• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I'm really not certain why you're having that trouble. I don't have it any I followed the directions very closely and installed multiple times. I used HF5RC1 and haven't tried the newer versions since they don't appear to offer much as far as my needs are concerned.

I'm not sure either. I used the latest RC although there is no diff that would benefit me either. I'm up and it's running right now, but I had a KP when I left it while it was downloading Google Chrome. Subsequent restart tries, resulted in KP with varying errors. I left it off for 5 mins, came back started and it booted right up. I ran dmesg and the results were clean and not suggesting where the problem is. Anyhow, I apologize for being off-topic, but I'll be checking back here at least daily.

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I'm running MowgliBook's retail pack 07 and mine is working great with the possible exception of sleep. I just don't care for EFI installs, I like to be able to easily make changes if need be. Of course I still have the NBI setup on a USB drive for when meklort decides to jump back in.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I'm running MowgliBook's retail pack 07 and mine is working great with the possible exception of sleep. I just don't care for EFI installs, I like to be able to easily make changes if need be. Of course I still have the NBI setup on a USB drive for when meklort decides to jump back in.

If I were to try that, it would be best to reformat and start from scratch, right? Any remnants of the EFI install I'd have to take extra care to remove?

I think I'll do that right now. I'd like to see how that does until we here from meklort again.

Thanks!

pb

tomtempest

tomtempest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
@phubai

I don't think it is necessary to reformat, just if you want to get rid of the EFI-Partition.

My setup is using NBI as well and I now use only the extensions like MowgliBook's.

I try to keep the S/L/Extensions folder clean, only VoodooHDA is there at the moment.

Good luck

Tom

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

If I were to try that, it would be best to reformat and start from scratch, right? Any remnants of the EFI install I'd have to take extra care to remove?

I think I'll do that right now. I'd like to see how that does until we here from meklort again.

Thanks!

pb

I used UpdateEFI to get rid of all my EFI stuff, a reformat won't do it unless you repartition the entire drive. The reformat will just erase the partition you installed SL on, the EFI partition is actually separate. HTH

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I used UpdateEFI to get rid of all my EFI stuff, a reformat won't do it unless you repartition the entire drive. The reformat will just erase the partition you installed SL on, the EFI partition is actually separate. HTH

Thanks mosslack...I thought I was missing something. Working on it right now in fact.

pb

@phubai

I don't think it is necessary to reformat, just if you want to get rid of the EFI-Partition.

My setup is using NBI as well and I now use only the extensions like MowgliBook's.

I try to keep the S/L/Extensions folder clean, only VoodooHDA is there at the moment.

Good luck

Tom

Thanks Tom...that's what I'm working for this go around. I would like to see NBM/NBI mature on the 311 and I'm sure it will.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Hmmm, anyone know where meklort has run off to? I was just going to copy the address for his blog over to my 1201N and it says the site has been moved, but no new link. When he reported he was moving, I thought he meant his physical location would be changing, not his web location.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'd keep an eye on http://code.google.c...book-installer/ otherwise i wouldn't think much of it. this can happen when you switch servers.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I was wondering that myself. Went over to the mydellmini forum and found he'd posted there as late as 4/28 anyway. I was surprised to see his blog moved too. I'm ready for some NBM/NBI love...I'm not having much luck with mowblibook's retail v7 or v8 either one. It seemed to function rather well, until the last Apple update, and suddently I have an endless boot loop I'm trying to fix. I think somewhere around the lizard is where I may have stepped off of the log.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I was wondering that myself. Went over to the mydellmini forum and found he'd posted there as late as 4/28 anyway. I was surprised to see his blog moved too. I'm ready for some NBM/NBI love...I'm not having much luck with mowblibook's retail v7 or v8 either one. It seemed to function rather well, until the last Apple update, and suddently I have an endless boot loop I'm trying to fix. I think somewhere around the lizard is where I may have stepped off of the log.

Looks like he is back at the same location. Hopefully we can get the issues for the HP Mini 311 resolved now.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
keep us updated. i'm more than happy to test.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
If you read his latest entries, he really hasn't made any changes to the 0.8.4 RC1 version yet. I will keep an eye on it and see. I had actually checked his site earlier this afternoon, but it didn't come up until I clicked on the link you posted in the Dev thread. Guess I should have refreshed it to check.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
when i poked around in the structure of the app pkg, it looked like we might be able to make mini 311 mods ourselves, although i'm certain that he'd have plenty of insight. might be handy if we could hand him the latest kext, etc, that we're using.

but i'm in over my head. i'm just eager to test.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
If I had more time I might be inclined to do so, but as it is now I'm kind of strapped for time. In addition to working full time, plus my computer obligations, I am getting ready for a trip to NYC in 3 weeks. Plus I just got back from a weekend visit of my family in Arkansas. Seems like during the colder months I have plenty of free time, but as soon as warmer weather gets here things start heating up, so to speak. ;)

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Looks like he is back at the same location. Hopefully we can get the issues for the HP Mini 311 resolved now.

That's welcome news. I haven't had much success with the mini for some reason. I've temporarily committed it to linux and didn't even bring it with me to Louisville where I'll be until the 29th. OTOH, my 1201n is working great thanks to meklort and your guide. The only disappointment, and my reason for dual booting in this case with Win 7, is battery life. I'm not sure what OS X is doing to drain the battery so quickly compared to windows or linux for that matter.

I won't be able to work on the mini until next Saturday when I return, but I can't think of a better way of spending part of the day if we have something to try.

pb

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I've gotten in touch with meklort and he's interested in supporting the mini 311 with our help. i've sent him the kext and other files we're currently using with other methods which he agreed would be an effective first step.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

That's welcome news. I haven't had much success with the mini for some reason. I've temporarily committed it to linux and didn't even bring it with me to Louisville where I'll be until the 29th. OTOH, my 1201n is working great thanks to meklort and your guide. The only disappointment, and my reason for dual booting in this case with Win 7, is battery life. I'm not sure what OS X is doing to drain the battery so quickly compared to windows or linux for that matter.

I won't be able to work on the mini until next Saturday when I return, but I can't think of a better way of spending part of the day if we have something to try.

pb

You are kind of close to me, I'm up the road in Vevay, IN. We went through Louisville on our way to Arkansas last Friday morning. You there on business or pleasure?

I've gotten in touch with meklort and he's interested in supporting the mini 311 with our help. i've sent him the kext and other files we're currently using with other methods which he agreed would be an effective first step.

This is great news. Mine is working fine using one of my old installers and some of the later stuff developed on the support thread. I used it in Arkansas as well as my 1201N. Still pretty much a toss up as to which one I prefer.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

You are kind of close to me, I'm up the road in Vevay, IN. We went through Louisville on our way to Arkansas last Friday morning. You there on business or pleasure?

I wondered if I were. I'm here on business until next Saturday morning, then back to Florida for at least for a week.

This is great news. Mine is working fine using one of my old installers and some of the later stuff developed on the support thread. I used it in Arkansas as well as my 1201N. Still pretty much a toss up as to which one I prefer.

Indeed it is! I've not had much luck with the 311 as I've mentioned, but I do prefer the form factor and convenience of not having to use a mouse as well as easy access to the HD and memory. The 1201N is fine, but I don't even try to use the trackpad. A friend however, has no problem with it at all. She apparently has a touch that I've never developed!

Excellent! I'm looking forward to testing it. Thanks!

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
NBI/NBBM Update -

I'm working on building my own copies of NBI/NBBM. Once this is successful then I can start creating custom builds for testing with Mini 311 support. Once a few people have verified 311 support, the changes can be merged into NBI/NBBM.

I'm going to be sorting through kexts and dsdt files which is likely to lead to a lot of questions. If anyone is interested in getting their hands dirty, please speak up. I'm merely consolidating the knowledge of others.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Be happy to test when I can, let the games begin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy