HP 311 & NetbookBootMaker / NetbookInstaller

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I don't mean to be, but when I figured out the problem I was so excited I had to post something! I'm currently doing a complete reinstall using the new procedure to make sure it works as advertised. Once it is stable I plan to update the BIOS to F.14. I've been meaning to do that forever, but always got caught up in a new install or what not. :)

EDIT: This sucks! Now I get a KP after the 10.6.3 update and after the NBI app runs. On the reboot it KP's with a page fault of some sort. The first time I got it to work, I had already put VoodooHDA in it's place and replaced the DSDT with the proper one. Then I ran the 10.6.3 update, came up flashing screen. Rebooted in safe mode and removed NVEnabler. When it came back up, sound didn't work and the screen was at 1024x768. I'd seen this before and knew that the DSDT had been overwritten by NBI again. Replaced the DSDT file and ran UpdateExtra, rebooted and it worked just fine. So you can see I just changed the order a bit to make it easier.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I'm currently working on a solution to the 10.6.3 update problem which I believe will work. I'm in the final stages of testing and will post a revised guide once I have it worked out. The solution was so simple I could kick myself for not thinking of it sooner. Stay tuned for details.

EDIT: It works! I've updated the guide which is located here:

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Please test and advise if this works for you. Thanks!

That's great news! I just got in, but will try this tomorrow evening. Thanks!

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I don't mean to be, but when I figured out the problem I was so excited I had to post something! I'm currently doing a complete reinstall using the new procedure to make sure it works as advertised. Once it is stable I plan to update the BIOS to F.14. I've been meaning to do that forever, but always got caught up in a new install or what not. ;)

EDIT: This sucks! Now I get a KP after the 10.6.3 update and after the NBI app runs. On the reboot it KP's with a page fault of some sort. The first time I got it to work, I had already put VoodooHDA in it's place and replaced the DSDT with the proper one. Then I ran the 10.6.3 update, came up flashing screen. Rebooted in safe mode and removed NVEnabler. When it came back up, sound didn't work and the screen was at 1024x768. I'd seen this before and knew that the DSDT had been overwritten by NBI again. Replaced the DSDT file and ran UpdateExtra, rebooted and it worked just fine. So you can see I just changed the order a bit to make it easier.

sounds like we're still fighting NBI a bit. The application layout of NBI is very simple and it might be worth playing with. For instance, perhaps we can simply remove NVEnabler.kext from

Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/General/Extensions

NBBM has the exact same thing, but buried within several image files. this guy must have an odd build process set up.

There is also functionality for DSDT patching.

Anyway, maybe you have an idea what needs to happen when and from there we can figure out how to modify NBBM/NBI. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to update meklort to see if he can just toss out an idea.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Okay, I finally got it to work by typing -x -v and then pressing enter. When it came up in the safe boot mode the keyboard would not work at first, but I plugged and unplugged a flash drive and kept playing with it and finally it started working and I was able to type in my password. Continued with the guide and replaced the files it calls for and ran UpdateExtra the last thing before rebooting.

Once the desktop came back up, the screen was correct, but I didn't have any sound. Ran UpdateExtra again and then rebooted. Now sound works. I have not tested sleep at all, but it looks like to make this work better the VoodooHDA and DSDT will need to be in place prior to doing the 10.6.3 update. Then the safe mode trick can be used to remove the NVEnabler to stop the screen from flashing. But then the DSDT will need to be replaced a second time as the NBI will overwrite it. Still work to be done, but I think this is gonna work out okay.

sounds like we're still fighting NBI a bit. The application layout of NBI is very simple and it might be worth playing with. For instance, perhaps we can simply remove NVEnabler.kext from

Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/General/Extensions

NBBM has the exact same thing, but buried within several image files. this guy must have an odd build process set up.

There is also functionality for DSDT patching.

Anyway, maybe you have an idea what needs to happen when and from there we can figure out how to modify NBBM/NBI. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to update meklort to see if he can just toss out an idea.

I tried to remove NVEnabler from the NBI, but that didn't work. The installer must check to see that it is present before continuing, as that was the time when the system just stopped with no KP, but it just didn't do anything else. I have been trying to keep meklort updated on our progress, but I have not heard from him in a few days. I think this procedure will work, we just need to work out the order in which things are installed.

EDIT: I've been playing around with sleep and it doesn't appear to work properly. If it does go to sleep it won't wake up, etc. This is not important to me, but I know some of you depend on sleep working, so more work to be done.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I'm currently working on a solution to the 10.6.3 update problem which I believe will work. I'm in the final stages of testing and will post a revised guide once I have it worked out. The solution was so simple I could kick myself for not thinking of it sooner. Stay tuned for details.

EDIT: It works! I've updated the guide which is located here:

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Please test and advise if this works for you. Thanks!

