[GUIDE] Vostro 1400 Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installation

40 posts in this topic

Someone has the problem when you have been using the keyboard a lot and then suddenly it disconnets and so the trackpad?

I have to restart using a usb mouse, and if i dont have one i have to press the shutdown button.

It happens a lot to me , including when i was writing a reply it happened twice (i had to restart twice).

This happens to me with the Kext and the pkg posted by xRotorHead

To know if you have this issue open TextEdit and start to press lots of keys, use the caps lock lots of times and it will happen.

i think this is a bug inside of the voodoops2keyboard.kext.

i haven't figured it out but im almost sure it's because of the caps lock configuration in the info.plist inside of the kext.

if someone finds a solution, please let me know.

(sorry i tried to don't use capital letters to don't have to restart again)

Concerning the trackpad issue on the Vostro 1400, my story has been a year-long journey to get the trackpad, tap-to-click, tap-to-click following sleep, and scroll all working. I unable to explain exactly why its all working (for the last 3 days) but it is working. I'll try to explain the process:

- I have 3 partitions on a 320Gb HDD on the Vostro 1400

- Part 1 = OsX, Part 2 = OsX, Part 3 = Win7

- I set up both Part's 1 and 2 exactly the same in accordance with my current snow-vostro-V4 guide (above)

- On both OsX setups, I didn't get a functional trackpad/keyboard until after the step that calls for installing the VoodooPS2Controller-installer 0.98.

- On Part 1, upon reaching the step to double-click to install the TrackPad.prefpane in S/L/PreferencePanes, I get an error that the "trackpad is not available at this time", therefore no tap-to-click, scrolling, etc. This is currently the case on Part 1, and my solution to the trackpad issue on Part 1 is still unresolved.

- On Part 2, the TrackPad.prefpane installs properly into System Preferences and, as a result, I get all the associated features (tap-to-click, horizontal/vertical scrolling, etc).

- Note the scrolling is only along the right and lower edges of the trackpad, not the cool 2-finger scroll gestures.

- I've setup both partitions exactly the same, yet I get the TrackPad prefpane to install in Part 2, but not Part 1. I'm at a loss to explain this, but at least I got it working on one of the partitions.

I'm not a software engineer, and I don't do any developing of my own kexts...I simply experiment with kexts that others have developed. Thanks to those folks for all their efforts. Hope this helps one of you challenged with the Vostro 1400 trackpad. My advice is to keep trying until something works...and then post your results for us to learn.

Concerning the trackpad issue on the Vostro 1400, my story has been a year-long journey to get the trackpad, tap-to-click, tap-to-click following sleep, and scroll all working. I unable to explain exactly why its all working (for the last 3 days) but it is working. I'll try to explain the process:

i'll tell you how the trackpad worked for me.

I installed the pkg and then i replaced the VoodooPS2trackpad.kext from the other kext you posted.

Then i copied the VoodooPS2controller.kext and pasted it in Extra/Extensions folder. Now you can delete it from S/L/E and repair permissions.

Also you can add the VoodooBattery.kext , VoodooPowerMini.kext , and OSXRestart.kext to the Extra/Extensions folder and have them loaded successfully from it with Chameleon. (i read VoodooSDHC.kext works too, i haven't tried).

It's very recommendable to use this configuration to keep untouched the S/L/E folder.

i have tap to click, even after sleep and scrolling working properly.

My only issue is the caps lock thing (i would appreciate any help or comment) i detailed before, but i can use shift key to do the capital letters (this happens with any kext you provided and it happened before and after putting the VoodooPS2controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder)

I'll post the modified VoodooPS2controller.kext with working trackpad that u need to put in the extra folder (obviusly you need to replace the info.plist in the Trackpad.Pref.Pane too).

I wish this helps to make this guide better and you update the snow_vostro when you confirm this works. ;)

Cheers.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

i'll tell you how the trackpad worked for me.

I installed the pkg and then i replaced the VoodooPS2trackpad.kext from the other kext you posted.

Then i copied the VoodooPS2controller.kext and pasted it in Extra/Extensions folder. Now you can delete it from S/L/E and repair permissions.

Also you can add the VoodooBattery.kext , VoodooPowerMini.kext , and OSXRestart.kext to the Extra/Extensions folder and have them loaded successfully from it with Chameleon. (i read VoodooSDHC.kext works too, i haven't tried).

It's very recommendable to use this configuration to keep untouched the S/L/E folder.

i have tap to click, even after sleep and scrolling working properly.

My only issue is the caps lock thing (i would appreciate any help or comment) i detailed before, but i can use shift key to do the capital letters (this happens with any kext you provided and it happened before and after putting the VoodooPS2controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder)

I'll post the modified VoodooPS2controller.kext with working trackpad that u need to put in the extra folder (obviusly you need to replace the info.plist in the Trackpad.Pref.Pane too).

I wish this helps to make this guide better and you update the snow_vostro when you confirm this works. ;)

Cheers.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

tintinV,

Excellent input. We'll try that exact procedure soon and report back. I like the idea of keeping the S/L/E clean. Wish I had some solution to your keyboard caps lock issue. Of the dozens of OsX installs Ive done on the Vostro 1400, Ive never seen that particular problem. Report back if/when you find a fix.

I might as well post my experiences today, following this guide and the other 1400 tutorial on this forum in order to dual-boot Win7 and OSX 10.6.3 onto a Dell Vostro 1310.

- Started off by installing Win7 to the first partition, and creating the following partitions on a 250GB drive:

> 50GB NTFS for Windows 7 Install

> 100GB HFS+ for OSX 10.5.6 Install

> 30GB HFS+ for OSX 10.6.3 Disc

> 50GB HFS+ for OSX 10.6.3 Install

- Installed the iPC 10.5.6 distro onto partition 2 with this config, just so I can get a mac environment to work in.

- Used a retail DVD of 10.6.3 to restore an image to partition 3, replaced OSInstall files with these ones.

- Used data on partition 3 to install clean 10.6.3 on partition 4 (disabled all printer drivers in order to get installer to finish), deleted two existing kexts you mentioned, installed Chameleon 2 RC4, restarted.

- Installed all kexts provided, installed VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg (with touchpad option checked) in order to get laptop stuff working (still no scroll or touch click, but I mostly use an external mouse anyway).

- Needed to modify and reinstall Broadcom kext to get wireless working.

- Finally, deleted partitions 2 and 3, created a large 130GB NTFS partition for all my Win7 program installs.

Ethernet seems to work just fine, along with shutdown and sleep (inc. closing lid). Restart just shuts down laptop. DVD drive worked without reinstalling anything.

All in all, great guide, and pretty successful install. tintinV, may try your touchpad method if I get some time.

102944654-94fcc4164912969720f8c486c2b1465f.4bf4ae4e-scaled.jpg

I might as well post my experiences today, following this guide and the other 1400 tutorial on this forum in order to dual-boot Win7 and OSX 10.6.3 onto a Dell Vostro 1310.

- Started off by installing Win7 to the first partition, and creating the following partitions on a 250GB drive:

> 50GB NTFS for Windows 7 Install

> 100GB HFS+ for OSX 10.5.6 Install

> 30GB HFS+ for OSX 10.6.3 Disc

> 50GB HFS+ for OSX 10.6.3 Install

- Installed the iPC 10.5.6 distro onto partition 2 with this config, just so I can get a mac environment to work in.

- Used a retail DVD of 10.6.3 to restore an image to partition 3, replaced OSInstall files with these ones.

- Used data on partition 3 to install clean 10.6.3 on partition 4 (disabled all printer drivers in order to get installer to finish), deleted two existing kexts you mentioned, installed Chameleon 2 RC4, restarted.

- Installed all kexts provided, installed VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg (with touchpad option checked) in order to get laptop stuff working (still no scroll or touch click, but I mostly use an external mouse anyway).

- Needed to modify and reinstall Broadcom kext to get wireless working.

- Finally, deleted partitions 2 and 3, created a large 130GB NTFS partition for all my Win7 program installs.

Ethernet seems to work just fine, along with shutdown and sleep (inc. closing lid). Restart just shuts down laptop. DVD drive worked without reinstalling anything.

All in all, great guide, and pretty successful install. tintinV, may try your touchpad method if I get some time.

102944654-94fcc4164912969720f8c486c2b1465f.4bf4ae4e-scaled.jpg

It works for me (is an ALPS touchpad) i have scrolling (not 2 finger scrolling but it works)

I used a different way to install SL, and its very easy and u dont need an OS X install to do it. Only windows and VMware Workstation.

- I created 3 partitions in my 320gb disc using the win 7 disc (MBR): 50gb for Snow Leopard (HFS+), 40gb for Windows 7 (NTFS) and the rest for the data shared with the 2 sistems like music etc (NTFS).

- I installed Windows 7 then VMware Workstation 7 and i downloaded a virtual machine of Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

- Inside of 10.6.2 i created a virtual disk for the Mac OS Install DVD (to modify the OSinstall).

- I gave permission to the virtual machine to access to the HFS+ partition.

- Inside of the 10.6.2 i installed Mac OS X 10.6 into that partition.

- I booted again and using the Empire EFI disc i booted my new 10.6 install.

- I installed chameleon rc 4, replaced the extra,etc.

- Using the Empire EFI disc i booted on the Windows 7 partition (because the boot was {censored}ed up with chameleon)

- Fix the boot with EasyBCD 2 beta.

Now you have dual boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

After all this time, im gonna quit from hackintosh !

i checked the health with hard disk sentinel (windows) before i tried this Snow Leopard thing and it said 79%

And now it says 49 % (like 400 days left ;) )

The same happened with leopard last year. It was 100% and after it was 79%.

So, be careful and check your disk life.

I think this is because the sleep, restart and shutdown issues but im not sure.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much xRotorHead for this tutorial and the files. I got everything working except for shutdown (well, don't care much about that) and the keyboard/trackpad.

When I used the voodoo ps2kext file, it didn't work and the system gave notification that the text cannot be used. When I used the voodoo installer, the same thing happened (after reboot got the same notification) or other time when experimenting the error was given during the installation.

I also used several voodoo ps2 kexts available and also changed the info.plst file in the Trackpad Prefpanels folder.

Any ideas? Would appreciate it very much.

Thank you very much xRotorHead for this tutorial and the files. I got everything working except for shutdown (well, don't care much about that) and the keyboard/trackpad.

When I used the voodoo ps2kext file, it didn't work and the system gave notification that the text cannot be used. When I used the voodoo installer, the same thing happened (after reboot got the same notification) or other time when experimenting the error was given during the installation.

I also used several voodoo ps2 kexts available and also changed the info.plst file in the Trackpad Prefpanels folder.

Any ideas? Would appreciate it very much.

I wish I had some specific advice that could help you. No keyboard either, huh? Wierd. All I can do is point the method that worked for me in this original post. Don't get discouraged, keep trying something til you get it...sooner or later, you will. Some of the other replies in this post are very helpful as well. Let us know when you figure it out.

I wish I had some specific advice that could help you. No keyboard either, huh? Wierd. All I can do is point the method that worked for me in this original post. Don't get discouraged, keep trying something til you get it...sooner or later, you will. Some of the other replies in this post are very helpful as well. Let us know when you figure it out.

Hi! I got that working. Used different .kext files and after couple of times trying found the right one.

Take care!

Hi! I got that working. Used different .kext files and after couple of times trying found the right one.

Take care!

Great, could you please share your kext files ?

i have a D830 with OSX 10.6.4, everything works fine, but touchpad not

tried many different kext´s, but nothing works :(

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

has anyone an idea, why no wlan-adapter is known to my system ?

i have made it exactly to the tutorial of post 1. if you tell me, what to check, i can give you informations, but i dont know, which information is helpfull. it is a standard vostro 1400.

and no usb device- or better the whole usb-thing - is working. in the system-info, no usb-information is given.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone has the problem when you have been using the keyboard a lot and then suddenly it disconnets and so the trackpad?

I have to restart using a usb mouse, and if i dont have one i have to press the shutdown button.

It happens a lot to me , including when i was writing a reply it happened twice (i had to restart twice).

This happens to me with the Kext and the pkg posted by xRotorHead

To know if you have this issue open TextEdit and start to press lots of keys, use the caps lock lots of times and it will happen.

i think this is a bug inside of the voodoops2keyboard.kext.

i haven't figured it out but im almost sure it's because of the caps lock configuration in the info.plist inside of the kext.

if someone finds a solution, please let me know.

(sorry i tried to don't use capital letters to don't have to restart again)

Am having EXACTLY the same issue on my Vostro 1400 (10.6.5 + modified DSDT) as when using the keyboard alot (including capslock of course) and suddenly KB and Trackpad stops working altogether.

So, yes, it must be some bug in the VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Did you make any progress regarding this problem?

• 2 years later...