SL on Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe

Jaykob

55 posts in this topic

Does anyone have experience with this board and Snow Leopard?

It's an Atom 330 ION board: AT3IONT-I Deluxe

Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere or if there are already guides out, but I didn't find anything concerning this board.

It would make a perfect media center PC ;)

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE JUNE 22: I've got this board (the AT3IONT-I, not deluxe) working very wellnow after a bit of teething problems and using it as htpc. the following text is messy, i'll clean up the text up later.

USB booting is flakey - don't bother its just not worth the wasted time, pop your drive into the sata port instead

0. Format drive of interest as GPT partition (take note of the disk identifier number)

1. Installation from vanilla Snow Leopard Installation DVD onto usb hdd or whatever

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/system/installation/packages/osinstall.mpkg

2. Install Chameleon [http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out]

3. Kexts in /Extra/Extensions

Disabler.kext fakesmc.kext Realtek1000SL.kext UUID.kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext HDAenabler.kext Legacy888bHDA.kext

chown and chmod /Extra

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/INSERTNAMEHERE/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/INSERTNAMEHERE/Extra/Extensions/

files in /Extra

smbios.plist (MacPro) com.apple.Boot.plist

Required Flags in com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</key>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

4. Put Hdd into the AT3IONT-I machine or try USB [had heaps and heaps of issues with random waiting for boot device]

enable hyperthreading and AHCI in BIOS

boot the machine

run MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3v1.1.dmg

run .27ae script and copy patched files to /S/L/E

copy AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 into /S/L/E

chown and chmod S/L/E

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

copy patched kernel [mach_kernel 10.3.0 (Mac OS X 10.6.3) Fixed 64-bit mode] to root

reboot

hopefully it works

known problems

onboard sound - crackles with voodooHDA in 10.6.3 (not an issue for me, as using usb sound so lowest priority) - working now

only 10mbit ethernet. (working on this one - really annoying when transferring large files) -fixed

-64-bit kernel panics (not the end of the world, may look into it)

-cold reboot - crashes sometimes during boot, then boots fine (working on it)

- vlc/quicktime 720p - stutters badly. 720/1080p plays fine with MPlayer OSX Extended tho.

nb: yes you can edit dsdt for HDEF, however running one more kext is just fine. USB probs will most likely get fixed via dsdt edit also... next time i have time

just to let any potentials out there know. i've been using this boards as my htpc for 3 weeks without a hickup. its a great ITX board. a few probs that may get ironed out, however for the purpose its perfect atm.

known problems

-onboard sound (not an issue, as using usb sound so lowest priority)

-only 10mbit ethernet. (working on this one - really annoying when transferring large files)

-64-bit kernel panics (will look into it)

-cold reboot - crashes sometimes during boot, then boots fine (working on it)

- vlc/quicktime 720p - stutters badly. 720/1080p plays fine with MPlayer OSX Extended tho.

How come the problems? Its Realtek sound and LAN so both should be easy with kexts? Have you done a DSDT for it and editted for sound kext?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I tried installing OSX 10.5.0-8 to the AT3IONT-I (not deluxe) and it stops because of this.

USBF: Unable to initialize UIM

Still Waiting for Root Device

And it keeps going on and on and on.

How do you fix this?

How come the problems? Its Realtek sound and LAN so both should be easy with kexts? Have you done a DSDT for it and editted for sound kext?

havn't edited the dsdt yet. will do that when i get some time. Possibly in a week or so.

edit: ethernet now working

The computer is working perfectly fine no KP or restarts needed

Alright I tried installing OSX 10.5.0-8 to the AT3IONT-I (not deluxe) and it stops because of this.

USBF: Unable to initialize UIM

And it keeps going on and on and on.

How do you fix this?

this info may have been lost in my previous post. However, USB has major problems with booting on the board.

Take your disc out of the usb enclosure and use internal sata instead. This will solve your problems. Also install snow leopard as it will work for sure. If there is actual interest ill invest more time into the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Nargot,

I registered on the board just to say that there definitely is an interest in your findings. Keep up the good work!

I didn't find any mention of the wireless on your "known problems" list. Does that mean that it's working without problems, or that it is something that you don't care about?

Cheers!

I just realized my mistake, you clearly write that you don't have the deluxe version. My bad!

According to the ubuntu system testing tool, the wifi-card included in the deluxe version is the Atheros AR9285 (rev 01). which seems to be kind of bad news. I'll keep you posted if I get it running.

Alright I finally got everything running.

heres what i did.

I used iatkos S3

i can't remember what i installed for patches (i know installed a bunch of things i didn't need but it was just to be safe) and things but i know for sure for my boot loader i used PCEFI and the kernel i used was modified for atom. when installing go to customize.

also after installing i was able to update to 10.6.4 without a problem.

i still need to use the sound fix nargot gave us.

also i had to change Some of of the BIOS settings to get rid of the first problem i had with USB. so right now all is good.

never mind maybe updating is a bad idea this thing is running super glitchy. Is it just my computer or is everyones running very delayed like your bottom bar wont magnify until you click on it then it freezes once you let go of the mouse. also photoshop is running weird too it wont show changes until you manually refresh it. so is this just my computer or is everyones like this?

Alright I finally got everything running.

heres what i did.

I used iatkos S3

i can't remember what i installed for patches (i know installed a bunch of things i didn't need but it was just to be safe) and things but i know for sure for my boot loader i used PCEFI and the kernel i used was modified for atom. when installing go to customize.

also after installing i was able to update to 10.6.4 without a problem.

i still need to use the sound fix nargot gave us.

also i had to change Some of of the BIOS settings to get rid of the first problem i had with USB. so right now all is good.

What is the graphic card you select? I can start with -x, and can't use with the internal graphic card.

Thanks for the iATKOS suggestion.

I managed to install 10.6.3 without to much problems (iATKOS S3 v2). A few notes from the installation procedure that may be of use to someone else:

Apart from the default installation selections I selected PC_EFI v10.6 bootloader with 32-bit boot and the Graphics Enabler as bootloader options. I also selected the Atom Kernel and the Realtek RTL8168 Wired Network Driver.

The NVEnabler appears to not work so well and the default 64-bit boot also seems to make the startup procedure crash. Do anyone else share my experience?

Although the system profiler cannot identify the exact model of my GPU, it appears as if the GPU is working rather well. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly (for example using HD video) but the welcome-video played just fine, and the Dashboard ripple-effect runs smoothly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi here:)

im trying to install iATKOS S3 v2 from SATA DVD drive and have some troubles:

USBF: 1.556 EHCI controller unable to take control from bios

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] start unable to initialize UIM

Still waiting for root device

Can u help me to fix this problem?

Many thanks

Hi here:)

im trying to install iATKOS S3 v2 from SATA DVD drive and have some troubles:

USBF: 1.556 EHCI controller unable to take control from bios

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

USBF: 1.556 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3c79800] start unable to initialize UIM

Still waiting for root device

Can u help me to fix this problem?

Many thanks

http://thebackpackr.com/hackintosh-bios-settings/

use the screenshots of this guys bios and make sure that the settings are the same. then it should work at least thats what i did to fix it when i had that problem.

has anyone tried 3D acceleration or know how to get it to work some of the 3D games and apps won't work. they quit while loading saying that they can't run 3D acceleration.

• 1 month later...

I'm tring to get this set up on my at3iont-i deluxe. I finally managed to get a vanilla install booting by disabling hyperthreading. How did you get it working with hyperthreading enabled? Also, I've got no ethernet or audio, how did you guys get ethernet working on the deluxe version.

I've tried installing from iatkos, but it just loads for a long time with the apple logo, and then another darker grey screen pops up and does some more loading, then my computer just shuts down.

Again, I'm using the deluxe version of this board. Any help would be appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

@Nargot

Can you please confirm the board has Realtek LAN as well. Can't seem to confirm elsewhere and as my purchase depends on a board with Realtek LAN for its other use (Amiga-like OS called AROS) I need to be sure.

Also any DSDT sorted yet? I'm sure it would improve matters to have a good DSDT. I think there are some helpful guides at Tonymacx86.com

I have the at3iont-i deluxe and have succesfully installed iAtkos s3,

I have Qe/CI enabled with NVDarwin, resolution 1080i over hdmi works great

Kernel flags: -graphicsenabler -arch=i386

wired network card works

wifi does not work (but is not an issue for me as i am using wired connection)

only problem i have is that i have no sound over hdmi, and this would be great as i im using this as a htpc connected through hdmi to 40''lcd.

Does anyone have an idea if sound over hdmi is possible and how i should make this work?

Thx

• 4 weeks later...

I received my AT3IONT-I Deluxe a few days ago, and am having an awful time with SL :)

I am using mechdrew's NBI CD method to install, as this method worked perfectly for my D945GCLF setup... I can install retail SL, but getting it to boot and run reliably is another story.

I have hyperthreading OFF, and SATA to AHCI, booting with arch=i386; DVD drive is connected to the board in SATA slot, not as external USB.

I flashed BIOS to 0501, and am reinstalling SL now, under 0406...

I have yet to try the more advanced kernel upgades to 10.6.3 and 10.6.4

I'll keep you posted... :(

BTW, for WIFI, replace the module with DW 1510; for BlueTooth, plug in an ASUS USB-BT21 dongle. Works OOO, no extra anything to install. wink_anim.gif

So, after another day of BIOS updates, OS reinstalls, and banging my head against the wall, this is where I am at. :)

I have a running vanilla install of 10.6.0 ( retail DVD from last year). I have WIFI ( DW 1510 card ) and bluetooth ( ASUS-BT21 ).

I have no sound ( I need to install voodooHDA I think ) and I am stuck at 800x600 screen resolution.

I am using mechdew's retail SL install method #3 ( http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi3.shtml ), as it has worked for me in the past with an Acer Aspire netbook and an Intel board w/ ATOM 230 CPU. Every time I try to run the NBI program, to create a DSDT.aml, my computer hangs, and I ruin my install and need to start over. Also, I tried to update to 10.6.2, via Apple's website, and upon reboot, my install was ruined. The only version of NBI that will work for me is 0.8.3 RC3 :)

I am trying to use NVenabler.kext to correct my resolution issue, but so far no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So, after another day of BIOS updates, OS reinstalls, and banging my head against the wall, this is where I am at. :)

I have a running vanilla install of 10.6.0 ( retail DVD from last year). I have WIFI ( DW 1510 card ) and bluetooth ( ASUS-BT21 ).

I have no sound ( I need to install voodooHDA I think ) and I am stuck at 800x600 screen resolution.

I am using mechdew's retail SL install method #3 ( http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi3.shtml ), as it has worked for me in the past with an Acer Aspire netbook and an Intel board w/ ATOM 230 CPU. Every time I try to run the NBI program, to create a DSDT.aml, my computer hangs, and I ruin my install and need to start over. Also, I tried to update to 10.6.2, via Apple's website, and upon reboot, my install was ruined. The only version of NBI that will work for me is 0.8.3 RC3 :)

I am trying to use NVenabler.kext to correct my resolution issue, but so far no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated! ;)

i have enabled all resolutions and qe/cl with NVDarwin (use google, don't know anymore where i got it).

sound works with VoodooHDA. Only problem i have left is sound over hdmi. else all sound working.

• 4 weeks later...