• This topic is locked This topic is locked
647 replies to this topic

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Shades of Dr. Hurt perhaps? I'll look at it, God I hate programming, makes my brain hurt!

Mine, too. :angel: But no escaping it as far as I could tell. Believe me, I tried. If Lizard worked then it would have been much simpler.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Mine, too. :( But no escaping it as far as I could tell. Believe me, I tried. If Lizard worked then it would have been much simpler.

I know when I made the 1201N installer, and the original Mini 311 installer for that matter, I just borrowed Stellarola's installer package for the UD3P and changed the files. It was much easier than writing code and he is much, much better at it. I did ask and he said he didn't mind.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I know when I made the 1201N installer, and the original Mini 311 installer for that matter, I just borrowed Stellarola's installer package for the UD3P and changed the files. It was much easier than writing code and he is much, much better at it. I did ask and he said he didn't mind.

Oh, I'm all for borrowing. Why reinvent the wheel when someone else has probably done it better than you could.

I'm thankful so many more brilliant minds than mine have already traveled down the same road.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
I did a mistake (well, a test that went wrong actually) installing Chameleon into Windows NTFS partition
I reinstalled it again into OS X partition and I could boot into OSX.

However the NTFS partition is not visible anymore, Windows diskpart utility sees it as RAW partition.

Is there a way to repair this NTFS partition?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I did a mistake (well, a test that went wrong actually) installing Chameleon into Windows NTFS partition
I reinstalled it again into OS X partition and I could boot into OSX.

However the NTFS partition is not visible anymore, Windows diskpart utility sees it as RAW partition.

Is there a way to repair this NTFS partition?

You can use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your OS X partition somewhere safe (external hard drive) and repartition the hard drive then copy the OS X partition back. There are also Windows clone tools you can use to do the same thing for a Windows partition if you need to save that also. I like this one the best:

http://www.terabyteu...for-windows.htm

HTH

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
After Mowglibook's GO, I'll try to to step into Mowglibook' shoes
and keep the packs up to date *

NEW PACK :
Mini 311 Retail Pack 20110119 here
it's for 2Gb memory don't know if it work for 3Gb

More info about this pack 20110119 in the read me first included in the pack

before updating read the read me first, Remember do not mix pack
special Thanks to THe KiNG & Mowglibook cos they bring us those sources.

*more information very soon ;-)

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hello Tetonne:

Thanks for stepping in and helping us with our Mini. I just have a couple of requests about the new pack:

Can you show on #1 below on the instructions the commands to manually install the bootloader? I know that I can find them myself and I have done this before but it's not something I do everyday, even though I prefer this "hands on approach" because you learn more from it. For the sake of good documentation in the pack, can you please put this in there?

For #3, can you be a little more specific about the KextUtility step? I've tried to drag multiple kexts into KextUtility, is this the right way to install kexts using this program or do I need to drag one at a time without waiting for permissions to repair or can I cancel the permissions repair until I finish installing the final kext? Also, it would be real nice if someone who has a 3GB mini would post if the 20110223 pack worked on theirs... Thanks Tetonne and all the others for your time and efforts.

From the readme first.rtf in the pack...

Instructions for install

1- Install the bootloader included for hibernation, kernel patching, and many other fixes.

use the terminal to install Chameleon

2- Copy the Extra folder to the root of your drive

use KextUtility to make the mkext (very important)

3- Install the kexts in the "kexts" folder using KextUtility

NB : for sleep to work you need to uncheck "Use secure virtual memory" in the Security Prefpane.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Hello Tetonne:

Thanks for stepping in and helping us with our Mini. I just have a couple of requests about the new pack:

Can you show on #1 below on the instructions the commands to manually install the bootloader? I know that I can find them myself and I have done this before but it's not something I do everyday, even though I prefer this "hands on approach" because you learn more from it. For the sake of good documentation in the pack, can you please put this in there?

Here are the terminal instructions. HTH

http://bit.ly/dJd10p

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Hello Tetonne:

for sure! :(
Here are the terminal instructions. thanks to mosslack.
i will add this in the read me first.

For #3, can you be a little more specific about the KextUtility step? I've tried to drag multiple kexts into KextUtility, is this the right way to install kexts using this program or do I need to drag one at a time without waiting for permissions to repair or can I cancel the permissions repair until I finish installing the final kext? ../..

i'll try to : in fact when all sources are installed at the correct place.
launch KextUtility, it auto run and at the end propose to quit (take about 3min on my minibook)
personnaly I always repair permissions after this (with Disk Utility)
then reboot

../..Also, it would be real nice if someone who has a 3GB mini would post if the 20110223 pack worked on theirs... Thanks Tetonne and all the others for your time and efforts.

20110223 works with 2 or 3Gb auto detect memory.
20110119 sure work on 2Gb but i'm not sure on 3Gb (see on dev site)
FYI, I communicate on 20110119 because it's stable and is ready for anyboby.

for 20110223 use, please go on dev site, read information and the feed back.
(you'll have to add last THe KiNG .kext to have bluetooth OK)

in General, when sources are confirmed as ready for distribution on the dev site, i'll make a new pack and share it
is it ok for u?
regards

Update : 20110119 has been update with new read me first

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
i find this may be it can help :

../..

To go from nothing to 10.6.56 right now:

1) Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 using an 8GB USB Drive, restored from a Mac OS X Install DVD image in Disk Utility. To boot it, I used MowgliBook's BootCD.iso combined with the latest version of MultiBoot USB on a smaller 32MB USB Drive.
**- I like BootCD.iso for a couple reasons: It works flawlessly to boot Installer and your Hard Disk (it even says "Install Succeeded" with the big check mark at the end!) and boots everything in GUI mode. If there's another way to use BootCD.iso instead of in conjunction with MultiBoot USB, let me know. Can it be used as a standalone file?

2) Downloaded and installed the 10.6.56 Combo Updater. Restarted, using BootCD.iso to boot my HDD again, and ran Software Update to finish updating everything. Restarted using BootCD.iso again.

3) MANUALLY INSTALLED CHAMELEON off Retail Pack 1.2Mini 311 Retail Pack 2011xxxx. Accomplished this by following these steps:

- Opening Terminal, cd to the i386 folder inside the Bootloader folder.

- Type "diskutil list" to show the HDD's partitions. Mine looked like this:

start up disk should be disk0s1 ???

- Type "sudo newfs_hfs /dev/disk0s1" to erase the EFI partition.

- Type "./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0" to install boot0 to MBR [Master Boot Record?] I read somewhere
"fdisk" is a built-in OS X executable file, so to use the local one in the Retail Pack, type "./Nameoffile". Also, this
fdisk440 is supposidly important to use if you are also booting Windows 7 on your machine.

- Type "dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2" to copy boot1h to your Mac partition. In both cases here the "r" in "rdisk_"
is important. If omitted, it'll give you some weird resource is busy error.

- Type "cp boot /" or "cp boot /Volumes/yourharddrivenamehere" or simply drag and drop the boot file into your
root directory.

- Type the following sequence: "sudo ./fdisk440 -e /dev/disk0" & "f 2" & "write" & "y" & "exit" which will make the
partition active.

- That's it for the Terminal, now simply drag and drop the Extras folder to your root directory and Chameleon is
installed! Yay!!

4) Copied all kexts from the kext folder to S/L/E and ran KextUtility.

5) Restarted, booted into Installer using BootCD.iso again and did a Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility

I think it is still true? ;-)

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
i bought PCI-E Sierra Wireless MC8775 3G WWAN 3,6

how can i upgrade to 7.2? how to use on minibook?
(i've got SierraMC8775.kext installed)
thanks

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
I plan to update my Mini with an SSD the best would be one in the mini_pcie Slot so that i can left the HDD for Files and Windows. Does anyone know if the minis miniPCIe Slot (full hight) supports SSDs?

Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

I plan to update my Mini with an SSD the best would be one in the mini_pcie Slot so that i can left the HDD for Files and Windows. Does anyone know if the minis miniPCIe Slot (full hight) supports SSDs?

I have been researching this issue lately. I have no interest in a wwan module and I thought this would be a great upgrade. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be possible. There are currently SSD modules that will fit in the slot but they are designed to connect to the hard drive controller and not the pci-express bus. I have not found anyone who has got this working.

-MH

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
Thats a pity. It could be such a nice addition.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
For those who are interested:

I have posted a new installer package for Chameleon and necessary support files for you HP Mini 311. It is named Mini 311 Installer - Stable.mpkg.zip. You can download it from my MediaFire site.

Please enjoy!

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

For those who are interested:

I have posted a new installer package for Chameleon and necessary support files for you HP Mini 311. It is named Mini 311 Installer - Stable.mpkg.zip. You can download it from my MediaFire site.

Please enjoy!

I'm currently running the latest stuff on the projectosx page as compiled by Tetonne which is the same as what you have here in your pack. The only issue that I have with my mini is that the computer stays on when I use hibernate, it writes the memory contents to the hard drive and it stays on until you shut it down or it runs out of battery, when you turn it back on, it resumes correctly...

http://www.projectos...?...ost&p=13111

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I'm currently running the latest stuff on the projectosx page as compiled by Tetonne which is the same as what you have here in your pack. The only issue that I have with my mini is that the computer stays on when I use hibernate, it writes the memory contents to the hard drive and it stays on until you shut it down or it runs out of battery, when you turn it back on, it resumes correctly...

http://www.projectos...?...ost&p=13111

CMOSQ:

The installer I just uploaded is not quite the same as Tetonne's. He is including all the most recent updates many of which are still not finalized. While the package I assembled is entirely Mowgli's original Retail Pack 1.2 but a slightly more recent DSDT file. I've also added the three utilities as an option.

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

CMOSQ:

The installer I just uploaded is not quite the same as Tetonne's. He is including all the most recent updates many of which are still not finalized. While the package I assembled is entirely Mowgli's original Retail Pack 1.2 but a slightly more recent DSDT file. I've also added the three utilities as an option.

Just installed it on a perfectly working Mini and I get a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". This also happened to me the last time I installed one of your packs. I don't see what the problem is, I downloaded it to the hard drive and ran it from there....

UPDATE:

I reinstalled Chameleon using the following instructions:

Right clicked on your package and found the Chameleon i386 folder and copied it to my HD, then I opened Terminal and "cd /i386"

sudo ./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp boot /

sudo ./fdisk440 -e /dev/disk0" & "f 2" & "write" & "y" & "exit" which will make the
partition active.

After I fixed Chameleon it booted and I then put my mini to sleep, it woke up just fine but my USB bluetooth adapter did not work upon wake, so I unplugged and replugged it and I got a KP... Rebooted with a -f and then did:

sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Caches/*
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo reboot

even after I did this, I get KP after waking using sleep, in addition, my bluetooth mouse takes much longer to get working after booting up (about 10 seconds compared to almost immediately before).

Now the good side, I opened up terminal and did "sudo pmset hibernatemode 25" and put the computer to sleep which is actually hibernate in this mode and it worked 100%, woke up just fine and very quickly and the bluetooth connected right away... This is actually the preferred mode for me because it takes no time at all to resume.

I'm unable to open System Preferences anymore, it quits unexpectedly. I discovered a FakeSMC.kext in there so I deleted it, probably not related to your pack... What I did find is a file called trackpad.prefpane.backup so I moved that to the desktop and then deleted it from /System/Library/Preference Panes and I was then able to get into Preference Panes... I removed the .backup from the file and moved it back in and it still works...

It took a while but it's done!

I was able to fix this because of what I've learned in the time since I started Hackintoshing, it's a great way to learn more about OSX and a great way to appreciate the $$$ of doing this versus going and buying a real MacBook Air (which is much cheaper than this!) but if it wasn't for what I know now after reading this forum for months I wouldn't have figured myself out of this and simply concluded that Kappy's install pack screwed up my computer... In short, I think you should get out of this pack business so that folks like theKing can go about the real work... These packs are a real segway to progress... IMHO...

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

CMOSQ:

I'm sorry you had such a problem. I have tested the installer on my system and have not had any problems. But I appreciate your feedback despite the snide comment at the end. I'll look into the problems you've cited and try to assure the installer works as it should.

Since no one is doing anything similar there is an open need for a simple to use installer for people who are less capable than you. Neither TheKing nor Slice nor any of those working on this software will create an installer I feel someone needs to. If you think you can do it better than I (apparently you do) then you are more than welcome to take up the challenge. If not then instead of being critical try being helpful.

The fakesmc.kext file is provided with the Retail Pack 1.2 by Mowglibook and is required. If you wish the trackpad to operated properly then you need to leave the Trackpad.prefpane file as is.

Kappy

PS: The word "segway" refers to the self-balancing transportation device. The word "segue" means to make a transition from one thing to another smoothly and without interruption. You might try the word "barrier."

There's no need to use "sudo" in front of "reboot."

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I'm sorry you had such a problem.

Apology accepted.

there is an open need for a simple to use installer for people who are less capable than you. Neither TheKing nor Slice nor any of those working on this software will create an installer I feel someone needs to.

I think it's far better to learn how to install the retail pack and deal with the problems manually as you go than to have someone else do the work for you (especially if that person if a novice themselves).

If you think you can do it better than I (apparently you do)

I never said I would or could do it better than you.

The fakesmc.kext file is provided with the Retail Pack 1.2 by Mowglibook and is required. If you wish the trackpad to operated properly then you need to leave the Trackpad.prefpane file as is.

I found this file in my /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder so I deleted it, this is not related to your pack as I stated. On the trackpad issue however, in my /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder I had a Trackpad.prefPane.backup file and my System Preferences would not open. It turns out that this backup file was in there because you mistakenly put a space in the /System/Library/PreferencePanes folder in your installer so the correct file copied over to the WRONG place. Why don't you do some more testing before you release these things or better yet, give them up altogether and use your excellent writing skills to produce good documentation.

PS: The word "Segway" refers to the self-balancing transportation device. The word "segue" means to make a transition from one thing to another smoothly and without interruption. You might try the word "barrier."

you're right, must have been the scotch. I've heard the word segway being used as a verb many times at different places by native English speakers. I don't need you to correct my English and I only need to remind you that there are many people of many different nationalities who speak many different native languages so correcting someone on a likely unintentional misuse of a word is simply an attempt to belittle others and is plain rude... You want more Englsh, KMA.. Go and figure out what that means.

There's no need to use "sudo" in front of "reboot."

In my system, there is, otherwise you get an "Operation not permitted".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy