G5 Front I/O Cable

stefan1333

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

apparently dontthroworanges stopped making those cables.

Does anyone know how to build them? Actually I need an Apple 18pin connector (where to get?!) and the connector's makeup layout only.

Some pics:

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3621.jpg

DSCF3624.jpg

Thanks.

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the original cable (short female-female) that comes with the G5, you can use one of these to do a male-atx connector cable:

post-51637-1272354410_thumb.jpg

These are pretty easy to find. You need to cut the right size (18 pins) and solder the atx (power, usb, etc) cables to it. Then connect it to the original cable

post-51637-1272354894_thumb.jpg

Is not as clean as having the female connector but clean enough

• 3 weeks later...
If you have the original cable (short female-female) that comes with the G5, you can use one of these to do a male-atx connector cable:

These are pretty easy to find. You need to cut the right size (18 pins) and solder the atx (power, usb, etc) cables to it. Then connect it to the original cable

Thanks for the tip.

Where do I find the male-male 18 pin connector? I typed that in google and couldn't find anything that looked like that.

• 4 weeks later...

To the poster above me, I found one here: 28 pin header

My question is regarding the "male-atx connector cable". Where can I find that? I'd prefer one like in the photo shown above (black mesh wrapped).

As a side note, I just received a G5 case from work and plan to mod it in the coming months. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! I'm currently in 'sponge mode' with it (and collecting the needed parts).

My question is regarding the "male-atx connector cable". Where can I find that? I'd prefer one like in the photo shown above (black mesh wrapped).

You will have to make it!

I've made the one in the picture with the black mesh and everything.

You need to sold the cables (power, led, usd, etc) to the 18 pin connector.

Oh ok. I was under the impression that you bought something and then just cut off the ends and then did the soldering. Do you think that would be possible? If not, then could you provide some info on how you went about making that?

Thanks!

Oh ok. I was under the impression that you bought something and then just cut off the ends and then did the soldering. Do you think that would be possible? If not, then could you provide some info on how you went about making that?

Thanks!

Not much to it. I got the ATX cables from an old case, and some Firewire/USB brackets I had on my 'spare-parts' box... (but you can make them too, as long as you need them)

Follow the pinout diagram from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=614504

Start with power button and led, then try them out... add the rest one by one. Is best to have a polymeter to test continuity in the connections (one polymeter pin at the end of the cable and one in the front panel board) to make really sure you are soldering the right one.

or,

You can solder all the cables to the connector and then figure out which one is what (again with the polymeter)

I had some wires wrong so instead of soldering again I just left the cables on place and twist the end going to motherboard

Once you have all connections working finish it with mesh and those thermal rubber tubes. If you have some hot glue gun around, glue the soldered pins to avoid the wires to go off...

• 3 months later...

Can someone reupload the pictures?

Hello,

apparently dontthroworanges stopped making those cables.

Does anyone know how to build them? Actually I need an Apple 18pin connector (where to get?!) and the connector's makeup layout only.

Some pics:

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3621.jpg

DSCF3624.jpg

Thanks.

Stefan

Just found something that might be of interest to some americans. A shop where you can get 1mm pitch wires made up.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=23602

And for people in the UK, you can get a 0.1mm pitch 2x1 block pack of 25 from here http://www.active-robots.com/products/comp...r-housing.shtml

Still looking for somewhere to get the wires though