I suppose I may have overlooked it in your new instructions, but where do you use NBI to install the boot loader onto the Mini after installing OS X? Is this done automagically by NBBM?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Correct, NBBM does all of this when it's run to install SL on the hard drive. I didn't realize this myself as meklort had to tell me when I sent him an update for the project. Really the only problem getting SL running and up to 10.6.3 on the Mini is NVEnabler. When he removes that (which he said he plans to do), it should work fine. That will only leave the question of sleep, the ever elusive dream of some poor nerd way back when. ;)

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
...so we wait....

its soo difficult!

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Correct, NBBM does all of this when it's run to install SL on the hard drive. I didn't realize this myself as meklort had to tell me when I sent him an update for the project. Really the only problem getting SL running and up to 10.6.3 on the Mini is NVEnabler. When he removes that (which he said he plans to do), it should work fine. That will only leave the question of sleep, the ever elusive dream of some poor nerd way back when. :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, reliable sleep would be nice, but mostly accompanied by the return of Ethernet after sleep. That would be welcome.

It would also be nice if there will be a forthcoming solution for the trackpad. Not a deal killer for me since I'm an inveterate mouse user, but I know others would like a functioning trackpad with supported gestures. To me the trackpad is OK. It functions as a substitute for the mouse which for me is just fine. Wish I could turn off the trackpad when the mouse is connected.

I guess the only problem I have with NBBM is that it does not use the EFI partition. This makes it a difficult alternative if one is already using HF4/5. The two do not play nice together. In order to use one the other must be completely removed, or so I've found.

If it's really impractical for a completely vanilla install on the Mini, then perhaps we should just settle on one standard - EFI partition or Extra folder in the root.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Following the guide late last night; early this morning, I had a stumbling block in exposing the hidden files for some reason. I was able to run the 10.6.3 combo, and remove the NVEnabler, but couldn't remove replace the other files until today. I was just too tired at 2:30 in the morning!

This afternoon, I was of course able to view the hidden files. I was using the system in full resolution, and everything, including sleep by closing the lid (I didn't try from the Apple menu) was working except for sound. No output device was found.

At that point I replaced the files as instructed. Everything but sound was working fine. I rebooted and received a KP. Subsequent tries have resulted in the same. I did run UpdateExtras and also repaired permissions with disk utility. It's a tough little rascal to get with!

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
No doubt, meklort just replied to my latest update and says he will fix these issues in the next release, but no word when that will be. I suppose we will just have to play the waiting game.

I don't really care for how the /Extra folder is hidden either, it is a real PITA to make changes to it and related folders. I don't really understand why sound is not working for you. Did you put the VoodooHDA.kext into the /Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder or the /S/L/E folder?

Yes, reliable sleep would be nice, but mostly accompanied by the return of Ethernet after sleep. That would be welcome.

It would also be nice if there will be a forthcoming solution for the trackpad. Not a deal killer for me since I'm an inveterate mouse user, but I know others would like a functioning trackpad with supported gestures. To me the trackpad is OK. It functions as a substitute for the mouse which for me is just fine. Wish I could turn off the trackpad when the mouse is connected.

I guess the only problem I have with NBBM is that it does not use the EFI partition. This makes it a difficult alternative if one is already using HF4/5. The two do not play nice together. In order to use one the other must be completely removed, or so I've found.

If it's really impractical for a completely vanilla install on the Mini, then perhaps we should just settle on one standard - EFI partition or Extra folder in the root.

I also use the trackpad as a mouse so that is not a big deal to me either. And I don't use sleep either, so I don't worry about that. Personally I prefer the /Extra folder for my installs as it is much easier to change things if need be. Of course I'm a perpetual hacker, so I can see where people who mainly just want to use their system for productive work, etc. would prefer out of sight, out of mind kind of installs. And you are correct that they do not play nice together.

As for which is the more vanilla approach, I think that has to do with how you define an install. To me, a vanilla install is one which does not inject any extra kext into the /S/L/E folder. Adding the Extra folder to the root of the hard drive is no different than adding any other data to the hard drive in my book. When you alter the /System folder is when you no longer have a vanilla install.

No matter, this thread is here to discuss using NBBM/NBI to install the system on the Mini 311 and as such I believe it should be kept true to form. If you prefer the other method of install the guys over here will be more than happy to discuss your ideas.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

No doubt, meklort just replied to my latest update and says he will fix these issues in the next release, but no word when that will be. I suppose we will just have to play the waiting game.

I don't really care for how the /Extra folder is hidden either, it is a real PITA to make changes to it and related folders. I don't really understand why sound is not working for you. Did you put the VoodooHDA.kext into the /Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder or the /S/L/E folder?

I put it in /Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder. I wasn't able to get around the KP as you were able to, so I'm reinstalling now. I know meklort is busy now with moving and his studies but I'm glad he's indicated he'll work on addressing these issues in the next release. I do believe this is the way to go with this as it simplifies the process immensely.

I agree, it looks like a waiting game for the moment anyway. (Maybe I should open the 1201N and work on that while I'm waiting...lol). I'm still undecided on that. I haven't even opened the shipping box because I know I'd rationalize keeping it if I did!

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Funny you should mention the 1201N, I'm currently in the process of reinstalling the system after a failed attempt with NBBM. It got as far as installing SL and I set it up after the reboot and the video, but then when I tried to apply the 10.6.3 update, the NBI icon appeared but nothing else. A subsequent verbose boot revealed about a half screen of info, but no clear reason why the system just stopped. I have sent a picture of the screen along with other info meklort requested from NBI testers and will wait to see what he says about it.

In the meantime, I am running Eee LiveUpdate in Windows 7 as it popped up for an available update. First time I've seen that, kind of neat, but very slow downloading it. Even though the SL install was messed up, Windows 7 still boots. Something to do while I wait for the DVD restore to the flash drive.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Funny you should mention the 1201N, I'm currently in the process of reinstalling the system after a failed attempt with NBBM. It got as far as installing SL and I set it up after the reboot and the video, but then when I tried to apply the 10.6.3 update, the NBI icon appeared but nothing else. A subsequent verbose boot revealed about a half screen of info, but no clear reason why the system just stopped. I have sent a picture of the screen along with other info meklort requested from NBI testers and will wait to see what he says about it.

In the meantime, I am running Eee LiveUpdate in Windows 7 as it popped up for an available update. First time I've seen that, kind of neat, but very slow downloading it. Even though the SL install was messed up, Windows 7 still boots. Something to do while I wait for the DVD restore to the flash drive.

Oh no! What a pain 10.6.3 has turned out to be..I'd better get me another mini 10v just so that I can have some success. I'm about to wear out the flash drive I've installed/reinstalled only to KP so many times! I'm up and running in it now, and DL'd the latest updates without incident. Sleep of course doesn't work. When I close the lid or choose it from the Apple menu, it recycles over and over, sleeps, then wakes up immediately. Sound is working as is full resolution. The screen flashes at every start up, but a close of the lid brings it back. Startup is quick enough, I may not need sleep I guess, but I use it so much on my MBPro, it's a habit, especially since I travel so much. I think I'm going to leave it as is for now, and not try anything until I hear something from the pro's (u and meklort).

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
It still flashes with NVEnabler.kext removed??? This would be very different from mine. Also my sleep issue is when I close the lid the system goes to sleep but will not wake up at all. Have to power cycle. The guys over on the other thread are really making some excellent progress if you have not checked it lately. As soon as they come up with a good installer I may switch mine to their setup and just use a USB hard drive for the NBI stuff.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

It still flashes with NVEnabler.kext removed??? This would be very different from mine. Also my sleep issue is when I close the lid the system goes to sleep but will not wake up at all. Have to power cycle. The guys over on the other thread are really making some excellent progress if you have not checked it lately. As soon as they come up with a good installer I may switch mine to their setup and just use a USB hard drive for the NBI stuff.

Duh...in my experimentation, I ran NBI again and NVEnabler.kext was apparently reinstalled. That should clear that much up at least. Your sleep issue is the same as I have on all of my linux distros. I just can't get that to work reliably on any of them. Thanks for the update on the other thread...I'll check it out. I have a spare USB as well, and wouldn't mind trying that myself. I can copy this over to the USB and work with both that way.

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Yeah, I believe they now have an installer up with link, so I think I will do that. NBI boots very well from USB, so should be the best way to go. I would like to continue development of NBI with meklort so this should mean the best of both worlds, I hope. :P

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Yeah, I believe they now have an installer up with link, so I think I will do that. NBI boots very well from USB, so should be the best way to go. I would like to continue development of NBI with meklort so this should mean the best of both worlds, I hope. :)

Agreed! I've been a little busy, but I'm going for that link soon. I removed the NVEnabler.kext, restarted, but no joy. I still have the flicker. It corrects right away normally with a close of the lid, but flickers none the less after start up. I haven't check ethernet, but wireless is fine. Strong signal and it hangs onto it. It went thru a couple of Apple updates beyond the combo installation today without incident as well. It's so close!

pb

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Just a note about the 1201N, E-net is now working via a kext developed by someone on another thread. I've been testing it for awhile now and it seems to be very stable. Check out the 1201N thread for more details and link.

phubai

phubai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Still waiting for an update. I haven't had much success with the other process. It's good until the combo update and then it's very shaky. Interesting project though. I really want to get the mini 311 up and working. I do like it marginally better than the 1201N, primarily for the trackpad, and then HD access of course.

Just thought I'd throw a line in here to warm things up a bit! I know we're still on hold.

pb

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Still waiting for an update. I haven't had much success with the other process. It's good until the combo update and then it's very shaky. Interesting project though. I really want to get the mini 311 up and working.

I'm really not certain why you're having that trouble. I don't have it any I followed the directions very closely and installed multiple times. I used HF5RC1 and haven't tried the newer versions since they don't appear to offer much as far as my needs are concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy