Help him get a G5

jihuiwen

12 posts in this topic

1. That was just wrong.

2. Sawtooths can bring $300+ on a sale.

3. You can spend less than the cost of a G5, and make it just as fast.

4. That was just wrong.

5. I would have bought it.

6. I want to see his hummer blown up.

1. That was just wrong.

2. Sawtooths can bring $300+ on a sale.

3. You can spend less than the cost of a G5, and make it just as fast.

4. That was just wrong.

5. I would have bought it.

6. I want to see his hummer blown up.

3. No you can't. You're still limited by slow bus speeds, RAM speed and quantity limitations, etc. The best upgrades out there seems to be dual 1.8 G4's. I don't know why you think that would be faster than a dual 2.7 G5. Plus a G5 will have SATA support, firewire 800, etc. Sure it costs more, but he's not paying for it, so why would he care?

6. I think that was his friend's hummer. And why would you wish that on someone?

Apart from the ethics of blowing up a (presumably) perfectly good computer, I thought that as amateur video it was well produced and very amusing.

It just goes to show that real-life explosions probably never look like the magnificent CG you see on the Big Screen. Much in the same way as you can't actually push a few buttons and turn a garbage picture into a detailed face, run a phone call through a computer and extract the guy's location from the background sound, crack the bad guy's password in 20 seconds with a few keystrokes and some super program, or actually find a computer which makes strange chirps, tweets and electronic burbles with every display change... The wonders of film!

Apart from the ethics of blowing up a (presumably) perfectly good computer, I thought that as amateur video it was well produced and very amusing.

It just goes to show that real-life explosions probably never look like the magnificent CG you see on the Big Screen. Much in the same way as you can't actually push a few buttons and turn a garbage picture into a detailed face, run a phone call through a computer and extract the guy's location from the background sound, crack the bad guy's password in 20 seconds with a few keystrokes and some super program, or actually find a computer which makes strange chirps, tweets and electronic burbles with every display change... The wonders of film!

Well he said in the beginning that he worked with creating videos for a living, that was why he needed a G5.

As I had a turn at the military I can just say that an explosion (conventional legacy explosives) does look rather dull, but the sound and feel is the real opposite comparing to the movies. And the other things you say are also hilarious, but on the other hand it is amazing what technology can do! (and why do cell phones have the keypress beeps on by default???)

While I'm sure some inner city kid would have benifitted from using that computer, you have to atleast appreciate this guys creativeness. He came up with a creative game plan to get a new mac and executed it. I wish I'd thought of it honestly

3. No you can't. You're still limited by slow bus speeds, RAM speed and quantity limitations, etc. The best upgrades out there seems to be dual 1.8 G4's. I don't know why you think that would be faster than a dual 2.7 G5. Plus a G5 will have SATA support, firewire 800, etc. Sure it costs more, but he's not paying for it, so why would he care?

6. I think that was his friend's hummer. And why would you wish that on someone?

No, but it will outrun a 1.8. And has GCD loops scores of that of a 2.3. Raw data processing is just as fast, if not faster, than most G5s. Quake 4 at 45fps, and I have no complaints. The processor alone for this machine was $400.

http://www.kore-net.com/office/sawtooth.jpg

G5s are also dual core. Which, if he got the dual-dual core G5 tower, that's 2.5 ghz per core.That's a quad CPU setup basically.10 ghz.The ram in a G4 only operates at I think 166 mhz or 266 max. G5 tower has DDR2 533 mhz.And, can go up to 16 gb DDR2. The G4s upgrade dual CPU, both are only at 1.8 ghz.3.06 ghz.Compared to 10 ghz. A lot more performance.