NEW MONITOR!Not working with hackintosh :(

jakz

7 posts in this topic

Hello I just got my new monitor and im hyperexcited about it... well I was until I found out that mac doesent like it... well it doesent say it anywhere but lets say its from personal experience... Its a 24"" LED backlit acer S243HL....

IT DOES work with VGA- to DVI conversion but that looses alot of picture quality and I also get alot of artifacts... (strange stripes going over the monitor etc)...

The monitor has 1x VGA port and 2x HDMI... HDMI is equal to dvi, only that it also carries a sound... my graphics card is 9800GT so it doesent have an HDMI port, so I have a cable with HDMI at the one end and DVI to another... going from uncompressed digital to digital doesent loose picture quality, but from analog to digital it does...

Ok let me specify the problem a little bit.

when I boot up to mac, once it has loaded and it should start loading the desktop and everything the monitor just says "no signal". also If I connect it to the computer while its in mac it just crashes and I have to restart ... well of course that wont help but yeah.

I tought this is related to the graphics card in some way, so is there anyone who knows a fix for this?

I would be very, VERY appriciated if ANYONE could ANYHOW help me....

Thanks, Jako.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? -x parameter while booting. It could be your drivers acting up with a new display, or forcing a weird resolution or something like that. Programming video drivers is way above my level.

Try booting with -x. If that works, repair permissions, clear your kext caches, remove or edit your display properties in your video driver kext, and boot with -f to force a recheck... Also try booting with "Graphics Mode"=your native resolution in the form "1680x1050x32" (which is mine, for example). That said, "Graphics Mode" has never done jack for me, so good luck.

If that doesn't work, but you can boot with -x, you will need to find a different way of making your 9800 work (NVEnabler, EFI strings, GraphicsEnabler, etc, just try something else and see if it works).

If you can't boot with -x, then I have no clue what to do.

I know that there are plenty of problems with resolution changing/ specific resolutions in osx86 because all the video drivers are essentially hacked. For example, I can't run full-screen programs or change my resolution in any way- when I try the screen just goes to white static, even though everything is still running (I can hear games continuing to play in the background, etc).

wow thanks for your help!It did boot in safe mode, so it seems that mac is problaby setting a resolution that my monitor does not support... I will now try the resolution thingy you gave me.

Many many thanks!!! ;)

Have you tried booting in safe mode? -x parameter while booting. It could be your drivers acting up with a new display, or forcing a weird resolution or something like that. Programming video drivers is way above my level.

Try booting with -x. If that works, repair permissions, clear your kext caches, remove or edit your display properties in your video driver kext, and boot with -f to force a recheck... Also try booting with "Graphics Mode"=your native resolution in the form "1680x1050x32" (which is mine, for example). That said, "Graphics Mode" has never done jack for me, so good luck.

If that doesn't work, but you can boot with -x, you will need to find a different way of making your 9800 work (NVEnabler, EFI strings, GraphicsEnabler, etc, just try something else and see if it works).

If you can't boot with -x, then I have no clue what to do.

I know that there are plenty of problems with resolution changing/ specific resolutions in osx86 because all the video drivers are essentially hacked. For example, I can't run full-screen programs or change my resolution in any way- when I try the screen just goes to white static, even though everything is still running (I can hear games continuing to play in the background, etc).

Damn... if I have my small, old monitor connected and I then plug in my big monitor then mac crashes. same problem when I boot with both displays connected.One time it didnt crash but once I pressed detect displays it crashed again... :) there has to be a fix out there!!!!