• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I'm ready to test as well as soon as I return on Saturday and have access to the 311. I'm glad to do just that since mosslack has my 1201N working so well :( , I can spare the 311 to do nothing but test; time permitting of course!

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Has anyone tried the 0.8.4 RC2 version yet? I heard it was available but I don't have any details on it. Just thought maybe someone knew.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
haven't tried to but my discussions with meklort indicate that it wouldn't help much

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
This really isn't Mini 311 related, but I just updated my OCZ Neutrino to 10.6.4 with the help of Meklort's patched version of NBI. Followed the directions on his blog and for the most part it worked fine. Had a problem with VoodooHDA causing a KP after reboot, but that was solved by removing it from /S/L/E and then reinstalling after the update was complete. I do fear that VoodooHDA is not going to work for many more updates as each time it gets a little harder to get it installed after an update. JMHO

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

This really isn't Mini 311 related, but I just updated my OCZ Neutrino to 10.6.4 with the help of Meklort's patched version of NBI. Followed the directions on his blog and for the most part it worked fine. Had a problem with VoodooHDA causing a KP after reboot, but that was solved by removing it from /S/L/E and then reinstalling after the update was complete. I do fear that VoodooHDA is not going to work for many more updates as each time it gets a little harder to get it installed after an update. JMHO

Interesting! I've reinstalled OS X on the mini, but left it at 10.6.2 for now. I tried updating the 1201N and KP as well. Trying to boot to flash drive so that I can remove VoodooHDA is giving me a fit. It doesn't want to acknowledge the flash drive and boots right into OS X and subsequent kernel panic.

From everything I've read and seen, I believe you are correct on the VoodooHDA not being the answer we need with many more updates.

EDIT: Frustrated with the 1201N, I gave it to a needy friend! I'm going to stick with the more difficult 311!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Interesting! I've reinstalled OS X on the mini, but left it at 10.6.2 for now. I tried updating the 1201N and KP as well. Trying to boot to flash drive so that I can remove VoodooHDA is giving me a fit. It doesn't want to acknowledge the flash drive and boots right into OS X and subsequent kernel panic.

From everything I've read and seen, I believe you are correct on the VoodooHDA not being the answer we need with many more updates.

EDIT: Frustrated with the 1201N, I gave it to a needy friend! I'm going to stick with the more difficult 311!

Wow, what kind of problem was you having with the 1201N? That was probably the easiest of all my systems to update to 10.6.4. With my luck, when my new Mac mini arrives, I will probably have the most problems with it!

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Wow, what kind of problem was you having with the 1201N? That was probably the easiest of all my systems to update to 10.6.4. With my luck, when my new Mac mini arrives, I will probably have the most problems with it!

It was largely the inconsistency of functionality that I found frustrating. It was extremely hard to get it to boot to a USB external device for example, and I'm not sure why at all. I've not had that problem with the HP mini although it comes complete with many others. I'm currently struggling with setting up an external display for example. I'm still at 10.6.2 on it too and am considering starting again with a Mowglibook retail setup.

I doubt that mini will give you a problem at all, but I admit, that would certainly be funny! lol

phubai

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

It was largely the inconsistency of functionality that I found frustrating. It was extremely hard to get it to boot to a USB external device for example, and I'm not sure why at all. I've not had that problem with the HP mini although it comes complete with many others. I'm currently struggling with setting up an external display for example. I'm still at 10.6.2 on it too and am considering starting again with a Mowglibook retail setup.

I doubt that mini will give you a problem at all, but I admit, that would certainly be funny! lol

phubai

Sorry to hear of your problems with the 1201N. It does not like to boot from USB, that is for sure. But once I setup my 8 Gb SD card with Meklort's booter, it works fine to get the system operational when things go wrong with my main install on the hard drive. It's only 10.6.0, but that is all you really need to get into the system to fix things.

The mini still has not shipped, the curse of choosing the free shipping option I suppose. I was hoping to have it for the long weekend ahead, but that is looking less likely.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
short update - meklort has been difficult to contact lately which i'm guess is because...ready? he has a real life!

anyway, it does mean that mini 311 support is currently on hold.....unless someone who is terribly clever with dsdts comes along.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

short update - meklort has been difficult to contact lately which i'm guess is because...ready? he has a real life!

anyway, it does mean that mini 311 support is currently on hold.....unless someone who is terribly clever with dsdts comes along.

Yeah, I did see he updated his blog the other day, so that's something. As for your retail pack install guide you asked about on the support thread, I think Ingrid doesn't like to talk too much about that type of install on that thread as she has a guide to use EFI on her blog.

If it helps any, here is the readme file from his retail pack 0.7 which I use on my Mini 311:

Instructions

1- Install the bootloader (RC4 patched by meklort) included for hibernation, kernel patching, and many other fixes.
(Use Lizard to install Chameleon easily, and manage your Extra folder)

2- Copy the Extra folder to the root of your drive
use KextUtility to make the mkext (very important)

3- Install the kexts in the "kexts" folder using KextUtility

Optional Installs

BIOS update described in the "Read Me BIOS Flash"

French key layout in
/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Take my tip :
Use JuhOSX to hide the bootloader and Extra folder.
Use Lizard to Manage it.

Of course all of this is after you have SL installed on your hard drive, which by now most everyone knows how to do via a flash drive. HTH

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
yeah, i need the install broken down a bit more than that. are you talking about the mymacbookmini blog? if so, i see instructions for using HF4 but not the retail pack.

anyway, the directions for using the retail pack sound like shorthand to me. where does the 10.6 image go? how is it modified? is it even modified?? etc etc.

perhaps i use the bootloader to run the 10.6 installer, install it on my mini, then install the bootloader on the mini/10.6 install?

i guess we should move this conversation to the other thread

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

yeah, i need the install broken down a bit more than that. are you talking about the mymacbookmini blog? if so, i see instructions for using HF4 but not the retail pack.

anyway, the directions for using the retail pack sound like shorthand to me. where does the 10.6 image go? how is it modified? is it even modified?? etc etc.

perhaps i use the bootloader to run the 10.6 installer, install it on my mini, then install the bootloader on the mini/10.6 install?

i guess we should move this conversation to the other thread

Hang on, let me see if I can find one of my old guides for the Mini 311. I actually had the first flash drive install method for this system way back in the early days. But at the time, the thread was headed in the EFI direction so I removed my stuff. I don't like to step on people's toes too much. I will post a link shortly if I can find it.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
heh, i don't mean to step on anyone's toes or ask for anything that would cause someone else to.

the retail pack is the most up to date method of running os x on the mini 311, correct?

have all the latest updates been merged into an install process?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

heh, i don't mean to step on anyone's toes or ask for anything that would cause someone else to.

the retail pack is the most up to date method of running os x on the mini 311, correct?

have all the latest updates been merged into an install process?

Actually the one which is currently being used on the support thread is the EFI install by LeMaurien19. This is the most current up-to-date method out there. Perhaps the confusion is that she uses MowgliBook's retail pack 0.9 files in her install, but hers installs the files to the EFI partition. Her method is here:

http://mymacbookmini...-in-way-id.html

This uses the optical drive though, so maybe I'm not sure what you really want.a

EDIT: In case you do want a USB install using a flash drive, I found one of my old ones and it is available here:

http://www.mediafire...r0ez94ym8wzs63p

This is a complete installer with guide and will get you up to 10.6.2. The update to 10.6.4 should just involve changing the SleepEnabler.kext for the latest one. HTH

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I see Meklort's site is down again. I'm beginning to think we are chasing rainbows here on this thread. I don't even know what happened to the USB hard drive I had setup to run this, but I suppose it would not be difficult to setup another one.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I see Meklort's site is down again. I'm beginning to think we are chasing rainbows here on this thread. I don't even know what happened to the USB hard drive I had setup to run this, but I suppose it would not be difficult to setup another one.

And back up again it looks like. He had some hosting problems but NBI/NBM seems to be handling 10.5 seeds well. I'd still like to try to resolve the issues with the HP and NBI. For me at least, I think it's a better/simpler approach and has the potential to be useful to many.

pb

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

And back up again it looks like. He had some hosting problems but NBI/NBM seems to be handling 10.5 seeds well. I'd still like to try to resolve the issues with the HP and NBI. For me at least, I think it's a better/simpler approach and has the potential to be useful to many.

pb

if you'd like to help out just drop me a line. i worked with meklort to outline the main challenges to supporting the 311. they're not that bad, its just finding someone who has the knowledge and time. (unfortunately i lack the dsdt knowledge)

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

if you'd like to help out just drop me a line. i worked with meklort to outline the main challenges to supporting the 311. they're not that bad, its just finding someone who has the knowledge and time. (unfortunately i lack the dsdt knowledge)

I'm not that great with DSDT either, but what exactly did he say needed to be done to alter the current DSDT?

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
nbi/nbbm uses a system of patching the dsdt. i guess it CAN be fully replaced but thats not ideal. the dsdt we use is a long way from the built in dsdt.

if anyone is interested, pm me and i'll send you the rather long email thread.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

nbi/nbbm uses a system of patching the dsdt. i guess it CAN be fully replaced but thats not ideal. the dsdt we use is a long way from the built in dsdt.

if anyone is interested, pm me and i'll send you the rather long email thread.

pm sent

Thanks!

phubai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy