ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

artkrime

141 posts in this topic

Well, I gave up on the Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 I bought, it was impossible to get it to boot to install so I picked up this G72GX for $100 difference. I am extremely pleased with how well everything works. I think this might be the perfect macbook pro replacement!

Hardware:

17.3" LED backlit LCD

Backlit Keyboard

500gb

6GB

Nvidia GTX 260M - 1GB

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz

WIFI

HDMI

Firewire

EVERYTHING seems to be working, haven't tried LAN,HDMI or firewire but besides that everything is running SMOOTH! I did the install with the Hazard distro and its updated to 10.6.3, no problems. :) Hopefully this helps others in picking out the perfect notebook / laptop for hackintosh since I didnt really find too much info or any info on this model in my search.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man could you u give me a run down of the options you chose been trying to install for about a week with universal and aikos with no success because it stalls during boot. Any help will be great. I did a bueatiful install on P-7805u and part of the commuity so I'm no dumby when it comes to installing osx!

Tried the hazard distro and mine just reboots tried -v -x and reboot tried normal start up and reboots doesn't seem to be working for me could you help out. Bios options and start up config everything from a to z that made it possible for you to get os x even to boot. :(

Well, I gave up on the Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 I bought, it was impossible to get it to boot to install so I picked up this G72GX for $100 difference. I am extremely pleased with how well everything works. I think this might be the perfect macbook pro replacement!

Hardware:

17.3" LED backlit LCD

Backlit Keyboard

500gb

6GB

Nvidia GTX 260M - 1GB

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz

WIFI

HDMI

Firewire

EVERYTHING seems to be working, haven't tried LAN,HDMI or firewire but besides that everything is running SMOOTH! I did the install with the Hazard distro and its updated to 10.6.3, no problems. :( Hopefully this helps others in picking out the perfect notebook / laptop for hackintosh since I didnt really find too much info or any info on this model in my search.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

I'm going to 2nd this thread, I put in a 2nd hard drive, an old 120gb sata drive from my last laptop, formatted this with GUID and dedicated it all to OSX. Since I don't keep blank DVDs around I did have a bit of a problem getting the hazard distro to boot using TransMac to get the dmg onto my usb thumbdrive. I eventually booted up linux to get the thumbdrive setup for installation. The only thing not working for me properly is the trackpad, and it works, but not like it should imo. I know this trackpad supports gestures, such as two finger scrolling and pinching to zoom etc, it has this functionality in windows but I can't get it working in OSX. Other than that this laptop is a dream laptop for OS X.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with this laptop. :D

+1 ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

I'm going to 2nd this thread, I put in a 2nd hard drive, an old 120gb sata drive from my last laptop, formatted this with GUID and dedicated it all to OSX. Since I don't keep blank DVDs around I did have a bit of a problem getting the hazard distro to boot using TransMac to get the dmg onto my usb thumbdrive. I eventually booted up linux to get the thumbdrive setup for installation. The only thing not working for me properly is the trackpad, and it works, but not like it should imo. I know this trackpad supports gestures, such as two finger scrolling and pinching to zoom etc, it has this functionality in windows but I can't get it working in OSX. Other than that this laptop is a dream laptop for OS X.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with this laptop. :)

Well I finally got it to work with cpus=1 this is a must the only way it will boot no other flags needed but installed and it works great even built in wireless. Graphics for now are alittle bit funky waiting for a good kext to get it up and working one hundred percent. Using voodoohda got ride of disabler and applehda and installed atherosfix.kext everything working. Ethernet detected as built in. Took me weeks to figure out the cpus=1 but after I got that it worked great have installed both 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 and everything is good to go. If you need any info be glad to help Im no guru but sometimes I know my {censored}.

Hey guys awesome post!! I have the exact laptop, but mine is the one from best buy. I am hoping this means nothing as far as installing OSX.

I found and would like to use this guide here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Can any of you tell me if that would work? I am downloading the retail ISO of OSX 10.6.3 and have [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Nvidia already.

Have an extra 80GB drive I use now for random storage. I REALLY wish i did not have to use the entire thing, but if I must I will.

GLAD to hear most if not everything works for you guys. Somewhat concerned with the reply with the quality of video being an issue for the one user.

Thank you for your replies and help. Going to take a week or so to gather all the info I need before i sacrifice my backup drive to OSX.

IMUS/Joe

Hey guys awesome post!! I have the exact laptop, but mine is the one from best buy. I am hoping this means nothing as far as installing OSX.

I found and would like to use this guide here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Can any of you tell me if that would work? I am downloading the retail ISO of OSX 10.6.3 and have [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Nvidia already.

Have an extra 80GB drive I use now for random storage. I REALLY wish i did not have to use the entire thing, but if I must I will.

GLAD to hear most if not everything works for you guys. Somewhat concerned with the reply with the quality of video being an issue for the one user.

Thank you for your replies and help. Going to take a week or so to gather all the info I need before i sacrifice my backup drive to OSX.

IMUS/Joe

Man the quality is not bad its just strange some times get weird white blocking around my wigets when I pull up the dashboard but it goes away as soon as I click on them. Otherwise the video quality is outstanding.

Hazard distro so far is the only distro I got to boot on my asus. Had to use cpus=1 that is a must asus uses alias P001 cpu coding in bios that mac can't read so you have to use the boot flag. Otherwise it works great get a copy of Hazard

Use artheros fix

elliiotslegacyforce fix

smbiosfix

ahcifix

io80211.kext and nvenabler 64.kext down loaded from net.

macam.kext

uuid

efi 10.5 bootloader

I think that is it.

I did the install so many times that I cant remember it all.

I had to google voodoohda and remember to delete disabler.kext and applehda.kext and something else cant remember and you should have audio video cam ethernet by default out of the box don't use any kext for it and nvenabler. Sorry for the spelling but this should work great for ya. I had to install about twelve times to get all the issues resolved but be patient and you will have a great hackintosh.

I've been updating since install from apple and no issues as of yet. If I run into any major issues will post back. Lets keep this going looks good.

As for 10.5.7 had to install to hd from a working install from my Gateway P7805u used a program called carbon copy worked great. Then used my working copy of Snow and carbon copied to my P7805u so now I have 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 on both laptops and working great.

Let me know if you need a kext will try to compress and email ya love to help. Knowledge is only knowledge if shared with everyone.

Man the quality is not bad its just strange some times get weird white blocking around my wigets when I pull up the dashboard but it goes away as soon as I click on them. Otherwise the video quality is outstanding.

Hazard distro so far is the only distro I got to boot on my asus. Had to use cpus=1 that is a must asus uses alias P001 cpu coding in bios that mac can't read so you have to use the boot flag. Otherwise it works great get a copy of Hazard

Use artheros fix

elliiotslegacyforce fix

smbiosfix

ahcifix

io80211.kext and nvenabler 64.kext down loaded from net.

macam.kext

uuid

efi 10.5 bootloader

I think that is it.

I did the install so many times that I cant remember it all.

I had to google voodoohda and remember to delete disabler.kext and applehda.kext and something else cant remember and you should have audio video cam ethernet by default out of the box don't use any kext for it and nvenabler. Sorry for the spelling but this should work great for ya. I had to install about twelve times to get all the issues resolved but be patient and you will have a great hackintosh.

I've been updating since install from apple and no issues as of yet. If I run into any major issues will post back. Lets keep this going looks good.

As for 10.5.7 had to install to hd from a working install from my Gateway P7805u used a program called carbon copy worked great. Then used my working copy of Snow and carbon copied to my P7805u so now I have 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 on both laptops and working great.

Let me know if you need a kext will try to compress and email ya love to help. Knowledge is only knowledge if shared with everyone.

Forgot with the IO80211 and atheros fix you should have a Atheros Extreme and it will be weird country code is wrong from me so I don't get as many channels so if your router is above channel 11 you won't see it in the connect window.

If you find someone who can fix this issue would be great can't use my airport at work because I can't see the channels. I have my router on channel 2 and it works great have no net issues and get full bandwidth.

I think that the atheros kext uses a bit more transmitt and recieve power because I see more routers in my neighbor hood than I have ever seen. Its weird but works for me. Hope FCC doesn't show up and fine me.

Sorry said nvenabler 64 im not using it Im using nvinject sorry about that.

OK - I am very new to this so be patient with me. :-)

Would you be so kind as to grab all your "kext" files that you needed to get the OS working properly and compress them in a windows format. Then maybe email them to me?

Also like i said I am very new so i have no clue where to get a hazard distro? Just torrent search?

BUNC do you have an IM service i could get ahold of you on? Would be awesome for asking questions if you would do that for me?

Did you check out that guide I posted? Could I install that way with my OSX 10.6.3 retail DVD and then use the kext files you said to get it working properly? OR do you think it would not work or boot/install at all this way?

Yea torrent search Hazard I sent you a pm so just read it as soon as I get your email then I will use a free service to upload the files to a host server I will compress zip so it should open in windows but first off the file will be 81mg but open up to about 236mg. Be sure after adding your kext to system/extentions folder that u use Kext tool in apps folder to repair permissions and boom reboot and you should have working audio video wireless and cam. The compression is done in mac so not sure that it will open in windows but give it shot it may.

The easiest way to start is to load Hazard with no drivers and just add my kext folder and boom!!!!!!

You will see what I'm talking about when you get the distro loaded on your machine.

Easiest way to copy over the kext is open a finder window after decompression and go to the kext folder and open extensions and on the first kext hold shift and select first kext while holding shift scroll down and select the last and then move to your extentions folder.

You will get some popup saying extentions will not load just ignore and repair permissions and reboot.

PM sent with my email address.

I burned the retail 10.6.3 ISO i had, and am going to try and get that installed. If that fails I will download Hazard distro and let u guide me through it.

Also- after burning the ISO the volume label is "BOOT CAMP" and when loaded via windows it iindeed trys to load boot camp. Is this normal??? I had an error trying to burn the ISO using IMG BURN, but success when using NERO.

Not sure if it was some error I dont know of or if it was to do with the speed at which I was trying to burn the DVD?

Again- Thank you very much!

Hey BUNC!!! Posting from OSX !! Installed using the guide I posted first, but I opted to try w/o removing my extra ram to get down to 4GB, and it worked fine.

Internet (WIFI) worked right out of the gate!!!

Going to download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] now so i can enable boot from disk.

Not sure if audio works because i came straight here.

One thing that is odd is that with Safari open i try to double click the top of the window to maximize it, and it does nothing. I also clicked the + which only moved the windowed to the top of the screen, but did not max it to my screen. It currently only took up the middle 3rd of the screen until I used the resize tab at the corner to drag it to the screen size.

Is that normal behavior?

Let me go through and see what works and what doesnt then maybe you could help me figurer it out.

\

EDIT--- AUDIO WORKS FINE

EDIT-- After installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I can not boot into OSX without using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Disc. Get an error related to dev/rdisk1s2 (Cant Initialize Disk Cache) Is there a fix?

Also my USB ports seem to go in and out therefor my mouse stops working, and i have to use the trackpad. I rebooted once and it worked again, but not sure what I changed to make it work or if it was random.

Sounds good usb may be a glitch it should work out of the box check your mouse it may be non mac compatible if it is one of those multi button gaming mouse.

Kext file is uploading you should get an email use what ya want! That is my whole extensions folder and everything there works great for my setup.

There is also a program called dsdt patcher run it and it produces patch file for more compatiblity with the bios.

why not just use efi 10.5 boot it gives you all the options to boot any other os. I have 10.5.8 10.6.3 and win 7 and it sees them all! And if I have a boot jump drive it will pic it up. But anyway doesn't matter really never heard of the one ur using!

I didn't have to remove any ram it should work fine without removing it have 6gig and it boots fine.

u should be able to update delete disabler.kext and applehda.kext and update via software update and it will work!

I can boot to hard drive using MAXMEM=4096 but I wonder if that isnt bytes not MB ?

Also when i boot that way my mousse works, but keyboard does not.

Downloading your file now, let you know how it goes.

Thanks

sounds like you need appleps2.kext to fix the no keyboard. You wont have that issue if you use the boot loader included on the hazard distro 10.5. I never had any issue with having to use maxmem=XXXXX that seems to be a issue with the kernel your using. The 10.5 allows for dsdt patching so that issue and others would be cleared up I would recommend reloading with Hazard and using the included kext that are listed on the above posts. Because I have never ran into those problems at all.

[MODERATOR EDIT: Link removed due to rules violation]

Follow my instructions

Use Bootloader PC EFI 10.5

if you have my kext the only thing you might need is smbios

I've tried several different ways but using the distro after you copy to disc at the darwin boot promt press F8 and use -v cpus=1 that will get the distro to boot up u can use disk utility and partition the drive how ever you like and chose atherosfix.kext and IO80211.kext and pretty much everyting else you need is in the kext folder after copying over kext use kext helper will be in your apps folder and repair permissions and reboot should be good to go no mem=XXXX u wont need it.

After install delete disabler.kext and sleep.kext ? it something like that and update via software update everything should work.

Edited by MaLd0n
No posting of direct or indirect links to warez or pirated pieces of software, this includes cracks, serials and torrents.

Tried the hazard diisc, and it installed came to the installation failed screen at the end. I rebooted to the loader(chameleon i think they call it) and it loaded OSX's white screen where the activity thing was spinning below the logo. Then the screen goes gray and a box comes up and says I HAVE TO REBOOT HOLD THE POWER BUTTON AND THEN PRESS IT AGAIN. -- it had like five languages that said this.

Because this version of the loader seemed to have no issue loading the OSX from hard drive I tried just reinstalling my retail copy using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but not formatting the drive to keep the loader intact. This produced the same effects with the gray screen and the reboot computer screen.

Man this sucks... EVERYTHING works great after initial boot after retail install but as soon as i load [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/chameleon it goes bad.

SUCKS....

i have img burn- Download is done so i am going to try it.

wish me luck.

Can i update to 10.6.3 once installed or will that mess it up?

if u delete the two kext first u can those will cause kernel panic after update!!!!

disabler.kext

applehda.kext

Man Hazard will work are you custmizing your install after you chose your drive to install on did you proceed to next screen and click on custimize. That is where you will choose your bootloader and other kext to get it to boot then after install should get the congrats screen with a check mark. I had a bad copy of Hazard at one time it didn't burn correctly so you may want to let disc check run during install that may solve one issue. I will be up tomorrow give me a call I will walk you through it. If it is long distance and you can't call pm your number and I will go through it with you. We can get ya a good OSX machine mine is going great.

Well the hazard distro only worked using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd.

I tried clean install of 10.6.3 then manually installing chameleon 2 rc4 then using PC EFI boot instead of chameleons.

No GO..

After i tried PC EFI boot 10.5

No GO..

I tried to reboot to windows to report and I get a lovely NTLDR missing error which i love because this means one thing as Im sure you know.

So here i am...

Pretty sure I am done trying until something new happens to try.. as it is right now Nothing i tried or was pointed towards worked to enable boot from hard drive after install.

My G72gx is the one from bestbuy which is a slightly different model than one purchased elsewhere. This might be why it is failing for me and working awesome for you.

hazard will only boot with cpus=1 that is the only way to get it to boot did you set bios to boot cdrom after it starts to load darwin press F8 and type -v cpus=1 and the hazard distro will boot. It will not boot any other way. If you decide to try again let me know I promise this distro works great. As for the ntlrd error if you have a win 7 disc you can repair the boot sector there is nothing wrong with the drive itself ran into that issue many times with vista and win 7. Not sure why you ended up with that problem unless you replace the boot loader with chamelon it is not compatible with win 7 as far as I know.