HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests PART II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
647 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Very much, thank you. I will relate your experience to meklort as he is wanting feedback on these installs. I may save my install and do a new one using the 0.8.4 RC1 versions of both NBBM/NBI to see if I can tell anything else.

EDIT: FYI, I just tried to boot from a flash drive prepared with v 0.8.4 RC1 NBBM and it doesn't work for me either. However, it still boots just fine from my 1201N prepared flash drive. Also I just installed a security update, no problems to report.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Can some adventurous soul please try this install out to see if I have forgotten anything?

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Let me know if it works okay or not so I can change as necessary. Thanks!

Here's my result -

1) The SL installer doesn't recognize the trackpad and therefore requires the use of an external mouse. Otherwise it works fine.

2) After running the NBI, the screen resolution was stuck at 1024x768. (didn't use the correct driver??)

3) Running the 10.6.3 combo updater resulted in a flickering screen on reboot.

Do you have any advice on how to salvage the install? Any advice on how to perform the install successfully?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Did you remember to run UpdateExtra after removing the NVEnabler.kext? If you didn't do that, remove the NVEnabler.kext from /Extra/General Extensions folder and once you are done run UpdateExrtra located in the /Extra folder.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Very much, thank you. I will relate your experience to meklort as he is wanting feedback on these installs. I may save my install and do a new one using the 0.8.4 RC1 versions of both NBBM/NBI to see if I can tell anything else.

EDIT: FYI, I just tried to boot from a flash drive prepared with v 0.8.4 RC1 NBBM and it doesn't work for me either. However, it still boots just fine from my 1201N prepared flash drive. Also I just installed a security update, no problems to report.

Did you get a kernel panic that references the SleepEnabler.kext in the dependencies? That was what failed in my test. Removing the kext entirely fixed the problem.

Mention to meklort that there are a number of items installed by NBI that may not be required by the Mini. I'm not certain if installing unneeded kexts is beneficial. Unless unneeded ones are simply not loaded as is the case for those in the /S/L/E.

LeMaurien19's installer seems a bit leaner. I'm also uncertain which of the methods is better - EFI or NBI - as regards where things are installed. The EFI seems more consistent with a plain "vanilla" system.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Can some adventurous soul please try this install out to see if I have forgotten anything?

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Let me know if it works okay or not so I can change as necessary. Thanks!

I gave it another go.

I found that step 8 in your process wasn't necessary - the machine booted to the new install without being directed toward it.

Steps 10-12 - Running NBI are what lowers the screen res.

Sleep doesn't work.

Didn't upgrade any further. I've tried it a few times and has always resulted in a flickering screen.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Did you get a kernel panic that references the SleepEnabler.kext in the dependencies? That was what failed in my test. Removing the kext entirely fixed the problem.

Mention to meklort that there are a number of items installed by NBI that may not be required by the Mini. I'm not certain if installing unneeded kexts is beneficial. Unless unneeded ones are simply not loaded as is the case for those in the /S/L/E.

LeMaurien19's installer seems a bit leaner. I'm also uncertain which of the methods is better - EFI or NBI - as regards where things are installed. The EFI seems more consistent with a plain "vanilla" system.

To tell the truth, I couldn't figure out what caused the problem as it didn't actually KP, it just stopped booting. Did you go into the disk image and remove the kext there?

As for all of the extra kext and files, you have to remember that his NBBM/NBI system supports many different systems and those extra files are needed for other systems. And as you mentioned, just like /S/L/E the extra stuff doesn't really cause any problems.

I agree that LeMaurien19's is the better option, but I'm doing this to support meklort and his system, and it does give everyone an alternate install if for some reason they have a problem with the other method.

Thanks for your help.

I gave it another go.

I found that step 8 in your process wasn't necessary - the machine booted to the new install without being directed toward it.

Steps 10-12 - Running NBI are what lowers the screen res.

Sleep doesn't work.

Didn't upgrade any further. I've tried it a few times and has always resulted in a flickering screen.

So you didn't have any problem installing SL using the NBBM prepared flash drive other than the trackpad issue? It is kind of odd that 3 people using the same method got 3 different results. Just FYI, my original install method was to run NBI and reboot. The system worked fine then. It was after I did the update to 10.6.3 that I got the flashing screen and someone suggested removing the NVEnabler.kext and running UpdateExtra. For me that cured 2 problems, the flashing screen and the menu bar volume control issue. I was initially stuck at 1024x768 but a second suggestion posted a better DSDT.AML which fixed everything. It looks like I will have to do more work on this to get it working as it should. Thanks for trying.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Does anyone know how to backup and restore hackintosh installations?

I'd like to track down what parts of migration assistant are safe to use but i don't want to have to reinstall the os every time it fails.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@Kappy
That's the same VoodooHDA 2.5.4 I got - from InsanelyWind. What I noticed is that volume is indeed louder BUT controls don't seem to work, I try to lower and crank up it up but it's practically the same volume level - LOUD and LOUD. So I opted not to create HF5 RC2 anyway just to include that version.

Now going back to what poofyhairguy has said about preferring AppleHDA 10.6.2, what do you guys think? For the final release of HF5, do we go VoodooHDA or stick with AppleHDA 10.6.2?

Also I tried meklort's CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols, and guess what: it seems that our current dsdt does not include HPET fix, or it does but not correctly done.

It might be possible that our dsdt is not as clean or as good as it can be. This is for sure a lot of work....uh-oh!

Attached Files

• Attached File  HPET.jpg   526.4KB   22 downloads

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I just had a big breakthrough for HP Mini 311 Hackintosh stability.

The kernel_task panics have been bugging me for a while, as I am used to desktop hackitoshes that are very stable. After looking it up I discovered that the problem of kernel_task bloat could be coming from many sources. So I worked out a scenario where I had a repeatable crash (mostly involved the down arrow key with a few certain apps open) and I pulled out each of our kexts one at a time until the crash went away.

Well a few weeks ago after going through a few kexts (I tried the power kexts first) I discovered that the main culprit to our stability problems was the old ApplePS2 kext we were using. Made sense as certain keyboard actions would cause the kernel panics.

Yet I could not offer a solution to the discovered problem at that time because the only way to fix it was to use VoodooPS2 and all VoodooPS2s I tried in /E/E/ didn't work.

But then last week my revelation that we can never have vanilla thanks to Sleepenabler.kext made me want to try putting VoodooPS2 in /S/L/E/. I tried a few and had little success until today!

Attached is a AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and a VoodooPS2Controller.kext that if installed by kext helper will retain all the function of the old ApplePS2 driver without the instability and task bloat. Be sure to delete the ApplePS2 and AppleACPIPS2NUB from the EFI partition!

What is the big upside of doing this you ask?

The main thing is that I have had 100% perfect non-vanilla booting on my overclocked system for the first time ever without any other modifications.

What is the downside?

Well, it still treats the trackpad like a mouse, but I am working on that.....

At least its progress. I am using this plus AppleHDA from 10.6.2 on 10.6.3 for a fully functional non-vanilla system. Next I will work on getting the VoodooPS2 to see our devices actually have trackpads....

Attached Files

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
poofyhairguy -

can you describe what you would do to reproduce the problem? i'd like to see if i can reproduce it on my machine.

thanks

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I'd like to track down what parts of migration assistant are safe to use but i don't want to have to reinstall the os every time it fails.

SuperDuper is what I use, but CarbonCopyCloner works just as well. Both are free and a simple google will get you there. I find the best solution is to use one or the other programs to backup to a USB hard drive and then reboot and make sure you can boot from that cloned USB hard drive. If that works you should be safe to make changes with assurance that you can always go back to the way things were. Also FYI, I make all my changes to the cloned USB drive instead of the install on the internal hard drive. That way going back is much easier as you just remove the USB hard drive and you are back to normal. HTH

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Unfortunately or not Migration Assistant only transfers the Applications and Home folders along with network preferences. It is not a backup solution.

The choices for backup are many, but the better choices include Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, and Synk. They can be found at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com.

Backup utilities can be used to do incremental backups or clones. The latter will create a backup that's bootable on a real Mac, but not on a hackintosh until you reinstall the booting software. After that it should work like the drive you backed up.

SuperDuper is what I use, but CarbonCopyCloner works just as well. Both are free and a simple google will get you there. I find the best solution is to use one or the other programs to backup to a USB hard drive and then reboot and make sure you can boot from that cloned USB hard drive. If that works you should be safe to make changes with assurance that you can always go back to the way things were. Also FYI, I make all my changes to the cloned USB drive instead of the install on the internal hard drive. That way going back is much easier as you just remove the USB hard drive and you are back to normal. HTH

Just for clarification, SuperDuper! is not free. You can download a "free" version that is only able to make full disk clones much like the Restore option of Disk Utility. If you want to use SD for incremental backups or to perform other types of backup tasks, then you have to purchase a license for $25.00.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free to academic users and students, but is otherwise DonationWare.

Synk comes in three versions each with a few more features than the other. Pricing starts at $25.00 for Synk Basic, the bottom version. I use Synk Standard, $35.00, the middle version. I've found it is good for most backup needs except the most challenging.

SuperDuper!'s main defect is an inability to backup over networked devices.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Just for clarification, SuperDuper! is not free. You can download a "free" version that is only able to make full disk clones much like the Restore option of Disk Utility. If you want to use SD for incremental backups or to perform other types of backup tasks, then you have to purchase a license for $25.00.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free to academic users and students, but is otherwise DonationWare.

Synk comes in three versions each with a few more features than the other. Pricing starts at $25.00 for Synk Basic, the bottom version. I use Synk Standard, $35.00, the middle version. I've found it is good for most backup needs except the most challenging.

SuperDuper!'s main defect is an inability to backup over networked devices.

To clarify my position that this would be free for the OP's stated purpose, here is a direct quote from the SuperDuper website:

Get cloned.
Give SuperDuper a workout on your own system. Clone to your heart's content — for free. See what else is possible. When you're convinced that SuperDuper is a terrific solution — and a great value at $27.95 — you can register right from the application and start using its advanced features immediately!

As for me, I registered this product a long, long time ago, but I don't bother to register each version I use on a new install as it is a waste of time as I will probably only use it for that one time backup. FYI, I also made a donation for CCC as well, but I don't use it as much as I do SuperDuper.

There are other backup solutions out there, but I find these 2 will handle the task requested by the OP 99 times out of a hundred. HTH

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
This isn't a noob friendly guide, or might not merit being called a guide at all, but here's how I repackaged the HPM311DP_0410HF5RC1.pkg installer.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

This isn't a noob friendly guide, or might not merit being called a guide at all, but here's how I repackaged the HPM311DP_0410HF5RC1.pkg installer.

Thank you for this information!!

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I'm curious to know what might cause kexts that were loading to not load on a subsequent startup/reboot?

What I'm seeing happen is that on occasion some of the /E/E kexts don't get loaded, and usually the VooDooPowerMini which causes the computer to run at a constant CPU rate without SpeedStep. Loading this kext manually restores the proper CPU rate with SpeedStep.

On other occasions, and perhaps interdependently, the PS2 mouse kexts, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and
ApplePS2Controller.kext, fail to load. Loading manually, however, does not restore any trackpad function.

I have no idea why the kext(s) will fail to load nor any idea how to get them to load again. Sometimes they just do. I use a mouse so I don't really miss the non-functioning trackpad, and I can manually load VooDooPowerMini.kext when required, but it would be nice to figure out why this is happening.

I will ask the question that occurs to me: Would this be caused by booting without the verbose flag?

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm curious if we could start a new thread to discuss using NBBM/NBI. I'd really like to pitch in and help get it working but i think the discussion is getting lost among other discussions.

Its probably true with other issues. No reason why this needs to be a single thread forum.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I would, but I already have one going on the 1201N and that takes up a lot of my free time. If someone else wishes to do so I would support it.

I'm curious to know what might cause kexts that were loading to not load on a subsequent startup/reboot?

What I'm seeing happen is that on occasion some of the /E/E kexts don't get loaded, and usually the VooDooPowerMini which causes the computer to run at a constant CPU rate without SpeedStep. Loading this kext manually restores the proper CPU rate with SpeedStep.

On other occasions, and perhaps interdependently, the PS2 mouse kexts, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and
ApplePS2Controller.kext, fail to load. Loading manually, however, does not restore any trackpad function.

I have no idea why the kext(s) will fail to load nor any idea how to get them to load again. Sometimes they just do. I use a mouse so I don't really miss the non-functioning trackpad, and I can manually load VooDooPowerMini.kext when required, but it would be nice to figure out why this is happening.

I will ask the question that occurs to me: Would this be caused by booting without the verbose flag?

Some systems, not all, do not clear the system RAM properly between warm reboots. As an example, both my DS3L and UD3P systems cannot be restarted, but work perfectly fine if started from a cold boot. On my UD3P, a restart will ALWAYS result in a KP when the system reboots. On the DS3L, it doesn't always happen, but at some point it will become obvious that something is wrong and I have to shut down and do a cold start.

On the other hand, my 1201N and very rarely the Mini 311 will KP on a cold boot, especially if the system has been inactive for several days. I've never investigated as it doesn't happen that often, but having to speculate I would say it has something to do with routines called to charge the battery. As I said, just a guess on my part.

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Alright, creating a thread for using NBBM/NBI. Hopefully I can be the brawn and a couple of others can be the brains.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Hi guys,

I'm back (a least for a while....)

First of all thanks to everyone managing this project and sharing stuff. Being able to use voodooHDA is a great leap, I love it ! I hope some new stuff is going to come for the trackpad as well... !?

I'll look into it as soon as I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy