alc662 and 10.6.3

Pietruszka

21 posts in this topic

Hi

with 10.6.2 I've used alc662.kext + original applehda+ dsdt

but now with 10.6.3 this kext doesn't work

someone with this motherboard ?????

thanks for any help

You have to use the original AppleHDA from 10.6.2. DSDT editing doesn't do anything for 10.6.3 yet.

My mobo (Foxconn G31MV-k) has that codec, too.

I hope someone makes a better patch to use the current vanilla kext.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my friend @el_charlie

I saw your signature.

You have the same motherboard as like me.

Is it possible to tell me how you fix the Audio Realtek ALC662 in 10.6.2 snow.

Can you explain me about "working with patched DSDT + 10.6.2 ALC662.kext and who can I find all that?

Thanks you.

Hi my friend @el_charlie

I saw your signature.

You have the same motherboard as like me.

Is it possible to tell me how you fix the Audio Realtek ALC662 in 10.6.2 snow.

Can you explain me about "working with patched DSDT + 10.6.2 ALC662.kext and who can I find all that?

Thanks you.

I also need this one. Anyone care to help?

THanks

• 3 weeks later...
just deleted AppleHDA 10.6.3, used 10.6.2 and it works

no changes with dsdt

don't know if I still need alc662.kext in Extra... must check this

thanks for help

With ALC662.kext (or LegacyHDA.kext for alc662 out there. They are the same.) AppleHDA from 10.6.2 does work.

In other word, Apple managed to break ALC662 for 10.6.3.

Good job Apple.

Looking at the ioreg when it's not working, it looks like it wants to work. All sorts of entries are attaching to the HDA, but it does not. It's more likely some kind of tweak is needed in acl662.kext, than it's a total bust.

-- TG

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

with 10.6.2 I've used alc662.kext + original applehda+ dsdt

but now with 10.6.3 this kext doesn't work

someone with this motherboard ?????

thanks for any help

Dreamwatcher gave me a tip that, AppleHDA driver checks the codec ID, and only works with codec ID 885 (which 889 has). (Looks like it's now known.)

By patching the driver binary it works. This is his method.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x62\x06\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

After that, reboot, or kextload. I have not tried it myself yet. YMMV.

-- TG

Dreamwatcher gave me a tip that, AppleHDA driver checks the codec ID, and only works with codec ID 885 (which 889 has). (Looks like it's now known.)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x62\x06\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

-- TG

What if we use the DSDT to tell OS X that we have the audio device with ID 885 and the other stuff remains unchanged???

That way, it could work.

I could try the above but I don't mind using 10.6.2 AppleHDA. What I really want is to keep everything hidden on my EFI partition and not to patch anything on my installation and leave it untouched.

When I get home I'll upload my dsdt and the dummy kext to make it work up to 10.6.2.

Cheers!

If the driver code checks the actual PCI registry or chip's register for matching rather than letting IOKit's default driver matching to work, DSDT patching would not help. Many drivers use IOKit's matching method since you don't need to write any code to do so, but some drivers override the behavior.

So, don't be surprised that your attempt does not work.

-- TG

What if we use the DSDT to tell OS X that we have the audio device with ID 885 and the other stuff remains unchanged???

That way, it could work.

I could try the above but I don't mind using 10.6.2 AppleHDA. What I really want is to keep everything hidden on my EFI partition and not to patch anything on my installation and leave it untouched.

When I get home I'll upload my dsdt and the dummy kext to make it work up to 10.6.2.

Cheers!

If the driver code checks the actual PCI registry or chip's register for matching rather than letting IOKit's default driver matching to work, DSDT patching would not help. Many drivers use IOKit's matching method since you don't need to write any code to do so, but some drivers override the behavior.

So, don't be surprised that your attempt does not work.

-- TG

Well, it didn't work as expected.

I have attached, as promised, my DSDT + my ALC662 dummy kext and the vanilla AppleHDA from 10.6.2. You can place the ALC662.kext on your /Extra/Extensions directory and locate the HDEF section of the DSDT an apply it to your own DSDT.

The AppleHDA.kext must replace the 10.6.3 kext in order to get sound.

I looked on IOREG that all the values on the DSDT have been loaded, so, editing the codec id in the DSDT could work BUT the same codec id must be changed on the dummy ALC662.kext because its data is loaded too.

In theory, we can get sound for the ALC662 codec if we must make OS X to think that is has a suppoted codec (ALC889 for example) plugged in but injecting its own configuration.

Cheers!!

Audio_ALC662.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Guys! Could You please help me.

I have g31-s2l mobo and 662codec, after update from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4 my sound is not working at all, I tried to use AppleHDA from 10.6.2. and Audio_ALC662.zip from el_charlie, but it do anything...

Could You please tell me what to do.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello. I have the Intel DG41RQ w/alc662 and 10.6.4 but no sound. There is a solution to this ?

Thank you !

MWTB-DLTR.

I have the dg41rq and using the 1boot and sound works perfectly, I've tried a couple of different solutions and and still having problems. My core 2 duo is shown as a core 2 solo. I've got 10.6.4 as well. The voodoohda has caused a kernel panic during the boot up. Not sure what to try next. Will let you know if anything works. CFI

I have alc662 on my Zotac q9300.

After 10.6.4 update, I did the following binary patch to the kext.

It works for me.

-- TG

-- TG

I have the dg41rq and using the 1boot and sound works perfectly, I've tried a couple of different solutions and and still having problems. My core 2 duo is shown as a core 2 solo. I've got 10.6.4 as well. The voodoohda has caused a kernel panic during the boot up. Not sure what to try next. Will let you know if anything works. CFI

http://www.kexts.com/view/423-voodoohda.html

Before installing, remove all AppleHDA, HDAEnabler, LegacyHDA etc.

You may also need to remove HDEF device from your DSDT if you get a Kernel Panic

mac os x 10.6.4!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...
Well, it didn't work as expected.

I have attached, as promised, my DSDT + my ALC662 dummy kext and the vanilla AppleHDA from 10.6.2. You can place the ALC662.kext on your /Extra/Extensions directory and locate the HDEF section of the DSDT an apply it to your own DSDT.

The AppleHDA.kext must replace the 10.6.3 kext in order to get sound.

I looked on IOREG that all the values on the DSDT have been loaded, so, editing the codec id in the DSDT could work BUT the same codec id must be changed on the dummy ALC662.kext because its data is loaded too.

In theory, we can get sound for the ALC662 codec if we must make OS X to think that is has a suppoted codec (ALC889 for example) plugged in but injecting its own configuration.

Cheers!!

May you please post your patched dsdt file. I think that there are many people like me with Foxconn mother board that they are struggle to run the alc662 sound chip.

Thank you very much.

MotherBoard: Foxcon G31MXP

Graphic Card: XFX nvidia GT220

Sound: Built-in ALC662

Ethernet: Built-in Realtek

May you please post your patched dsdt file. I think that there are many people like me with Foxconn mother board that they are struggle to run the alc662 sound chip.

Thank you very much.

MotherBoard: Foxcon G31MXP

Graphic Card: XFX nvidia GT220

Sound: Built-in ALC662

Ethernet: Built-in Realtek

I did attach it in my previous post. In the ZIP is the DSDT, the dummy kext and the 10.6.2 kext.

Cheers!

After 10.6.5 (beta 10h562) update, I did this patch to the AppleHDA kext on my ga-G31m-S2l MB and it works fine ;-)

It still needs ALC662.kext in /Extra/Preferences.

-- TG

QUOTE (TennisGeek @ Jun 4 2010, 10:08 AM) post_snapback.gifDreamwatcher gave me a tip that, AppleHDA driver checks the codec ID, and only works with codec ID 885 (which 889 has). (Looks like it's now known.)

CODE

-- TG

• 1 month later...
After 10.6.5 (beta 10h562) update, I did this patch to the AppleHDA kext on my ga-G31m-S2l MB and it works fine ;-)

It still needs ALC662.kext in /Extra/Preferences.

-- TG

QUOTE (TennisGeek @ Jun 4 2010, 10:08 AM) post_snapback.gifDreamwatcher gave me a tip that, AppleHDA driver checks the codec ID, and only works with codec ID 885 (which 889 has). (Looks like it's now known.)

CODE

-- TG

Hi man,

Can you explain it step by step on installing this card in 10.6.5?

I have used Kext Helper to install kexts, but not so familiar with patching and doing more advanced stuf with these drivers.

What do I need and need to do to make it work ??