How stable is your OSx86 machine?

macman88

47 posts in this topic

I'm really interested in making my own OSx86 machine to compliment my Mac mini (you try running final cut on a mac mini without it yelling at you about latency or taking forever to render), but being that I make videos for a living, i'm not sure if i want a fake mac dying on me in the middle of a project. Have your hackintoshes ever froze up and/or suffered a fatal crash? Also, would you risk putting important time-sensitive data on the internal hard drive (think college term paper that you'll print up the night before :) )?

I'm running OSX 10.4.7 on the following machine:

Intel Pentium D920 Dual Core

Intel 945G chipset

2GB RAM

2x 160GB SATA harddrives (Seagate)

256MB Asus EAX1600XT Silent

Sigmatel 9220 HD Audio (Sound Blaster Audigy HD)

My machine is fully compitable with OSX, and I have not experienced any slowdowns, crashes or other problems. I have QE/CI, 2D QE, rotation, mirror and full resolution via DVI. In Xbench I get scores between 98-105, and that's very good!

I actually just deleted my Windows partition, because I really don't use it anymore. The few games I play are available on mac - I use it the most for DTP and graphics in general. I think that OS X is by far the better OS - it is stable (no blue screens, virus, spyware ect.) It just superb! ;)

x86 10.4.7 running 100% fast & stable on my Toshiba Satellite P100-191 Laptop with Intel Centrino Duo Core, which I am writing from right now. However, no sound, Network via USB 2.0 to my LAN/USB DLS-Modem/Router/Switch (which is fine with me, always connects to my Windows machine in less than a second), no WiFi which I do not need (and if, then it's enough from Windoze, or I could insert a x86 compatible WiFi card if I wanted). Graphics up to 1490 x 900 on a 17'' which is great, but no CI (Graphics accelleration). OpenGL works, however.

All in all I am very pleased, the Sys NEVER crashed on me when working in it. Driverwise I guess that in the long run the missing drivers will be developed, especially from the great MacVidia team.

About your question: data-wise simply store your data on a shared partiton with either Windows FAT32 or Linux Extended FS 2 or 3, and you're set.

Greetz,

Bugs.

how stable? very. I havent had any lockup issues (unless coming out of slleep, which I dont use) It's nice, Iv gotten FCP and GarageBand on here too and all works great.

System Stats/Notes:

Dell Latitude D620

JaS 10.4.6 Install upgraded to 4.7

Core Duo T2400 1.83Ghz: Duo not supported. Switch to 1 Core only in BIOS. (good enough anyway)

1 GB DDR2 @533

Intel GMA 950 graphics: CI, QE, Open GL all work out of the box @1400x900 dual monitors supported.

SigmaTel 9220: no, I use the USB Griffen iMic. Works perfectly.

Dell TrueMobile 1490: works out the box with 4.6 install disc.

Broadcom NetXtreme: eh..well...every other boot its recognized. Ive hex edited the kexts on my own and it appears and disappears. Strange. I use wireless mostly anyway.

60GB SATA @ 7200RPM: no issues.

Power Management/Battery Meter: work with modified kext in the forums.

All external volume controls, drives and ports work properly.

Couldnt be happier really. Good Luck.

how stable? very. I havent had any lockup issues (unless coming out of slleep, which I dont use) It's nice, Iv gotten FCP and GarageBand on here too and all works great.

System Stats/Notes:

Dell Latitude D620

JaS 10.4.6 Install upgraded to 4.7

Core Duo T2400 1.83Ghz: Duo not supported. Switch to 1 Core only in BIOS. (good enough anyway)

1 GB DDR2 @533

Intel GMA 950 graphics: CI, QE, Open GL all work out of the box @1400x900 dual monitors supported.

SigmaTel 9220: no, I use the USB Griffen iMic. Works perfectly.

Dell TrueMobile 1490: works out the box with 4.6 install disc.

Broadcom NetXtreme: eh..well...every other boot its recognized. Ive hex edited the kexts on my own and it appears and disappears. Strange. I use wireless mostly anyway.

60GB SATA @ 7200RPM: no issues.

Power Management/Battery Meter: work with modified kext in the forums.

All external volume controls, drives and ports work properly.

Couldnt be happier really. Good Luck.

If you have any more luck with the ethernet kext please post your findings. I have an intel wireless card so I'm stuck with no connectiviy which sucks because everything else works so well!

Oh and btw. What are you using as a bootloader. I tried using acronis boot loader for a while but I kept on having to launch dos to fixboot and fixmbr all of the time because I would get no operationg system found errors :blink:

Since I switched from 10.4.3 to 10.4.5 about four months ago, I have had absolutely no incidents of system instability (no operating system crashes, no kernal panics, no problems) and this machine stays on 24/7 (without sleeping).

I have an HP Pavillion, started with 10.4.3, Now running JaS 10.4.7 This is the most stable OS that I have ever used, don't know why it took so long for me to realize how good OS X is. I was a WDOZ user for so many years I forget. I have not had one crash my XBench comes in at About 102 and as you can see my hardware is a little more than casual. I will be wiping Vista and XP in the next couple of days. I am selling this laptop and buying a Mac Book Pro.

Oh Here are my system specs:

HP Pavillion zd8230us

Intel P4 3.4GHZ HT

ATI Radeon X600 128MB PCIe QE, QE2, CI

17" Wide Screen 1440x900

2GB (2x1024MB) 400MHz DDR

Digital DriveBays x2

Conexant Sound Card

150GB ATA-Maxtor HFS+

80GB ATA-WD NTFS

Built-In Bluetooth/Wireless

OS X JaS 10.4.7

Not working

PCMCIA-Texas Instruments

Honestly, I'm running such a basic system, and mine has never crashed. I don't have a soundcard, or graphics card, or a decent amount of memery. I'll probably upgrade all of it in the next few weeks, but look

Mac Os X 10.4.6 (JaS)

Intel P4 2.8 Ghz HT

256 Mb RAM

Onboard Sound

Intel Integrated Graphics

40Gb and 80Gb hard drives

It doesn't take a lot... I'm in college too, so that "crashing the night before a term paper is due" is important to me as well. From what people have been saying 10.4.7 is even more stable, so I may upgrade to that sometime soon. The only thing I'm working on now is trying to find a copy of iLife'06.. I found some torrents, but it's 6 Gigs, so that may take awhile.

I'm running a complete stable system. No crashes or nothing and i'm using my Hackintosh for audio recording with Logic to a external firewire-disc. I'm getting great trackcounts and can use a lot of real-time plugins. Everything on my system is working except onboard sound ( i know how to get that working but i don't use the onboard sound).

Specs:

Intel Pentium Dual Core 805 OC 3,2 GHZ (aircooling)

Asus P5LD2-VM Mainboard

Onboard GMA550 graphics.

2 GB DDR RAM

Sweex Firewire PCI-card

Netgear WG311 wireless (this is the only component which needed patching -> 10.4.3 kext). Recognized as airport

M-Audio Fasttrack Pro USB (drivers on M-audio site)

Tascam US-122 USB (drivers on Tascam site)

SATA 200Gb Drive

I'm running OSX 10.4.7 (10.4.6 JaS install with 10.4.7 update)

X-Bench-score with Quartz 2d Extreme enabled and Beam sync off : 116.6 (without harddisk) - 105 (with harddisk testing).

All in all i'm very happy with my Hackintoch and deleted my windows-partition completely.

T.

• 1 month later...

I use it at work (I'm a PC repair tech :P) and i love it.

Specs:

2.8GHZ Dual Core P4

Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF

1GB Kingston Value Ram

On-Board sound and video

Intel Pro/100S PCI NIC

Maxtor SATA II 160GB (Windows XP)

Seagate IDE 160GB (OS X)

LG 16x Dual Layer DVDRW

It's fast as hell, and I don't have to worry about the viruses that come in on customers' computers infecting my machine over the network. The only thing that doesn't work is the audio in, but I really don't need it here.

As far as stable goes all i can say is it's like a rock.
which release are you using - one from Myzar or one from JaS .. :tomato:

.. just kidding and beeing naughty.. :D - oh I know, one of these superb releases from hotiso .. :censored2:

Stable as hell on all machines I've installed it on. If I had accellerated graphics, a Mac EMule client, and no kextcache problems I'd install OS X on the larger partition on my HD and dump Windows entirely.

Well. My hackintosh is not as stable as I wished it was.

I've had plenty of crashes of Safari and Camino, and iMail.

New OSX install coming tomorrow

• 1 month later...

mine for the most aprt is stable for some reason my internet cuts out but i mgiht of fixed that but ill kno if it happens again but yea im gettin i life and office for it and i have a lot of other apps that work greeat

i have the QE etc working on my 9800 pro 128mb agp oh and im running on 10.4.6 (to lazy to update to latest will update when 10.5 comes out)

my specs are

p4 Presscot 3.0ghrzs (wierd but no prob says i have 2 1.5 p4s)

ECS Mobo wit a via chipset

1gb pc2100 ram (runs osx good)

ati 9800 pro 128 agp (works with QE adn all trhat stuff)(1074x768 @ 60htz)

DVD and CD BUrner (works with burning and dvd player works)

USB (works decently only sometimes reconizes my Ecternal HD and Ipod but works)

80gb IDE HD (works good)

intagrated sound (only one channel but it works)

integrated lan (works but internet sometimes cuts out)

but i am happy though with it so despite the minor probs here and there it is mostly functional and stable.

Switched to mine as the main machine and use it for everything (g4 power mac was the main machine) and it is 100% stable also.

pentium D 920 (both cores recognised)

2 gb paired ddr2 533 mhz ram

intel 945 chipset (QE/CI work)

radeon 1600 (QE/CI and rotate wortking)

2 x sata2 hdd

pioneer burner

100 mbit ethernet works

audio works

10.4.8 JAS

there are no image/mouse tearing issues. All PPC (os x) work, rosetta is fast dont even notice it ie can run UT2004 PPC version at highest quality better than the g4 1.4 ghz.

tripple boot: default os x (15 seconds to boot from cold start, thats including a 3 second wait in GRUB), linux

and XP for games

things that dont work and havn't bothered making it work yet

1 sleep

2 restart

3 screen spanning (dont think it works for any non-laptops)