cant boot without putting my USB stick in, then hitting f12 on startup then choose the usb, then it goes into chameleon boot loader where I see all my partitions on my hard drive, how do I get it to work without the USB?

I have the ATI Radeon HD Mobility 3650

From what I know, ATI should be working just fine. There are plenty of solutions, one of them is RadeonHD.kext, a project by some forum members, which provides pretty good support. A little patience, and you will find something.

Finally, i cant boot without putting my USB stick in, then hitting f12 on startup then choose the usb, then it goes into chameleon boot loader where I see all my partitions on my hard drive, how do I get it to work without the USB?

You need to install bootloader on to your HDD. I've described how to do it my DSDT guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

Check it out, it's rather easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, everything works except for the video.

Ive tried RadeonHD.kext , didnt work and couldnt boot up (got that 'you need to reboot' error in different languages).

I tried some old Radeon driver package where it installs for you. I booted, it worked I could tell the resolution was different, however when I booted it would bring me to a login page for my user account istead of going in automatically and no matter what password I typed it would start to login (the login box would go away and then 2 seconds later would come up again), and if i typed the WRONG password it would shake the box like its supposed to when you enter an incorrect password.

Basically, everything works except for the video.

Ive tried RadeonHD.kext , didnt work and couldnt boot up (got that 'you need to reboot' error in different languages).

I tried some old Radeon driver package where it installs for you. I booted, it worked I could tell the resolution was different, however when I booted it would bring me to a login page for my user account istead of going in automatically and no matter what password I typed it would start to login (the login box would go away and then 2 seconds later would come up again), and if i typed the WRONG password it would shake the box like its supposed to when you enter an incorrect password.

Did you remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext from the kexts before you added RadeonHD.kext and then cleared the kext caches by running

sudo -s
/Extra/pfix -t /

this is necessary!

Last login: Sun Oct 17 08:12:18 on console

craig-pc:~ craig$ sudo -s /Extra/pfix -t /

Password:

/bin/bash: /Extra/pfix: No such file or directory

craig-pc:~ craig$ /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/pfix -t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myHack pfix v3.0 Copyright © 2009-2010 SojuGarden.com. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on

1) /dev/disk0s4 33G 9.9G 23G 31% /

2) /dev/disk0s5 33G 11G 22G 34% /Volumes/LEOPARD

3) /dev/disk1s1 8.1G 6.7G 1.4G 83% /Volumes/OSX86

4) Quit without running pfix.

Select the volume you want to run pfix on: 1

Running pfix v3.0 on ROOT VOLUME : /

BEGIN LOG Sun 17 Oct 2010 08:29:35 PDT

Setting ownership in /Extra to root:wheel...

chown: /Extra: No such file or directory

Done.

Setting permissions in /Extra to 755...

chmod: /Extra: No such file or directory

Done.

Setting ownership in /System/Library/Extensions to root:wheel...

Done.

Setting permissions in /System/Library/Extensions to 755...

Done.

pfix running on OS X version 10.6 "Snow Leopard", building kext caches.

Running diskutil repairPermissions...

This will take a few minutes...Please be patient!

Done.

Regenerating system caches...

Removing old caches...

Making sure root is owner of root...

Update system prelinked kernel cache...

Update system kext info caches for the root volume...

Building new system Extensions.mkext...

Done.

Removing old extra Extensions.mkext...

Building new extra Extensions.mkext...

Done.

Process complete you may reboot now.

END LOG Sun 17 Oct 2010 08:33:53 PDT

Didnt work, I rebooted in discrete mode, my boot loader is on the usb stick so I booted from USB, then chose SNOW partition. Then got that error to reboot in 10 languages.

Dangit!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have installed 10.6.6 on Thinkpad T500 2082-52G with Radeon HD 3650 mobility 9591, Intel GMA 4500 MHD, Intel 5300 AGN WLAN.

Both graphic cards are using software render. Sound works.

On 10.5.8 the Intel 5300 was not supported but there was pkg setup for the ATI card.

Can I use 10.5.x files (kext, pkg) in 10.6.x ?

How to setup energy profiles as under Windows with settings for example fan, cpu clock?

Should I install all kext from first post?

While booting the monitor brightness (background light) drops down. I can not change it with FN+Home/End (Pos1/Ende) - but in the past it worked.

Hello,

I have installed 10.6.6 on Thinkpad T500 2082-52G with Radeon HD 3650 mobility 9591, Intel GMA 4500 MHD, Intel 5300 AGN WLAN.

Both graphic cards are using software render. Sound works.

On 10.5.8 the Intel 5300 was not supported but there was pkg setup for the ATI card.

Can I use 10.5.x files (kext, pkg) in 10.6.x ?

How to setup energy profiles as under Windows with settings for example fan, cpu clock?

Should I install all kext from first post?

While booting the monitor brightness drops down. I can not change it with FN+page up/down - but in the past it worked.

Check out RadeonHD.kext, it should work for you (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586), don't use pkg from 10.5. It might work, but it also might break your setup.

There's no way to use Windows energy profiles with OSX, but there's now a great DSDT hack how to control fan speed. Check our this thread: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=91141

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply Silencers,

another situation: What to do if I installed OS X 10.5.8 iDeneb to get the graphic card working?

The are some pkg installers but "OpenGL Extensions Viewer" show that it use "Software Render" at all.

Does my graphic card work on both, 10.5.8 and 10.6.6 with hardware acceleration?

Should I use the older 10.5.8 or 10.6.6 ?

Is it possible to install Mac on a MBR disk?

And why is it not possible to resize existing partitions (ntfs) at setup - I'm only able to create new layout by format existing?

Thanks.

Does my graphic card work on both, 10.5.8 and 10.6.6 with hardware acceleration?

Should I use the older 10.5.8 or 10.6.6 ?

Is it possible to install Mac on a MBR disk?

And why is it not possible to resize existing partitions (ntfs) at setup - I'm only able to create new layout by format existing?

Too many questions :gun:

You should use 10.6.6 no matter what, there are different methods how to make video work there, just need to read more threads. I suggest to remove 10.5.8 and start with 10.6 from scratch.

Yes, it is possible to install OSX on MBR. Look for the info.

NTFS resizing can only be done from Windows. Don't try to do it in OSX.

I have 3 discs, 1 CD-RW with empire efi, 1 DVD+RW with OSX 10.6 Retail and 1 DVD+R with 10.5.8 iDeneb which I sounldn't use.

I read, that I have to replace a file on the 10.6 DVD to be able to install on MBR because original setup refuses this.

A special situation is how to reinstall OSX without repartition full hdd.

Is it possible to format the hfs+ formatted partition and install OSX and windows vista / seven still working?

I read, that I have to replace a file on the 10.6 DVD to be able to install on MBR because original setup refuses this.

You need to restore retail 10.6 image to a USB stick and then replace files there. You can also start with this linke http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

A special situation is how to reinstall OSX without repartition full hdd.

Is it possible to format the hfs+ formatted partition and install OSX and windows vista / seven still working?

It is possible, but it is a bit tricky. You need to make OSX partition an active partition from Windows and then install OSX there. Or you can do it from OSX (with Chameleon installer or whatever), but Windows 7 won't be booting, until you boot with Win7 DVD and go to console and deactivate Windows partition with DISKPART command-line tool. It's not very complicated, but it's also not straight-forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I partition the HDD as followed (MBR). Then I installed OS X setup to my 500GB USB HDD (GUID) and patched the two files.

The great: setup loads fast.

2-4 extended Partition

1. SERVICE003 1,5GB primary (factory install, active, boot loader)

2. SW_Preload (Vista) 35GB logical (factory install)

3. Seven 30GB logical

4. Data 48,7GB logical

5. HFS+ 35GB primary (don't know if OS X accepting logical)

6. Lenovo 9,8GB primary (factory install)

To load setup I boot with -v -x with EmpireEFI.

When I try to format 5th with disk utility partition I got the following message: "Could not modify partition map".

And setup only marks the setup partition itself with green check.

To load setup I boot with -v -x with EmpireEFI.

When I try to format 5th with disk utility partition I got the following message: "Could not modify partition map".

And setup only marks the setup partition itself with green check.

I usually formatted the partition with FAT32 before installing OSX, then Disk Utility was able to reformat it without any problems.

• 4 years later...