• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Yes, it's the half-height mini-PCI 1510, which does Wifi N...

Thanks! And I assume you need the brackets too for a proper fit? The original is full height.

If you update to 10.6.4 will work everithing except the ac adapter, it will works like is using battery.

Ciao! So the power management isn't quite right. I assume it will recharge the battery though. How much time do you get on the battery with 10.6.4? Grazie!

mtest

mtest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Are you sure the original card is full height ? On my N130 it was half-height as well.

You probably don't need much to hold it in place; the mini-PCI connector itself should be enough.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Are you sure the original card is full height ? On my N130 it was half-height as well.

You probably don't need much to hold it in place; the mini-PCI connector itself should be enough.

Interesting. I haven't opened mine, but one guy posted pictures of his N310 disassembly and the one in his is definitely full height (see below). There are some variants of the N310, so I guess you have to take a look, unless: was there a screw point for full AND half size cards in your chassis? Maybe all variants are setup to accept either (likely). Here's the pic:
Attached File  N310WiFi.jpg   86.87KB   60 downloads

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Mtest: I just realized you're referring to the N130, a different model, although a side by side comparison seems to indicate that they're internally virtually identical. I wonder if the half-height card would work in the 310 or if the half-height card has the same range and sensitivity as a full size one. How's yours? I like the idea of having the "n" option on this netbook.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I had a dry run today with SL using the latest NBI pre-version, and managed to install 10.6.5. The only things not working seemed to be wifi (of course... waiting for my 1510...) and sound. I assumed the 10.6.5 Atheros driver might work, but it doesn't. And I don't think this version of NBI is the one to use for the N310 and I'll follow the original recommended older version next time.

On the whole it works remarkably well and reasonably fast. No slower than Win7 without an anti-virus (that's the first thing I uninstalled on the N310, and it made a noticeable difference). There's some data that's wrong in the system info, as expected, but I was surprised that sleep worked and how quick it went from standby to running, even to off. Next time I'm going to try a dual-boot setup (maybe triple with Ubuntu); but there's some special mojo that has to be used to get MBR to co-exist with GUID... I have some use for Win7 and this N310 came with a 250gig drive, so there's plenty of room.

I used Clonezilla to back up the drive and after my tinkering, I successfully restored it using that as well. It's somewhat cryptic in operation and talks coder-speak to you, which takes some interpretation, but once you know what you're doing it's pretty easy to use and it clearly works: I was able to restore all 4 partitions that came with this netbook without issues. BTW, it's one of the few free ones that covers all the common formats including HFS+.

So, FYI... while I'm waiting for my wifi card...

mtest

mtest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well done, keep us posted.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Just got my 1510 today. It worked immediately under os x 10.6 and seems just fine, but unfortunately it's completely buggered up in Windows 7. It keeps telling me the network key is wrong (which it isn't), and then it looks connected but it really isn't... And being a Dell, the more recent Dell drivers either won't allow installation on my Samsung or the card itself is not a real Dell because it says the hardware is "unsupported"... Windows 7's older drivers "...are the most recent drivers"... and being an OEM chipset, Broadcom doesn't post any drivers for it. What a mess.

Anyone running the 1510 under Windows 7 on a non-Dell machine without issues? Any tips? I unfortunately need to multi-boot this machine. TIA.

mtest

mtest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
No problem with mine, working just fine under Windows 7 starter after installing the proper drivers from Dell...

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

No problem with mine, working just fine under Windows 7 starter after installing the proper drivers from Dell...

Thanks MTest: do you still have a URL for this driver? This is the one I tried it keeps telling me "No compatible hardware found..."

UPDATE: Got it! The drivers decompress by default on the C: drive, so I just went into Device Manager, selected "Update Driver" and manually pointed the browser to the folder where the driver files for the US were (where "bcm43xx" was). After some time (and finger crossing) W7 told me the driver was installed and the driver version was in fact the newer one. This might have been a good thing because I think the original installer would have installed a network assistance app that might have caused problems.

After half a minute, I'm surfing the net and it feels even faster than with the "Atheriosclerosis" card that was in there before. Cheers all around! And FYI: I did get the metal card extension: without it the PCI card would have just floated off the socket in mid-air on the N310; and I had to do a little mechanical surgery on the opposite side from the screw without which the extension would have touched a grounded metal bodied component...

Now, let's see about moving up from 10.6.0...

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
OK, well for now 10.6.5 is a bust for audio. I tried a bunch of stuff and nothing worked. Too bad, cause everything else seems peachy. The voodoo patch is the only one that seems to work, but it's not a clean solution like AppleHDA. I've found some info on getting the NC10 to 10.6.5 but that seems to be a from a different upgrade path than by using NBI. BTW, the NC10 is virtually the same as the N310.

Sound is kind of important to me, so I'm going to try for 10.6.3 which seems to be the most stable SL upgrade for the N310, and I'll do as computersolutions recommends. I'll keep my original install in case something new comes up.

3 questions:

1. I've noticed some people post 10.6.5 audio as working. I'd be curious to know how.

2. Has anyone been able to get the VGA out to work properly on any version of 10.6? So far I've found it to be unusable. UPDATE: it does work but not in mirroring mode. If your system is stuck in mirroring mode, you can't access the pref pane while the displays are garbled. But if you used NBI, just type this command in the terminal, "/Extra/bin/mirroring off" (no quotes) and don't press return; leave the terminal window selected in the foreground (or close all others to be sure and then select it), plug in your external monitor, wait a few seconds, and then press return: you're back in business. Melkor does it again... :D

3. There's something weird about the 1510 wireless card under 10.6.0: the average transfer rate from my network is under 100kBytes/sec. It should be doing a lot better. I'm starting to think that this card may not be a good choice for os x. In Win 7 it didn't work properly till I installed newer drivers from Broadcom, but under OS X there aren't any others than the native ones. I'll see what happens in 10.6.3...TBC...

theirishtide

theirishtide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 25 posts
Hey guys,

I used the following guide and mine is working great:

http://www.computers...n-snow-leopard/

I just need some help on how to update to the new releases.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

I just need some help on how to update to the new releases.

I used the NBI methodology, installing 10.6.0 from a flash key with NBI 0.8.3 installed on it. Then I upgraded to 10.6.3 by running the update Combo and then installing NBI 0.8.4 before letting it reboot. I did the same with 10.6.5 and NBI 0.8.5pre. Some fiddling is required to get sleep to work and you have to keep replacing the N310 DSDT after every installation of NBI. Notes:

• In 10.6.0 all devices worked pretty well. I wanted to operate in closed lid mode and I thought maybe later versions would fix other things, so I updated to 10.6.3.
  • In 10.6.3 everything worked fine except for a problem where phantom instances of Bluetooth devices would keep appearing in the Bluetooth preferences and it would bog down the BT operation making my BT mouse erratic. I couldn't find a fix for it.
  • In 10.6.5, the BT problem gets fixed but now no longer can be turned off and the native audio driver stops working (had to use VoodooHDA for sound, which is not a great solution but works).
  • From 10.6.2 on the single core atom stops getting supported so you have to go with a hacked kernel, which NBI takes care of for you.
  • Along the way, I got the feeling that networking worked better with later versions.
  • I didn't try the intermediate builds. Maybe 10.6.1 would have been optimal. I still have images of the three versions I tried (saved using Clonezilla) which I can restore to compare; though it's time consuming. I might do that in my spare time.
  • I don't know about 10.6.6. Some people have installed it with no issues on the Dell Mini10v.
  • I never got closed lid mode to work (using the VGA only).
So in the end, I'm currently running 10.6.5 which seems to run pretty well. But audio isn't ideal and the VoodooHDA pref pane is IMO much too complicated and it gets somewhat confusing to use in combination with the regular volume controls with apps like Skype.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Got to 10.6.6 on N310:

• Uninstalled VoodooHDA (terminal: voodoohda-uninstall) and rebooted.
  • Repaired permissions via Disk Utility.
  • DLed 10.6.6 update (not combo) and installed but before restarting I ran NBI 0.8.5pre.
  • Restart. Installed 0.8.5pre again. At this point Finder wasn't responding to KB or mouse clicks and had to run NBI from terminal (open).
  • Restart, and removed the useless Realtek nic driver installed in Extra\GE\, and replaced the NBI generated DSDT with the one from computersolutions.
  • Ran Extra\UpdateExtra
  • Repaired permissions via Disk Utility and restarted one final time.
After all that, 10.6.6 is functional (I don't plan on using the app store on this machine...), and everything mostly works EXCEPT sound. I'm testing the system before I re-install VoodooHDA because I suspect some odd behaviors are caused by it. The only other minor issue is that BT can't be turned off. Oh, and the fact that my processor now runs at 4.1 GHz (but that's only cosmetic).

One thing I've noticed is that NBI 0.8.5pre installs AppleHDA.kext + a folder called "AppleHDA.kext.10.6.3" in S/L/E which doesn't seem normal. I'm wondering if that's what's breaking audio starting in 10.6.5. Using NBI there's no way to avoid it. Trying to remove them causes the system to report a mis-installed driver; there's surely a way to put a clean AppleHDA there, but I don't know if it would work or not anyway. Anyone know?

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Just a final note: except for the wrong processor speed in System Profiler and the inability to turn off Bluetooth, I managed to get everything else working 100% on the N310 and 10.6.6.

The final hurdle was audio and I fixed it this way:

1. Deleted the "AppleHDA.kext.10.6.3" folder that NBI 0.8.5pre installs in S/L/E.
2. Used the N310 ALC272 kext from kexts.com and copied it to the S/L/E.
3. Used Kext Utility 2.4.2 to fix permissions; after the previous step, the system kept issuing multiple popups about how it couldn't use this kext and how it was improperly installed, which was in the end a permissions issue that the Kext Utility fixed. It takes a long time to run, so be patient. BTW, earlier versions of Kext Utility might not work.
4. When I rebooted the system wouldn't start; verbose mode revealed a KP, so I restarted with "recovery=yes" and when I got into the system, audio worked and has worked ever since.

One small side note: with 10.6.6 I had to put the driver for my CrystalHD card (BroadcomCrystalHD.kext) in S/L/E and ran the Kext Utility to repair permissions and it worked. Somehow it wouldn't run from the Extra folder as it did before.

limini

limini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
This technique for enabling sleep worked for me for 10.6.6 on the N310. Thanks to SlothTyper on the DellMini forum for the original posting here.

- Disable secure virtual memory: without this it can't work! SysPrefs > Security > General, should be the 5 th checkbox down and you likely have to release the "padlock" and enter your password to make this change. Then Reboot.

- Remove the sleep image: in terminal type
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

- Enable sleep and deep sleep: in terminal type
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Then close the lid and wait for it to sleep (it'll take a while before all activity ceases and you're left with just a blinking blue LED). You can only wake up the N310 from the power button (unlike the mac where you can use the spacebar or other keys) so press the power button and it should come right back up to wherever you were.

To test deep sleep, sleep the machine (the Fn+Esc N310 key should work), and once sleeping, unplug the power supply if connected and remove the battery, wait a few seconds, then reinstall the battery and power it back on (press the power button). The N310 will boot from scratch after you do this (going through the bios), but once it loads OS X it should bring you right back to where you were when you activated sleep.

La_Tristesse

La_Tristesse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm searching for the Samsung N310 Bluetooth and Audio Kexts from Breathless. Lawrence wrote a blog post (http://www.computers...n-snow-leopard/) about how to install Snow Leopard on that machine and uploaded the files, but they are offline now. Can someone send me a copy? I literally searched all over the net, but found nothing. You would really do me a favor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy