HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests PART II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
647 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Welcome back MowgliBook. This is great news as it does make for some confusion trying to remove AppleHDA, etc. Thanks!

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Hi guys,

I'm back (a least for a while....)

First of all thanks to everyone managing this project and sharing stuff. Being able to use voodooHDA is a great leap, I love it ! I hope some new stuff is going to come for the trackpad as well... !?

I'll look into it as soon as I can.

I've juste edited the DSDT not to have to remove AppleHDA (I removed the HDEF of the DSDT)
This way it makes the computer update proof (for now)

may i know what is the version? is this F14?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Alright, creating a thread for using NBBM/NBI. Hopefully I can be the brawn and a couple of others can be the brains.

I can only guess you were to modest to include a link, but in case anybody wants to contribute or try this, you can find it here:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=215885

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
UPDATE: Because I desperately wanna be able to boot non verbose mode (I'm frivolous that way) yet still have good sleep on hibernatemode 0, I've been experimenting with the locations of additional kexts for the HP Mini 311 as well as the best way to build Extensions.mkext in /EFI/Extra/Ext.

Here's what works for me (I'm still observing it, but it's felt stable so far)
* /S/L/E
- VoodooHDA - I'm using VoodooHDA for faster boot up and auto mic re-channel. v2.5.3 because 2.5.4 though louder doesn't really allow me to adjust volume; 2.5.4 is only LOUD and LOUD and I don't know why

* /EFI/Extra/Extensions
- AppleACPIBatteryManager
- AppleACPIPS2Controller
- ApplePS2Controller
- CPUInjector
- Disabler
- fakesmc
- SleepEnabler
- VoodooPowerMini

* Extensions.mkext in /EFI/Extra/Extensions made up of /EFI/Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions

Observations: VoodooHDA seems stable in /S/L/E; when booting with -f it's no longer unloaded or seen as "alien". This is unlike ApplePS2Controller and I suppose, AppleACPIPS2Nub as well, which is excluded when booting with -f mode.

@poofyhairguy
I tried your VoodooPS2Controller for the HP Mini 311 as well as put AppleACPIPS2Nub in /S/L/E. Normally I wouldn't have put AppleACPIPS2Nub cause if I remember right, it would cause KP when VoodooPS2 is installed as well....but in this case, it didn't KP. In fact, I wasn't able to use trackpad and keyboard without PS2Nub in /S/L/E together with VoodooPS2.

What I don't like though is how this has remapped my keys in such a way that I lost Cmd key at the right side of the space bar. See pic below:

In the old ApplePS2Controller + AppleACPIPS2Nub, I have 2 Cmd keys = 2 Alt keys on the physical keyboard.

I haven't tested if it would allow me to to resume from sleep fine with non verbose mode. If that's possible, I may actually learn to love this new VoodooPS2. :)

EDIT: So I have this config:
/E/E - with ketcache in /E/E composed only of /Extra/Extensions
1. AppleACPIBattMgr
2. CPUInjector
3. Disabler
4. fakesmc
5. SleepEnabler
6. VoodooPowerMini

/S/L/E
1. VoodooPS2Controller (poofyhairguy bundle)
2. AppleACPIPS2Nub (poofyhairguy bundle)
3. VoodooHDA (I've been experiencing randomness in terms of behavior so put it directly in /S/L/E for observation)

Result: Resume from sleep (clamshell sleep, normal sleep via Apple Menu) => BLANK SCREEN.

Attached Files

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I removed the link to the DSDT, I'll make a new DSDT from F14. [as soon as possible]

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
How can I thank you enough Mowglibook?

I've been looking at the current DSDT and I'm overwhelmed, like, where do I start with this? @_@

You're one of the pioneers on this project and everyone in the community is so glad to have you back!

PS. I was experimenting a bit on meklort's CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols but just couldn't make it work - I've been getting "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly.." (screen image of kernel panic at boot)
Now when I check the HPET method in the current DSDT, it seems fixed, in that it has the IRQ values as suggested by DSDTSE fixes with the IRQNoFlags when compared. But as you see, it still kernel panics.

What are your thoughts? :(

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I have a working AppleIntelCPUPM without using the 2 extra kexts from NBI/NBM.
For all the information, please see post #2 above.

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Aikidoka25
MowgliBook
Look at this post

jfally

jfally

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 108 posts
It's been a while since I've posted, and I'd just like to get back up to speed.

My 311 is still running Proto's HF4 on 10.6.2, that's just about it. Are there any improvements after that? So far I'm running perfectly stable so I see no need to update to 10.6.3.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
http://mymacbookmini...311-to-mac.html

1) Run the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Combo Update. DO NOT RESTART yet.
2) Install the HPM311DP_0410HF5RC1.pkg. DO NOT RESTART yet.
3) Check that you have prepared the "HF4 USB Booter" as designated above. And YES, I'm including this in the "What to do" list of steps just so we get the point nice and clear. :)
4) Restart your machine with -f flag. (Press F8 as Chameleon loads and then use arrow down key to choose "-f Ignore boot caches" in the drop down menu or just enter -f. And then press Enter to proceed)

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidoka25
As long as I can help it, I don't wanna run NBBM/NBI on my 311, I've been trying to run Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement through EFI like the folks at InsanelyWind have been able to do on their MSI Winds.

On EFI, I have KP's related to HPET problems.

It's kinda shady with NBI...there are a lot of kexts there and that ramdisk that I don't really know what goes in it.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

@aikidoka25
As long as I can help it, I don't wanna run NBBM/NBI on my 311, I've been trying to run Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement through EFI like the folks at InsanelyWind have been able to do on their MSI Winds.

It's kinda shady with NBI...there are a lot of kexts there and that ramdisk that I don't really know what goes in it.

do you use the modified DSDT for F14 from post #2? i don't have anything special besides non EFI and the version of PC EFI.
Whitelisted or not I think the DSDT is compatible because that restriction is nothing to do with HPET.

EDIT: Could be because you have a different CPU? My unit is HP Mini 311-1000CA (Intel Atom N270 1.60-GHz.), and that DSDT I posted is derived from my unit.

You just mentioned the main reason why I don't use NBI.
I don't really understand how it works, and I want to have a full control on what kexts are in and out. So I use manual way.

Well, in the end it is a matter of choice.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

@poofyhairguy
I tried your VoodooPS2Controller for the HP Mini 311 as well as put AppleACPIPS2Nub in /S/L/E. Normally I wouldn't have put AppleACPIPS2Nub cause if I remember right, it would cause KP when VoodooPS2 is installed as well....but in this case, it didn't KP. In fact, I wasn't able to use trackpad and keyboard without PS2Nub in /S/L/E together with VoodooPS2.

Yeah sorry, forgot to mention that was a specialty AppleACPIPS2Nub meant to work with that particular VoodooPS2.

What I don't like though is how this has remapped my keys in such a way that I lost Cmd key at the right side of the space bar. See pic below:

In the old ApplePS2Controller + AppleACPIPS2Nub, I have 2 Cmd keys = 2 Alt keys on the physical keyboard.

Yeah, I like how it automatically remaps the Windows key, but I do notice now the lack of the second command key. I will work on that.

EDIT: So I have this config:
/E/E - with ketcache in /E/E composed only of /Extra/Extensions
1. AppleACPIBattMgr
2. CPUInjector
3. Disabler
4. fakesmc
5. SleepEnabler
6. VoodooPowerMini

/S/L/E
1. VoodooPS2Controller (poofyhairguy bundle)
2. AppleACPIPS2Nub (poofyhairguy bundle)
3. VoodooHDA (I've been experiencing randomness in terms of behavior so put it directly in /S/L/E for observation)

Result: Resume from sleep (clamshell sleep, normal sleep via Apple Menu) => BLANK SCREEN.

Two things:

A. What Voodoopowermini do you have? I had that problem when I tried the newer one on Superhai's website.

B. Maybe try one last time AppleHDA from 10.6.2 just to make sure it isn't a VoodooHDA issue that separates you and me?

So as it is I am working on fixing the keymapping problems with my VoodooPS2 kext, and I am doing everything I can to get real trackpad support. If I fail at that I might just try to incorporate Alabama's PS2 magic from the old thread into my VoodooPS2.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidoka25
Yep, I used your DSDT...and I do have an N280...maybe that's the reason why I can't run Vanilla Power Mgmt kext? :P
I'll extract stock DSDT and compare it from the one you posted and see from there. Will definitely try again once I free myself from work. Thanks very much!

Oh and did you figure out speedstepping? I think I've read somewhere about dsdt speedstepping...in OSXProject forums or in InsanelyWind, even on InsanelyMac itself. Gotta find that thread...

@poofyhairguy
I still use our usual VoodooPowerMini from way way back.
You read my thoughts - I'm gonna go test again AppleHDA 10.6.2 and see how that fares with non verbose sleep/resume.

Best of luck on that VoodooPS2 project of yours. I wish I knew how to work on kexts like you do. :(

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

@aikidoka25
Yep, I used your DSDT...and I do have an N280...maybe that's the reason why I can't run Vanilla Power Mgmt kext? :P

is it possible for you to generate a vanilla F14 DSDT from your unit? the easiest ways are using linux: sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

or windows using iasl-win

create the dsl file and compare with the vanilla i posted.

if they are different then you need to patch the N280.

to patch yours: you have to get the delta or difference between my patched version and N270 vanilla version.
apply this delta to N280.

compile back to aml and try to boot using it

that's all my 2c suggestion.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

poofyhairguy -

can you describe what you would do to reproduce the problem? i'd like to see if i can reproduce it on my machine.

thanks

I went through many tasks which caused panics, with commonalities of use of the up and down keys!

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

I modified Slice's VoodooHDA 2.6.0 with mosslack's modification and a little modifications to allow volume buttons to work and fixed the low volume issue.

You have fixed audio for us. This kext is fully functional, and should be considered the way forward from now on I say....

EDIT: Ok I did a clean install and this VoodooHDA KPs like mad on me! Something foul is afoot on my machine. Time for a clean install again...

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I went through many tasks which caused panics, with commonalities of use of the up and down keys!

mashing at my up and down keys, no panics....

icemank121

icemank121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Thanks to everyone on this thread for your hard work, I just got a 311 and got OSX installed. Heres what I did:

Bios: Modded F14 de-whitelisted

1) Installed HF5 after installing 10.6.3 combo
2) Moved the 2 PS2 kext to S/L/E
3) Deleted VoodooHDA
4) Turned off Verbose Mode
5) Installed aikidoka25's VoodooHDA to S/L/E

Everything is decent so far, even sleep/wake seems to work.

Problems I am having:
1) My CPU is overclocked to 2.2 in the BIOS, but OSX reads it as 2.3, but MSRTools reads it correctly at 2.2. Any way to fix this?
2) The trackpad isnt the greatest, is there any better driver than the HF5 one?
3) Still waiting on arrival of my new wireless card so using wired, is there anyway to make ethernet work after sleep?

Thanks!

alabamas

alabamas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

@aikidoka25

Try to reflash your bios.It worked for me!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy