HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests PART II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
647 replies to this topic

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
For End User Support Questions and/or Concerns.
PART II of the Support thread for the Mini 311.
Continued from HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support (PART I)

Guidelines:
1. State which boot configuration you are using
- EFI (or "HF" releases)
- NetbookBootMaker/NetbookInstaller "NBM/NBI", please post your NBM/NBI related questions at the appropriate HP Mini 311 NetbookBootMaker / NetbookInstaller thread.
(we discourage running "hybrid" configurations as these are hard to troubleshoot)
2. Include hardware information about your Mini 311 - model, CPU (Atom N270 or N280), amount of RAM installed, and other peripherals, etc.
3. Other details to help in the troubleshooting process - BIOS version - cracked/stock HP release, etc.

Help us to help you

A proper HP Mini 311 Project Thread has been created for development discussions (EFI boot method):
HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread PART III

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Findings on using Apple's native Power Management kext in 10.6.3

This is interesting, the unit actually doesn't need the kexts from NBI, and it is able to load AppleIntelCPUPM, the good thing is, it is able to resume from sleep when it boot sans verbose
Meanwhile, I am going to keep this configuration for a couple of days to see it's stability.

So far the unit is stable enough and the native CPUPM doesn't screw up.

UPDATE:
Please note that the information on this particular post had been superseded by the information on the new project thread.

I decided to use the kexts supplied by poofyhairguy at post #29 below.
Now the unit has a constant resume sans verbose.

Note that I modified Info.plist in AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext (including all the plugins) so they can reside in /E/E.
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Root</string>

UPDATE:
I found putting PS2Nub and VoodooPS2 in /S/L/E gives more stability on resume sans verbose.
There were some KPs but rare, most of them related to USB.
I am using hibernatemode 3.

I am using the modified F14 DSDT, I posted back on theproto thread, and PC EFI 10.6

IMPORTANT NOTE:
the DSDT is derived from HP Mini 311-1000CA with Intel Atom N270 1.60-GHz.
So if you have different processor then most likely the DSDT part for CPU PM is different.
If you do, then the best way to make sure is to generate your vanilla DSDT and compare with the vanilla DSDT I posted. If there is no different then you can continue use the one I modified, otherwise you have to patch the DSDT from your unit.

I modified Slice's VoodooHDA 2.6.0 with mosslack's modification and a little modifications to allow volume buttons to work and fixed the low volume issue.

results from kextstat

16 0 0x3d2ae000 0x1c000 0x1b000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (104.3.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
19 0 0x3cdbd000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (104.3.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Now, here are the 3rd party kexts left in /E/E
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
CPUInjector.kext
fakesmc.kext

and in /S/L/E
VoodooHDA.kext Attached File  VoodooHDA.kext.260.20100418.zip   153.28KB   79 downloads
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Use MSR Tools to check (see attached image), because CPU-X gave constant core speed at 1664MHz.
Attached File  MSRTool_AppleIntelCPUPM.jpg   98.89KB   108 downloads

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

As per mosslack's brilliant suggestion, it's about time a PART II of the Support thread for the Mini 311 be created.
Continued from HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support (PART I)

Current Status for the HP Mini 311 Darwin Project:

EFI Boot: HPM311DP_0410HF5RC1 (HF5 Release Candidate 1 for 10.6.3 Update)

NetbookBootMaker/NetbookInstaller: Being tested by mosslack

Ah, most excellent. This should go a long way to improving things I'm sure. Thanks!

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Thanks for a reboot of the support thread. Hopefully we can get a new project thread soon too.

One small suggestion: maybe a link to the google code compatibility list in the first post of the thread?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Can some adventurous soul please try this install out to see if I have forgotten anything?

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Let me know if it works okay or not so I can change as necessary. Thanks!

alabamas

alabamas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

EDIT: This is even more interesting, the unit actually doesn't need the kexts from NBI, and it is able to load AppleIntelCPUPM, the good thing is, it is able to resume from sleep when it boot sans verbose
Later I am going to try the CPU-X alternative to see if the core speed fluctuates or not.
Meanwhile, I am going to keep this configuration for a couple of days to see it's stability.

results from kextstat

Now, here are the kexts left in /E/E
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 4 Jan 14:54 AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 4 Jan 14:54 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 4 Jan 14:54 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Jan 20:10 CPUInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 4 Jan 14:54 fakesmc.kext

I tried this and it seems to work only you have to boot in verbose mode otherwise resume from sleep gives black screen.
CPU-X gave constant core speed at 1664MHz and I didn't try any other tool

How:
remove from /E/E
- Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- SleepEnabler.kext
- VoodooPowerMini.kext

add into /E/E
- CPUIDOverride.kext
- CPUIDSymbols.kext

rebuilds mkext

How could you manage to load Powermanagment without other kext?? Dsdt?

if so could you please post your dsdt .

To see if SpeedSteping is working you should try Msr Tools for snow leopard.

Thanks

dizzbun

dizzbun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay I don't understand the process too well, but assuming I have HF4 and 10.6.2 so far, do I:
1. Install HF5, then NBI, then update to 10.6.3?
2. Install the .3 update, then HF5 and NBI
3. Either install HF5 or NBI (not both) then update/vice versa.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

Okay I don't understand the process too well, but assuming I have HF4 and 10.6.2 so far, do I:

3 is the answer. These are two separate install methods. It's nice to have options!

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

install 10.6.3, DON'T RESTART, install HF5, restart.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidoka25
You successfully "crossed over" to Vanilla AppleCPUPowerManagement via CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols?
It was only KP for me:
/E/E
1. ApplePS2Controller
2. ApplePS2Nub
3. VoodooHDA
4. CPUIDOverride
5. CPUIDSymbols
6. CPUInjector
- non-modified F.14 bios (because I'm using the full-height PCI slot for Snow Leo compatible wireless anyway, so I didn't need the crack)

PS. I've tried eliminating CPUInjector but same KP issue at boot up.
- HF4 dsdt.aml (from theproto)

Oh and Extensions.mkext in EFI/Extra is made from /E/E and /S/L/E. => still a no go.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

@aikidoka25
You successfully "crossed over" to Vanilla AppleCPUPowerManagement via CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols?
It was only KP for me:
/E/Et
1. ApplePS2Controller
2. ApplePS2Nub
3. VoodooHDA
4. CPUIDOverride
5. CPUIDSymbols
6. CPUInjector
- non-modified F.14 bios (because I'm using the full-height PCI slot for Snow Leo compatible wireless anyway, so I didn't need the crack)

PS. I've tried eliminating CPUInjector but same KP issue at boot up.
- HF4 dsdt.aml (from theproto)

Oh and Extensions.mkext in EFI/Extra is made from /E/E and /S/L/E. => still a no go.

ever since i am not using efi partition, i don't really follow the HF 100%
after removing disabler, voodopmini and sleepenabler my unit is able to load AppleIntelCPUPMClient without using CPUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbolsm

with disabler, voodopmini and sleepenabler i noticed only AppleIntelCPUPM is loaded

try to use dsdt.aml linked on my post earlier, it is for F14, also please note that i am using PC EFI 10.6

UPDATE:
Check post #2 above

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
@aikidoka25
Thanks for the reply.
Just to be more specific, what kexts are you running in /Extra/Extensions (not inside EFI, of course)?

murkurie

murkurie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
@mosslack
Well I tried your directions with a retail disc install, my flash drive isn't big enough and I have problem, when I goto install 10.6.3 it say's I need 10.6.2 installed first, so I did that then I couldn't boot up. where is my problem at. I know it's my fault somewhere in there. ?

EDIT, I am on 10.6.3 now, thanks for that guide that uses the EFI boot

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
I'll get HF5 RC2 up this evening (that GMT+8 Taipei, Perth) to replace VoodooHDA 2.5.3 in RC1 with VoodooHDA 2.5.4 which has been reported to be more stable than the latter.

EDIT: @Kappy
Where did you get that specific VoodooHDA 2.5.4 that you're using? The 2.5.4 version I downloaded and tried wouldn't actually work (sound/speaker menulet on menubar greyed out but with "bars", though slide remains unajustable) only when I go first into System Pref > Sound > Output and play a bit with the slider. Note though that I also installed the corresponding VoodooHDA prefPane and I've this rather weird experience.

Has anyone else tried VoodooHDA 2.5.4 and experienced the same issue? - That is, kext does get loaded at boot but sound won't get enabled unless you play with sound adjustment in Sys Pref > Sound > Output tab.

Also, if my cold (I've been down and not feeling well lately due to the super hot summer temps outside combined with air-conditioning turned to almost freezing inside the office) permits me, I'll also post a how-to guide to package an HPM311DP release installer via PackageMaker on my blog. If not, expect it over the weekend till Monday.

I've been reading up a lot on other hackintoshing forums and feel that we'd have to implement some sort of a "Divide et impera" strategy to keep HP Mini 311 Darwin Project up to snuff. So we divide first by identifying the main areas of general OSx86, here's what I can think of right off the bat in my head as I type this post:

1) Boot method - A) EFI, and B ) NetbookBootMaker/NetbookInstaller
2) Kexts - at least we could come up with a regular testing team of individuals willing to be guinea pigs to try new kexts out or just play around with configs so we can get to an optimum kext combination
3) DSDT hacking/modding - this is admittedly a complex topic matter; we'd need to identify exactly how "polished" our current DSDT (the one inherited from the mentors) was as of HF4 and then move forward by re-polishing to take into account current changes in audio for example - with VoodooHDA (assuming people are fine going with VoodooHDA henceforth) which no longer requires dsdt audio ID injection, etc.
4) Bios versions - test cracked bioses, stock HP bios (for those not needing to use the half-height pci slot) in relation to optimum compatibility with DSDT, kexts, everything in general.

And then now, for the conquering to begin?

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm started updating content on the google code site - http://code.google.com/p/hpmini311/

I want to verify what rough edges remain, particularly -

Is hibernation still unsupported?
Is the dark web cam image really a bug if its like that on Win 7?
Does mic sound input work? (I'm assuming this is in contrast to input with an iphone like headset

The goal is to provide a simple, concise resource for those who are new to hacking Hp 311s, particularly for installing OS X.

Any advice for the page is welcome.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Can some adventurous soul please try this install out to see if I have forgotten anything?

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Let me know if it works okay or not so I can change as necessary. Thanks!

@mosslack

OK, I've gotten as far as setting up the bootable installer using NBBM on my N280. In order for it to work properly I had to remove the SleepEnabler.kext from the /E/E folder otherwise the Mini kernel panicked. The panic specifically nailed the SleepEnable.kext as the culprit. Upon removal the USB flash drive installer worked fine. I suspect that to include the kext one needs to replace the one included in the NBBM installer with one that's compatible with the Mini.

I have not yet tested NBI, but if the same SleepEnabler.kext is included with it then it, too, will need replacement. From my current experience the SleepEnabler 10.6.3 kext available elsewhere does work. It may be the one LeMaurien19 includes in HF5.

I will attempt to continue with this later, but must go out for a couple of hours.

I'll get HF5 RC2 up this evening (that GMT+8 Taipei, Perth) to replace VoodooHDA 2.5.3 in RC1 with VoodooHDA 2.5.4 which has been reported to be more stable than the latter.

EDIT: @Kappy
Where did you get that specific VoodooHDA 2.5.4 that you're using? The 2.5.4 version I downloaded and tried wouldn't actually work (sound/speaker menulet on menubar greyed out but with "bars", though slide remains unajustable) only when I go first into System Pref > Sound > Output and play a bit with the slider. Note though that I also installed the corresponding VoodooHDA prefPane and I've this rather weird experience.

Has anyone else tried VoodooHDA 2.5.4 and experienced the same issue? - That is, kext does get loaded at boot but sound won't get enabled unless you play with sound adjustment in Sys Pref > Sound > Output tab.

@LeMaurien19:

I'm not sure. I think I may have found it at the MSI Wind forums. I've uploaded it as an attachment. Have no idea how that will work out.

Attached File  VoodooHDA.kext.254.zip   153.01KB   10 downloads

mattkime

mattkime

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
does HF5 work for the initial install of snow leopard in addition to the 10.6.3 update? I'm working on simplified install instructions.

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

2) Kexts - at least we could come up with a regular testing team of individuals willing to be guinea pigs to try new kexts out or just play around with configs so we can get to an optimum kext combination

I am up for that. At the very least we have to keep up sleep enablers updated with the kernel (one of the few things preventing hassle free upgrades).

I always test the new VoodooPowerMini.kexts as they come. And personally I am out to get a new keyboard kext as I know the current one causes kernel_task bloat in certain cases which leads to kernel panics and it drives me nuts!!!!

3) DSDT hacking/modding - this is admittedly a complex topic matter; we'd need to identify exactly how "polished" our current DSDT (the one inherited from the mentors) was as of HF4 and then move forward by re-polishing to take into account current changes in audio for example - with VoodooHDA (assuming people are fine going with VoodooHDA henceforth) which no longer requires dsdt audio ID injection, etc.

I am not a pro with a DSDT but the main limitation of thepronto's is that it assumes a VERY early bios. Something targeting bios 14 or so would be better I think.

I am still debating VoodooHDA going forward compared to just recopying 10.6.2's HDA. The reason for my hessitation is that:

1. We cannot ever be completely upgrade proof thanks to Sleepenabler.kext.
2. We cannot be sure that future updates won't bring back a AppleHDA that conflicts with VoodooHDA
3. One and two means we need to have packages for each OSX point upgrade anyway, so why not use a little more vanilla solution to sound of an older AppleHDA compared to VoodooHDA?

If I understand correctly the main upside to VoodooHDA is that it cuts the boot time and maybe the need for Verbose mode, but the downside is that it gives us overall lower volume.

I still intend to play with AppleHDA injection to see if I can clean up the problem that made the boot time longer with that route (the errors we all saw), so at the very least we have a backup plan for sound. But for now VoodooHDA should be the default way to get sound.

4) Bios versions - test cracked bioses, stock HP bios (for those not needing to use the half-height pci slot) in relation to optimum compatibility with DSDT, kexts, everything in general.

Everything I do includes the hacked bios with a little overclock which is now very popular in the community.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

@mosslack

OK, I've gotten as far as setting up the bootable installer using NBBM on my N280. In order for it to work properly I had to remove the SleepEnabler.kext from the /E/E folder otherwise the Mini kernel panicked. The panic specifically nailed the SleepEnable.kext as the culprit. Upon removal the USB flash drive installer worked fine. I suspect that to include the kext one needs to replace the one included in the NBBM installer with one that's compatible with the Mini.

I have not yet tested NBI, but if the same SleepEnabler.kext is included with it then it, too, will need replacement. From my current experience the SleepEnabler 10.6.3 kext available elsewhere does work. It may be the one LeMaurien19 includes in HF5.

I will attempt to continue with this later, but must go out for a couple of hours.

This is what I needed to know as I used a special NBBM which meklort made for the 1201N when I installed mine, so the 0.8.4 RC1 version will have to be modified I suppose. FYI, the NBI which I used was in fact the 0.8.4 RC1 version and this worked fine for me with only the change I noted, which was to remove the NVEnabler.kext.

Appreciate the feedback and look forward to hearing more when you continue the install.

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

This is what I needed to know as I used a special NBBM which meklort made for the 1201N when I installed mine, so the 0.8.4 RC1 version will have to be modified I suppose. FYI, the NBI which I used was in fact the 0.8.4 RC1 version and this worked fine for me with only the change I noted, which was to remove the NVEnabler.kext.

Appreciate the feedback and look forward to hearing more when you continue the install.

OK, finally got to testing the rest of the process. Booted from the USB flash drive made with NBBM and installed OS X onto an external USB drive. Used NBI per your instructions. All works perfectly except:

1. Ethernet does not reconnect after wake from sleep. This has been an ongoing issue since day one, so it's not new.

2. After removing NVEnabler and rebooting I got an odd screen resolution even though Displays preferences said it was 1024 x 768. So I edited the com.apple.boot.plist file and changed Graphics=Yes to Graphics=1024x768x32.

3. UpdateExtensions never actually alerts when it is finished. Rather the spinning gear keeps spinning.

4. CPU-X reports the CPU speed is constant. Furthermore it reports the wrong information. BIOS is configured to overclock, but CPU-X reports the stock CPU speed and FSB. Something's amiss here. What's more there's no speedstepping. I've seen this with other installations of mine where one time speedstep is working, then on a subsequent boot suddenly it's not. Have no idea why, but it may somehow be related to SleepEnabler.kext.

5. The kernel panic from the NBBM installation was caused by sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler. Something is wrong with this particular build. I noted that after using NBI there is no SleepEnabler.kext installed in /E/E.

6. There are several kexts installed by NBI that seem to have no connection to the Mini: AppleIntelGMA950, ElliotForceLegacyRTC, RealTekR1000, and VaioEnabler.

7. A TrackPad preference pane is present in System Preferences. Since it is presently irrelevant to the Mini it could probably be removed during NBI installation.

This is about it for now. Hope it's helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy