647 replies to this topic

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !

Thank you THe KiNG, Tetonne, mosslack, Kappy and CMOSQ for your recent work on the Mini 311c !

I have an old dual boot installation (OS X 10.6.5 and Windows WP) based on Mowglibook's retail pack 1.2.
It runs very well, but lots of different installations were made on (and hopefully wiped from) this drive before.

That's why I want to try a new dual boot install from scratch (on an other drive) to have the cleanest possible result.

I downloaded Tetonne's Mini 311 Retail Pack 201100301 to read the howtos and "Read me" files before installing. I noticed that some of the files are empty (size = 0 Byte) :
/BIOS/Read Me BIOS Flash:Recovery.textClipping
/BIOS/WARNING.textClipping
/Bootloader/Download Lizard.webloc
I already have Lizard, and read the other missing files in the past. So I do not need them.
I just want to help and track all bugs.

By the way. I still have Icelord's F.15 BIOS. Is there any drawback keeping it ?
I know that F.16 is out and stable, but I try to avoid firmware updates...

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Apology accepted.

I think it's far better to learn how to install the retail pack and deal with the problems manually as you go than to have someone else do the work for you (especially if that person if a novice themselves).

I never said I would or could do it better than you.

I found this file in my /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder so I deleted it, this is not related to your pack as I stated. On the trackpad issue however, in my /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder I had a Trackpad.prefPane.backup file and my System Preferences would not open. It turns out that this backup file was in there because you mistakenly put a space in the /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder in your installer so the correct file copied over to the WRONG place. Why don't you do some more testing before you release these things or better yet, give them up altogether and use your excellent writing skills to produce good documentation.

you're right, must have been the scotch. I've heard the word segway being used as a verb many times at different places by native English speakers. I don't need you to correct my English and I only need to remind you that there are many people of many different nationalities who speak many different native languages so correcting someone on a likely unintentional misuse of a word is simply an attempt to belittle others and is plain rude... You want more Englsh, KMA.. Go and figure out what that means.

In my system, there is, otherwise you get an "Operation not permitted".

I was not attempting to correct your English but to inform you of the misuse of the word. If you were insulted then know that was not the intent. Your English writing is very good, and you have nothing in your profile to indicate that English is a second language for you. Most non-English speakers don't mind learning when they have made a mistake. Now, telling me to KYA is indeed rude and uncalled for.

I will make an effort to assure the installer package works properly. As I said before it has worked with my system without any problem, but that does not mean a problem may not exist. Although I haven't the programming experience of TheKing I have done lots of programming in the past. I am pretty familiar with the PackageMaker and am no novice.

I do find it off-putting when someone is so critical of other's work yet have no interest in contributing. In the future if you find a problem please just report it to me.

EDIT:

I have checked and double-checked the installer package. All the files/folders are being installed in their correct locations. I have used the package on my own Mini 311, and the installation was perfect. I have also installed on a freshly partitioned and erased USB stick that works fine starting up the Mini 311 indicating there is no issue with the installation of Chameleon.

I did some minor repackaging and made both the Trackpad and Chameleon Preference Panes optional installation items. I verified all the file and folder permissions and checked the scripts. I've added a short document file to explain the installer and what is installed. I've also include a Terminal command script to use if the Trackpad preference pane isn't working right after the installation.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !

I tried to make a new install from scratch.
I followed Mr Fusion's guide updated by Tetonne here.
I ended up with the same result as MiniBookAir here :
-
HFS+ Unicode tables are malformed

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

I am sure I did not mix with an old install, as this was installed from scratch.

I still have Icelord's F.15 BIOS. Could this be a BIOS incompatibility ?
MiniBookAir, what's your BIOS version ?

Another possible incompatibility is the partition scheme. I chose a GUID Partition Table. Was I wrong ?

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

JBraddock

JBraddock

Ph.D (Can) in Human Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

EDIT:

I have checked and double-checked the installer package. All the files/folders are being installed in their correct locations. I have used the package on my own Mini 311, and the installation was perfect. I have also installed on a freshly partitioned and erased USB stick that works fine starting up the Mini 311 indicating there is no issue with the installation of Chameleon.

I did some minor repackaging and made both the Trackpad and Chameleon Preference Panes optional installation items. I verified all the file and folder permissions and checked the scripts. I've added a short document file to explain the installer and what is installed. I've also include a Terminal command script to use if the Trackpad preference pane isn't working right after the installation.

My guess is that since he run the installer on a working system which was built on a different installer or possibly different kexts, your installer might have failed to quite replace the existing files but instead added new files to them, which might have created conflicting kexts or settings.

Just my two cents.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

My guess is that since he run the installer on a working system which was built on a different installer or possibly different kexts, your installer might have failed to quite replace the existing files but instead added new files to them, which might have created conflicting kexts or settings.

Just my two cents.

@ JBraddock:

You certainly have a good idea. One of the things I did check was to be sure that all the "known" items that need to be removed are erased prior to installing the new files, but there could always be something that is missed.

It's usually best to test these installers on freshly installed systems to avoid such problems when possible.

@ Cobus and MiniBookAir:

I currently use the F.15 hacked BIOS from Icelord. Have been for quite some time. My drive as well as the USB flash drives I use are all partitioned and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility. My installed OS X system is presently 10.6.6.

The installer package currently on the MediaFire site has been quite stable since it is essentially the same files provided by MowgliBook in his Retail Pack 1.2. The only change is the DSDT file which is intended to provide modifications for use with both 2 and 3 GB memory installations.

I have tested the installer on my Mini 311's hard drive. I have installed it on a USB flash drive that has been used to boot my Mini 311 successfully. I have no other means of verification. Since it is working here I have to assume it should work in the wild.

All I can suggest is that either you repartition and reformat your hard drive and start from scratch or be sure you leave no pieces or parts of some prior installation setup such as old kexts, a still existent EFI boot partition, etc.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I currently use the F.15 hacked BIOS from Icelord.
[...]
partitioned and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility.

Thank you for your info and help !
The install I tried was with Tetonne's Retail Pack 20110301. I prefer to install components myself, to better understand what is under the hood, and use the most recent updates. I just use the Finder, Terminal, and Kext Utility.

Your installer package will be my rescue boat if it happens I am too dumb to sort things out with the help of the forums. :)

Your Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format was done with a GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme, wasn't it ?

All I can suggest is that either you repartition and reformat your hard drive and start from scratch or be sure you leave no pieces or parts of some prior installation setup such as old kexts, a still existent EFI boot partition, etc.

I already installed from scratch.
I can try again, but if I do not alter my procedure, I will end up with the same result. :thumbsup_anim:

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Thank you for your info and help !
The install I tried was with Tetonne's Retail Pack 20110301. I prefer to install components myself, to better understand what is under the hood, and use the most recent updates. I just use the Finder, Terminal, and Kext Utility.

Your installer package will be my rescue boat if it happens I am too dumb to sort things out with the help of the forums. ;)

Your Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format was done with a GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme, wasn't it ?

I already installed from scratch.
I can try again, but if I do not alter my procedure, I will end up with the same result. :wacko:

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

@ Cobus:

Yes, I use the GUID partition scheme and OS Extended (Journaled) formatting.

Anyhoo, TheKing discovered something I had not noticed. The installer includes a VooDooPS next that should not be installed. It can cause KPs. I will fix it ASAP and upload a new installer version. Meanwhile check your Extensions folder for both the ApplePS2 and VooDooPS2 kexts. Delete the latter if the former is also there - ApplePS2Controller.kext or VoodooPS2Controller.kext but not both. The latter was NOT part of Retail Pack 1.2, so that would be the better one to remove.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

check your Extensions folder
[...]
ApplePS2Controller.kext or VoodooPS2Controller.kext but not both.

Hi there !

I checked. No VoodooPS2Controller.kext here.
Thank you for caring !

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
@MiniBookAir : thank you for the feedback (on the project thread) on how well Kappy's installer performs ! :)
@Kappy : thank you for your installer

Previous Howtos from LeMaurien 19 helped me A LOT. But the one your referring to here only works if you already have a working install of OS X for the Mini 311.

I am trying to install from scratch to avoid all gizmos left by previous installs, and because I want to be able to reinstall everything if a day comes, when my install becomes corrupt (the corrupt install obviously won't help do the next one).
I will try Kappy's installer later, if we cannot sort out the bugs of the manual install.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

@MiniBookAir : thank you for the feedback (on the project thread) on how well Kappy's installer performs ! :(
@Kappy : thank you for your installer

Previous Howtos from LeMaurien 19 helped me A LOT. But the one your referring to here only works if you already have a working install of OS X for the Mini 311.

I am trying to install from scratch to avoid all gizmos left by previous installs, and because I want to be able to reinstall everything if a day comes, when my install becomes corrupt (the corrupt install obviously won't help do the next one).
I will try Kappy's installer later, if we cannot sort out the bugs of the manual install.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

@ COBUS:

Here's what I do. It does require a Mac. Use an 8 GB flash drive partitioned GUID and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Use Disk Utility to clone an OS X Installer DVD to the flash drive. Download the Mini 311 USB for OS X Installer from my MediaFire site. Use it to install Chameleon and boot files to the flash drive. Boot the Mini from the flash drive and install OS X onto your Mini.

Restart the Mini from the flash drive, but when Chameleon appears change the startup drive from the flash drive to the newly installed OS X. Go through the Setup Assistant to complete the installation. At this point you have two options. Either use the Mini 311 USB for OS X Installer to install Chameleon and boot files onto the Mini's hard drive or use the Mini 311 Installer - Stable 1.11 installer to put Chameleon and boot files onto the Mini's hard drive.

This is the method that I use. If you don't have a Mac then I'm not sure what to do. You could use MowgliBook's installer CD .iso burned to a CD and follow his instructions. LeMaurien19 has a tutorial, I believe, from some time ago posted on her blog site. There also may be some disk partitioning software for Windows 7 that will partition a drive using GPT (GUID) and also format for a Mac as well as do disk cloning. Partition Magic comes to mind but there are others, I'm sure, some of which may even be freeware.

I hope this helps.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello !

@Kappy :
Thank you for your message, Kappy !

Like you, I clone an OS X Installer DVD to a 8 GB flash drive. The only difference is that my chameleon boot files are one year older and are on another flash drive (128 MB). I do not install Chameleon on the 8 GB "OS X Installer DVD flash clone".
But as long as it lets the "OS X Installer DVD flash clone" start up, I don't think it makes any difference.

I install OS X on the internal hard disk, go through the Setup Assistant to complete the installation, and run SoftWare update. Then restart and install Chameleon in the internal HD.
In fact, I follow Mr Fusion's guide updated by Tetonne here.

After all is finished, I can start Mac OS X 10.6.6 with the latest updates, as long as my old 128 MB Chameleon flash drive is plugged in. But if I restart without it, I have the following error right after the BIOS red splash screen :
-
HFS+ Unicode tables are malformed

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!
I think, this is related to my boot file or the Chameleon install on the internal HD : the problem happens before the bootable volumes are displayed.

The root cause may be :
  • my 128 MB Chameleon flash drive interferes in the install process, breaking it
  • the boot file included in Tetonne's Retail Pack 20110301 has a problem
  • the Chameleon version included in Tetonne's Retail Pack 20110301 has a problem with our install

@Tetonne : did you try to install your Retail Pack 20110301 from scratch, or only on an already installed System ?

@Kappy again :

Either use the Mini 311 USB for OS X Installer to install Chameleon and boot files onto the Mini's hard drive or use the Mini 311 Installer - Stable 1.11 installer to put Chameleon and boot files onto the Mini's hard drive.

Isn't the "Mini 311 USB for OS X Installer" the same thing as the "Mini 311 Installer - Stable 1.11" ?

As I understand things, both are your (Kappy's) installers.
It is nice of you trying to help me use your installers, but as I already wrote, I prefer to install components myself, to better understand what is under the hood, and use the most recent updates.
I understand it can be a bit frustrating for you, to create an installer and meet people that do everything they can NOT to use it. I apologize for that. :thumbsup_anim:
I am very reluctant to using your installer, because I will not be aware of / remember what alterations are made to my System and root folders.
This could compromise my ability to wipe it all before updating again in several months.

By the way, I have a real Mac to help me create my flash drives. Again, thanks for caring, and thanks for your help !

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I dug a little bit more.

I opened the /boot file with TextEdit. I found my error messages inside :
"HFS+ Unicode tables are malformed"
and
"This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!"
(just search for "Unicode" and "recoverable" if you want to check).

I tried to edit the /boot file ("sudo pico /boot" in Terminal), to alter the spelling of the error messages (my goal was to confirm that the /boot file used was indeed the one on the internal HD).
Upon next boot, the error message could not be displayed anymore. After the dash sign "-", the mini 311 rebooted (and kept on rebooting until I stopped it).
I replaced the altered /boot file with the original one. The mini 311 could display the error messages back.

Conclusions :
  • the /boot file used is indeed the one on the internal HD
  • the error message we have (MiniBookAir and me) are generated by (or with the help of) the /boot file

But I still do not know why these error messages are displayed. If anyone knows the internals of Chameleon (Meklort, Maybe ? :) ), any help is welcome.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I dug a little bit more.

I opened the /boot file with TextEdit. I found my error messages inside :
"HFS+ Unicode tables are malformed"
and
"This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!"
(just search for "Unicode" and "recoverable" if you want to check).

I tried to edit the /boot file ("sudo pico /boot" in Terminal), to alter the spelling of the error messages (my goal was to confirm that the /boot file used was indeed the one on the internal HD).
Upon next boot, the error message could not be displayed anymore. After the dash sign "-", the mini 311 rebooted (and kept on rebooting until I stopped it).
I replaced the altered /boot file with the original one. The mini 311 could display the error messages back.

Conclusions :

• the /boot file used is indeed the one on the internal HD
  • the error message we have (MiniBookAir and me) are generated by (or with the help of) the /boot file

But I still do not know why these error messages are displayed. If anyone knows the internals of Chameleon (Meklort, Maybe ? :rolleyes: ), any help is welcome.

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

@ Cobus:

I have never come across that error myself. I wonder if it may be the wrong 'boot' file. What you might do is to go to Retail Pack 1.2 and install the Extra folder and the 'boot' file from it. Use the Terminal to install Chameleon. This way you can be sure that all the files are from the same Retail Pack 1.2.

The Mini USB Installer is not the same as the other. The USB installer is from a much older source made specifically for installing on a USB flash drive.

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
be aware to avoid mix of packs :
boot for this packs are different :
- Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110119.zip (Chameleon v671)
- Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110223.zip (Chameleon v771)
Extra files are different too

link for packages is : http://www.mediafire.com/tetonne

all packages have been uploaded again (0 size files issues solved)
FYI :
Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110301 have been downloaded 15 times
Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110223 have been downloaded 37 times
Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110119 have been downloaded 69 times

some of us have issue with pack and clean re install
other have sucessfull install
what about adding the pack id you're using in your signature?

Cobus

Cobus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you Kappy and Tetonne for your help !

Yesterday (before Tetonne's post), I followed Kappy's advice : I tried to replace the boot file and some kexts of Retail Pack 20110301 with files from Retail Pack 20110119.
I knew it was a dirty try, but it improved things : I could see the Apple logo above a grey background, and the spinning clock before a kernel panic happened. At least, Mac OS had time to begin its startup.

Cobus.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
looks like 10.6.7 is released, any news from early takers that it works without breaking our Mini 311?

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

looks like 10.6.7 is released, any news from early takers that it works without breaking our Mini 311?

I updated from 10.6.7 combo. I had to reapply patched AppleHDA. Everything else is the same as far as I can tell.

-MH

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I updated from 10.6.7 combo. I had to reapply patched AppleHDA. Everything else is the same as far as I can tell.

-MH

I just updated the machine, applied the patched AppleHDA, and I could say the machine will have KP (not stable) after resume from sleep.

I could reproduce this easily:

- sleep the machine

- resume

- open XCode

- KP

Most of the time it was kextd that complained.

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

I just updated the machine, and I could say the machine will have KP (not stable) after resume from sleep.

Most of the time it was kextd that complained.

No sleep KPs here. My mini is/has been very stable. I'm using Cham rev 653 for 3GB from your post. Also, I'm using the first version of injector.kext which I noticed affected stability if removed.

-MH

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
I have no problems so far. Used software update all was working like before (the download was > 300 mb).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy