ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

artkrime

141 posts in this topic

i got hazard to install fine man. Just it would not boot without using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd I have. I have yet to get any OSX install to boot from hard drive properly. Either they go to the RESTART YOUR COMPUTER gray screen error like the hazaard distro. OR-- They would just get to the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning thing below it. It would never go anywhere from there.. Would however boot fine with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. ???

For now I have formatted my spare drive for storage in windows again... Until I get more info on fixing the boot from hard drive issue i am not messing with it again.

i got hazard to install fine man. Just it would not boot without using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd I have. I have yet to get any OSX install to boot from hard drive properly. Either they go to the RESTART YOUR COMPUTER gray screen error like the hazaard distro. OR-- They would just get to the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning thing below it. It would never go anywhere from there.. Would however boot fine with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. ???

For now I have formatted my spare drive for storage in windows again... Until I get more info on fixing the boot from hard drive issue i am not messing with it again.

Until u actually go through mac setup u have to keep using the bootflag after inital setup then use dsdt patched it will fix up the install and mac will boot with no flags after words! Retail for me has never worked I have installed on many computers and always used what seems to work the best! Like my gateway will not even boot hazard distro! Had to find a diff method on it! Getting fust. and giving up only gets u back to one place no mac! My brother bought the last Asus from bestbuy they had and we installed mac on the first try last night so I know my method is correct ur missing a step somewhere!

If u want I have a spare 8 gig jump drive I will ship it to ya with the distro pre installed it will be ready for ya with everything ya need! I will include carbon copy so when u boot the drive all u have to do is format ur drive and hit copy!

The catch is I would want my jump drive back!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new on this? I have a G72GX doing the install process now with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a retail disc. Anything else I should know?

I had trouble getting it to boot from hard drive with that method CeeB. Seems using Chameleon with PC-EFI 10.5+ works fine. Bunc was kind enough to send me a preloaded drive which works great. I am sure however that installing retail then installing Chameleon=PC-EFI 10.5+ MIGHT work.. You might do yourself a favor by just downloading a pre-built distro like hazard which is the one on mine and Buncs laptops.

Yahoo I.M. me if u need any help.

picstoyankton@yahoo

I would go with Imus the hazard distro works the best so far. He tried a couple of diff of methods that did not suceed. Hazard will boot use cpus=1 -v and add your drivers that u need. Some of the stuff I had to google to get working correctly like audio and video. But Hazard will get u started delete disabler.kext and sleepenabler.kext before updating through apple these will cause the system to panic. I just updated to 10.6.4 nothing broken but do get a error on dydl.. Not sure what it is says it was compiled for a diff distro. I will be back in a few days with more detailed info. Have to get to work. Later

I did manage to get it installed, booting it however didn't go over so well.

Gonna go with what you both suggested and i'll post the results ( hopefully from within OSX :( )

Make sure ur using cpus=1 to boot the hazard distro it will not work otherwise! Good luck

Imus have you noticed any issues with Safari crashing been getting slow response from safari 5 with the occasional crash. Googled it and it seems to be an issue with safari 5 just wondered if you have noticed anything. I ordered a apple wireless n card see if i can get channels above 11 tired of not being able to use my works wireless setup will post back with the model number and ebay page think it said he had several for sale. Hell ten bucks is nothing to shell out for a experiment. Going to add to my Gateway also because it has no built in wireless. Will be letting ya know whats up in the next few days.

I have been meaning to post a detailed installation procedure but have been busy with a funeral will get that up and going in the next few days. Haven't had any major issue out of the 10.6.4 update but doesn't mean something won't popup will be testing everything out this week see what was and wasn't broken from the new update.

Imus let me know about safari so I can start to narrow it down and pin point the issue. Hoping its not something to do IPV6 internet explore 8 has been having these issue with the IPV6 protocols.

Later all!

So I nabbed the Hazard iso, burned with imgburn (best burning app EVER imo), booted it up, did the cpus=1 -v and proceeded to install.

Install went smoothly, took about a half hour or so. Told me install was successful and to reboot. Initial boot into OSX took roughly 40 mins. I'm blaming this on either the drive itself, or because I didn't do something I was supposed to. After it did it's thing it did the welcome prompt, clicked through that and ended up at the desktop \o/.

Questions I now have are:

1. What options during install should I use.

2. What post install steps do I have to take to ensure it works the best it can.

3. Is there a way to remap the windows key to be the command key :/

4. Steps on how to update it without breaking it.

5. Is there a way to get the bootloader to recognize SD cards? This would be really awesome if I could make it do that

That's about it for now. Thanks for recommending this version of it.

So I nabbed the Hazard iso, burned with imgburn (best burning app EVER imo), booted it up, did the cpus=1 -v and proceeded to install.

Install went smoothly, took about a half hour or so. Told me install was successful and to reboot. Initial boot into OSX took roughly 40 mins. I'm blaming this on either the drive itself, or because I didn't do something I was supposed to. After it did it's thing it did the welcome prompt, clicked through that and ended up at the desktop \o/.

Questions I now have are:

1. What options during install should I use.

2. What post install steps do I have to take to ensure it works the best it can.

3. Is there a way to remap the windows key to be the command key :/

4. Steps on how to update it without breaking it.

5. Is there a way to get the bootloader to recognize SD cards? This would be really awesome if I could make it do that

That's about it for now. Thanks for recommending this version of it.

To the best of my knowledge rioch sd doesnt work in mac! But my options were bootloader PC EFI 10.5

I choose voodoohda, nvinject, macam, not much else like I posted earlier will be giving a detailed list of my method. Tring to go off memory, atherosfix, no acpi, no kernel, those I left the same, keyboard mouse work natively, atherosfix may or may not be needed but choose it anyway. DO DELETE DISABLER.KEXT SLEEPENABLER.KEXT these will break during update and cause a kernel panic. As for changing keys that is done in preference. I have no knowledge of how to do that. Never tried. Um let me grab my notes::

Cmosresetfix

elliottforcelegacy

ahcisatafix

smbiosresolver

uuid

In my notes it says I used nvinject. But my res was wrong so I had to google for a newer build. Did the same with voodoohda. But for the life of me I can't remember where I found them. If your wanting to setup keyboard the way you want try voodoops2 kext this gives you more options.

Oh very important make sure to set energy preference to never sleep and never stop harddrive this will cause your pc not come back on from mouse or keyboard you will have to restart with the power button. Also on a side note wireless will not work up past channel 11. Not sure why its not seeing 12-14 as channels that it can see. No big issue for me but have been looking into it. Also have noticed my local on my wireless sometimes gets set to other country codes outside of the USA and local is unknown. This is a Snow Leopard issue not the card googled the {censored} out of it and there is a lot of info but nothing on how to fix it.

Safari is acting weird get crashes occassionally and stales from one page to the next but firefox works fine so it is just safari.. Googled this and found that it is a current issue alot of people are facing.

ENJOY glad to see more asus g72gx users! The more people the more stufff we can get working. I have a P-7805u and that has hundreds of posters so most of my issues work worked out by just waiting for someone to post back.

These are just the things that I tried. Some of them may or may not be needed to boot snow but they aren't hurting things having them there.

No hdmi infact forgot to let Imus know if you try to hit FN-F8 it will lock up not sure whats up with that. Tried hdmi weekago locked up when I tried to switch to it! Did not auto recognize it plugging in. As for firewire have nothing firewire to check so good luck there.

Installed it with all the notes I collected. Oddly I didn't need to use the cpus=1 boot flag, installed and booted just fine. Pretty much worked (or so it seems) as it should have. Runs great right off the bat, but I'm sure further tweaking would improve it. Deleted those two kext files and updated to *.4 with no issues. The windows key mapped to command by default, which was great.

Installed steam for the hell of it and tried portal (remembered the youtube video of the <insert comment about overzealous mac users here> saying it sucked and couldn't play portal) it ran, not all that great, but it was playable.

Over all I'd give the whole experience A-. It was fairly easy considering what we're doing. Only thing that's really starting to suck is finding comparable software.

Want to thank bunc5224 and IMUSXx for your help.

Just a friendly update. Bought two ar5008 from ebay and now have full wireless support for both leopard and snow leopard. Still don't have channels over 11 but now have full access wireless n and other high channels that I have never seen before. I guess this is an issue with atheros cards in a mac and linux system but it is working great. Had to reinstall the original IO80211kext and airportkext but looks good to me. I guess the only thing left is to buy a real mac. Not Never No Way!!!!

Hi' i'm newbie here

reading through your post regarding the asus g72gx and it seems to be a perfect hackintosh

I'm looking to buy one in my country and the available model is ASUS G72GX RX05 FR

is the asus g72gx you are talking about is this one?

thanks b4 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all! I just entered the forum as I saw there were other G72GX users trying to do the same as me... I really have to say this is the best laptop i could've asked for....

i've got snow leopard 10.6.4 and windows7pro running perfectly in this computer... i'm only having some trouble with kexts...hope any of you can help me

battery is not showing up correctly...i'm using voodoobattery for it as it is the only one that hasn't showed kernel panic ...

here's my problem: it seems like macosx is only detecting the battery status at which the laptop was when i logged in... this is, if i turn on the laptop running on AC, battery icon shows as charging and everything is fine, but as soon as I disconnect it and start running on battery, my screen dims (this is normal) AND my keyboard shotcurts stop working :D (no more keyboard light controlling, screen brightness or anything else)... oh and I almost forgot: battery icon keeps saying that battery is charging, fully charged, or whatever status it had when I turned on the laptop ¬¬

the same happens the other way, if I turn on the computer running on batteries, everything works fine, but as soon as I plug it in, keyboard shortcuts stop working and battery icon keeps saying i'm running on batteries...

i think that's the only problem i've come through by now... any help would be appreciated... and i'm willing to help with anything i can :D ... thanks!

EDIT: something else i would like to add to my battery issues: when I turn on the computer with only AC (battery not attached) and then attach it while still having the computer on, I get kernel panic =/... yeah, you may be thinking my battery kexts really suck... and you're right =/

hope someone can help me... I have been using the laptop at home as I'm on vacation, but starting tomorrow I will really depend a lot on my battery and I don't want to keep having this problems =/... thanks :D

Did any of you guys have any problems getting the audio to work?.

That's the only real problem I'm having so far managed to get it updated to 10.6.4 without any problems and got everything else that needs to work working but the on board audio is still being a pain in the ass.

From what I've been able to figure out the G72GX has:

Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Here's a little bit about my install:

OSX 10.6.3 Retail

Installed with Empire Efi v1085

The only extra Kext's I've used were for the video & wireless

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & thanks for the help ahead of time.

-Mike

Try VoodooHDA ! I have a G60J and it works (sound + mic).

Wow I feel like a dumbass now.... I should have looked but it seems I didn't already have that installed.

Now I have fully working sound lol..

I'm also using VoodooHDA and it works great... the only problem I'm having with sound is that "crackling sound after sleep" issue that some people in the forum have been trying to solve... haven't tried any of those yet anyways...

Hey everyone just wanted to let you guys know this is a great hackintosh laptop and this forum is amazing I found a fix for almost every issue so thnx to everyone especially for the cpus=1 info and the kext link. But still have some minor issues that hopefully someone has a fix for:

-battery icon status not working but percentage and time are

-trackpad not working but pointer works fine

-the charging or not charging issue on boot up but when you disconnect or connect the charger it doesn't change status

but other then that I love this laptop I've updated to 10.6.4 and it feels like a perfect MacBook pro!!! Oh by the way anyone have any tips to take advantage of my ssd. I have my osx on my ocz ssd 60gb. Thanks again!!! :D

Okay Guy's I am Really... Really new to installing OSX86 on any computer, though I have seem people do it for years, I wish to also do it... As a result things like Bootloaders and Ktexts I don't understand or know much about or how to install them, I have that hazzard disk and I tried installing it earlier... I guess what I am asking is, since we all the same computer for the most part... describe how you would install this, if you were telling someone with a limited idea of how to do this.

If you help I'll make sure you win some good old fashion brownie points with me. :)

Put the Hazzard disc in and boot to it. When you get to the selection screen select osx install but type "cpus=1" then hit enter. This will get it to boot and install. I believe after install on your next boot you need to type -v te remove write caching or something then after that it will boot just fine.

If you have any experience installing windows, linux, etc.. this shouldnt be hard for you. The hard part is getting everything to work correctly after install. For me it was the boot loader which i recieved some help from a forum member.

Make sure you have a seperate hard drive to install to or split your current one in to two parts so you can use one for the OSX partition.