Looking for RAID Assistance

Guest RevisionZero

12 posts in this topic

Guest RevisionZero

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction or help me out directly. I am currently looking for a way to successfully setup a RAID 0 with OSX 10.6 installed on it. My problem is that whenever I setup any hardware raid, the OSX installer is unable to install on it. It just yields errors in Disk Utility and cant continue to actually install on the RAID 0 setup.

Any guides on this, or any insightful information that people may have it much appreciated.

Thank You

I don't think that an actual Hardware raid card would have any problems installing, as the bios and system only sees your raid as a single drive. Your probably actually setting up a software raid of some kind. To find out, let us know what raid card your using.

I have Raid-0 working on a sil3132 card that I found on ebay, it was re-branded as Belkin if that helps. I had to install SL to a single separate hard disc, install the software from SIL's web site, used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the installation to my Raid-0 set-up and then reinstalled PC-EFI boot loader. Works like a treat :mellow:.

I don't think that an actual Hardware raid card would have any problems installing, as the bios and system only sees your raid as a single drive. Your probably actually setting up a software raid of some kind. To find out, let us know what raid card your using.

I have Raid-0 working on a sil3132 card that I found on ebay, it was re-branded as Belkin if that helps. I had to install SL to a single separate hard disc, install the software from SIL's web site, used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the installation to my Raid-0 set-up and then reinstalled PC-EFI boot loader. Works like a treat :).

Can you please provide step by step instructions on your raid setup?

I have LSI SAS 1068E based card. SL doesn't see the volume if I create the array in the BIOS. I may have

to go with sil3132.

Can you please provide step by step instructions on your raid setup?

I have LSI SAS 1068E based card. SL doesn't see the volume if I create the array in the BIOS. I may have

to go with sil3132.

As far as I can see, there aren't any OSX drivers released by that manufacturer. You will need drivers for your raid card, or you will need a true hardware raid card (which I presume will work with no hassle, due to the card emulating a normal drive). If you haven't already, please ensure that you can install OSX without raid first.

Instructions (for SIL3132):

1. Install OSX (which ever version you wish to use) onto a hard disk not in your Raid array, installing everything including bootloader.

2. Install drivers for the SIL3132.

3. Create Raid array from bios start up screen (by pressing f5).

4. Boot into Hard disk with OSX installed (not Raid array).

5. Use Disk Utility to create a partition on your raid device (the device will display as a Firewire drive).

6. Download and install Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the contents of your single Hard disk to the Raid array.

7. Reinstall bootloader (doesn't seem to replicate with CCC), and reboot.

8. Go into BIOS (motherboard, as apposed to Raid Card) and set boot device to the Raid Card.

9. Boot and enjoy.

As far as I can see, there aren't any OSX drivers released by that manufacturer. You will need drivers for your raid card, or you will need a true hardware raid card (which I presume will work with no hassle, due to the card emulating a normal drive). If you haven't already, please ensure that you can install OSX without raid first.

Instructions (for SIL3132):

1. Install OSX (which ever version you wish to use) onto a hard disk not in your Raid array, installing everything including bootloader.

2. Install drivers for the SIL3132.

3. Create Raid array from bios start up screen (by pressing f5).

4. Boot into Hard disk with OSX installed (not Raid array).

5. Use Disk Utility to create a partition on your raid device (the device will display as a Firewire drive).

6. Download and install Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the contents of your single Hard disk to the Raid array.

7. Reinstall bootloader (doesn't seem to replicate with CCC), and reboot.

8. Go into BIOS (motherboard, as apposed to Raid Card) and set boot device to the Raid Card.

9. Boot and enjoy.

Thank you.

LSI - It appears Leopard is loading AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext and Leopard is seeing the individual SAS drives. It only

doesn't see the RAID0 if I create the array in the BIOS.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR mainboard.

I've installed Snow Leopard 10.6.

It's working without any problem.

My second operating system windows 7 on my RAID 0 disks. I cant see as ARRAY disk in my Mac OsX.

But i can see disks in disk manager.

Do you have any solutions guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mojoman,

Your RAID card probably isn't supported in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard isn't designed to work with as many cards as Win7 as Apple only use certain hardware in their machines.

I ended up using an additional Software Raid card (sil3132) for my raid, which works great! Fairly cheap too, cost me just under £20. Instructions for this card I provided in a previous response.

Good luck!

Hi mojoman,

Your RAID card probably isn't supported in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard isn't designed to work with as many cards as Win7 as Apple only use certain hardware in their machines.

I ended up using an additional Software Raid card (sil3132) for my raid, which works great! Fairly cheap too, cost me just under £20. Instructions for this card I provided in a previous response.

Good luck!

I'm having a hard time getting my hardware raid card working with SL. Everything I've read echoes your sentiments.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to boot 64 bit kernel from the RAID as well?

Yup, the SIL drivers are 64bit ;).

And you don't have any problems with sleep using 64-bit kernel and Sil3132 ? At least on my Gigabyte P45 system and on somebody else's Gigabyte P35 systems that combination breaks sleep functionality. Everything else seems to be ok with 64-bit mode except sleep.