"Select Destination" is blank

OUT FOX EM

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm just overlooking something simple here but when I put the 10.4.6 DVD in, I go through the Introduction and License part fine, but when I get to "Select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software" there are no partitions listed. I've tried all the diskpart steps found in this tutorial but it doesn't recognize it in OS X Setup. I also tried leaving it unallocated and using Disk Utility like this tutorial suggests, but it only sees my DVD drive.

I guess it's just not recognizing my HDD at all. Any thoughts on this?

The second issue seems trivial in comparison but both images I have for 10.4.6 show up as 10.4.4 in the OSX setup. If I go to Startup Disk it only shows my DVD drive and the disc listed is 10.4.4. Are the 10.4.6 images just patched 10.4.4 images? Or should it be showing up as 10.4.6? Thanks in advance.

I downloaded a 3rd image now for 10.4.6, the Goatsecx image, and it also registers at 10.4.4 so I guess that's normal.

If I go to System Profiler, under Serial ATA it says "No information found." Is that most likely a problem with the motherboard or the HDD? I have another hard drive I can put in too if need be.

I'm sure I'm just overlooking something simple here but when I put the 10.4.6 DVD in, I go through the Introduction and License part fine, but when I get to "Select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software" there are no partitions listed. I've tried all the diskpart steps found in this tutorial but it doesn't recognize it in OS X Setup. I also tried leaving it unallocated and using Disk Utility like this tutorial suggests, but it only sees my DVD drive.

I guess it's just not recognizing my HDD at all. Any thoughts on this?

The second issue seems trivial in comparison but both images I have for 10.4.6 show up as 10.4.4 in the OSX setup. If I go to Startup Disk it only shows my DVD drive and the disc listed is 10.4.4. Are the 10.4.6 images just patched 10.4.4 images? Or should it be showing up as 10.4.6? Thanks in advance.

Ok this is an easy one...

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ect+destination

When you get to the "select destination" screen, go to utilities, select disk utilities and do the erase thing like that link i posted says...

Ok this is an easy one...

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ect+destination

When you get to the "select destination" screen, go to utilities, select disk utilities and do the erase thing like that link i posted says...

Actually not quite so easy. I addressed that issue in my first post when I said only my DVD drive is listed. Thanks though.

List your sytem please. It could be that your sata controller may not be supported in OSX.

Well the computer is an off-the-shelf HP Pavilion m7463w, barely a few days old and I'm already trying to break it.

Here's what I know:

Intel D 930 3.00 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 x 2MB L2 Cache

Western Digital HDD 300GB/7200 RPM (Model No. WD3000JS)

2GB DDR2-533/PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM

nVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

As for the SATA controller, the Device Manager lists it as this:

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

Thanks for your insight.

• 3 years later...