How stable is your OSx86 machine?

macman88

47 posts in this topic

I installed JaS' 10.4.7 over the weekend on my lowly machine and it was amazing.

My previous foray into OSX86 was using Deadmoo's image, which was great but took lots of tweaking to get it to work. 10.4.7 is worlds apart. I can't believe how fast everything is. The only hardware that didn't work was my onboard NIC, so I slapped in a plain old PCI RT8139 NIC and it's perfect.

My specs:

AMD Sempron 64 2800+

GeForce2MX 32mb

521mb RAM

20Gb + 120Gb HDDs

ASUS 1608P3S DVD Burner

Guest bikedude880

100% rock solid. And running a beta to boot :)

I run this thing ~12 hours a day, 7 days a week since I built it 4 months ago. No hardware or software failures yet.

No Windows partition since four or five months ago. I'm keeping a Parallels image to do some tasks once in a while (DVD ripping) but besides that I'm 100% purely mac. And not one single problem since I updated to 8.8.1 kernel. Even sleeping is working fine! I use to keep the computer turned on for three or four days, it's proven to be a rock solid OS.

Mine is kind of buggy. Please see my sig for description.

Sometime "Finder" is not responsive if not open from the begining.

"About This Mac" if clicked then everything is close and start from begining again.

Sometime must press restart button because can't restart by herself.

Anyone could solve my problem? I'll appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm running OS X 10.4.7 for over half a year now and have never experienced any freezes or crashes or what so ever.

Well except for in the begining when I tried to fiddle around on some kext but that was me not the OS. After I followed the commandment: "Never mess with a running system" :D half a year has gone by with out any issues at all. Windows is still on another partition but I guess by now it must be covered in cobwebs :)

Main Apps. I use: Photoshop CS2, Flash Pro. 8, Office, Skype, Adium,Firefox.

I just love this OS, and since I don't see what great changes 10.4.8 really does I just stick to my 4.7 install and just enjoy working on a stress free OS at last!

No Windows partition since four or five months ago. I'm keeping a Parallels image to do some tasks once in a while (DVD ripping) but besides that I'm 100% purely mac. And not one single problem since I updated to 8.8.1 kernel. Even sleeping is working fine! I use to keep the computer turned on for three or four days, it's proven to be a rock solid OS.

I'm curious, why are you ripping under parallels? Wouldn't it be quicker natively under os X?

Well... Being a newbie in this world of hackintosh machines I am very pleased with my setup:

Runs very stable and window$ is only used for Maya and Zbrush...

My Xbench scores (10 min ago) are 136,61 (no drive testing) and 100,96 with drive testing.

Had some issues with my usb wireless network adapter but fixed it...

Last night I istalled a new natit kext so I'm currently running my setup on dual 19" monitors @ 1280x1024.

I use FCP and Shake everyday and I just delivered a 30 sec commercial sample to a customer who came back and ordered a 45 min video... Good bye Micro$oft :)

10.4.8 AMD SSE3 Test 1 release

AMD x2 3800 @ 2,5 GHz

2048 Mb RAM

nVidia Geforce 7600 GS 256Mb PCI-e

150Gb SATA drive

a crappy and very slow 60Gb IDE drive thats soon to be kicked out.

OS X Kick a** and Im saving money to buy the real deal - a fast and neat 13" portable mac :thumbsup_anim:

Guest BuildSmart

Running 10.4.8 server in a production environment, on D915GUXLKR, non-smthex kernel, 99.9% apple software plus some custom built software to improve functionality.

100% Solid running OS. My main OS, run XP in Paralles 3064. Once in awhile find a few apps that will not work quite properly(Missing Sync , Office Power Point - slide show makes it crash (use Keynotes now)... but 98% of them run just fine! I could not be much happier :)

Mine works alright on my Core 2 Duo, using 8.8.1 kernel (mifki, but i tried to update to semthex ,using some script thing, dont know if it worked ... is there a way to check which kernel your using?) but Acrobat Reader 8 crashes after about 10 seconds of it being open. For now I went back to 7, hopefully There will be a way to fix it. Anyone else have a problem with Reader 8?

Once OSX gets a media center clone, i think ill be using OSX 90% of the time.

Edited by a2000rick

• 1 month later...

I cant say my setup is working any different from a real Mac, better in fact. When I was in college the macs we occasionally used got jacked up so easily and dropped the app you were working on so many times. From what I have done, and it hasnt been whole lot yet, Shake works great as well as FCP, Maya 8.5 works after some tweaking to get my network controller worked out. Photoshop CS3 blazes through anything my PC can do, cant wait for the full version. And the main thing is I can unrar files and watch my favorite tv shows that I miss during the week on Quick Time no problem. I cant say that I will do away with windows, but I am thinking of putting windows on a 60gig drive and seeing if I can manage to figure out how to install OS X on my RAID, cause in the past few weeks the only windows stuff I have done was to transfer files from that partition (NTFS) to a swap partition.

A few notes, apps crash every now and then. Safari has shown itself to cause weird problems so I started using Firefox which solved them. I really dont see an issue in workflow though, as long as I save incrementaly.

• 3 months later...

Hey interesting topic!

Since I've installed OSX 10.4.8 (about 1 month), I used it a lot, and I had never experienced a crash even the finder. Except for the not waking from sleep we are having on Acer Laptops.

I was totally amazed when installed Photoshop CS3 that starts on less than 5 secs.

very stable.

only problem is sleep and my USB soundcard having noise glitches (driver issue with manufacturer). Other than that, everything works quite well.

I'm still wondering if i should keep XP or not since I'm now using parallels for some "essential" windoze apps.

I RARELY go into windows.

I find myself only going to windows when i have a game or two that i feel like playing that's windows only.

(sometimes working under crossover :P )

Mine works alright on my Core 2 Duo, using 8.8.1 kernel (mifki, but i tried to update to semthex ,using some script thing, dont know if it worked ... is there a way to check which kernel your using?)

Dear A2000-Rick,

It's quite simple:

- Start the Terminal (/Applications/Utillities/Terminal.app)

- Type: 'uname -a' (without the quotes)

This will list something like:

Darwin Hackintosh.local 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Sun May 6 17:37:57 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

And as a answer on this thread, my Hackintosh (Intel Bad-Axe 2 with Core2Duo E6600 and NVidia GeForce 7900GS) is rocking solid/stable. I use this machine for my daily work, it replaced my Quicksilver PowerMac G4, I use differnt Applications, Browsers, Terminal, Adobe, M$ Office etc. etc. I'm running 10.4.9 with a recent NetKas 8.9.1 kernel (see above).

I RARELY go into windows.

I find myself only going to windows when i have a game or two that i feel like playing that's windows only.

(sometimes working under crossover :) )

Did you try VMWare Fusion? Most Windows (pre DirectX 9) Games work very smooth in VMWare Fusion (also the ones which do not work (smooth) in Parallels).